Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 69 days ago by Pinaddict91
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 28 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

605840987 (resized).jpg
20190111_204106 (resized).jpg
20190111_204153 (resized).jpg
20181229_182736 (resized).jpg
20180524_181047 (resized).jpg
928347_918272274853079_1789958523_innerspace (resized).jpg
SW2 (resized).jpg
DSCN0389 (resized).JPG
DSCN0004 (resized).JPG
DSCN0427 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_3243 (resized).JPG
IMG_3241 (resized).JPG
IMG_3249 (resized).JPG
IMG_3248 (resized).JPG
IMG_3247 (resized).JPG
IMG_3246 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

As my first EM,first pinball ever,machine serial number is also same as my birthday (April 14th),i saw this beautiful pin didnt had yet his own club so tonight is the night!Welcome to the Strange World club!Just got one of my best game tonight.Maybe not in points (at least 100 000 point from my record,) but for the more special!2 for 120,000 & 150,000 also 3 from kick out hole plus the 1 for matching score

#2 2 years ago

Let's see some pics of this great pin!!

#3 2 years ago

Strange World can be a score monster. Get all of the 5000 points lit. Scoring over 199,990 is very possible, and racking up the free plays is just part of the fun! All that with the pin set on 5 balls. There are no Extra Ball setting on this pin. 4 tricky shots with high risk.

For the casual player, there are no inlanes. This is easy to forget while playing. Trying to catch the ball, then watch it roll up the lower kickers into the out lane can be some what frustrating.

#4 2 years ago

Yep my record is 209160 pts at the moment,i was shocked when i roll the score reels twice.Played both 3 & 5 ball and the 5 is the way to go.BG is maybe not in good shape with rough cabinet but is still perfect to me

SW (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago

Since Strange World is my favorite Osborne design (indeed, my overall favorite wedgehead), I'll get this party started with some photos.

20160522_234742 (resized).jpg

20151122_160630 (resized).jpg

20151122_010508 (resized).jpg

20151122_010539 (resized).jpg

20151122_010512 (resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago

That playfield!Its a original?Look so perfect and those colors!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

That playfield!Its a original?Look so perfect and those colors!

Thank you. I got lucky. It's an all-original survivor.

The play meter reading was 37,507 when I acquired the game many years ago. The backglass is flawless. Strange World cabinets were prone to fading and this one has some fading in the lavender/pink graphics. I performed incidental touch-ups to the grid area primarily of the playfield. . .didn't need much attention, though. Best of all, the original instruction envelope and contents therein came with the game.

What I like so much about SW is that its fun-factor belies its appearance. No return flipper lanes. No spinners. No drop targets. One lousy kick-out hole, one rollover and some stand-up targets. . .seems like a giant yawn fest. Yet, it's just the opposite. It's a real player's game, requiring skill and strategy with, naturally a dose of strange luck.

Image 2 (resized).jpg

Image 1 (resized).jpg

20150909_221651 (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

I'll join in the fun. Here are pics of my all original machine that i'm very happy to own.

IMG_3237 (resized).JPG

IMG_3240 (resized).JPG

IMG_3245 (resized).JPG

IMG_3246 (resized).JPG

IMG_3247 (resized).JPG

IMG_3248 (resized).JPG

IMG_3249 (resized).JPG

IMG_3241 (resized).JPG

IMG_3243 (resized).JPG

#9 2 years ago

Wow, a couple of great looking machines there!! I love mine but the cab is faded and would love a new PF from Wade if we can get to the magic 20 number.

#10 2 years ago

Here are more photos.

DSCN0004 (resized).JPG

DSCN0389 (resized).JPG

This is the typical wear from the ball kicker, and wear around the inserts.
DSCN0427 (2) (resized).JPG

#11 2 years ago

Another thing on Strange World. Watch for metal spurs on the upper ball arch. There is a spot were a shot from the right flipper, that can go through the Pop Bumpers, the ball will create spurs which can cut your finger when waxing the playfield. Been there, done that.

#12 2 years ago

This is a brief snippet of information that is on the Internet.

675 built in February 1978. Design by John Osborne. Art by Gordon Morison.

26 Pinsiders have registered their S.W. There are 3 S.W. available for play in a public location.

On the International Pinball Serial Number Database, there are 32 registered serial numbers.

#13 2 years ago

Does yours have a Canada stamp in the machine?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Does yours have a Canada stamp in the machine?

Yes it does. Think it also has an 'EXPORT' stamp on it, or on the Gottlieb Envelope.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yes it does. Think it also has an 'EXPORT' stamp on it, or on the Gottlieb Envelope.

You probably have this Laniel stamp too:

SW2 (resized).jpg

#16 2 years ago

I hope to join this club someday. SW is easily the coolest EM pin in my opinion. *Love* the art on this one. If anyone on the east coast decides to part with theirs, I'll buy it!

#17 2 years ago

no.1 em on my want list

one day ill have one, my favorite art

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

You probably have this Laniel stamp too:

No, looks like a distributor, in Montreal. There are no arcade, or operator, stamps or decals on my pin.

Quick internet search for Laniel Automatic Inc. States it was founded in 1965, it is currently still located at 151 Chemin Rockland, and that they have 22 employees.

EDIT: Google Map search, can not see an address 151,. No older looking buildings either. A newer looking McDonalds in a good sized parking lot. There is a 150 Rockland, but it looks like it was a Post Office. Another address pops up with, de la Valee du Golf. That is a residential area across from a Golf Club. Also a listing for Self Serve Coffee machines.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

No, looks like a distributor, in Montreal. There are no arcade, or operator, stamps or decals on my pin.
Quick internet search for Laniel Automatic Inc. States it was founded in 1965, it is currently still located at 151 Chemin Rockland, and that they have 22 employees.

http://www.montrealpinball.com/blog/?view=plink&id=41

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

This is the typical wear from the ball kicker, and wear around the inserts.

Mine has a lot more wear than this. Someone on here was going to produce a decal, but not sure whatever happened to that. Would be a good interim solution whilst waiting on repro PF.

#21 2 years ago

The art is what attracted me to this machine at first and after playing it for about 6 months I must say it's a fun player too! It has a very interesting rule set despite not having drop targets. It might be in my top 5 wedge heads, definitely top 10.

#22 2 years ago

Strange world is my favorite machine and ot is the best I ever played imho.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Mine has a lot more wear than this. Someone on here was going to produce a decal, but not sure whatever happened to that. Would be a good interim solution whilst waiting on repro PF.

Manitouguy in Vancouver, BC is the Pinsider who was planning to create a grid decal.

Awhile ago, he started an entertaining thread about having over-utilized magic eraser on his Strange World grid. I am fairly sure that he did indeed make the decal.

1 week later
#24 2 years ago

"As Seen on TV". Morgan from Inner Space.

928347_918272274853079_1789958523_innerspace (resized).jpg

#25 2 years ago

This is a cool thread.

Gordon Morison really knocked it out on this machine.

I am also looking for a Strange World, and would be very interested in hearing from anyone selling within a reasonable driving distance of Texas

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#26 2 years ago

OK Strange World fans. What if the Yellow Number 1 Target was a spinner? Any comments?? Playing it tonight with some Vodka, gave me the idea. Not that I would modify my pin, but what if? The ball could go through that area, roll up through the Number 4 White, or hit the shooter lane, stop, then roll down the Number 2 Yellow. Or bounce back out, and go SDTM.

10 months later
#27 2 years ago

Just joined the club. Owner had it for 32 years. Backglass is rough.

20180524_181047 (resized).jpg

#28 2 years ago

Welcome to the club! Repro glasses are available, and we're working on playfields too over here if you're interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-wants-a-strange-world-playfield

#29 1 year ago

Welcome to the club! Repro glasses are available, and we're working on playfields too over here if you're interested.

Signed up for a playfeild really hope we can make it happen.

2 weeks later
#30 1 year ago

Sent the op of that thread a message about the new playfeilds. Never heard back.

3 months later
#31 1 year ago

Picked up a second strange world today!!

#32 1 year ago

Will post pics of both side by side today!!
Now i just have to figure out a price on the one i'm gonna sell.

#33 1 year ago

I have never played one of these.
Please do not hate me but it looks boring. Not a ton to shoot at.
However.... damn this thing oozes cool. That art package alone is phenomenal!!!

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I have never played one of these.
Please do not hate me but it looks boring. Not a ton to shoot at.
However.... damn this thing oozes cool. That art package alone is phenomenal!!!

I thought it looked boring to.... until I bought one. Now it's my second favorite em. The slingshot angles and no in lanes make it very fast to play.

2 months later
#35 1 year ago

I’d like to join the club.....let me know where I can find one

#36 1 year ago

Strange World garners the most attention, followed by Blue Note, in my line-up. I utilize a black-colored ball in Strange World because it mimics the black eyeballs in Morison's fantastic art package.

20181229_182736 (resized).jpg
#37 1 year ago

Here is how the black pinball ball appears in Strange World. To me, it mimics the alien eye motif in the plastics and on Morison's backglass art. . .very psychedelic.

20190111_204106 (resized).jpg20190111_204153 (resized).jpg
#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I’d like to join the club.....let me know where I can find one

Well...how much do you want one?

sacramento.craigslist.org link

#39 1 year ago

I really wish I had the cash for that one...

4 months later
#40 11 months ago

damn i wish i had still mine

3 months later
#41 7 months ago

Hello all, Question for the club,

I've had my SW for almost a year now (Recently picked up a nice original glass, and am on the list for a PF, so I guess I'm married to it now).

I recently had an opportunity to play a nice one at a local tournament.

The set up was quite a bit different than mine, most notably, the yellow no. 2 lane on the right side would send the ball between the flippers, probably about a 25% drain for skillful players who are being consciencious of tilt ending game.

On my set up, this lane has a bit more bend on the metal, and it consistently lands to the left flipper.

Also, on mine the upper slingshot will throw the ball into the pop-bumper area.

Curious to know about the behaviour for others in this club, so far as set up goes.

Thanks!

5 months later
#42 69 days ago

Honored to belong to this select club. Unfortunatly mine needs a chime unit and a pop bumper coil as they are missing on mine if anyone has one used for cheap they would sell me id be appriciative thanks

605840987 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
€ 8.40
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside