• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0163_(1)_(resized).JPG
IMG_0165_(1)_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Whenever I get all three (3's) lit up, my game keeps scoring 5,000 points repeatedly. This doesn't happen with any other three of a kind, just the (3's). I've posted what I think are relevant portions of the schematic in case someone is better at reading them than me. I'm thinking it's just a switch blade that needs adjusting, but I can figure out what one. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_0165_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_0165_(1)_(resized).JPG

IMG_0163_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_0163_(1)_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

One of the #3 targets has a switch stuck closed (either the green or yellow standups, or the white rollover).

Also be sure to check the backing blades as a possibility:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-tech-tip-mystery-stuck-switches

#3 8 years ago

DF, you are amazing. We are very lucky to have you here @ Pinside.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

One of the #3 targets has a switch stuck closed (either the green or yellow standups, or the white rollover).
Also be sure to check the backing blades as a possibility:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-em-tech-tip-mystery-stuck-switches

Damn you're good! A stuck switch indeed. I thought I checked them all, but not close enough! Donating $10 to Pinside to show my appreciation.

Thanks!

#5 8 years ago

Excellent. Enjoy the game.

#6 8 years ago

Well, I'm back with one more problem. I just realized that the ten point features aren't scoring or ringing the chime, though everything is fine if I actuate the relay in the head. I know it's got to be something simple again, but I can't figure it out. I really need to learn how to read schematics!

#7 8 years ago

Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

#8 8 years ago

There are three "10 point" switches and three "kicking rubber" switches that can activate the 10 point relay (N).

Then when N activates, a switch closing on N activates the 10's score reel coil. (And another switch on N activates the corresponding chime.)

Since you say that:
a) manually activating N works OK; and
b) none of the six playfield features scores the 10 points,

that would suggest a problem at the Jones plug connecter running from the playfield to the backbox.

Other possibilities would typically include N being stuck on energized (caused by a stuck switch on the playfield, or EOS switch not opening on the 10's reel), but that's eliminated by N working OK manually. Or a normally closed switch at motor 1C being open, which would prevent all 10 point features from scoring, but it would also prevent pop bumper scoring, which you don't mention as having an issue.

So based on the symptoms, the one possibility that fits is a bad connection at the Jones plug. Could just be dirty, not seated fully, or a loose wire.

But maybe there are more symptoms to find too.

#9 8 years ago

Dirt Flipper,

I forgot to mention the pop bumper not scoring-you were right again-it was a normally closed switch at motor 1C being open. It looked closed, but with a bright light and magnifying classes, sure enough, it was open. Many thanks, once again!
I just made another donation to Pinside to show my appreciation.

#10 8 years ago

Aha, trick question then!

Glad you got it sorted.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

I just made another donation to Pinside to show my appreciation.

Excellent, this site runs on donations. On behave of Pinside, thank you. Enjoy your "Newly fixed" game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-world-acting-strangely and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.