You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zSheriff-Work-2 (resized).jpg
zSheriff-Work-1 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hi pinsiders
can You enlighten me ? I believe to understand the stepping of Player Unit (caused by SCM-2C and maybe caused by "PB2 - P2G etc."). I do not understand the "marked red" wiring in JPG-1. (((ZB is the "First-Ball-Relay"))) Greetings Rolf

P.S.: The reason I start my topic is: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-sheriff-scoring-issue - I startet to have an closer look at "Sheriff" stepping the Player Unit.

zSheriff-Work-1 (resized).jpgzSheriff-Work-1 (resized).jpg

zSheriff-Work-2 (resized).jpgzSheriff-Work-2 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Rolf, it creates a short pulse that trips the LB (last ball) relay when there is more than one person playing. This short pulse is sandwiched between the 4th and 5th pulse of the motor 1A pulse stream.

They did this in order for the LB trip circuit to use part of the player unit advance and the XB (game over) relay trip circuit. Most of that circuit is designed to do two things:

- Step the player unit advance solenoid the correct amount depending on the number of players selected.
- Trip the XB relay after the last ball has been played by the last player in that game.

If there are two players, for example, then XB must not trip until after the 2nd player has played their last ball.

However, the LB relay must trip at the START of the 1st-player playing the last ball. I will use the example of a 5-ball game and 2 people playing. When the player unit lands at position 16 (1st player, ball 5) there is no current going to the rivets at position 16 because the PB2 switch is open (two people playing). In order to use the player-unit rivets at position 16 to send a pulse to trip the LB relay, a short pulse is sandwiched between the 4th and 5th pulse of the motor 1A pulse stream. This trips the LB relay but does not step the player unit forward or trip the XB relay:

- The player unit advance solenoid does not see the LB trip pulse because the motor 1A switch for the ADD PLAYER UNIT coil is open.
- The XB relay does not see the LB trip pulse because the motor 1C switch is open.

Hope this helps! - TimMe

#3 7 years ago

Hi TimMe
thanks for the enlightement. The schematics "Sheriff" shows "pulling LB = Bonus-Value-Relay lights Double-Bonus-Light". The "XB" is "Last-Ball-Relay". So using these words Your post-2 describes how "Double Bonus is lighted" when the first of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 players gets his Last Ball.

I checked with the schematics of my "Far Out" - "LB = Double Bonus Relay" - same functionality as "Sheriff". (((Far Out also has: CX = Double Bonus Relay - as I am rewarded with Double Bonus IF I HIT ALL TEN Drop-Down-Targets)))

Thanks, I have learned something important, greetings Rolf

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the correction, Rolf! I don't have a schematic for Sheriff, so I used the wrong names for the relays.

However, the circuit still operates the way I described it. LB is always tripped at the very beginning of the last ball, to provide double bonus for all players. XB is tripped when the ball lands in the outhole after the last ball of the last player.

If I remember correctly, the purpose of XB in this application is to allow one final score motor cycle to occur which awards any match replays, and then the game over relay is tripped.

- TimMe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-wiring-on-gottlieb-player-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.