(Topic ID: 288927)

Strange Wire to Replay/Match Unit - for Free Play?

By wichitakid71

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Schematic 2 (resized).JPG
Schematic 1 (resized).JPG
Jack Layout 1 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_9501 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9510 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9511 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I've just about got my bad/broken wiring issues sorted out on my new (to me) 1974 Williams Strato-Flite. What's left is a confusing set up involving the replay stepper and one of my relays. In the process of fixing the broken line connection to the 10 point, 100 point and 1000 point relays, I found another broken wire (yellow in photos below) that looks like it used to run from the line in on the 1000 point relay to the replay stepper coil. There at the coil, this wire was connected to the wire from the 100 point relay (the brown-black wire in the photos below) which would advance the stepper according to the schematic. A photo of the stepper coil is shown below. The wires are not soldered to the coil.

It is missing the line in on the other lug, but I found this elsewhere in the back box (a loose red wire that I traced back to the plug). I have seen in multiple articles that disconnecting a wire from the replay stepper is done when a game is set to freeplay. When I checked on the credit unit stepper, the top switch is adjusted to remain closed for freeplay. So assuming the missing line in on the replay stepper coil was removed because the machine was now free to play, did this yellow wire from the other lug of the coil serve some purpose, either before or after it was converted to freeplay? I'm trying to figure out if I'm safe to remove it and discard it, or if it serves some purpose either in the ordinary operation of the machine or in the modified-for-freeplay version. I can not find an explanation for this wire on the schematic.

Thank you for your help diagnosing this one.

Scott

IMG_9501 (resized).jpegIMG_9501 (resized).jpegIMG_9510 (resized).jpegIMG_9510 (resized).jpegIMG_9511 (resized).jpegIMG_9511 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from wichitakid71:

I found another broken wire (yellow in photos below) that looks like it used to run from the line in on the 1000 point relay to the replay stepper coil. There at the coil, this wire was connected to the wire from the 100 point relay (the brown-black wire in the photos below) which would advance the stepper according to the schematic.

Yellows are one of the two power rails on this machine, the other being black. The manual shows a BLU-W going with the BR-B on the 100.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#3 3 years ago

I have seen in multiple articles that disconnecting a wire from the replay stepper is done when a game is set to freeplay. When I checked on the credit unit stepper, the top switch is adjusted to remain closed for freeplay. So assuming the missing line in on the replay stepper coil was removed because the machine was now free to play, did this yellow wire from the other lug of the coil serve some purpose, either before or after it was converted to freeplay? I'm trying to figure out if I'm safe to remove it and discard it,

I never heard of disconnecting wires for freeplay, but someone else might have. Don't discard anything at this point.

#4 3 years ago

Maybe trying to hack a knocker or chime to go off at certain times

#5 3 years ago

I'm looking at the pages of the manual and the schematic shown below. If I'm reading correctly, the red wire in position 2 on the 24 pin jack in the back box is carrying power to one side of both the relays and the replay unit. This matches up with me finding two red wires soldered to the jack but hanging loose in the box. There was also part of a broken red wire still attached at the 1000 pt relay.

What makes no sense to me is the broken yellow wire. Why would it be on the relay at all if the red was supplying the power? The fact that the yellow is attached to the relay side of the replay unit coil also makes no sense to me. One side should be red per the schematic, and the other side is the Br-B on the schematic (which is still there, running between the 100 pt relay and the coil).

Is there a reason for multiple connections on the power side of a coil unless it is just daisy chaining multiple coils together to supply power? And does bypassing the coil in the case of the replay unit serve some purpose?

Since there is a yellow wire labeled as "feed" in position 8 on the 24 pin jack, I will trace it when I'm home to see if it is intact. Otherwise I'm at a loss to understand why the yellow wire would have connected the 1000 pt relay (from the power side) to the replay unit.

Jack Layout 1 (resized).JPGJack Layout 1 (resized).JPGSchematic 1 (resized).JPGSchematic 1 (resized).JPGSchematic 2 (resized).JPGSchematic 2 (resized).JPG
#6 3 years ago

If I'm reading correctly, the red wire in position 2 on the 24 pin jack in the back box is carrying power to one side of both the relays and the replay unit.

I see a R-GR going to the Ball Count unit. I would get away from looking at that chart for now and concentrate on the schematic and manual.

One side should be red per the schematic, and the other side is the Br-B on the schematic (which is still there, running between the 100 pt relay and the coil).

It shows BLU-WH as the other side.

#7 3 years ago

I think I've made things more confusing. The stepper coil I'm referring to is the continuous stepper that says "No. Match Unit." Not Ball Count or Credit Count. Sorry.

#8 3 years ago

I'm trying to understand, so tell me if this is wrong: something triggers the 100 pt relay coil to energize, which in turn triggers all the included switches. In the case of the no. match unit, the BLU-W and BR-B make a circuit and sends the signal on to the stepper to complete the circuit there, energize the coil and advance the match no. The wires that are confusing me were apparently joining two coils directly to each other which did not make sense to me.

Side note: are the pictures that I posted not of the schematic and manual? I got the Jack Layout from a manual purchased through PBR. The wiring diagram is from IPDB.

#9 3 years ago

The stepper coil I'm referring to is the continuous stepper that says "No. Match Unit."

Yep, got that.

are the pictures that I posted not of the schematic and manual?

No, they look fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-wire-to-replay-match-unit-for-free-play?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.