Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chucktee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chucktee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Could it possibly from one of the early SS pinballs (System 1-2) Aztec or Grand Prix prototypes?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I am with you on Rat Race

Made a quick check @ipdb.org and from what I saw there the mystery driver board IS NOT from Rat Race (uses a System 7 mpu/driver boardset) nor any of the prototype pinballs as I hypothesised. It's either a (early)shuffle allley as Brakandl has guessed or it's something really rare (perhaps the mythical System 5?!?)

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It looks like a system 3-6 driver board, except for the lower right hand corner. I'd say it's from that generation of games. I'd guess shuffle alley, as mentioned earlier.
    System 3-6 driver:

[edit]: Maybe not a shuffle alley. The only electronic Williams shuffle alleys I'm seeing use a version of the system 11B or WPC boardsets. Tic Tac Strike, Gold Mine, Top Dawg, Strike Master, Shuffle Inn, and League Champ.

The earliest Williams shuffle alleys were released under the United label until about 1984. The games were:
    Topaz (their first SS puck bowler/1978)
    Pompeii(1978)
    Aristocrat(1979)
    King Tut (1979?)
    Taurus (1979)
    Omni (1980)
    Big Strike (1983)
    Triple Strike (last game built under the United name/1983)

I am convinced that it is most likely a driver board for one of the above games; note the 40 pin connector (which means that it uses a system 3-6 mpu) and it has from what I can see 15(?) transistors to drive solonoids (just enough to drive the pins, reset coil w/a couple left over). Lord knows that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this but I cannot think of any other possibility.

#20 7 years ago

What would REALLY help us out here is an original copy (not a reprint) of the parts manual from that period-I've got the reprint but the parts numbers for boards (along w/Defender arcade) are omitted.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe these were secondary boards found in test rigs?

Good guess....hadn't thought of that one.

2 months later
    #46 7 years ago

Guess we'll won't be figuring this one out anytime soon...

#51 7 years ago

Nice pics! Thanks! I'm gonna take at least one more guess and say that it's an early version of the 3-6 driver board (perhaps used in the solid state versions of Hot Tip and Lucky Seven?) and they made changes that made it into the board we're more familiar with?!? We know they changed stuff on the MPU and power supply boards why not with the driver board too?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chucktee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-type-of-williams-driver-board-5763-09464-00?tu=chucktee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.