New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 164893)

Strange type of Williams Driver board 5763-09464-00

By csab00

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by chucktee
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hi Pinballfans!

I have bought recently couple of old Williams pinball boards.
    Among the boards there was a strange type of williams driver nr. 5763-09464-00
    I was looking for this board online but found no information.
    I thought it is from Hyperball but is not.
    May it can be used in a System 3-7 game but i am not sure.
    Any idea?

IMG_2864_(resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

I wonder if this is from a Williams video game...

#3 4 years ago

I have seen a few different ones, but never that one.

neat.

im guessing shuffle board

#4 4 years ago

I believe there was a heavily modified one used in Rat Race.

#5 4 years ago

Could it possibly from one of the early SS pinballs (System 1-2) Aztec or Grand Prix prototypes?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I believe there was a heavily modified one used in Rat Race.

I am with you on Rat Race

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from chucktee:

Could it possibly from one of the early SS pinballs (System 1-2) Aztec or Grand Prix prototypes?

if you look at the photos for prototype Aztec, those don't appear to be 6800/6820 based designs.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I am with you on Rat Race

Made a quick check @ipdb.org and from what I saw there the mystery driver board IS NOT from Rat Race (uses a System 7 mpu/driver boardset) nor any of the prototype pinballs as I hypothesised. It's either a (early)shuffle allley as Brakandl has guessed or it's something really rare (perhaps the mythical System 5?!?)

#9 4 years ago

What are the date codes on the ICs?

#10 4 years ago

Hyperball?

#11 4 years ago

Here's a Rat Race driver board (it's a highly modified System 7 driver board). I do believe the driver board in question is from a shuffle alley game.

image_(resized).jpeg

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

What are the date codes on the ICs?

The ones in the bottom right look original to the board and like TI chips from about 1975-1979 era.

Is rat race any fun?

#13 4 years ago

It looks like a system 3-6 driver board, except for the lower right hand corner. I'd say it's from that generation of games. I'd guess shuffle alley, as mentioned earlier.

System 3-6 driver:

pasted_image_(resized).png

[edit]: Maybe not a shuffle alley. The only electronic Williams shuffle alleys I'm seeing use a version of the system 11B or WPC boardsets. Tic Tac Strike, Gold Mine, Top Dawg, Strike Master, Shuffle Inn, and League Champ.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The ones in the bottom right look original to the board and like TI chips from about 1975-1979 era.
    Is rat race any fun?

It's fun to play a couple of games on at a show but similar games were commercial failures. I wouldn't want to pay for one or have it take up valuable space.

It might be like Ice cold Beer, best as a competitive game.

#15 4 years ago

It appears the only thing different is the lamp matrix design. What is the part number on those 8 drive transistors in the lower right corner.

Of course, there was some modification done over for the 6 special solenoid switch inputs ( upper left corner ) but that appears to have been an afterthought.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

It appears the only thing different is the lamp matrix design. What is the part number on those 8 drive transistors in the lower right corner.
    Of course, there was some modification done over for the 6 special solenoid switch inputs ( upper left corner ) but that appears to have been an afterthought.

Switch matrix is different too . 3 ics instead of 4 and they are rotated 90 degrees.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It looks like a system 3-6 driver board, except for the lower right hand corner. I'd say it's from that generation of games. I'd guess shuffle alley, as mentioned earlier.
    System 3-6 driver:

[edit]: Maybe not a shuffle alley. The only electronic Williams shuffle alleys I'm seeing use a version of the system 11B or WPC boardsets. Tic Tac Strike, Gold Mine, Top Dawg, Strike Master, Shuffle Inn, and League Champ.

The earliest Williams shuffle alleys were released under the United label until about 1984. The games were:
    Topaz (their first SS puck bowler/1978)
    Pompeii(1978)
    Aristocrat(1979)
    King Tut (1979?)
    Taurus (1979)
    Omni (1980)
    Big Strike (1983)
    Triple Strike (last game built under the United name/1983)

I am convinced that it is most likely a driver board for one of the above games; note the 40 pin connector (which means that it uses a system 3-6 mpu) and it has from what I can see 15(?) transistors to drive solonoids (just enough to drive the pins, reset coil w/a couple left over). Lord knows that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this but I cannot think of any other possibility.

#18 4 years ago

We have two of these. Got one in a barracorra and the other in a black knight? From memory. . Both from Germany. I assumed they were a late sys7 prototype ? Great board whatever they are

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from chucktee:

The earliest Williams shuffle alleys were released under the United label until about 1984. The games were:
    Topaz (their first SS puck bowler/1978)
    Pompeii(1978)
    Aristocrat(1979)
    King Tut (1979?)
    Taurus (1979)
    Omni (1980)
    Big Strike (1983)
    Triple Strike (last game built under the United name/1983)
    I am convinced that it is most likely a driver board for one of the above games; note the 40 pin connector (which means that it uses a system 3-6 mpu) and it has from what I can see 15(?) transistors to drive solonoids (just enough to drive the pins, reset coil w/a couple left over). Lord knows that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this but I cannot think of any other possibility.

TNT video for Big Strike. Looks like that one had closer to a standard system 3-6 driver board:

Taurus, but again, looks like a standard system 3-6 driver:

Aristrocrat with a system 3-6 driver:

Triple Strike:

It looks like Omni had something completely different:

King Tut, another odd boardset:

Couldn't find boardset photos/videos for Topaz or Pompeii.

#20 4 years ago

What would REALLY help us out here is an original copy (not a reprint) of the parts manual from that period-I've got the reprint but the parts numbers for boards (along w/Defender arcade) are omitted.

#22 4 years ago

If I can find it I know I had some from Mayfair amusements 15 years or so ago. I will post a picture when I find it.

#23 4 years ago

it wouldn't work in shuffle alley...because the shuffle needs the computer controlled lights....it uses pretty close to 60 of them...and the lower right of that board doesn;t support that! There may be a game we are not aware of....as I never saw that before...the Hyperball driver board is different...sorry I can't help! Todd

#24 4 years ago

Date code on the TI chips in the bottom right would be interesting. If they are like 1975, it could be an early prototype?

Perhaps a one off game that never went to production. who knows....

#25 4 years ago

Is it for varkon?

Edit, nm just looked at a pic of the boards in the back. Looks like it uses a regular driver board.

#26 4 years ago

So...what else did Williams produce around that time which may have needed a solenoid and lamp driver board?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuf_detail.php?manuf_id=2075&orig_game_id=9780&sort=3

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuf_detail.php?manuf_id=2417&orig_game_id=&sort=3

Did Williams produce any slot machines prior to the 90s? (edit: Nope, they started in 1994)

The board's part number has popped up a few times over the years, but it doesn't look like it was identified in those old threads: https://www.google.com/search?q=5763-09464-00&oq=5763-09464-00

#27 4 years ago

ive always assumed it was some sort of 'lets try this' prototype?

would you like pics of a working one with no parts missing?

#28 4 years ago

I almost think this might be for some kind of early redemption type of machine.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

I almost think this might be for some kind of early redemption type of machine.

As far as I'm aware, redemption games surfaced in the 90s during the WPC era. I can't think of anything that would have come out in the mid 70s to early 80s.

#30 4 years ago

Maybe these were secondary boards found in test rigs?

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Mine doesn't have 1 of them in it. And it's a factory williams one.

#32 4 years ago

Whoops, didn't mean to mark it NSFW, silly phone.

Not Aztec, those were similar to a Gottlieb set.

This isnt a system 1 board from the Grand Prix SS prototypes either.

Odd

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Whoops, didn't mean to mark it NSFW, silly phone.

If you click the button a second time, it will remove the NSFW tag you added. In any case, I cleared it off.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Good guess....hadn't thought of that one.

#35 4 years ago

I've always been amazed at the diversity of products that Williams produced and it's why I collect Williams. Pinball, Video games, arcade games, slot machines, novelty games, gun games, pachinko, pay phones, video lottery terminals, shuffle alleys, redemption games, jukeboxes, fortune telling machines, pitch & bats, etc.

Some of the redemptions were produced under the name of Funhouse Games - obviously inspired by the pinball...Some of the fun titles were:

Screaming Slopes
    Piece of Pizza
    Wheel of Fortune
    Aaaahhh Real Monsters
    Bozo Buckets
    Bozo Buckets 2
    League Champ (shuffle alley)

Maybe it's a redemption game? Anybody familiar with these games? Seems like they wouldn't require a lot of lights. I'd like to learn more about them and maybe add one to the collection. Real Monsters looks fun!

Here's a promo video:

#36 4 years ago

Interesting. Never seen or heard if any of those games before.

#37 4 years ago

Thank you for the replies!
    There was many useful information.
    I have also the feeling that the board is a prototype one
    in this case may i can use it in a System 3-6 game.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from csab00:

I have also the feeling that the board is a prototype one

It looks like a production-ready board. It was probably for some as-yet undetermined non-pinball game.

Quoted from csab00:

in this case may i can use it in a System 3-6 game.

No, the number of inputs and outputs are all different.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, the number of inputs and outputs are all different.

how so? im sure i have used mine before.. ? I'll take better pics of it tommorow

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

how so? im sure i have used mine before.. ? I'll take better pics of it tommorow

The differing number of inputs and outputs may cause certain things to not function.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The differing number of inputs and outputs may cause certain things to not function.

what differing number of inputs and outputs ?

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

what differing number of inputs and outputs ?

Going by the board layout, differences in the special solenoids, switch matrix, and lamp matrix.

I don't have one of these boards, so I can't check it conclusively.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not to mention it seems to be missing a lot of parts

#44 4 years ago

Plus, since nobody has been able to identify this board, troubleshooting will be very difficult without schematics.

#45 4 years ago

oh ok. yes the one in the pic is shot to bits. i have two complete ones.. im sure I have run it in firepower before and dont recall any issues. I will draw the lamp schematics if you like and take better pics. I dont actually think the external IO was any different.. lets see what i find

2 months later
    #46 4 years ago

Guess we'll won't be figuring this one out anytime soon...

#47 4 years ago

I recently saw a variation on the Bally -35 boardset in a rifle game. It has a strange looking driver board, and for the longest time, I couldn't figure out what game that board went to until a couple weeks ago when someone else recognized it. Maybe Williams tried the same thing around the same time?

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/maraud.htm

[edit]: Nevermind--it looks like Williams didn't make it to the solid state area with their rifle games. There goes that idea.

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/wmsgun.htm

#48 4 years ago

i finally remembered this in daylight when i was here with the board.. photos coming in a moment.. hope they are not too big for here..

#49 4 years ago

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#50 4 years ago

I'd love to toss this on my factory test fixture and see what it does (or doesn't )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 159.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 189.99
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside