(Topic ID: 283584)

Strange Twilight Zone Clock Problem (Runs Continuously)

By gsrogers

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by wstefanc
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1237 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1236 (resized).jpeg
6670F19D-5D07-44E3-93DC-A8BCA04469ED (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

So I turned on my TZ and the clock immediately started spinning in reverse. Game comes up with Clock Error...when I go in the test menu and run the clock it will run slow and fast in reverse but will not go forward in test menu. I tried turning off the clock in menu and it will not turn off.
Please point me in the right direction to figure out what is wrong.
Thanks
Garry

#2 3 years ago

In clock tests - are all the optos working ?

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

The optos are working...I will have to spend some more time with this as I played the game and noticed the Slot Machine opto is not working. I may have a CPU issue. No battery damage ever. Sucks

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from gsrogers:

So I turned on my TZ and the clock immediately started spinning in reverse. Game comes up with Clock Error...when I go in the test menu and run the clock it will run slow and fast in reverse but will not go forward in test menu. I tried turning off the clock in menu and it will not turn off.
Please point me in the right direction to figure out what is wrong.
Thanks
Garry

If it on;y goes in one direction, then either:
1. You lost a driver (or pre-driver) transistor on your power driver board, or,
2. Your Motor control board (mounted under the playfield) is bad and needs to be fixed.

#5 3 years ago

I’ve had this issue before. Check the small right board in the backbox. You have a blown transistor there

#6 3 years ago
6670F19D-5D07-44E3-93DC-A8BCA04469ED (resized).png6670F19D-5D07-44E3-93DC-A8BCA04469ED (resized).png
#7 3 years ago

Thanks guys for pointing me in a direction. I will start the process.
Thanks in advance for any other tips or thoughts.
Garry

2 years later
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If it on;y goes in one direction, then either:
1. You lost a driver (or pre-driver) transistor on your power driver board, or,
2. Your Motor control board (mounted under the playfield) is bad and needs to be fixed.

I have this same problem on my game. The clock immediately goes backwards on startup.
I replaced the underplay field motor control board and didn't fix the issue.
My power driver board recently got checked by Coinop-Cauldron. I suppose a transistor could still have gone bad. Is their an easy check for this before I send in my board (again)?

thanks

#9 1 year ago

If your clock starts moving and keeps moving when power is first applied, it could be a couple of things.

The motor driver chip on the DC Motor Control Assembly A-16120 could be shorted.

The capacitor on this board C3, 100uf, probably 25v could be bad, causing this board to have unreliable power. I mention this because Opto boards with a similar capacitor have had a lot of failures lately due to the 100uf capacitor going bad.

Other components on this board may have failed, like the optoisolators.

Truth be told, the motor driver chip or the opto isolators are unlikely, the capacitor is somewhat likely.

This board is controlled by the 8 driver PCB assembly A-16100 (I think this is in the backbox).

It could be a shorted transistor on this board, Q9 or Q10, or their pre-drivers Q3 or Q4. Possibly.

However, this board is controlled by a ribbon cable! And ribbon cables can be problematic. This ribbon cable stretches from J1 on the 8 driver PCB Assembly A-16100 to the CPU on J104. If this ribbon cable isn't making good connection it could definitely be the problem. Re-seat both sides of this ribbon cable.

Now, if your clock stays inert until the game is booted, and then it starts spinning, I would look to the clock test. Make sure that the optos are all activating in the clock test mode.

Let us know what you find.

Also, while I understand that it may be very challenging to find a local pinball service technician, you might want to get a repair person to your house. There are multiple boards, multiple connections here. Look in your manual on page 3-12, 3-13, and 3-22.

A skilled pinball technician can quickly determine where the problem is, and will likely have the parts to fix it. (If it isn't the motor control chip, that's a rare failure!)

If you need to send boards out, you are going to be unplugging quite a lot of things, and removing a lot of boards. Take pictures of each step!

Good luck!

Added 6 months ago:

10-6-23 I posted here that the opto failure was rare, but this seems to be becoming more common. U1 optoisolator has been the problem on several TZ clocks that I've repaired lately. The symptom is that the clock starts running as soon as the power is applied to the game and doesn't stop.

#10 1 year ago

thanks for the heavy detailed reply. I'll start the process of looking into this.

Ben.

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

Update:
I’ve replaced two boards so far.. the driver board in the back box and under the playfield.
The clock behavior hasn’t changed still moving backwards immediately upon startup.

I reset the ribbon cables also

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Update:
I’ve replaced two boards so far.. the driver board in the back box and under the playfield.
The clock behavior hasn’t changed still moving backwards immediately upon startup.
I reset the ribbon cables also

Then that leaves the wires. With the game turned off, is the driver wire for sol #42 (Blu-White) shorted to ground?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Then that leaves the wires. With the game turned off, is the driver wire for sol #42 (Blu-White) shorted to ground?

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure how to test this. How do I test "shorted to ground"?
thanks

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from TZBen:

How do I test "shorted to ground"?

Grab a meter. One probe on ground. The other probe on blue/white wire.

You tube has lots of short video to use a meter and check things like this.

LTG : )

2 months later
#15 11 months ago

figured I'd finish this post with my solution. I had a tech visit who found the problem was a faulty driver board. a-160120 I believe. lower right under the play field in the back corner.

3 months later
#16 8 months ago

FWIW - this post is excellent. Made it super easy to isolate the fault to the motor control board and then to the specific component on the bench a 4N25, a $0.28 part, by just pulling connectors.

IMG_1236 (resized).jpegIMG_1236 (resized).jpegIMG_1237 (resized).jpegIMG_1237 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-twilight-zone-clock-problem-runs-continuously and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.