Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

strange_stepper_(resized).jpg
backbox_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm helping a friend get his new acquisition running, a Ship Ahoy, and it needs some of the normal cleaning on the steppers, but there's on thing that's throwing me a bit. There's what looks like an aftermarket stepper unit bolted to the bottom of the backbox. It's obviously not vintage Gottlieb hardware, because it just looks different (all black).

I've just started looking into it, and it appears to have its coils wired in parallel with the coils for the AX and JX (I think that was it) relays on the left of the backbox. They apparently used some lamp cord to do this. The connection points on the disk seem to be wired to, via a piggy-back solder connection, the 100,000, 200,000, 300,000, etc lights on the backbox panel. The original wires to these lights are still there.

Unfortunately, I don't have a schematic for this yet, otherwise, I might be able to figure it out on my own.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or might have an idea what the heck it's for?
I've attached a couple of pics for review.
Thanks,
Jeff

backbox_(resized).jpgbackbox_(resized).jpg

strange_stepper_(resized).jpgstrange_stepper_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I've encountered a hack like that once before (also in an AAB game from WI). It looked like what they were trying to do was to create a hybrid of the AAB and Novelty modes, where the game would still award add-a-balls, but also use the novelty mode scoring (which goes beyond 100,000. Normally the adjustment plug sets the game on either AAB or Novelty mode, but not both.

With the extra stepper, AAB mode was supported, but with Novelty scoring. That'd be my guess anyway.

(The one I encountered I removed all that hackery and put it back to factory.)

(Was this the Ship Ahoy paired with the Free Fall?)

#3 8 years ago

Wow!

Another reason I try and now get photos on inside the game.

Good luck getting back to factory

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I've encountered a hack like that once before (also in an AAB game from WI). It looked like what they were trying to do was to create a hybrid of the AAB and Novelty modes, where the game would still award add-a-balls, but also use the novelty mode scoring (which goes beyond 100,000. Normally the adjustment plug sets the game on either AAB or Novelty mode, but not both.
With the extra stepper, AAB mode was supported, but with Novelty scoring. That'd be my guess anyway.
(The one I encountered I removed all that hackery and put it back to factory.)
(Was this the Ship Ahoy paired with the Free Fall?)

My thoughts exactly. It's actually a desireable mod, albeit it could have been done a little cleaner. I've played many games of "SA" where I've lapped the score reels so many times that I lost count! Would be great to do on "Neptune" and "Lucky Hand" as well. That stepper looks like it might have come from a bingo game, but who knows. Does not appear to be Gottlieb or Williams.

#5 8 years ago

Ok, that makes sense.
And yes, this was paired with the free fall.
Once I get it running, I'll try to remember to update y'all. Look at me, from Wisconsin and saying "y'all"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.