(Topic ID: 262854)

Strange Solenoid Driver Board functions

By Grangeomatic

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grangeomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Ok, I’ve got a Paragon that was acting up on me. I seem to have fixed it by replacing the solenoid driver board, but I’m still not clear as to what was going on with the old one. Here’s the situation:

My coin lockout and flipper relay were chattering. I poked around a little bit and decided to reflow the solder on the J4 connectors and repin them as well. While this seemed to fix the chattering, it uncovered a new problem – the drop target bank (not the inline) would no longer reset. (side question – why is the drop target reset considered a ‘continuous’ coil?)

I checked the coil – there was voltage there. I grounded the tab of the drive transistor – it fired. I worked my way back, testing the circuit. It all worked good until I got past the 330ohm resistors between the PIA and the connector on the MPU board. I could ground the resistor on the connector side, and the coil would fire fine. But if I grounded it on the PIA side, the coil did nothing. I even put my scope on the connector side of the resistor, and it didn’t budge when I grounded the other side. This made me scratch my head. I tested this another Bally game of the same era, and it worked as expected.

I even tried the “hack” that @barakandi showed to replace part of the CA3081 with a discreet transistor, but that made no difference.
But then I swapped out the Solenoid Driver Board, and all is good again.

Can anyone help me understand what is wrong with my original SDB? What would cause it to basically “ignore” a low output from the PIA to fire this coil?

#3 4 years ago

Yeah, I thought that too. It measured fine and I swapped it with the unused one next to it.
No luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grangeomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-solenoid-driver-board-functions?tu=Grangeomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.