Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5083.JPG
IMG_5082.JPG
IMG_5081.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I have started cleaning up a Strange Science and have run into some new territory. I was tightening up the flipper bats and adjusting EOS on the lower flipper and the upper flipper went out completely. I realize that I know very little about Bally 6803 and how the fuses and flippers are connected. Did I break a wire or blow a fuse?

I was digging on the machine for a couple of hours and I couldn't find a thing. Am I missing something dumb or do I just need to find the cold solder joint or broken wire? The bottom flipper has two EOS switches when all the rest have one, does the seccond have to do with the upper flipper?

#2 12 years ago

If I remember right the second eos only has to do with high score initials. However, the upper flipper IS daisychained to the lower flipper to get it's power. Easy test, set your meter to DC volts and check for voltage at the flipper coil.

#3 12 years ago

Cool, so of the bottom two are working then it is a broken connection to the third. Thanks Cliffy.

#4 12 years ago

Get the manual here:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2396/Bally_1986_Strange_Science_English_Operating_Manual.pdf

Go to page 53. There is a switch between the right flipper and upper right flipper. The switch is open. When the lower flipper is energized the interconnect switch should close and energize the upper right flipper.
The switch may be a dual EOS switch on the lower right flipper. Not sure, a pic would help.

So I'd check the lower right flipper coil and see if the EOS switch has dual contacts. One would be open and the other closed.

#5 12 years ago

I will look for the switch, I think I am missing one of the manuals.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

The bottom flipper has two EOS switches when all the rest have one, does the seccond have to do with the upper flipper?

Missed this when I first read the thread.
Yes 2 EOS switches is correct and yes one is NO at rest and connects to the upper Right flipper coil.

Check for continuity from the terminal of the 2nd EOS switch to the upper right coil and the other terminal to the lower right coil.
Then manually activate the lower right flipper and see if the 2nd EOS switch provides continuity from the lower right coil to the upper right coil.

#7 12 years ago

I was mistaken about the eos. Just flipped the PF and looked at mine. The second eos is teh daisy chain to the upper flipper. One os normally closed and the other normally open. The outer eos is normally open and should close when the lower flipper is all the way up. This allows current to get to the upper flipper. I believe Bally did this to avoid having the upper flipper on full power when a ball wasn't even up there so it got full power only after the lower flipper completed its stroke. Make sure that outer eos closes nice and tight when the lower flipper hits the end of stroke.

#9 12 years ago

Awesome, so I need to re solder the wires on the second EOS switch. I was pretty rough on the when I was tightening the flipper bats.

#10 12 years ago

Turns out it was a bad flipper coil.

IMG_5080.JPGIMG_5080.JPG IMG_5081.JPGIMG_5081.JPG IMG_5082.JPGIMG_5082.JPG IMG_5083.JPGIMG_5083.JPG

#11 12 years ago

I would have a hard time playing that game with Cliffy staring at me the whole time

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from Wickedquickss:

I would have a hard time playing that game with Cliffy staring at me the whole time

My first thought as well

#13 12 years ago

If you have never played a Strange Science, you don't realize how obnoxious old school Bally games are. I hardly even notice he is there. Between the strobing neon and the sound effects he is easy to miss.

#14 12 years ago

Bwahahaha!!!

Now get those damned brass sleeves OUTTA there!

#15 12 years ago

i absolutely love this game. i had a line on one a year or so ago in near perfect condition for 800 but the seller flaked on me. i wish i could find another one near me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-science-upper-flipper-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.