IMG_0467 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2021-06-12 1.46.02 AM (resized).png
9e68e4c9a95d590baca6adba890c42f9cd63e82d (resized).png
Screenshot 2021-06-12 12.31.30 AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2021-06-12 12.32.52 AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2021-06-12 12.32.09 AM (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to decide what to do about a Strange Science which has a ball stop raise mechanism (Atom Smasher Close) that keeps sticking.

On this pin there's a raise/lower solenoid pair. One lowers the ball stop, which engages a latch. The other pulls the latch in, which releases the ball stop (on a spring). See picture.

This mostly works ok, but at this point about 50% of the time the latch doesn't pull. It's always been a little flaky since I got the thing years ago, but after sitting mostly idle for a couple of years it seems worse than ever. Previously I'd cleaned and reseated and that seemed enough to get it to engage...95% of the time. But at this point:

- The coil is definitely engaging even when the latch doesn't pull (and there's motion in the mech - it's getting pulled, just not enough.
- I don't believe I'm getting low voltage
- It doesn't seem to be particularly catching or jamming on anything; and once the latch pulls enough the ball stop ALWAYS raises
- Nothing seems warped or broken at all. MAYBE the slug (or whatever it is) that sticks out from the coil is very slightly flattened at the main impact point, but it's 1 or 2/10ths of a mm or so at the very most
- I've done a basic clean on it, but nothing too aggressive yet.

Any suggestions? Seems like it just needs either a little more OOMPH, or a little less friction (it's metal sliding against metal but I *think* this is normal).

Lowered/locked:
Lowered/lockedLowered/locked

Solenoid "engaged":
Solenoid engagedSolenoid engaged

Raised/released:
Raised/releasedRaised/released

#2 2 years ago

Red arrow - cracked at that spot ?

Yellow arrow - bent up at that spot ?

Blue arrow - bend nose on top of relay to lower that metal plate closer to the coil to pull in better.

LTG : )

9e68e4c9a95d590baca6adba890c42f9cd63e82d (resized).png9e68e4c9a95d590baca6adba890c42f9cd63e82d (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply here LTG

On Yellow+Red - no, not cracked or bent. It's just cut at a 45 degree angle at that point. Better picture below.

On Blue.... I guess I could try that worst case (actually not 100% sure where you mean to bend, but I suppose a few places there MIGHT), hoping there's a better solution than maiming the thing, though.

Screenshot 2021-06-12 1.46.02 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-06-12 1.46.02 AM (resized).png

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Ripcord:

(actually not 100% sure where you mean to bend,

Not your game, but similar enough to explain.

See the nose circled in red ? Bend the end of it towards the coil lowers the metal plate so it is closer to the coil and pulls in easier. Bend it away from the coil so the metal plate is farther away and then it's harder to pull in.

Be sure your parts where it locks and releases are clean and not gummy and mucking things up.

LTG : )

IMG_0467 (resized).JPGIMG_0467 (resized).JPG
3 months later
#5 2 years ago

I have a similiar issue.... works about 50% of the time as well. I can hear the small solenoid coming in but the I hear the other just buzzing. I raise the deck and run diagnostics on it and it works fine. Prior to this the cap on the board was blown and the the transistor was shorted and the 330ohm resister was fried. All have been replaced but it still isn't working all the time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-science-raise-post-sticking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.