By Yakrobat

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200513_224750 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yakrobat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I've just completed a restoration of my Strange Science and it now is anomalously triggering switches. When starting a game, it will often add additional players even though the credit button was only pressed once. In addition, the three upper "Particle Separator" rollovers will trigger in reverse sequence twice each time a new ball is placed in battery. I've captured the entire sequence in the attached video, any help is truly appreciated.

Strange Science Manual: www.ipdb.org/files/2396/Bally_1986_Strange_Science_English_Operating_Manual.pdf

20200513_224750 (resized).jpg20200513_224750 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

Hi Ryan,

I figured it was a matrix issue as well, however I am able to successfully test all switches without any anomalies.

I decided to test the input keypad and noticed that, when pressed, certain buttons on the keypad are registered as playfield switches. Is this normal? I unplugged the keypad and still observed the same anomalous behavior noted in my initial post above.

When I unplug J4 (playfield switches plug) and begin a game, no anomalous behavior is seen. Interestingly, I can still use the keypad to trigger various playfield switches in this mode of operation.

I'm still baffled by how the pattern is always the same (credit button, rollover B, rollover A, rollover L, rollover B, rollover A, rollover L) as I would imagine that a matrix issue would be spuriously random.

Also, I'm loving my fire LEDs I got last week!

Pete

#4 3 years ago

So I realized I had not checked the trough switches and, wouldn't you know it, they appear to be the culprit. You can start a game with multiple balls (Atoms) already loaded into the Atom Smasher (multiball mechanism). When I begin a game with 4 already loaded so that no balls are in the trough, the anomalous behavior is gone. In switch test mode, triggering the individual trough switches shows normal behavior.

Looking at the attached matrix photo, it appears that the issue is with the "Strobe 4" column, though I am also getting anomalous credit button closures as well... Where to go from here?

Pete

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yakrobat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-science-2?tu=Yakrobat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.