• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 5 years ago

Thought I would share this story of a Meteor repair. I have a Meteor that was not booting. The LED would come on but not flash. So I broke out the multimeter and started checking test points. I started with the MPU and found my 12V TPs were only getting 10V. So I moved to the rectifier board and started checking TPs on it. I was getting 10V there also. So I checked TPs E11 and E12. I checked the first one and got 10V. I went to check the second one and sparks flew. As soon as that happened the pin booted up! I checked the TPs at the MPU again and it was at 12V. I was afraid to check it at the rectifier board again. I know I didn't accidentally touch 2 things at once when the sparks flew as I'm always very careful about that. So I don't know what caused the sparks to fly and why that caused the 10V to jump to 12V. But it's been working fine for 3 days now. An easy fix I suspect I'll have problems again in the future but for now I'm happy.

#2 5 years ago

You shouldn't be checking E11+12 separately, they're AC. You measure across them.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You shouldn't be checking E11+12 separately, they're AC. You measure across them.

I guess that explains the sparks . I still wonder what caused the voltage to jump back up.

#4 5 years ago

A stern of that vintage should have all new connectors, male and female every board. Power supply should be rebuilt and upgraded. Connectors are the weak link in the Bally technology that Stern used.

Don C.

#5 5 years ago

Could also be a bad fuse holder

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-meteor-repair-story and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.