Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190222_114315 (resized).jpg
registers (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I recently noticed that my knocker doesn't seem to knock any more. My machine would knock when I completed the saucer after hitting all of the other targets (sinking the Eight Ball), and also when I hit the replay score.

When I do the solenoid test, it knocks every time in proper sequence with the other solenoids. I can't find a corrupt register value to explain why it doesn't work. Not a huge deal, but the knocker is a little bit like a party popper on New Year's Day and not having it takes a little bit of fun out of the game.

#2 5 years ago

Thats a lot of Knocks!, Check your game settings. Maybe it got changed from awarding a replay special to novelty mode-no replays.

Quoted from newbieinKC:

I recently noticed that my knocker doesn't seem to knock any more. My machine would knock when I completed the saucer after hitting all of the other targets (sinking the Eight Ball), and also when I hit the replay score.
When I do the solenoid test, it knocks every time in proper sequence with the other solenoids. I can't find a corrupt register value to explain why it doesn't work. Not a huge deal, but the knocker is a little bit like a party popper on New Year's Day and not having it takes a little bit of fun out of the game.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Thats a lot of Knocks!, Check your game settings. Maybe it got changed from awarding a replay special to novelty mode-no replays.

One register in particular is giving me fits. #32 is "# of Specials Awarded From Thresh #1" It is set to 45 and when I try to set it to 1 it gives me a nasty buzz and takes me out of that register.

I would take out my RAM chip to make the game go back to defaults, but I have the NVRAM from Pinitiech installed and I know of no way to "reboot" the registers with that chip.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

One register in particular is giving me fits. #32 is "# of Specials Awarded From Thresh #1" It is set to 45 and when I try to set it to 1 it gives me a nasty buzz and takes me out of that register.
I would take out my RAM chip to make the game go back to defaults, but I have the NVRAM from Pinitiech installed and I know of no way to "reboot" the registers with that chip.

Doesn't look like you're supposed to be able to change those, except resetting by setting them to "0"..

From the manual:
registers (resized).jpgregisters (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

As for the knocker..

Looks like there's various registers that could possibly explain some things. Page 1-14 of the manual shows Replays, X-Ball, Novelty settings for various registers including "Playfield Specials". There's also mention of Register 44 "Special at 120k/240k" and a description on page 1-11 which kind of sounds like the saucer thing you're describing (at least to me).

A quick skim through the manual, I'm not seeing specific mention of what settings/awards would set the knocker off. But a few additional things that I'd think would set off a knocker are "High Score Feature Adjustments" (Register 12, 13, 14) that award an extra ball (option) or free game. There's Register 26 awarding credits. High Score To Date, Register 15 to award a free game. You may have to play around with some of these.

#6 5 years ago

Got it! I wasn't thinking those registers were counters. I think I found the issue; I just haven't taken the time to win a free game yet to check. I didn't intentionally change any pertinent registers, but I very well could have made a mistake.

#7 5 years ago

Just posted before me. Those registers are what I started playing around with to hopefully fix it. A couple of them have ranges from 0-3 with no apparent mention of what those numbers mean in the manual. I will assume that there is some convention and "3" = extra game (and hopefully a knock).

I don't even have number of credits on display since I am in freeplay mode. I kinda wonder if the max credits allowed value gets in the way when I hit 40 (highest number available). I might turn that on the "display credits" for a bit to see if that matters or not. During my last audit of registers, the number of credits was currently 39. It probably doesn't explain my problem because I should at least get one knock per game when I hit the extra game threshold or complete the saucer after hitting the 7 targets.

#8 5 years ago

You were right. I must have accidentally changed stuff to "0" accidentally. I put in a bunch of "3's" and we are back to party popper city!

1 week later
#9 5 years ago

I know that most people will file this is the "stuff nobody cares about but you" category.

I figured out that once my EBC hits 40 credits (max allowed per registers), the knocker no longer activates. OK, no free game = no sound. Problem I have with it is that when in Free Play mode, new games do not eat up credits. Therefore, once I accumulate 40 specials the knocker stops popping forever unless I manually reset the number of credits. The knocking sound brings me joy.

So, I turned off the free play and instead use a business card to allow the coin return buttons to coin up the game. I thought it was a genius (non-destructive and easily reversible) solution. I attached a photo of my creation. There is no tape or adhesive used in the mod; just a business card cut and folded so that it wedges into the coin return button mechanism and the slot that contains the coin up switch.

Honestly, if I had a coin box, I would install it and keep several rolls of quarters handy instead.

20190222_114315 (resized).jpg20190222_114315 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-knocker-problem?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.