Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Invader
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey, normally I would have addressed this sooner, but I've been bombarded with little tech issues with most of my pins. Recently I would noticed on occasion my TZ (on, but not being played) would sound like it would go through a diagnostic and fire a few coils, the display would go blank during this time. It happened quite infrequently. Just now I was next to it and heard a steady coil firing. It was my coil that auto fires balls into play immediately after the trough (not the shooter lane). The display was blank. I turned off the machine restarted. No coils firing, but no display either.

I haven't looked at anything right now, but just curious if this sounds like something in particular. My games normally run well, but with two games in pieces, I didn't want to start a third project. I do now that BSD is back in one piece.

#2 8 years ago

If it makes a difference I do have a ColorDMD in it.

#3 8 years ago

No visuals on ColorDMD and coils autofiring could both be related to a problem with 12Vunreg.
ColorDMD and opto-LEDs are getting its power from it via J116-117-118.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the response. I happened to be moving my games around and plugged it back in (Same outlet). Tried to start it and it started just fine with no errors. Played 1 game, everything 100%. After my game, pin was sitting about 3 minutes. Heard a few coils start to fire again, sounded like a few different ones (not just the one noted in my first post) and it sounded somewhat muted. Maybe coils not firing 100% during this episode. The display was perfect and never went off during the coils acting up. This only lasted about 5 seconds and I promptly shut the machine down.

12 V unreg would that be problems at my outlet or something like a bridge rectifier? I haven't notice power issue or strange issue with other games plugged into that outlet. HSII and BSD. Usually I am the only one playing, so it's not like a bunch of pins are pulling power from the same outlet.

#5 8 years ago

Measure TP1 with a digital multimeter. If it's dropping below 12V, you may need to replace the bridge and capacitor for the unregulated 12V supply on the power driver board.

The fact that it's failing after being plugged in for a while suggests that something may be heating up and modifying the circuit behavior. It could be a cracked/cold solder joint on these components. If so, reflowing the solder connections could help.

#6 8 years ago

I had sort of similar problem, solenoids fireing suddenly, couldn't find the cause.
Untill one day the DMD showed the error message: "Ground short row 11" or something like, can't remember exactly.
I raised the playfield and checked all solder points/pulled gently the wires and one wire to the left bumber was loose just above the lug (so you couldn't see it was loose).
Guess that wire was causing a short every now and then.
I resoldered it and it fixed the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1,059.00
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 79.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-issue-with-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.