(Topic ID: 88176)

Strange hung flipper issue (Laser War - DE)

By Stemage

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Stemage
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

Tried to search ahead of time and didn't see a flipper thread that resembled this issue.

I did a complete flipper rebuild on my Laser War with new coils. For a month, it has been running beautifully.

All of a sudden, the right flipper started getting sluggish. On pressing the button, the flipper would struggle to move upward and would SNAP after a few seconds to full position. After a few more presses, back to normal. It did this on and off, but now it's struggling and can't complete movement at all. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qvcvamoc49nxcf/2014-04-20%2000.03.00.mp4 At first glance, it would appear to be something re: friction based on its behavior, but that's not it. The bat moves freely into the coil - nice and smooth.

We're going to check out boards, because that's not something we've done yet since I got my machine, but I thought I'd post to see if you guys knew off hand what this might be or what to look for. It doesn't appear to be mechanical, but it could be I guess - wondering if it's more electrical.

Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

I would start with something simple like checking the linkage for binding. After that I'd move to electrical connections - EOS switch, loose wires, caps, diodes, broken coil winding wires at the lugs.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks Wolf!

#4 10 years ago

Also with this type of flipper hang up it is a great idea to turn off the machine when it hangs.
If the flipper falls on its own accord it is likely electrical.
If the flipper stays in the up position or where it started sticking then it is likely mechanical.

I would check linkage and assembly for binding as Wolf mentioned. Also if the height of the flipper through the bushing is wrong or slips it can (drag) which will seem like a physical bind. Same is true for linkage it needs to line up just right or you will have extra tension when you do not need any.

#5 10 years ago

The "high power winding" of the coil sounds like it's open or barely making a connection. Get a very close look at where the very small coil wires are soldered to the lugs. Tug on each slightly to confirm a solid grip. Also, check the two windings with the ohm setting on a voltmeter.

Modern flipper coils have a "low" 6V winding, and a "high" 40-60V winding. Hence, the soldering "3 lugs".

#6 10 years ago

You have two switches on each flipper assembly one is the EOS and the other is Coil High power you need to adjust the coil switch, the contacts sounds like they are getting flaky.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks all.

#8 10 years ago

What about the cabinet switches? Are they leaf switches or micro switches?

#9 10 years ago

I know this sounds stupidly simple but I had a similar thing with my JP. It was driving me mad because when I lift the PF to observe it everything was totally fine.

Turns out I had put the shooter lane coil back in rotated 90º from normal and so the wires were interfering with the flipper leaf switch.

So check for something physically affecting the way of the flipper mech or switch/button. Sounds like your issue is odd enough to be a physical problem and not electrical.

#10 10 years ago

The cabinet switches are leaf switches, and they are fine. The problem corrected itself and seem intermittent. We're getting ready to take care of all we can find electrical, and it really does seem mechanical at this point. Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the insight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-hung-flipper-issue-laser-war-de and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.