(Topic ID: 292954)

Strange gottlieb game over relay alteration

By Geofflove

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BBF34362-791D-4E37-AD4B-22946ECC1D69 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

On my jet spin I have found that someone has connected an extra relay coil in series with the game over relay coil. It’s literally just a relay coil (no mech). My only thought on its purpose was maybe to reduce the voltage across the game over relay to make it run cooler or quieter or both. Anyone come across this before? I can obviously remove it but would like to understand why it was there in the first place. Someone must have done it for a reason......

Any thoughts?

BBF34362-791D-4E37-AD4B-22946ECC1D69 (resized).jpegBBF34362-791D-4E37-AD4B-22946ECC1D69 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Makes zero sense to me.

#3 2 years ago

It looks like a hack job replacement for the original coil.

#4 2 years ago

Since it's in series, just jump it with clips first and see if anything pops up like the game over relay gets buzzy or whatever they were trying to 'fix'.

#5 2 years ago

On this game, I'm pretty sure that the game over relay is continuous duty, so the coil is energized the entire time the game is sitting in game over. If that is the case, I suspect that this additional coil was added to serve as a current-limiting resistor for the game over relay coil, so that coil would not run so hot.

It's an interesting idea, but the execution seems less than professional. As Spinal Tap would say, there's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

- TimMe

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from TimMe:

On this game, I'm pretty sure that the game over relay is continuous duty, so the coil is energized the entire time the game is sitting in game over. If that is the case, I suspect that this additional coil was added to serve as a current-limiting resistor for the game over relay coil, so that coil would not run so hot.
    It's an interesting idea, but the execution seems less than professional. As Spinal Tap would say, there's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - TimMe

I’m not sure it is. I think it’s energised during game play. However, I’m guessing this is the reason it was done, to reduce noise/heat during gameplay. As you say though the execution wasn’t great. Once the rest of the game is sorted I’ll jump it and play a few games and see how it goes before removal.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Geofflove:

I’m not sure it is. I think it’s energised during game play.

I just checked my schematic for Jet Spin, and confirmed that the game over relay is indeed constantly energized when the game is over. This is consistent with all other multi-player GTB EMs of this era.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but that's how they did it.

- TimMe

#8 2 years ago

I'd check the original coil in the relay just to make sure it is the correct coil and measures the right ohms (has not partially shorted and become more powerful than original and started causing too much buzzing) as well. A longshot, but might as well check since somebody did go to the trouble to hack it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-gottlieb-game-over-relay-alteration?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.