• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SS_Switch_Matrix.jpg
69BDEB41-9CC5-425E-973B-99FBD595F2FE (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I’m running an Echo Lake MPU-2 (with a #Sharp Shooter2 ROM) in my Sharpshooter and getting some very strange behavior that seems linked with the MPU.
The game will run fine then suddenly pop bumper 2 will stop firing and bumper 4 will activate 1. Drop targets will fire the lockout hole and nothing will reset the targets. After a series of power cycles and going through the solenoid routine it sometimes returns to full function. Right now everything is working except the drain kickout.
All switches are working correctly according to the test routine.
Should I send the board back to EchoLake to get reflashed?

#2 5 years ago

Does the machine have the original SDU?
I would first suspect it over the new MPU.
Have you moved the machine lately, did you install the Echo Lake MPU?

#3 5 years ago

Original everything except the Echo Lake MPU. Moved it a few months ago when I bought it. Could the SDU lead to this behavior? It’s sounds are also off which could explain more

#4 5 years ago

Could be a bad connector between the MPU and SDU or a bad diode on one or more of the playfield switches.

3 months later
#5 5 years ago

Update everyone: I found that two wires off one of the connectors on the power board were periodically shorting causing the behavior. After fixing that I had a few months of great gameplay.. Then everything went bad and I got 1 blink on the MPU.
After replacing the 24V fuse, 24V bridge rectifier everything sprang back to life.

Now I'm running into a new problem. 3 switches aren't working. The "S", "R", and pop bumper 1 switches aren't working. I've confirmed the switches are good but can't seem to locate how they're connecting into the MPU.
Any advice out there?

69BDEB41-9CC5-425E-973B-99FBD595F2FE (resized).jpeg69BDEB41-9CC5-425E-973B-99FBD595F2FE (resized).jpeg
#6 5 years ago

Checking the switch matrix chart, it looks like those 3 are all on the same row--row 4. Are you sure all 5 of the loop buttons are working? One of them, referred to as Loop 4 on the chart, may also not be working. Also, check that wiring and diode are firmly connected on coin chute 3.

Whatever the case, each of the 5 switches listed on the chart for "Line 4" will have a violet wire with a black stripe. That violet-black wire daisy-chains from coin chute 3 switch to the P lane switch, upper left pop bumper switch, loop 4 button switch (on the u-turn), and the S lane switch, and ultimately from the one of those switches on the playfield up to the MPU at connector J5, pin 14 and/or J6 at pin 8. So you should have continuity on that wire (violet/black) between all those switches and the violet-black wire at connector J5 and/or J6 at the mpu. All it takes is a broken wire or diode on one of those switches to take out the whole row.

Also, have you re-pinned the connectors between the playfield and backbox? These games are notorious for bad connectors in that region.

SS_Switch_Matrix.jpgSS_Switch_Matrix.jpg

2 months later
#7 5 years ago

My Old Coney Island had a row of switches out. It ended up not being anything on the play field, but a diode on the MPU. There is a diode associated with each row of switches and one of the dip switches on the mpu. One of them was bad. Replaced the diode on the mpu and the switch row was back to working again.

If anyone has some advice on a Sharp Shooter II issue with the Echo Lake mpu please let me know. I just installed the board the other day and if the displays are plugged in, it causes the mpu and sound board to not boot all the way. Unplug all the displays and the game/sound board both boot fully and the game is completely working. Strange! It seems like each display plugged in causes different behaviors with the game that render it not booting fully to unplayable.

1 year later
#8 4 years ago

@frunch,
Way late in this reply but wanted to get it out there.
Thank you!
That diagram really helped. Wound up being a loose solder joint with that violet-black wire. Resoldering did the trick and it's been in great shape since your reply.

#9 4 years ago

That's great news! Thanks for following up, no matter how late!

Enjoy, Sharpshooter is a great game! One of my favorite games to play competitively, it can be so brutal sometimes!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-gameplan-behavior-?hl=mountbrew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.