By alchy999

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Getaway.

Left Flipper the plunger sticks in the coil and makes a whistling sound. Flipper mainly works fine at full power but sometimes gets stuck at the top of the flip where the hold is.

I have taken apart the flipper assembly and have checked everything. Put new coil stops in and coil sleeves. I test and its ok then after a few games plunger is catching again.

Ok so now I take the whole assembly out. Replace everything except the bracket from a right flipper new spare also I did not replace the eos switch. The flipper has new plunger link and even a new flipper in case the shaft was bent. Got it so it didnt catch.

5 or 6 games later the whistling squeaky sound comes back and indeed the plunger is getting caught again hence the squeaky sound.

I have replaced with a new coil. Only thing I can think of is that the bracket assembly has moved to missalign the flipper hole through the bushing maybe from the wood warping or shifting slightly?

Any ideas? got me stumped.

Regards David

#2 11 years ago

I have come across flipper links where the plastic link arm that is attached to the plunger is too thick and makes the flipper hang up. Took it apart and sanded the plastic flipper link down and then it worked fine. (just have to drive the link pin out to do so) Do you believe the problem to be electrical or mechanical?

www.Team-EM.com

#3 11 years ago

Are your springs in the right place? compare to the springs on your other flippers

#4 11 years ago

I would rebuild the whole flipper mech replacing also the bushing and flipper bat. Then gap the flipper properly using the white flipper gap tool. Refer to vid1900's guide for help.

#5 11 years ago

Hi markmon done all that earlier still same

#6 11 years ago

Will check spring again I am sure it is. Something must be twisted...

#7 11 years ago

Wow, that is a stumper. Is the sleeve the right one, specifically, is it long enough to extend through the bracket on the opposite end of the coil from the coil stop?

#8 11 years ago

Hi yes its the correct sleeve and its been changed twice... Only thing I can think of I have not changed is the bracket. I changed all 3 end stops (top middle and bottom) as 1 was slightly bent. I am thinking that the flipper shaft maybe coming through the playfield at an angle due to something warping or stretching. I have looked down and it looks straight. Very strange problem. Its only when I do the 2 end stop screws to secure the coil tight the plunger starts to bind on the inside of the sleeve.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

I have come across flipper links where the plastic link arm that is attached to the plunger is too thick and makes the flipper hang up. Took it apart and sanded the plastic flipper link down and then it worked fine. (just have to drive the link pin out to do so) Do you believe the problem to be electrical or mechanical?
http://www.Team-EM.com

Its a 100% mechanical one! When the left flipper sticks in the up position it does come down with the vibration of flipping the right flipper eventually. But when its up even switching the machine off so the coils are no longer pulling current it stays up.

#10 11 years ago

Do you have enough up/down play in the flipper shaft/pawl assembly? If you have the flipper pawl too high up on the bottom of the flipper shaft(too close to the bushing) that can cause the flipper to stick/bind also. Check that out...easy enough and hope it solves the problem.

#11 11 years ago

Hi thanks for your suggestion. I used a proper flipper gauge. Yes I actually got one from a goody bag someone was selling on ebay

I will strip the flipper down another time today and meticulously go through everything with a microscope there has to be something I am overlooking. I will also take everyones suggestions and go through them one by one before ruling them out.

I think flipper link may be the issue here looks too big.

Regards David

#12 11 years ago

Make sure your nylon sleeve is in the right direction. Also I have seen flippers physically bind for a number of reasons. Wrong spring around the outside of the shaft. Metal shaft catches on the spring when compressed close to the solenoid. I have also seen what Cash is talking about where it is not the top side spacing that is wrong it is on the bottom were the flipper shaft connects is too high or low.

The three above are the biggest culprits I have ever found. Especially after a current rebuild.

Best of luck

#13 11 years ago

Update

Looks like the coil sleeves I ordered are correct but 1mm too long hard to spot but stops the coil from being tight. I am progressing nicely. Also only 1 screw in 1 eos switch and was lopsided. Flipper metal tab that touches the EOS leaf switches was scraping to the side of the leaf switches instead of into them. Hence the squeaky mouse sounds. I have a problem with the flipper hold on one flipper nearly sorted report back later...

I was lucky I didn't create a fireworks display and short anything...

#14 11 years ago

Update and conclusion.

Please check your coil sleeves before installing. Every coil sleeve I have off a different manufacturer is slightly a different length. 1.5 mm tolerance between 5 types. anything over .5mm longer causes problems.

Flipper hold issue I quickly sorted out due to the lopsided leaf switch as stated above.

Thanks for the pointers guys it was not easy to see what was wrong you don't expect parts to be defective when you have a whole bagful

#15 11 years ago

Glad you got it fixed...now enjoy it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-flipper-problem-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.