Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by misterschu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

As the title states, I've got a strange issue with the lower right flipper (on my WPT) and I'd love some guidance before having to do a full rebuild.

The flipper sticks. It seems electrical. The strange part is that the stickiness is variable, and correlates with the amount of time the flipper button was held. For instance, let's say I've just got a drop catch or live catch on the flipper, followed by a brief cradle: when I release the button there will be a pretty brief delay before the flipper drops. But, if I'm in multi-ball, or talking, and have held the button to cradle the ball for a few seconds, the flipper won't drop for a second or two. There's little to no stick when the button is pressed and released quickly.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Possibly magnetized plunger? The next time it sticks, turn off the machine. If it's still sticks, then it's mechanical. If it drops, then it's electrical.

Would be worth plunging it manually to see if you can get it to stick. This will also tell you if it's mechanical.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Possibly magnetized plunger? The next time it sticks, turn off the machine. If it's still sticks, then it's mechanical. If it drops, then it's electrical.
Would be worth plunging it manually to see if you can get it to stick. This will also tell you if it's mechanical.

I have played with the flipper parts (above and below playfield) by hand when the machine is off, which is why I do not think it is mechanical.

I was gonna say the first test you mention is hard to do since the stick is relatively brief, but since it's a reliable issue, I should be able to hold the flipper button for like 10 seconds then while still holding turn the machine off and see if it falls. Hadn't considered that before.

#4 6 years ago

Have you started with the basics first?

- How old are the sleeves?
- Any mushrooming of the coil stops?
- Are the stop lose? This is a very common issue on Stern games and will cause slicking issues
- Is the return spring properly tensioned?
- Hows the flipper to Playfield bushings?
- Hows the gab between the flipper bat and the bushing that goes through the PF?
- Any slack in the plunger mech (there are two bushings their that wear out)?

Looking at and resolving the above will resolve 90%+ of sticking flippers that occur. I don't think that I've ever encountered a magnetized situation on a Stern flipper. If it's slightly magnetized the return spring should still overcome that.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

+1,Try doing this

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Have you started with the basics first?

Thanks for all the questions. I hadn't been confident enough to work on the coil assembly but your specific questions helped point me what to look out.

My first assessment was that there was plumb too much grease. Upon further disassembly, the plunger link has significant wear, the hole is very ovoid, and the coil stop has a little mushrooming, both look like they could use replacing.

At this point all I could do was wipe off excess grease and reassemble.

The strange sticking issue has disappeared, it no longer sticks longer from being held longer. Perhaps there was some suction action by grease in the small mushrooming of the coil stop, and the vibration from the flipper power pulse made it stronger the longer the flipper was held. (A theory anyways)

I will go ahead and order parts for a rebuild for both flippers regardless

#8 6 years ago

There should be no grease anywhere in most, if not all, mechanisms. A flipper rebuild kit is much needed. If ovoid in shape, i would check the bore of the flipper coil as that means the coil overheated and warped. A new sleeve will not fit into a misshapen coil bore.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

There should be no grease anywhere

Well then, I'll have to go back in and take even more off... I did consider the grease given all the electronics... but wrote it off as non-conductive grease.

Quoted from FatPanda:

check the bore of the flipper coil

What's this? The ovoid shape is the (formerly) circle hole in the plastic plunger link. The bore of the coil (if I take you correctly, meaning the area between the windings through which the plunger travels) was still circular, as the coil sleeve was easily removable and could turn freely.

...My first pin (purchased about 2 months ago), and the seller told me he had just rebuilt the right flipper.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

...if I take you correctly, meaning the area between the windings through which the plunger travels) was still circular, as the coil sleeve was easily removable and could turn freely.

Correct. If the sleeve slips in fine it's fine. Sometimes you have to drill them out to get the sleeve easily in.

Quoted from misterschu:

... I did consider the grease given all the electronics... but wrote it off as non-conductive grease.

No grease in modern era pins almost anywhere....but for sure never flippers. Anyway, just sit back and wait for new flipper rebiuld kits. Oh hey...did anyone tell you to order new bushings as well? They usually aren't in the kits I don't think

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

Well then, I'll have to go back in and take even more off... I did consider the grease given all the electronics... but wrote it off as non-conductive grease.

...My first pin (purchased about 2 months ago), and the seller told me he had just rebuilt the right flipper.

Take ALL the grease off, and make sure it's off. Use a degreaser if needed.

Rebuilt the right flipper, I think he should've said I pumped it full of grease to keep it working.

#12 6 years ago

Ouch, sounds like a temp fix just to sell the machine. Sorry that happened to you.

Glad you found your culprit. I know it can sting but I would strongly suggest doing all 4 flippers at the same time. That way you know your game is solid and will play great for a long time coming. But at min do both the bottoms. Doing a flipper rebuild on just one could cause the flippers to perform different if the other flipper is not working 100% as well. Due to the preceived neglect from the previous owner (putting grease in there) those full rebuild kits will be the best bet now. Order a couple extra coil stops and sleeves though as those two items seem to be the ones that wear out the quickest and are fairly cheap.

Those kits don't come with two important pieces that should also be changed.

Flipper bushing - https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=271
Spring Washer - https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=279

I know the first rebuild can be a bit intimidating but it's not to hard if you take your time. The only real important thing that wont be obvious when doing this is setting the flipper gap between the flipper bat and the bushing that goes through the PF. A lot of first timers set that clearance to tight (push the bat all the way down). You should have about a credit card thickness between the bat and the bushing. There is a tool for that (http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-03-8194) but you can easily make one with an old credit card or piece of plastic the same thickness.

If you get stuck and need help/tips post them up and we'll do the best we can to assist.

#13 6 years ago

85vett can you point me to where the spring washer goes? Are these for each of the screws on the coil stop? Or something else?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

can you point me to where the spring washer goes?

Between coil stop and coil.

In this order. Coil Stop - Washer - Coil.

Helps keep coil tighter in the bracket.

LTG : )

#16 6 years ago

Also, seems like you're not suggesting the solenoid needs to be replaced?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from misterschu:

Also, seems like you're not suggesting the solenoid needs to be replaced?

Correct, not at this time anyways. If they are flipping OK and just sticking then I'm betting coils are fine.

1 week later
#18 6 years ago

Thanks for the help all. Finished the rebuild the other day and flippers are working great without issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Trade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-flipper-issue?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.