Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PDB_D26_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello all,

I have a strange problem on my WPC Dr Who machine, what's happening is when any solenoid or other flasher activates during game play the Second Chance flasher briefly flashes with them, not sure where to start with fault finding this one.

This problem became really obvious after I upgraded to LED's.

Thanks for the help.

Regards.

#3 8 years ago

Can you post a picture of lower side of powerdriverboard, from J122 to J132 ? With some luck wrong plugged

#4 8 years ago

Something similar happened on my friends whirlwind and it was a form of flasher ghosting are you using led flasher bulbs? try putting incandescent flashers back in and see if it stops

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Something similar happened on my friends whirlwind and it was a form of flasher ghosting

This is a known problem on System 11 games due to the flasher circuit sharing the same circuit as the coils, with the workaround being to add diodes to certain coils.

On WPC games, the flasher circuit runs independently from the coil drivers, which is why this is a mysterious problem.

#6 8 years ago

ALL flashers are strange ( Sorry )

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

On WPC games, the flasher circuit runs independently from the coil drivers, which is why this is a mysterious problem.

The Flashers in this case are located between coil drivers. Idea to lift one leg from tiebackdiode D26 on powerdriverboard ? (with a remark that if this board is used in antoher machine, the Diode has to be soldered back in place.)
PDB_D26_(resized).jpgPDB_D26_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Problem doesn't exist with incandescent lamps fitted but the LED's are so cool lol.

It definitely seems like a ghosting problem as there is ghosting happening on inserts, just need to get around to flashing the LED MOD ROM to fix that and maybe it will fix that also.

All plugs are in the correct spots on the PDB and was the first thing I checked.

Will flash the MOD ROM this weekend and if the problem still exists will lift the tieback diode on the PDB and post back the results.

Cheers.

#9 8 years ago

That feels pretty significant. The brand/type of LED will be a 'fun fact'. Can you state that?
faz

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from sojourner353:

It definitely seems like a ghosting problem as there is ghosting happening on inserts, just need to get around to flashing the LED MOD ROM to fix that and maybe it will fix that also.

It won't.

LED Rom fix changes timing on Lamp Matrix. Flashers are not on lamp matrix.

1 month later
#11 7 years ago

Problem was solved by removing the tieback diodes as suggested, thanks very much for the help.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from sojourner353:

Strange flasher behaviour.

We have a strange flasher in our neighborhood, too. Hopefully the police will catch him soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

£ 110.00
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-flasher-behaviour and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.