(Topic ID: 140419)

Strange electrical problem - related to HH?

By jfh

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a 20 amp circuit controlled by a Control4 programmable switch. The circuit has 5 electrical outlets on it. 4 of the 4 outlets have a single pinball machine plugged into it (Haunted House, Elvira, Scared Stiff, Star Trek). The circuit panel has surge suppression support.

I leave the machines powered on and turn them all on/off with the C4 switch. This seems to work fine for a few weeks/months and then the C4 switch malfunctions and becomes inoperable. This may only happen when HH is turned on, though I've been able to switch the circuit on/off multiple times with all 4 machines on with no problems. When the switch fails, it fails open, so no power is going to the outlets.

The C4 switch is rated for 15 amps and C4 support says it should work fine on a 20 amp circuit (and I have two other circuits, each with more pins on them that work fine).

The HH does not have the grounds mods done, but works fine.

It doesn't seem to me that those 4 pins should be able to overload the circuit at start up. I don't know why, but it seems to me it's logical that HH is somehow causing the problem. I don't think the C4 switch is relevant to the discussion other than its internal circuits are somehow getting blown.

I know little about electricity - can someone offer thoughts as to what might be going on here? Is there any way HH can cause a problem simply by being plugged in, powered on or not?

One suggestion was to make the circuit a 15 amp circuit, though I'm not sure that would solve anything.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

This is just a few points IMO, I am not an electrician, but an electronics tech by trade.

>If you have a 20 amp circuit, you need to make sure the wiring is rated for 20 amp
>I have 5 pins and a shuffle bowler on a 15A circuit and never have a problem.
>IMO I would suspect the C4 switch more than I would any of the games.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks. I know the wiring is rated for 20 amps - it was new construction.

It may be the C4 switch, but according to C4 support they almost never see them fail and I've had two fail in four months on that circuit.

#4 8 years ago

The 4 pins don't draw 15 amps when running, but they may surge more than 15 amps at startup.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The 4 pins don't draw 15 amps when running, but they may surge more than 15 amps at startup.

Wouldn't this be consistent though? If the 4 together draw more than 15 on start, shouldn't they draw more than 15 every time?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Wouldn't this be consistent though?

No. The draw would vary. Its one of those frustrating things, where it may work 5 times out of 6, but fails occasionally for no apparent reason.

#7 8 years ago

Electrical surges are at start up will in a range from here to there. So sometimes it will be over the limit and other time not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 249.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
£ 38.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

£ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 49.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-electrical-problem-related-to-hh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.