Linked Games

Topic poll

“GNR LE or Stranger Things LE”

• GNR LE 74 votes
    61%
  • Stranger Things LE 47 votes
    39%

(121 votes)

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Okay, I have a question that might be very obvious, and two days ago would have been super obvious to me, but today I’m not so sure.
The only arcade I play at is Silverball in Asbury Park NJ and unfortunately, they don’t carry any Stern games. So my love is always for JJP and old Bally Williams games, since that is all I know.
Recently, we moved from an apartment in NYC with no room for pins to a house which has room for about three games. Maybe four, if I squeeze. So, I already purchased a Wonka, which I love. And my nine year old daughter loves it to, so I am super happy with that purchase.
Now, this week I have my GNR coming. And yesterday, I decided to take a 2 hour ride out to my distributor, Automated Services in CT, to play some of the other games. And the strangest thing happened. I fell in love with Stranger Things. And Jurassic Park of course. Jurassic Park is pretty much no-brainer. I think am going to get the premium when they restock, but I am searching for an LE in the meantime, but now the big question is should my third pin be GNR or Stranger Things?
I really love the GNR game, had a smile on my face every time I played at Silverball, and seems like a fun game to have when we start actually having friends inside our home again. But Stranger Things, which I had read so many poor reviews of, was super fun and immersive in a whole different way. I played an LE and the sound was amazing. The projections were cool. And the Demigorgon was so fun. I actually shot a ball into its (mouth?) and that was super satisfying. And it really was exciting and creepy. Never achieved TK lock, so I’m not sure it was working, I heard it doesn’t work all the time. I am super torn on this choice, so I would appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks so much.
Best
Joey

#2 3 years ago

I have not played GNR yet, so take this with a truck of salt, but I think it depends on the playstyle you prefer. I am a huge fan of Stranger Things, but that is because it reminds me of a different theme, slightly different layout of AFM. If you like those classic B/W titles where you shoot the large toy/object in the middle of the playfield, then I think it would be a good choice. If you prefer the wide body pins, then stick with Wonka and GNR. I think either way you have good pins to have some fun with. I do think its important to have different style games though, and Stranger Things has a classic 90's feel to me, that no collection should be without. So, while I am sure I am in the minority here, I say ST.

Enjoy your new space and be prepared to have less furniture in the house to make room for more pins!

#3 3 years ago

I would just buy the one you like and not worry about what other people say. Everyone (or almost everyone) is going to say GNR, but if you like ST go your own direction. I haven’t played GNR, but I do think ST is a bit better than it’s given credit for. Not the best, but not has bad as people say.

#4 3 years ago

If you like stranger things then go for it. GNR looks like one of the greatest games of all time to me, and stranger things is barely better looking than LZ to me.

#5 3 years ago

I am in love with my Stranger Things! Most played game in my collection and I have some halfway decent titles. Has a strong "one more game" appeal.

If it clicks with you I'd go for it... bet you can get a solid discount with a dealer since they seem to be having trouble moving them. I'd like a GNR as well, but I'm holding out for a used one in a year or two.

#6 3 years ago

Both games are on the easy side to me so if you like that then either really.

If you are a more beginning level player both are cool.

Had Stranger things for a while and I didnt love it but anyone who came over to play did, its easy to know what to do and the UV thing is awesome.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks to all those who posted. I am surprised that Stranger Things has the egde.

I just recieved my shooter skull and action button mods from Lior for the GNR machine, so that made me think I should probably keep my order as is. But...

...I am trying to figure a way to get both. Spoke to my wife about possible other places for pinball machines in the new house. I asked about the dining room but was shot down, but she is considering alternatives. Here's hoping we are a four pin house and not a three pin house in the near future. Heck...maybe a five pin house. Who needs seating?

#8 3 years ago

If you already have an order for gnr, I’d get that. Play it, have fun, trade or sell later. Stranger Things will not be hard to find later.

#9 3 years ago

I will go against the grain. Have only played Stranger Things on route a few times, but wasn't impressed. The hit the weird flower shot got old fast. Maybe if I played a nice, dialed in, home use version I would change my mind. However, can't vote either way for GNR as haven't played it yet.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

If you already have an order for gnr, I’d get that. Play it, have fun, trade or sell later. Stranger Things will not be hard to find later.

This is probably not true since it didnt sell great.

Once the NIB games left are sold off this one could turn out to be on the rare side especially since more and more people are getting into it.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Thanks to all those who posted. I am surprised that Stranger Things has the egde.
I just recieved my shooter skull and action button mods from Lior for the GNR machine, so that made me think I should probably keep my order as is. But...
...I am trying to figure a way to get both. Spoke to my wife about possible other places for pinball machines in the new house. I asked about the dining room but was shot down, but she is considering alternatives. Here's hoping we are a four pin house and not a three pin house in the near future. Heck...maybe a five pin house. Who needs seating?

2,4,5 it doesn't really matter because once your hook it's Game Over!

I use to think oh 2 is perfect? Man was I wrong
The more I get the more I want.

I took over dining room and she didn't even see it coming.

#12 3 years ago

I'm surprised this poll is as close as it is. It's like saying, would you rather have anal warts or skittles?

#13 3 years ago

I love stranger things!!

I had a pro, and played the snot out of it, I ended up frying a board on it and traded it with cash for a Wonka, but loved it.

No shame in getting one, it’s An incredible game, add the UV kit, it’s next level.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

How long did it take you to get to 5 pins, Pinchild? I know I should wait and buy a little at a time, but I am veruca salting a bit, because I want them now. JP, GNR, Stranger Things...I’m obsessed!

1 week later
#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

2,4,5 it doesn't really matter because once your hook it's Game Over!
I took over dining room and she didn't even see it coming.

Lucky guy. I have been warned, pins take over house, I better be ready to pay alimony. LOL And (so far) love her more than pins.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

How long did it take you to get to 5 pins, Pinchild? I know I should wait and buy a little at a time, but I am veruca salting a bit, because I want them now. JP, GNR, Stranger Things...I’m obsessed!

I don't know about Pinchild, but I bought 1 - 5 years ago this February, 4 days later bought second, had 5 within 6 months, currently have 10 in my collection, plus two project games. The second project game is my 41st game owned overall. But I am not addicted, can quit any time I want. Really, and I mean that.

#17 3 years ago

After now playing GNR LE I am probably out on purchasing a GNR. I might wait until JJP produces a ton and price comes back down to earth. I would much rather have ST or JP than GNR. It is beautiful but gameplay was very lackluster to me.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

But I am not addicted, can quit any time I want. Really, and I mean that

Hahahaha! I know the feeling. So I made my decision—new Stranger Thing LE arrived this week. And I love it! But I feel the pull of wanting the next one, and will probably get GNR next. But if I lived alone, every available space would be fitted with a new pin! What is it about this hobby? So addictive!

And Stranger Things is super fun, if anyone hasn’t tried it yet, or ignored it because of bad buzz. Never played early code but the latest code (1.02) is super fun and challenging. I did have to adjust my Demogorgon, which was not as easy as I would have preferred, but so satisfying to hit that thing! Now, if I can just dial in my TK diverter, all will be right with the world.

1 week later
#19 3 years ago

I have a GnR LE and it's easily my favorite pin. That being said, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Stranger Things premium. Thankfully I've got McPinn54 as a good friend to help me dial in ST. After this purchase I'll only have room for one more pin. Maybe it's time to buy a new house!!!

#20 3 years ago

We just moved. And I love our new home. But in June we had an accepted offer on another house with full finished basement. Easily room for ten pins. And someone came in and out bid us before the contract was done. I am happy with what we ended up with, but once in awhile I dream of the game room that could have been.

#21 3 years ago

Just pulled the trigger on a GnR LE. Gotta do it Joey. We can try to dial it in together like ST. Lol

#22 3 years ago

DE GNR FTW!

in all fairness I have not played JJP's GNR yet. But DE's is the best DE game made.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Just pulled the trigger on a GnR LE.

Still have my GNR order in, so I’ll be ready to dial it in with you. Probably won’t arrive for another 6-8weeks as I passed up my last spot for Stranger Things. No regrets on that. Now if I can hold off the 6-8 weeks without buying yet another different pin. But if WOZRR or JPLE comes up, I may not be able to resist.

#24 3 years ago

If you like the classic B/W games, then STh is just AFM on steroids. I have both those games, and I hardly play AFM anymore...and that's a top 10 game, so what does that tell you?

EDIT: One word of caution: you'll spend as much time dialling it in as playing it, but once you get there, it's glorious.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Recently, we moved from an apartment in NYC with no room for pins to a house which has room for about three games. Maybe four, if I squeeze.

So, you will likely have 5 games 6 months from now.
It’s amazing what you can rationalize when you really like something.

Full disclosure, I have Stranger Things Premium and GNR LE on order. I’ve played GNR on two occasions at my distributor’s showroom. Both are great. Get both. You have GNR on order, no reason to cancel, it’s quite an experience. If your going all LE’s you hint that cost may not be an issue. As a less “popular” game, Stranger Things is currently going for a better deal these days. That could be an incentive for you. If you buy NIB LE, you will probably pay full price (nothing wrong with that).

Here se my short take on ST. I’m not a skilled player, but I collect and really enjoy the games. I’m kind of a “bang the ball around and occasionally have moderately good score” player.
1. It has a fan layout with a fun toy (Demogorgon) in the middle on top of a fun feature (projector).
2. It has the 90s style labeled inserts that show your progressions.
3. The UV kit is a great add-on that doesn’t get old.
4. Music from the show is really iconic and makes great theme integration.

Best of luck!

#26 3 years ago

Stranger Things was super fun on location, but when I bought one and put it in my home, it got old very fast. Bad music, sounds and callouts coupled with unsatisfying shots and constant tweaking of mechanics made this game a pain to own. I've never regretted a purchase more. I haven't played GNR, but not a huge fan of the band (except for a few of their most iconic songs). So I would choose neither. If you really enjoy the shots and overall feel of ST, I would grab an Attack From Mars. Better game and it will hold its value.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Stranger Things was super fun on location, but when I bought one and put it in my home, it got old very fast. Bad music, sounds and callouts coupled with unsatisfying shots and constant tweaking of mechanics made this game a pain to own. I've never regretted a purchase more. I haven't played GNR, but not a huge fan of the band (except for a few of their most iconic songs). So I would choose neither. If you really enjoy the shots and overall feel of ST, I would grab an Attack From Mars. Better game and it will hold its value.

I don't remember logging into your account and posting this, but clearly I must have!

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you like the classic B/W games, then STh is just AFM on steroids. I have both those games, and I hardly play AFM anymore...and that's a top 10 game, so what does that tell you?

That you've lost your mind?

#29 3 years ago

I’ve had both in my home, and if your going with the prem/LE version of stranger things, your in for a treat.
But they are both such different games.
Both are great, tough choice.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Still have my GNR order in, so I’ll be ready to dial it in with you. Probably won’t arrive for another 6-8weeks as I passed up my last spot for Stranger Things. No regrets on that. Now if I can hold off the 6-8 weeks without buying yet another different pin. But if WOZRR or JPLE comes up, I may not be able to resist.

Hahaha Goodluck with that!

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's how I feel about The Hobbit...a game that I cancelled a pre-order on twice. So we'll agree to disagree.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's how I feel about The Hobbit...a game that I cancelled a pre-order on twice. So we'll agree to disagree.

in all fairness, hobbit is confusing and not very fun.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

So, you will likely have 5 games 6 months from now.

I think you may be right. Once I took the ride to my distro and played I wanted at least 4 more of his games. It is highly addictive. And I already got the STh LE and delayed my GNR and I’m super happy with my decision. I love all the assets from the show and it inspired my whole family to watch all three seasons of the show together. And my wife really loves the show and the game. The game is awesome! (Pain to dial in but worth it)

Now if I can just find a JPLE Ill be a happy man.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Interesting.. opposite for us. Having one at the house. Dialing in the demogorgan shot, locking balls on the TK (which neither were good on the routed one), installing the UV, and topped off with Cleland code.. we are absolutely loving it, and so has everyone who's played it. GnR is probably great, but STh all day.

Added over 3 years ago:

Will add a post...

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

5 pins once I got hooked back in 2003?

6 months maybe.

I'm still hooked

#36 3 years ago

Stick to the facts vs opinions on making a decision. Everyone will have a different opinion on gameplay. Use the market price to help.

Considering stranger things price is in the toilet while GnR is selling at a premium, get ST now, play it and then get GnR if it's not meeting expectations.

2 weeks later
#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

U give The Hobbit 10 out of 10 and he lost his mind? I'm starting to think in ur comparison "Anal warts" is GnR and thats a good thing.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

in all fairness, hobbit is confusing and not very fun.

It stinks.

#39 3 years ago

Have STh pro with UV kit, and Cleland sound mod. It’s the families favorite and I love it also. Really fun pin. No regrets getting a demo pro for a nice discount since I never played a premium. Saved $2300 and putting that towards EHOH.

#40 3 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I bought STh LE about a month ago and no regrets, I love it!

#41 3 years ago

For the walk-up, not really good with pins or know what to do at all, Stranger Things for SURE.

Even for an intermediate player, with updated code, it's 'deep' enough to keep them on their toes. The UV kit is super cool, sound is great and even more so with mods.

As mentioned, it plays much like Attack from Mars.

GnR to me would be very good also, but I'd give the edge to ST as it has more legs than many people give it. It's been very solid for me on location.

#42 3 years ago

GnR is one of the best games to come out it awhile. But when playing with pinball friends it can get a little boring to watch. Me and my friends have a lot more fun on games like ST and SW. Short playing games with players is always more fun. Just my thoughts....

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Pan94:

GnR is one of the best games to come out it awhile.

Nah.
Might be the best lit game to come out in a while. I'll give it that. But when u and friends prefer SW's and ST and most people would rather play JP or DP it hardly makes it "one of the best games to come out in a while"

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

GNR looks like one of the greatest games of all time to me

"looks like" is right.
If how a pin looks is the most important thing then go GnR if u want gameplay and rules then STh.

#45 3 years ago

I own a Stranger Things premium and a GnR LE. They actually sit side by side. With this thread in mind I have let my friends decide which pin(s) we play. I'll say something to the nature of turn on the pins you want to play. They all go directly to GnR. Personally I like them both.

#46 3 years ago

stranger things is high on my list, only because of the cleland sound mod. Without it the game wouldn't even be in consideration.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

stranger things is high on my list, only because of the cleland sound mod. Without it the game wouldn't even be in consideration.

I agree.. Cleland wakes this game up. But can't deny UV and fun factor. The family played GnR. Asked them STh or GnR? Without question STh. GnR was cool and pretty but was kinda meh. Take away the drumsticks and it just a side ramp. Spinner has been done. Doesn't lift like AIQ. Upper small playfield felt like a toy. A direct shot would have been sweet and better flow. Plus STh is under $8k all in WITH the UV. GnR is 11500 or so now?

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Anubis330:

I own a Stranger Things premium and a GnR LE. They actually sit side by side. With this thread in mind I have let my friends decide which pin(s) we play. I'll say something to the nature of turn on the pins you want to play. They all go directly to GnR. Personally I like them both.

I don't doubt they go directly to that game. It's gorgeous. The question is which game do people stay at?

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

I agree.. Cleland wakes this game up. But can't deny UV and fun factor. The family played GnR. Asked them STh or GnR? Without question STh. GnR was cool and pretty but was kinda meh. Take away the drumsticks and it just a side ramp. Spinner has been done. Doesn't lift like AIQ. Upper small playfield felt like a toy. A direct shot would have been sweet and better flow. Plus STh is under $8k all in WITH the UV. GnR is 11500 or so now?

sounds like you would prefer GnR SE. Its fast flowy awesomeness.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

If you prefer the wide body pins, then stick with Wonka and GNR

Wonka & GNR are standard size pins .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 210.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 10.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 11,000.00
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-decision-gnr-or-stranger-things?hl=pinball-nja and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.