Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

anyone else have the problem with TOTAN doing SDTM when it is on the upper magnet genie, wife is getting pissed since happens so much. I also have the setting on where it is supposed to save the ball if that happens but doesnt seem to do anything??

any suggestions

#2 12 years ago

absolutely!!!! Magnet holds the ball for a few seconds, shaking it. 1. Prepare to tap side. 2. Upon magnetic release TAP SIDE of cab.

Shazzzam. makeable shot.

#3 12 years ago

also you can change the number of seconds that it will save the ball. sounds like yours is off or just for a few seconds.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

also you can change the number of seconds that it will save the ball. sounds like yours is off or just for a few seconds.

i got ball save up to 6 or 8 seconds, well i will tell the wife she is not alone then

i usually do a little tap myself but sometimes still doesnt help

#5 12 years ago

The magnet is supposed to fling/shake the ball. Rarely does it go SDTM on mine.

In adjustments menu:
A.2 22 has the factory settings for it as Disabled- Should give the ball back if enabled. Is your machine keeping the adjustment?

Is is flinging the ball, or just locking the ball and releasing?

#6 12 years ago

you gotta tap it after it lets go, near the top, where the slightest sideways nudge will dramatically change the trajectory. The timer is working while the ball is held, but TOTAN times seem short to me. Just don't tap while the ball is still held. wait for it to start rolling slowly, then.. nudge. You'll get it down. That secret is one of my tricks for kicking newbie butts on it... lol. So don't tell anyone.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

The magnet is supposed to fling/shake the ball. Rarely does it go SDTM on mine.

In adjustments menu:
A.2 22 has the factory settings for it as Disabled- Should give the ball back if enabled. Is your machine keeping the adjustment?

Is is flinging the ball, or just locking the ball and releasing?

it seems to do a little of both when it feels like it, sometimes just a solid hold and a roll other times starts whipping the ball around

Quoted from docscott:

you gotta tap it after it lets go, near the top, where the slightest sideways nudge will dramatically change the trajectory. The timer is working while the ball is held, but TOTAN times seem short to me. Just don't tap while the ball is still held. wait for it to start rolling slowly, then.. nudge. You'll get it down. That secret is one of my tricks for kicking newbie butts on it... lol. So don't tell anyone.

LOL will go play a few more games and try it out

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

it seems to do a little of both when it feels like it, sometimes just a solid hold and a roll other times starts whipping the ball around

So it does throb/pulse?

What ROM version. Version 1.4 is supposed to have a variable magnet setting. Magnet countdown goes from the time it grabs the ball.

#9 12 years ago

someone on rgp suggested new firmware looks like this is what i need. i have version 1.3

G11 Version 1.4 Date: October 15, 1996 (10/15/96)
Checksum: 6914

Changes since Version 1.3:

Added Adjustment A2.27 (MAGNET THROW). This adjustment can be
used to strengthen the magnet power when the game tries to
throw the ball off the magnet at Tale start.

Fixed a bug in Final Battle when a tilt occurs.
Balls are returned to the shooter faster in Final Battle.
Improved diverter rules between Harem Multiball and Rocs mode.
Slight improvements to speech.
Timing to the jet bumper post improved to help jet bumper action

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

So it does throb/pulse?

What ROM version. Version 1.4 is supposed to have a variable magnet setting. Magnet countdown goes from the time it grabs the ball.

looks like i need to upgrade to 1.4 where can i get the new roms?

#11 12 years ago

Mine throbs too. Just occasionally goes to the side. At least half the time it throbs then let's it go sdtm. Sounds like exactly what dvandentop experiences.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

Mine throbs too. Just occasionally goes to the side. At least half the time it throbs then let's it go sdtm. Sounds like exactly what dvandentop experiences.

boot up your game and see what version it shows when 1st starting up??

i had 1.3

would be aweosme if we both get ours fixed!

#13 12 years ago

That is probably it. It is also telling that they have a ball save for this. They knew when designing it that it would sometime do it, so it is not an uncommon problem.

#14 12 years ago

Docscott i will let you know when i get mine if it improved, i ordered from here

http://www.pinballroms.com/

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

Docscott i will let you know when i get mine if it improved, i ordered from here
http://www.pinballroms.com/

Please do that. I never thought it might be something wrong, as it does fling it sometimes. Let me know.... meanwhile, I'll just keep tapping mine...

#16 12 years ago

Correct on the firmware, I had that problem basically go away with the new firmware. Before it would just dribble down the middle, now if flings it good and almost never goes down the middle. In fact, I cannot even remember the last time it went down the middle from the magnet. The firmware fixed it good!

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Correct on the firmware, I had that problem basically go away with the new firmware. Before it would just dribble down the middle, now if flings it good and almost never goes down the middle. In fact, I cannot even remember the last time it went down the middle from the magnet. The firmware fixed it good! []

kick ass will be even better after the firmware! cant wait to get it now!

1 week later
#18 12 years ago

DR Scott this helped for sure go ahead and order the 1.4 rom and set the magnet throw to level 1 and it seems to help alot!

hell i got my best score on the machine after installing the new rom!

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

DR Scott this helped for sure go ahead and order the 1.4 rom and set the magnet throw to level 1 and it seems to help alot!

thanks, I'll do that! Appreciate the update.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

dvandentop said:DR Scott this helped for sure go ahead and order the 1.4 rom and set the magnet throw to level 1 and it seems to help alot!
thanks, I'll do that! Appreciate the update.

no problem man, and then damn wife beat my high score i set last night too

#21 12 years ago

Yea really made a difference on mine!! Glad it has improved, I think you will not be disappointed upgrading the Roms!

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

no problem man, and then damn wife beat my high score i set last night too

Hahaa now you got some work to do my friend. May the force be with you.

#23 12 years ago

I had a weird thing happen on TOTAN last night. I was having an awesome game and I shot the ball at the Genie to start Final Battle. The magnet failed to grab the ball before lowering into the playfield, and the machine got confused. It shut off power to the flippers. I thought it would give me the ball back in the trough, but instead my ball ended. I was shocked that it didn't compensate. Is this a bug in the software?

#24 12 years ago

never had that happen

#25 12 years ago

I had the SDTM happen when I played totan the other weekend at a friends, but only once.....otherwise it would shake the ball around and throw it near the lamp. Glad to hear you guys figured it out! I liked the game a lot!!

#26 12 years ago

1.4 version is the way to go. It fixed the magnet STDM problem on mine.

#27 12 years ago

Well, it looks like my problem with the ball draining the other day wasn't a bug in the software after all. Nope, I'm afraid it's a bigger problem. I went to play a game last night, and none of the solenoids would fire. I'm guessing I may have blown a fuse.

#28 12 years ago

Yea that makes sense Gweempose, anytime I have the magnet not grab the ball it does not start the multiball/final battle and the game continues, you must hit it again and the magnet has to grab it and drop it below for it to go.

#29 12 years ago

my dang wife got all the jewels last night but she lost the ball just after the princess was talking about saving her! was awesome and now i am excited to get that mode again!

#30 12 years ago

I concur. The next software fixes it just find the right setting. I think mine is set to 2 and it never stdtm. I tried 1 and 3 and thinking 3 was the more powerfull but its just how it throws it not the power.

#31 12 years ago

I have the 1.4 version, thanks to stangbat, , and rarely experience stdm's off the magnet. Setting is on "1". Tried 2 one time but it didnt seem to throb and fling. What I occassionally experience is a vanishing magnet error when I cannot detect any issues. Everything works like it should. Run thru tests and all appears fine. Credit dot goes away with next game played.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

What I occassionally experience is a vanishing magnet error when I cannot detect any issues.

Mine does this as well. I can't tell if it's because a certain number of balls have been played without starting multiball, or if it's just some weird design flaw. I get a similar error for the Borg lock on STTNG, and it's definitely because it's such a hard shot to hit that the opto rarely gets triggered.

As for the throw setting, I never played around with it until this thread. Mine has always been set to the default (1), and I almost never get SDTM drains. Last night I tried the other two settings, but I actually prefer the default.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 36.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
$ 84.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/straight-down-the-middle-totan-off-genie-magnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.