(Topic ID: 298059)

STP40NF10L replacing STP20N10L?

By zorgthedestroyer

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have a monopoly pinball where the trough up-kicker got locked on and fried the coil. I replaced the coil and diode and replaced the MOSFET with a IRL540N. powered on machine to find the coil stuck on still. figured i had a bum FET or a dead U1 so I just shotgunned it and replaced the chip and the FET. checked the diode was in the right direction... still locked on.

i have a pack of STP40NF10L's and seen some folks mentioning that it could be used (it was more expensive or whatever) in any case, I put one of those in there. powered on, still stuck on. replaced C270 just to be sure. still locks on.

pulled the wire out of the IDC, the coil stays off... so the playfield wiring is good. (not grounded out)

used a logic probe to check the output of U1 when the solenoid test is performed. i can see the low to high pulse... so the logic is working.

can the STP40NF10L maybe NOT replace the STP20N10L? I can't for the life of me figure out why this continues to stay locked on.

#2 2 years ago

Oddly enough, I found the very very edge of the through-hole for the gate signal had pulled up off the board, breaking the connection from U1. It looked like it was connected but had a tiny break where the sliver of a trace connected.

A jumper wire solved this issue.

So yes, in fact the STP40NF10L does replace perfectly well... It just needs the gate hooked up!

#3 2 years ago

20N10 is rated at 20 amps/100 volts

40N10 is rated at 40 amps/100 volts

The other specs are pretty identical with the "40" being a tougher part at double the rated current but it will probably be more expensive

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from zorgthedestroyer:

can the STP40NF10L maybe NOT replace the STP20N10L?

There is some discussion on F replacing L on different parts. Not sure if the information applies to your situation: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Can_an_IRF540_replace_a_P20N10L.2C_P22NE10L_or_an_IRL540.3F

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stp40nf10l-replacing-stp20n10l and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.