(Topic ID: 87596)

LONG STORY - A Texan in Los Angeles - 3 Pinball Arcades in 3 Days!

By Jared

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jared
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    bert.jpg
    hanger-512.jpg
    familyguy-horror.jpeg
    04CJ5696.jpg
    DSC_3732.jpg
    DSC_4002.jpg
    DSC_3533.jpg
    DSC_4038.jpg
    DSC_4003.jpg
    DSC_3949.jpg
    DSC_3972.jpg
    DSC_3918.jpg
    DSC_3913.jpg
    DSC_3903.jpg
    DSC_3865.jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

After 30 years in Texas, I began to think that perhaps I would never find my way to California. You grow up seeing it in movies and on television, you feel like it's a place you have been without ever having gone there. The palm trees, the ocean, the Hollywood sign. You expect LA to be like an episode of Saved by the Bell or Encino Man. Not exactly the case.

Professionally I am a marketing & social media expert. I handle design, PR, media and web responsibilities at different levels for a multitude of clients big and small. One of my clients is actually a race car driver, Alec Udell. Alex is only 18, but he has been racing since he was a small child. At the age of 15 he became the youngest driver in history to join the ranks of the Pirelli World Challenge. At 18, he is now a formidable contender for the race towards a series podium. As a part of the Motorsports Development Group, sponsored by Watson Racing, he helms a Ford Mustang BOSS 302 race car in the GTS class. He is an outstanding person on and off the track.

The Pirelli World Challenge hold races all around the nation, the foremost of these is arguably the Long Beach Grand Prix in southern California. The weather, the scenery, the large amount of spectators and overall carnival atmosphere of this race among others makes it a standout event every year. Due to liability reasons, Alec has not been allowed to race in this event until now since he is finally 18. An invitation was extended to me as Alec's web and marketing manager to attend the race to see the operations up close. I realized that this would finally be my first trip to California. I began to get very excited.

People in places like New York or Los Angeles might take it for granted. The rest of us grow up seeing just about every movie or show take place in these locations. Its embedded into our childhood memories. The little logo on the side of the motorcycles in the show CHIPS... the people on skateboards on sidewalks along side a beach. They are images in your head of a place you have never seen... never actually witnessed. With this trip, I was about to witness it.

I arrived in California at 7am on Thursday April 10th 2014. Outside waiting for me was my friend Jason Ybarra. Jason came to Dallas for the Epic Party with his incredible TMNT van and suits. He actually was 1 of the 4 turtles who appeared on stage with Vanilla Ice. This time he had another trick up his sleeve, picking me up from LAX in a 1986 Toyota Van than had been done up as "Ratchet" the autobot from the original Transformers Cartoon show. I am sure many people around town would be very confused to see this van, maybe mistaking it for a Japanese ambulance. Much like his TMNT van, a toy collector and nerd like me immediately recognized it as the lifesize version of the old G1 series toy from the mid 80's. Far out.

Now inside of a life size Transformer toy, I began my trip in Southern California.

DSC_3529.jpgDSC_3529.jpgDSC_3540.jpgDSC_3540.jpgDSC_3543.jpgDSC_3543.jpg

As we cruised along to Santa Monica pier, I quickly realized something. The weather. Oh my, this weather was glorious. It was incredible. It was amazing. I must have picked a good day to come? No... I was told the weather is like this more or less constantly. Imagine if there were a place on earth that the temperatures were always between 60-75 degrees. Well, that is Southern California. Through out my trip the weather remained consistently amazing, and this is easily the #1 selling point of this region of the state. Say what you want about southern California, you cannot argue that the weather is absolutely amazing.

Pulling up to the world famous Sana Monica pier, I saw my first glimpse of the Pacific Ocean. This huge ocean, filled with history and the ghosts of WW2. It was a emotional moment for me. I am sure many of you will think I am a wuss for being caught up in the emotion of the moment, but to me it was bigger than just the water, it was the overwhelming thought of everything that has taken place in the water. It was amazing. Along the beach people were doing yoga, working out, running along, and generally being active. This was my first glimpse at the southern California fascination with physical appearance, working out and beauty. Its an ongoing theme, as nearly anywhere we went, even in the city, people were working out, running around, and being physically active. I would assume that this is because in part the weather allows for such constant outside activity, but I think its also a part of the southern California culture to look good. Being a large, overweight Texan I realized that amongst these sun tanned and chiseled people I was an obvious tourist.

The pier itself was basically a tourist trap, but of interest to me was the fact that there was a long standing arcade there, as well as the fact that this exact pier is in fact the END to the world famous Route 66. Yep, starting in Chicago the mother-road crosses the nation to end up right here... in the Pacific Ocean... at the Santa Monica pier. That was also an amazing moment for me to realize where I was standing and think a little about how many had come before me.

DSC_3533.jpgDSC_3533.jpg

I could not help myself but to take a look inside the pier arcade, and it was a sad sight. I was happy to see many classic and vintage games, presumably still doing their jobs in their original location for more than 30 years, but also saddened to see the state of the pinball machines there. The machines were not maintained, working well, or clean. They were a sad excuse for spending money, and no doubt serve to embed the idea in peoples heads that pinball machines are not fun and are old antiques. Thankfully, later in my trip I would find the opposite.

DSC_3542.jpgDSC_3542.jpg

We left the pier and headed to the downtown Tar Pits. You may have seen the tar pits in movies like "Last Action Hero" or "Volcano" but it was amazing to see them in person. There were tourists everywhere, so I felt a smidge more comfortable here. We visited the small museum here, but it was overall a forgettable experience.

DSC_3552.jpgDSC_3552.jpgDSC_3555.jpgDSC_3555.jpgDSC_3560.jpgDSC_3560.jpg

After the tar pits we checked out Hollywood. I got to see the walk of fame, the Chinese theater and the Hollywood sign. What they dont tell you on TV is that this area is not nearly as nice as you might think. The area was overall run down, full of tourists, and people trying to sell things. The smell of weed filled the air, which was a common occurrence in many cities that I visited, including at the actual Grand Prix race itself. I am convinced that southern California and Marijuana are something that are hand in hand. It kind of is what it is.

DSC_3607.jpgDSC_3607.jpg

Jason took me to Universal Studios, where his employee pass permitted us to park for free. We got out to take a quick shot of the Universal Globe, and by accident I walked on to the set of EXTRA. There 20 feet from me was Mario Lopez, the host, whom you might remember as AC Slater in the TV Show "Saved by the Bell". That was cool to see him in person. Wow, has he aged at all?

DSC_3626.jpgDSC_3626.jpgDSC_3627.jpgDSC_3627.jpgDSC_3628.jpgDSC_3628.jpg

We left Universal and headed to Long Beach for me to meet up with the race team. This was my first encounter with the world famous southern California traffic. What should have been a 30 minute drive ended up being nearly 2 hours. This is ridiculous, but I am told its a part of the life here. As we stopped and went on the highway, I was able to take good looks at the amount of Graffiti, trash and homeless people along the highways and roads. Truly, downtown LA is a very dirty place. The only place I could think to compare it to in terms of litter and graffiti is Paris France.

We pulled up in Long Beach and I was able to find the race team inside of the convention center. Alec had a PR event out in the street on Pine, so I stayed with him through out this event. It was really cool to see how the race promoter used the cars to get the public excited about the event and pull in crowds. This was also a cool chance to get pictures of people all around the car, which honestly does not happen often due to the places the car is generally parked.

DSC_3704.jpgDSC_3704.jpgDSC_3713.jpgDSC_3713.jpgDSC_3724.jpgDSC_3724.jpg

After the event Jason and I had dinner at a place in Long Beach called "Agaves" which promised to be 100% authentic southern California Mexican food. I was not impressed, and realized that southern California style and TEX-MEX style are totally different. If you like guacamole though, southern California is the place to be!

The team got me a hotel room at the Double Tree next to the Queen Mary, where I stayed during my trip. The queen Mary was MASSIVE to see in person. I did not get a chance to go into it. Of higher interest to me, was the large DOME next to it. I knew from my history that this dome was actually created by legendary aviator Howard Hugues for launch of the world famous "Spruce Goose" the largest water plane ever made and the biggest wing-span of any aircraft in history. Being so close to this dome was a cool feeling, even though I was about 70 years too late for the party.

DSC_4002.jpgDSC_4002.jpg

Friday came and I checked the race schedule. For Alec, the entire day was very uneventful. Only a small practice session late in the afternoon was his obligation. I would not be needed with the team this day.

My friend Andrick Zeen picked me up at the hotel, and offered to be my guide. Andrick is a race car driver and instructor who lives in Huntington Beach, just south of Long Beach. Andrick and I have hung out several times in Dallas, Orlando and Los Vegas, but obviously never in California. I was thankful to have another local willing to take care of me and show me around.

Andrick took me to lunch at a place in Compton. Eatalian Cafe. This place was incredible. Its a LARGE place inside of a old warehouse. The story is that the owner is from Italy, and was not happy with any of the local ingredients and processes. At tremendous personal expense, he imported all of the machinery and things needed to make all he needed right there in Compton. His own cheese, his own noodles, his own meat. His own bread, his own espresso, his own gelato. Truly, 100% of everything you eat in this place is made in this place. It was a very authentic experience and I am happy to have come there!

After lunch I insisted on traveling the entire length of Compton east to west from the 110 to the 605. Although some of the areas looked rough, it did not appear to me that it was a hardcore place. Of course, this could have been because I didnt stop, and we were on a main road. All the same, I can now say that I went to Compton, made the W with my hand and yelled WEST SIDE! Tupac would have been proud. Or embarrassed. lol

We went to Huntington Beach, and I saw Andricks home. Remarkably, it does not have any air conditioning. This was baffling to me being a Texan. I asked "What would you do if it got hot?". He replied "It wont". Equally baffling was the fact that door and windows were open. "Wont the bugs get in?" I wondered aloud. "What bugs, lol?" he replied. Wow, I was beginning to understand why people put up with the problems of southern California ... because the benefits balance them out.

DSC_3732.jpgDSC_3732.jpg

Downtown Huntington beach was amazing. If Billabong, Hurley, Hobie, Reef Gear and Don Jon all had a place to call home, it would certainly be Huntington Beach. It was as if the gadzooks or zumiez at your local mall turned into an entire city on a beach. Skateboards, Long Boards, Surf Boards. Girls wearing next to nothing... guys without shirts, dirty blonde hair, backwards hats with bent bills, dogs with bandannas. When the beach boys were talking about "Surfing Safari" they must have been talking about visiting Huntington Beach. Here I also had my first ever Pacific Fish taco... and my friends... it was life changing. It was the perfect mix of fish, cilantro, cabbage and sauce. It ruined me. I will never be able to enjoy a fish taco in Texas ever again.

DSC_3731.jpgDSC_3731.jpgDSC_3737.jpgDSC_3737.jpgDSC_3749.jpgDSC_3749.jpgDSC_3754.jpgDSC_3754.jpg

Andrick took me further down to Newport to check out the exotic car dealerships and homes. This entire area in Orange County was amazing.

From here we went to a Fast and Furious movie scene search. We were able to find the statues from the scene in the 1st movie where the green eclipse was blown up by machine guns. We were able to find the market which was the home of "Torrettos" where Brian first declares that he loves the tuna fish. I actually bought some tunafish from the lady there too, and made sure they had sandwiches for sale. Sure enough, there they were in a case... no crust! Why the owner insists on calling this place "Bobs" is beyond me, a simple name change could make this a huge tourist destination. We also found "the house" from the movie, where Brian is told he can have any beer he wants as long as it's a corona. With a little imagination you could believe that Torretto still lived in there, and was having a party as I took my pictures outside in the dark. It was very cool to see.

DSC_3767.jpgDSC_3767.jpgDSC_3780.jpgDSC_3780.jpgDSC_3783.jpgDSC_3783.jpgDSC_3790.jpgDSC_3790.jpg

We check out Korean town, had amazing BBQ, and waited 2 hours to get it. Homeless were everywhere, even pitching tents on the street! Truly I have never seen homeless so established and widespread as I have in central LA.

DSC_3801.jpgDSC_3801.jpg

Finally we made it to a new place called "82". 82 is a "bar-cade" in LA that features classic arcade machines as well as 16 pinball machines. The machines are maintained and curated by a famous local pinball personality known as "Pinball Molly" or just Molly. He previous venture called "Pins & Needles" was a big part of getting pinball desirable again in LA, and my initial plans to visit this place were in vain as I learned it had been shut down... well... put on hiatus. I am not actually sure what the status is, but the games I expected to find at Pins and Needles were in fact at 82... as was Molly herself. So as far as I am concerned, the pinball side of 82 is the current incarnation of Pins and Needles, but I may very well be mistaken.

The machines were in superb shape. A couple of new Sterns, some old sold states, even a few EM games. Overall the games were in fantastic condition, playing great, and fully quipped with the ever handy pin gulps. On the other side of the arcade were scores of classic arcade games, all in fine condition. They had wired up the Street Fighter machine to project the game onto the walls, only further escalating demand for the game. Quarters were lined up on the screen with a massive crowd around the game. It was amazing to see, I had not seen a scene like that since the early 90's!!

82 is doing amazing work. I was told by Molly that all of the machines were performing well beyond the expectations of the owners. "If I owned that Street Fighter I could put my kids through college!" she quipped. It was truly inspiring to see so many locals and casual players embracing pinball again... embracing classic arcade games.

DSC_3803.jpgDSC_3803.jpgDSC_3804.jpgDSC_3804.jpgDSC_3805.jpgDSC_3805.jpgDSC_3806.jpgDSC_3806.jpgDSC_3807.jpgDSC_3807.jpgDSC_3808.jpgDSC_3808.jpgDSC_3809.jpgDSC_3809.jpgDSC_3810.jpgDSC_3810.jpgDSC_3811.jpgDSC_3811.jpgDSC_3812.jpgDSC_3812.jpgDSC_3813.jpgDSC_3813.jpgDSC_3814.jpgDSC_3814.jpgDSC_3815.jpgDSC_3815.jpgDSC_3816.jpgDSC_3816.jpgDSC_3817.jpgDSC_3817.jpgDSC_3818.jpgDSC_3818.jpgDSC_3819.jpgDSC_3819.jpgDSC_3820.jpgDSC_3820.jpgDSC_3821.jpgDSC_3821.jpgDSC_3822.jpgDSC_3822.jpgDSC_3823.jpgDSC_3823.jpgDSC_3824.jpgDSC_3824.jpgDSC_3825.jpgDSC_3825.jpgDSC_3826.jpgDSC_3826.jpg

Saturday arrived and took the boat from the hotel to the convention center. Now I can say I have been in a boat in the pacific! Inside Alec was due up to sign autographs, which is something I wanted to capture on film. He did great, and the fans like him due to his outstanding personality. The only other thing on the schedule for the day was qualifying which would be a total of 18 minutes. I asked the team chief Stewart what the plan was for after than, he said "Sleep". The team was dead set on the race, and honestly me just standing there was taking up space.

DSC_3865.jpgDSC_3865.jpg

Andrick met up with me again and we headed off to East LA to find the mythical 5lb burrito.

El Tepeyac #1 is famous for its 80oz burrito, aka, 5lbs. This burrito has been featured on MAN VS FOOD and has been seen around the world. As such, there was a wait to get in and eat. Being the proud Texan that I am, I decided that I would have to eat the Burrito and claim victory over Mexico yet again! WRONG. This burrito was a true monster, devoid of flavor, dry, and eventually... foul. My head churned... I sweated... I got dizzy. I made it 80-85% of the way... before I could go no more! I tried my best... but there was no way this man could do it.. I accept defeat.

DSC_3903.jpgDSC_3903.jpg

We checked out little Tokyo and their odd shops and eateries, The mix of people here were equally genuine Japanese people, tourists, and local teenage nerds dressed up like Anime characters. It was a very odd place!

After was will become a legendary trip to the bathroom, we headed up to the Griffith Observatory. To get to it you have to drive through a tunnel which is oddly familiar! It was used in the movies "Back to the Future" and "Who framed Roger Rabbit". I was so excited to drive though this little tunnel, but was saddened to find that it was much shorter than shown on film, and also did not lead to the amazing toontoon. Admission to the Observatory is free... if you can find a place to park. We trudged up the hill towards the place, a reminder than people in California love to be outdoors and to walk everywhere. I was wondering where the escalator might be?

Once in front of this legendary building it was a sight to behold, the view of LA from here was unparallelled. Just amazing to see in person. They had great exhibits inside, and a fantastic planetarium show for $7. Well worth the price for the show, the narrator gave a audible performance worthy of an Oscar, never reading from a script! This was a very memorable experience for me, and I think that everyone should take the trip to this place at least once.

DSC_3913.jpgDSC_3913.jpgDSC_3918.jpgDSC_3918.jpgDSC_3949.jpgDSC_3949.jpgDSC_3972.jpgDSC_3972.jpg

Leaving the mountain we headed towards a secret place. Well, I have to say it is secret because the owner would rather me not tell you all where it was or exactly what was in it. Here is what I can say. Someone reached out to me on a pinball owners message board and offered to let me come and play his collection. His collection is massive... larger than I could count, with more than 50 games on legs and ready to play. It was inside of a private place... with no sign or indicator where it was. If you were not invited to be here... you would never know it was here. He had every type of game from DMD moderns to actual PIN ball games from the 30's. There was LED up-lighting on the walls... classic toys and other amazing things I wont mention. It was a sight to behold... but I was asked not to take any pictures. Andrick and I played pinball with about 8 other guests, all of whom where extremely friendly and kind. I am very thankful to this person for the hospitality and invitation to come play their machines. I have never, ever seen anything like it.

Sunday came, and it was my last day in LA! I packed up all of my things and left the hotel and got back on the boat for the convention center. Alec was going to hit the track at 4:30pm, so I wanted to be in position early. I grabbed lunch at a restaurant on the grounds, ordering fish tacos again, but they were no match to the ones I had had previously on the beach.

DSC_4003.jpgDSC_4003.jpg

Alec fought hard, ultimately finishing in 5th place in a class of 20.

DSC_4038.jpgDSC_4038.jpg

My flight left at 7pm, so I had to cut out around 5:15 to get back to LAX by 5:50pm. I got there just in time, got all checked in, ready to go. It was a 4 day trip that went way, way too fast.

I am so thankful to my friends for driving me around, picking me up and dropping me off. To Jason and to Andrick. I am thankful to my client and friend Alec Udell for making the trip possible and allowing me to see him race in the best circuit of the series. I am thankful to the SOCAL pinball community for coming out to play at the "Secret Place" and being invited to come there at all.

Southern California is a very special place. Its unique in culture, sight, smell and feel, The care-free surfer attitude meets the business of a massive city, and they mix together to make a beautiful place. The weather is amazing, the traffic is terrible, and the fish tacos are life changing. I only got to see a little, but I hope to return someday soon with my wife and continue the adventure.

Until then....

#2 10 years ago

Fantastic writing ability and great pictures as well. I read most of it!

I guess we take the weather here in Cali for granted a lot. Our family is actually driving to LA for the weekend to the Wondercon and a day trip to Venice Beach.

Again, great story and thanks for sharing.

#3 10 years ago

Omg that was a long post I'm jealous BTW. Sounds like you had fun.

#4 10 years ago

Thank you so much for reading. I know it was a lot to read!

#5 10 years ago

Epic, Tolstoy.

#6 10 years ago

blah blah blah tacos blah blah weed blah blah nice weather blah blah pinball.

Sounds about right!

Sorry I missed the fun Saturday night, but my sister's wedding was epically good, so I'm just being nice, not sorry in the slightest.

#7 10 years ago

What do you mean?

Quoted from Aurich:

blah blah blah tacos blah blah weed blah blah nice weather blah blah pinball.
    Sounds about right!
    Sorry I missed the fun Saturday night, but my sister's wedding was epically good, so I'm just being nice, not sorry in the slightest.

LOL. I appreciate the honesty. I considered doing the pinball only version of this story, but I like to tell the whole story.

Sadly the best part of the pinball related portion of this story is not to be told in a public forum. Thankfully, you of all people know why.

#8 10 years ago

Nice meetin' ya Jared! Oh wait...shhhhh it's a secret

I wish I had known you were at the tarpits...I work right across the street....could have showed ya the ol' cartoon sausage factory.

Next time we'll get some 1/2 lb vegan burritos...that's about all I can handle.

#9 10 years ago

Next time you gotta head up to NorCal too - it's totally different than SoCal though. Looks like a great trip!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

LOL. I appreciate the honesty. I considered doing the pinball only version of this story, but I like to tell the whole story.

I actually read the whole thing, that's how I was able to condense it to the good stuff!

Quoted from Jared:

Sadly the best part of the pinball related portion of this story is not to be told in a public forum. Thankfully, you of all people know why.

Haha yes, sorry I couldn't be there, if I wasn't up in Northern California for the wedding I would have rolled through for sure. Since Greg admitted he was there I can say you should have crashed his house next, his collection is refined to only the cream.

#11 10 years ago

That's definitely the longest post on Pinside where I actually read 90% of it. I enjoyed seeing someone's impressions who'd never been to SoCal before. Lots of great things here, mixed in with a lot of not so great things here. Like that burrito that led to the epic bathroom visit.

#12 10 years ago

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read all of this. It took me about two hours to write it. It took me about another 45 minutes just to program in all of the photos within the story for the pin side post. LOL I hope that you guys enjoy reading about your home from a outsiders point of view.

#13 10 years ago

Good read, but I have to admit I didn't read 100% of it. Thumb up nonetheless.

#14 10 years ago

I wonder how people decide what parts to read and what parts to skip... lol

My guess is pictures of pinball machines.

#15 10 years ago

Great travel write-up! However you should re-topic to "A Texan in LA" as most of the rest of CA isn't like LA yet LA gets most of the media exposure.

#17 10 years ago

Enjoyed the write up for sure, thanks for posting it

#18 10 years ago

Very cool. Sounds like a great trip!

(But ya gotta go to Oregon to see the Spruce Goose now. They USED to keep it down the pier at the QM.)

#19 10 years ago

That Xmen LE looks familiar!!!

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Very cool. Sounds like a great trip!
    (But ya gotta go to Oregon to see the Spruce Goose now. They USED to keep it down the pier at the QM.)

Seeing the Spruce Goose is on my bucket list.

I took over 900 photos, I only posted enough here to keep the story moving along...

For anyone who read the whole thing... lol... thanks for that.

#21 10 years ago

The hangar where the goose was built is still standing in Playa Vista. Also, shooting location for Avatar.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Seeing the Spruce Goose is on my bucket list.
    I took over 900 photos, I only posted enough here to keep the story moving along...
    For anyone who read the whole thing... lol... thanks for that.

I read the lot!

I'll be in LA next week so I was interested in your write up.

I've been to LA probably 10-12 times before but not since 2006 so it's been a while.

I had to laugh when I read your bit about Hollywood ... I remember the first time I went there about 25 years ago as a kid, coming from quiet old New Zealand it was a bit of an eye opener.

I think people are conditioned to think of Hollywood in particular as having streets paved with gold ... Nothing could be further from the truth. I remember once being at the Greyhound bus terminal in Hollywood and my wife (then girlfriend) crying because she was so scared of all the weirdos lol

rd

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I read the lot!
    I'll be in LA next week so I was interested in your write up.
    I've been to LA probably 10-12 times before but not since 2006 so it's been a while.
    I had to laugh when I read your bit about Hollywood ... I remember the first time I went there about 25 years ago as a kid, coming from quiet old New Zealand it was a bit of an eye opener.
    I think people are conditioned to think of Hollywood in particular as having streets paved with gold ... Nothing could be further from the truth. I remember once being at the Greyhound bus terminal in Hollywood and my wife (then girlfriend) crying because she was so scared of all the weirdos lol
    rd

Sounds about right!!

#24 10 years ago

The Long Beach Grand Prix is an epic event. I haven't been in a few years but it was a blast! Lot's of things to do and see. We kind of take it for granted sometimes, but glad you had a great time! Cheers.

#25 10 years ago

Epic post man. I read it in its entirety and enjoyed seeing it from your perspective. Made me realize that I need to get out and do more cool Socal stuff.

Most Texans I know hate Cali so this post makes me feel good. Nice job.

Off to find your secret pinball palace.......

#26 10 years ago

Read the whole thing. Lived there for 6 years and it is always fun to see and hear what people choose to do when they visit. You definitely hit some key points, would have loved to have given you a couple other places to see and places to eat.

Thanks for sharing!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

What do you mean?

He is calling you Tolstoy because Tolstoy wrote War and Peace.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Most Texans I know hate Cali

Yeah, like there's reason not to... I mean...LA specifically? Come on. It's the one of the few places in the entire country that the traffic is WORSE than Dallas and Austin. Combined. Ridiculous... I'd rather jump into a tiger pit than live in or anywhere near LA after visitng there. Going downtown felt like I was walking into a black market and just waiting for someone to get shot or stabbed. Screw that town..... about the only thing I liked about Cali the two times I've been there is that liquor was sold in 7-11's. >=|

#29 10 years ago

good read. glad you enjoyed your stay, next time you should go to Northern Cali especially if you bring the wife its like a different world up here oh and theres trees

#30 10 years ago

Great write up (and I did read it all, but I like travel talk)! The other thing I found so odd about the LA / Hollywood area is the truth to the stereotype that almost everyone seems to be a struggling actor trying to get in to show business (especially all the waiters / waitresses and bartenders). My wife used to work in radio and one time we were there with a DJ that does drive time in LA and is syndicated in a lot of national markets... I swear to god the waiter taking our order at the Buca di Beppo in Universal was auditioning for him while serving our table, too funny.
    So Cal is definitely a beautiful area to visit.
    You should have grabbed a pic of that huge Scientology center that is down Hollywood blvd from Grauman's. They know where to pick their spot

#31 10 years ago

That's the first novel I have read in years…..
    All kidding aside, what an awesome write up.
    So glad the weather was nice! Oh wait…. it's always like that

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I think people are conditioned to think of Hollywood in particular as having streets paved with gold ...

Golden showers maybe

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The Long Beach Grand Prix is an epic event. I haven't been in a few years but it was a blast! Lot's of things to do and see. We kind of take it for granted sometimes, but glad you had a great time! Cheers.

No kidding. Everyone is guilty, stuff going on next door and not caring. Because of my obsession with Wikipedia, I was able to stump both of my SOCAL hosts with facts about the area they were not even specifically aware of. The race is outstanding.

Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Epic post man. I read it in its entirety and enjoyed seeing it from your perspective. Made me realize that I need to get out and do more cool Socal stuff.
    Most Texans I know hate Cali so this post makes me feel good. Nice job.
    Off to find your secret pinball palace.......

I dont hate it at all... its a very nice place to visit. I could see myself having a home in a place like Huntington or Newport for sure.

Dont look to hard for the secret pinball hideout... when they want you to find it... you will.....

Quoted from Xenon75:

Read the whole thing. Lived there for 6 years and it is always fun to see and hear what people choose to do when they visit. You definitely hit some key points, would have loved to have given you a couple other places to see and places to eat.
    Thanks for sharing!

I will be back. Feel free to leave pointers.

Quoted from captainadam_21:

He is calling you Tolstoy because Tolstoy wrote War and Peace.

Thanks!

Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, like there's reason not to... I mean...LA specifically? Come on. It's the one of the few places in the entire country that the traffic is WORSE than Dallas and Austin. Combined. Ridiculous... I'd rather jump into a tiger pit than live in or anywhere near LA after visitng there. Going downtown felt like I was walking into a black market and just waiting for someone to get shot or stabbed. Screw that town..... about the only thing I liked about Cali the two times I've been there is that liquor was sold in 7-11's. >=|

It was indeed the worst traffic I have ever seen.

Quoted from SKILL_SHOT:

good read. glad you enjoyed your stay, next time you should go to Northern Cali especially if you bring the wife its like a different world up here oh and theres trees

Apparently I need to visit Super SOCAL, then Central Cal, and then NorCal. No-one has asked me to go to Death Valley yet... lol.

Ca is similar to Texas in that its extremely diverse depending on where you live. I didnt realize, but it would take a very long time to drove from one end of CA to the other, just as if can take as much as 18 hours to drive across Texas when going from the one end to the other...

When I fly into LAX, its easy for me to see the areas within 45 minutes of there, but getting up and out... that will require a true planning of adventure. I would love to see the redwood forest... all the multi-decade residents of LA I spoke with had never seen it... which is just proof that people in Orange County need to get up to NorCal too...

Quoted from popeboy:

Great write up (and I did read it all, but I like travel talk)! The other thing I found so odd about the LA / Hollywood area is the truth to the stereotype that almost everyone seems to be a struggling actor trying to get in to show business (especially all the waiters / waitresses and bartenders). My wife used to work in radio and one time we were there with a DJ that does drive time in LA and is syndicated in a lot of national markets... I swear to god the waiter taking our order at the Buca di Beppo in Universal was auditioning for him while serving our table, too funny.
    So Cal is definitely a beautiful area to visit.
    You should have grabbed a pic of that huge Scientology center that is down Hollywood blvd from Grauman's. They know where to pick their spot

I saw that massive place, but was not able to get a photo. Looked like a tourist attraction! LOL.

Quoted from dug:

That's the first novel I have read in years…..
    All kidding aside, what an awesome write up.
    So glad the weather was nice! Oh wait…. it's always like that

Yep, always like that! Consider me jealous!!! Its 32 here in Dallas.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

The race is outstanding.

The last time we went we ended up in the second level of the Hyatt parking lot where you could stand over the track and look down on the cars as they raced by right under you. How cool is that?

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The last time we went we ended up in the second level of the Hyatt parking lot where you could stand over the track and look down on the cars as they raced by right under you. How cool is that?

Very good vantage point. The best photos of this race are taken from above. Clever photogs can get the cars, the track, the bay and the Queen Mary all in the same shot... Above turn 2.

04CJ5696.jpg04CJ5696.jpg

#36 10 years ago

What an amazing and well thought out post, read the whole thing. Thanks for taking the time to document your trip.
    I'm 41 and have lived in LA all my life, it was very interesting for me to view it through your eyes as I take it all for granted every day....especially the weather. But then again I've only lived in valley area where it's usually 20 degrees hotter than the coast. Glad you had a good time and got to eat at places off the radar, we have quite a range of great food here.

Kevin

#37 10 years ago

sweet post man, thanks for sharing was a fun and neat read. hope to visit CA someday too!

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Thank you so much for reading. I know it was a lot to read!

Thanks so much for posting.I put it in my favourites.I'm heading back to LA in September and will refer to this post for places in LA I havent seen yet.
    You wouldn't happen to know of the '82" address? Would love to check it out.
    Thanks again.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

You wouldn't happen to know of the '82" address? Would love to check it out.

707 E. 4th Place, Los Angeles, California 90013

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

707 E. 4th Place, Los Angeles, California 90013

Thanks Aurich. I"ll be there with pics to post when I get back.

#41 10 years ago

82 is an absolute must visit for any pinhead in LA. That place is doing good work for the pinball movement.

Molly told me "Please dont blow her up" on pinside, so I am not sure exactly what that meant. I have nothing but great things to say about the arcade and the condition of the pins there, so I hope that the business remains overwhelming for them. Its a good thing to see people lined up to play pinball machines. In fact, its quite amazing.

#42 10 years ago

Molly kinda stormed off Pinside in a huff, which frankly is what she'll do to you in person if she's not feeling you, so maybe not a ton of love for things here.

Edit: That was petty of me, I apologized to Molly for it, no need to be a jerk.

Post edited by Aurich: Edited for jerkiness

#43 10 years ago

If you come to Cali again, come to San Diego!!!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

If you come to Cali again, come to San Diego!!!

I would love to visit San Diego. California is as large and diverse as Texas... many many places to come and see.

I could say...

If I come back to LA... drive up to LA. lol.

#45 10 years ago

a secret golden location filled with pins & arcade games ?!?!?
    well great, so much for getting any sleep tonight.

the horror !!!! i must know...

familyguy-horror.jpegfamilyguy-horror.jpeg

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

a secret golden location filled with pins & arcades ?!?!? well great, so much for getting any sleep tonight.
    the horror !!!! i must know...

familyguy-horror.jpeg 11 KB

hanger-512.jpghanger-512.jpg

#47 10 years ago

bert.jpgbert.jpg

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I would love to visit San Diego.

On the way down you must drive thru Orange County. Actually you kind of have to unless you take the long roundabout thru Riverside. But San Diego county is the real gem of So Cal. Long stretches of beaches that still remind you of years past. I'm about halfway between LA and SD, and it's really not a bad place to be!

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

On the way down you must drive thru Orange County. Actually you kind of have to unless you take the long roundabout thru Riverside. But San Diego county is the real gem of So Cal. Long stretches of beaches that still remind you of years past. I'm about halfway between LA and SD, and it's really not a bad place to be!

legoland ?

#50 10 years ago

Disneyland. I'm about 15 minutes from there. I used to go a bunch when I was young and when my daughter was young, but not so much any more. You really have to pick the right time or it is too crowded. Legoland was always a bit more laid back.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/story-a-texan-in-california-3-pinball-arcades-in-3-days and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.