20180724_204446 (resized).jpg
2016 pictures 003 (resized).JPG
20180724_111427 (resized).jpg
20180724_111438 (resized).jpg
Storing playfields 020 (resized).jpg
2f3d39cf4cf5b739a351f4a57c0be3c93e371bb6 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180723_1551599.jpg
#1 5 years ago

I've read a few posts concerning storage of a NOS playfield but the answers seem to vary.

I am just looking for a little clarification if I can get it.

-How do you store the playfield? (In a box? Hanging from the wall?)
-Do you lay it vertical or horizontal? Why?
-Do you leave it in the box when stored? Or do you want it out so it can "breath?"
-Do you leave the bubble wrap around it?
-Is there anything else I should be made aware of?

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Vertical, so gravity does not effect inserts.
Out of box, so it can breath.
No wrap around it, would hate to find out I have to peel it off and ruin clear or paint.
All in my unprofessional opinion.
-Mike

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Griz!

(I should also add that it HASN'T been clear coated yet.)

Next question...

-How do you store it vertically? Leaning against the wall? Tucked away in a closet?

#4 5 years ago

Right now I have two tucked in an unused closet leaning gently( angle ) against the wall.
And yes I do check on them every week to make sure nothing has changed.
-Mike

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Right now I have two tucked in an unused closet leaning gently( angle ) against the wall.
And yes I do check on them every week to make sure nothing has changed.
-Mike

Roger that! I will do the same...thanks Griz!

#6 5 years ago

I've never seen a problem with then stored vertically, but I would put foam or something under them to keep them off the floor especially in a basement. I use the packing materials from NIB games. Keeps any moisture away from them. You could always put a couple screws in the wall and hang them in a closet, too.

#7 5 years ago

So like this should be fine?

IMG_20180723_1551599.jpgIMG_20180723_1551599.jpg
#8 5 years ago

Perfect.

#9 5 years ago

Thank you gentlemen!

#10 5 years ago

I disagree. You will get warp in that thing over time. Store horizontal on a flat surface.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I disagree. You will get warp in that thing over time. Store horizontal on a flat surface.

This is where I got confused reading other threads. The answers seem to vary quite a bit...

So flat under a bed? Exposed or in the box?

#12 5 years ago

No matter what you do. If it isn't enclosed something will find a way to scratch it.
No matter what you do. Something will try to get it wet.

There must be a Vid's guide to Playfield Storage.

#13 5 years ago

I thought that the best way to store a game is with playfield rails attached. Even if it means attaching them to the backside, you attach stiffening rails.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

No matter what you do. If it isn't enclosed something will find a way to scratch it.
No matter what you do. Something will try to get it wet.
There must be a Vid's guide to Playfield Storage.

I thought there would be such a thread but couldn't locate anything. Any input from Vid would be appreciated!

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I thought that the best way to store a game is with playfield rails attached. Even if it means attaching them to the backside, you attach stiffening rails.

This is what I've heard as well.

#16 5 years ago

Caveat - I have NO experience with this particular problem. But my instinct (which often fails) says HANG the thing on the wall, maybe with soft spacers beneath it so air can circulate around it. Hooks through pop bumper and/or switch holes? I agree that even a small bit of angled leaning will eventually warp it (especially without any rails to stiffen it).

#17 5 years ago

I would agree vertical but with no lean. Maybe a bungee cord to hold it tightly against the wall?

#18 5 years ago

There is no assembled parts mounted on bottom of pf, so no weight pulling on it to warp it but I do see the concern. However the idea of putting hangers through pop bumper holes or switch lanes... I can guarantee the weight of just the playfield will make the hook indent into the wood and you will be heart broken, especially if it was cleared.
-Mike

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

There is no assembled parts mounted on bottom of pf, so no weight pulling on it to warp it but I do see the concern. However the idea of putting hangers through pop bumper holes or switch lanes... I can guarantee the weight of just the playfield will make the hook indent into the wood and you will be heart broken, especially if it was cleared.
-Mike

I work with wood a lot. Any wood I store leaning warps, no matter what size or type. I would think a playfield would also.

#20 5 years ago

Paging Dr. vid1900 ...Paging Dr. @Vid1900...

#21 5 years ago

I am impressed and enlightened by the variety of replies on playfield storage.

Perhaps someone needs to market a playfield humidor similar to how cigars are stored. Steady temperature, humidity, flat shelves for horizontal storage or vertical slots for those that prefer to stay upright.

I have a couple playfields stored in an upstairs spare room very similar to how ImNotNorm has his pictured; I do not have rails installed but that is a good idea/makes sense. They are not quite at 90 degrees -- probably closer to 85

I might ask someone like kruzman that works playfields for a living; I imagine he might have some insight and opinions.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#22 5 years ago

In the pic of post#7 there is barely any lean angle to the playfield. The wood used is plenty thick enough for that, it's not 1/8 in. plywood.
-Mike

#23 5 years ago

On the ground. If the clear is cured, then it doesn’t matter if it is in a box or not. If it has been cleared within the past 6 mos, I would not box it. Under a bed is perfect. I promise that you will warp a PF if you store it vertical I’ve seen a TOM shaped like a U.

I was once chided by Jim McCune for storing a TAF up against a wall for just one week. That name might not be familiar much around here now, but I promise he knows his shit.

#24 5 years ago

McCune has not been forgotten.
-Mike

#25 5 years ago

It hasn't been clear coated yet.

#26 5 years ago

This is all ridiculous. I have stored playfields, uncoated, for the past 10-15 years, vertical with not a trace of warping.
Hanging it against a wall is not good, as the weight rests only on one side, unless you hang it to two hooks. Then air does not circulate behind it....

What you did is good, as long as your closet gets some dry air.

Yves

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

This is all ridiculous. I have stored playfields, uncoated, for the past 10-15 years, vertical with not a trace of warping.
Hanging it against a wall is not good, as the weight rests only on one side, unless you hang it to two hooks. Then air does not circulate behind it....
What you did is good, as long as your closet gets some dry air.
Yves

We do not normally store playfields, we put them in a few months after we get them. Do you do the same thing for clear coated playfields? We have always kept ours on the floor underneath machines on 2 pieces of wood (like rails) and like the idea of standing them up like the photo in this thread.

Thanks

Con

#28 5 years ago

Put the rails on it, and DON'T lean it at any kind of angle.

If the clear is less than 6 months old, put the rails on the back (use the same holes) so they don't get glued to the surface.

#29 5 years ago

Still have NOS playfields from 30 years ago unwarped, stored properly in shipping boxes vertically in a climate controlled room. Evironment is critical.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

So like this should be fine?

Storing it like this reminds me of going into the pool hall and grabbing a cue that was so warped you could not play well with it.

Why was in warped?

Because someone leaned against the wall instead of placing it back in the cue storage rack.

2f3d39cf4cf5b739a351f4a57c0be3c93e371bb6 (resized).jpg2f3d39cf4cf5b739a351f4a57c0be3c93e371bb6 (resized).jpg

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If the clear is less than 6 months old, put the rails on the back (use the same holes) so they don't get glued to the surface.

Thanks Vid

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When you say don't lean it at any kind of angle....should I lay it flat? Hang from the wall? (It hasn't been cleared yet)

Thanks!

#33 5 years ago

Like this.

Storing playfields 020 (resized).jpgStoring playfields 020 (resized).jpg
#34 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

When you say don't lean it at any kind of angle....should I lay it flat? Hang from the wall? (It hasn't been cleared yet)
Thanks!

Vertical! Check the definition of that word, if it is not clear in your mind. Have a bracket of some sort holding it on the top to prevent the playfield from falling down or tilting.

YVes

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Vertical! Check the definition of that word, if it is not clear in your mind. Have a bracket of some sort holding it on the top to prevent the playfield from falling down or tilting.
YVes

I know what vertical means. Lol. Vid only said not to lean at an angle. That can apply to both vertical and horizontal can it not?

I'm just looking for clarification if it should be lying flat (horizontal) or upright (vertical) as there seems to be dissenting opinions.

#36 5 years ago

You can stand them on the long or short end,. Just make sure they are not leaning at an angle.

Bally games have large holes that you could run a pipe through, hanging a tightly spaced group.

#37 5 years ago

A friend who knows his stuff advised me to lay them flat so at my old house I stored about a dozen on the top shelf of some industrial shelving (the kind that has good, stiff wooden shelves, not the ones that use wire shelves.) I used a combination of tissue paper and butcher's paper to keep them separate from each other with the expectation that I could polish out any fine scratches the paper caused. Most had been clearcoated and were able to offgas just fine this way. They were up there for over seven years with zero issues.

Unfortunately at my new place I don't have the ability to do that so I now have them stored vertically in playfield boxes which are stuffed with playfields so no possibility of them leaning at an angle inside the box. It's been four years and the last time I pulled one out it was still just fine.

#38 5 years ago

The reality of this is either way works. Let me preface either, flat or vertical, not leaning. How they are placed has so much less to do with the warping factor then where they are placed. The key is to keep them stored in relatively stable environment with lower humidity. Playfields are made of cabinet grade plywood. These have better and additional veneers. One side is sealed by the clear coat. If you have concerns about the environment they are to be stored in I suggest sealing the backside to reduce the ability to absorb moisture. Keep in mind this process will not eliminate the problem but inhibit it. If a playfield has acclimated to the surroundings and is stable it should remain stable. If you choose to store your playfields flat be sure the surface you store them on is suitable and stable. Never lay a playfield on a surface such as concrete. There is a good chance it has a higher humidity level and will transfer that to the playfield.

All my playfields are hanging in by basement. It is dry and a dehumidifier maintains the humidity level.

2016 pictures 003 (resized).JPG2016 pictures 003 (resized).JPG
#39 5 years ago

I agree with a few others here, do not store them standing upright at any kind of an angle. The playfield will bow. Some of that bow will disappear when installed in a game but I wouldn't take a chance. In my experience storing them flat doesn't always 100% eliminate bowing either. It occurs less when stored flat versus upright but storing flat doesn't protect you from bowing completely.

I wanted to display some of my playfields instead of hiding them under the bed or in a closet so I came up with this:

20180724_111438 (resized).jpg20180724_111438 (resized).jpg
20180724_111427 (resized).jpg20180724_111427 (resized).jpg

I dismantled an old bunk bed from IKEA about 7 years ago and felt guilty throwing the wood away. I ended up making these frames. I cut a channel out of each piece with a router and joined them to make a frame.

#40 5 years ago

I really like the storage/display box idea. If you are going to have a bunch of NOS play fields may as well see them and enjoy them while waiting for that restore!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

I really like the storage/display box idea.

What happens if the frame warps....?

Yves

#42 5 years ago

Here's how I've been storing my Mirco AFM for a year now about two inches from the wall hanging in some old side rails attached to it, I had to drill some extra holes though.
I'm certainly no expert and this will probably be the only playfield storage I'll do but no warping so far.
Temperaure is roughly about 17-20°C and 40% humidity most of the year, it will hang for a few more years until I find the time for a swap.
20180724_204446 (resized).jpg20180724_204446 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 26.50
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 64.00
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/storing-a-nos-playfield?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.