(Topic ID: 143540)

Stories on Finding Machines - Share HERE!

By MiamiRedSkin

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I want to hear the odd, fun & unexpected ways that each of you have found pinball machines for sale (or for free!). Did you pass by a house with a garage door open to see a funhouse sitting in the corner? Did you go over to a friend's house only to find a machine sitting dusty in their basement? Did you walk into a thrift store and found a Banzai Run hanging out for sale (I think this actually did happen to someone here...). Share away!

#2 8 years ago

I have some boring ones. Was given a couple EMs and got a free Strange Science from a relative's basement (they were moving).

Best one was opening the front door of my apartment and seeing, about 30 feet away, an F14 sticking out of a dumpster. Apparently they were cleaning the apartment basement next to mine and this was down there. Maybe 5 or 6 years back. Can you imagine just opening your front door and seeing that, right on 10th avenue in NYC?

The guys doing the cleaning helped me load it into a cab (I bought 'em a six pack). I took the playfield, head, and legs. Left the cabinet as I didn't have a way to transport it. I guess I could have rented a van or called a friend but I didn't have the time or inclination.

The game itself was actually in pretty nice shape and was almost complete - missing the speaker panel/display and the translite.

The wire harnesses were cut by the workers so they could easily remove the head from the body to move the game. Certainly it was salvagable but like I said I didn't have the inclination.

The game has come in handy over the years. Most of the boardset (all fully working) went into a Cyclone. I've used and continue to use the playfield for parts all the time - really helped out when I got an F14 that was missing a few parts. I think I sold the beacon assembly to someone. If I ever get around to fully stripping the playfield I'll see if anybody wants it for free, it's actually in pretty nice shape for an F14 with smooth inserts.

#3 8 years ago

A guy who made occasional deliveries to my shop got to chatting one day, I mentioned that I was into pinball. He said that he had an old game in his garage that he never played, would I be interested?
    I replied "yes"
    He answered that he will diccus it more next time he made a delivery

This went on for four years

Eventually, I pinned him down, asked what game it was, and did he want to sell

I arranged to see the game the next weekend, I expected the worst, but was willing to even buy a parts machine

Arrived, had a look.
    It was an Abra Ca Dabra, in great condition, backglass bright, no wear on the playfield , minimal damage to the cabinet and full documentation

We settled on a price, and I got my second wedgehead

PS, he had bought the game at the same sale that I bought my first game at, back in 1982

#4 8 years ago

I saw an AD on CL for a pin I wanted at a fair price! Called the guy and he was a normal Joe. Paid cash. loaded the pin and drove home.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I saw an AD on CL for a pin I wanted at a fair price! Called the guy and he was a normal Joe. Paid cash. loaded the pin and drove home.

I think he's looking for TRUE stories, not FICTION!

#6 8 years ago

Well, here's a story that some may remember...https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/into-the-maw-of-dispair-true-account-of-my-latest-craigslist-nightmare

Give that a read and let me know if you think going a craigslist pinball run will ever be the same.

#7 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/into-the-maw-of-dispair-true-account-of-my-latest-craigslist-nightmare

not sure why it didn't hyper link originally but now it looks like it'll work.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Well, here's a story that some may remember...https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/into-the-maw-of-dispair-true-account-of-my-latest-craigslist-nightmare
    Give that a read and let me know if you think going a craigslist pinball run will ever be the same.

This still holds the record for the best pin pickup story ever.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty78:

This still holds the record for the best pin pickup story ever.

I agree. I have been to some sketchy areas and homes when looking for machines, but nothing comes close to that pick-up story above.

#10 8 years ago

Long before there was the internet (things like Ebay, Craig's list, Pinside etc.), a lot of us collectors lived for Thursday morning and the Recycler Magazine.

At one point, I checked out an ad that lead me to two games. The seller didn't know what they were called but then, I really didn't care back then. It was all about the "hunt". They were stored out in a back yard that was filled with lots and lots of junk including a boat etc. Buried partially under a patio cover, covered with blue tarp sat two pins. One was a Bow and Arrow, the other a 4 Million BC. The 4 Million had a mouse nest on the playfield which resulted in some urine damage by the shooter lane. The Bow and Arrow had a broken back glass. As I recall, there was no playfield glass and as a result there was a lot of damage to the playfield. Since I already owned 2 german 4 Million BCs, I passed on both games.

Fast forward over a year later, I met a fellow Pinhead who was searching for a 4 Million. I told him about what I had seen and he wondered if I might be able to re-find the house. As luck would have it, we did since it was right behind a strip plaza. When we pulled up, there was a large haul away dumpster on the side street (this was a corner house). As we started to climb the side of the dumpster to see over the fence, a lady came out and started to yell at us about not making a mess if we dug through the dumpster. We told her we had no interest in it but then asked if she just happened to still have the pinball games from months earlier. Much to my friend's amazement and pleasure, she did. She explained how they had to clean up the property and be out by the end of the month. We managed to get them for $150 for both ($75 each in her mind). He got the 4 Million, I junked the B&A as I needed the entire coin door assembly and 2 complete flipper mechs that were completely missing from a Flip Flop I had just purchased a few weeks earlier.

This must have been back in the mid 80's. Not really sure of the year.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stories-on-finding-machines-share-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.