Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyarcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 2 years ago

I need to store some pins in a storage unit for a few months. Has anyone ever figured out how many pins folded up on end would fit in say a 10X15 storage unit?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It works. There honestly is not much to it if you are even somewhat handy (i assume most on here are).
    The biggest issue for most people seems to be finding the motivation to just do it! Once you get started, you will be surprised how easy it is.
    Once you get the snowball rolling you will ask yourself why you did not do it years ago.
    Once you get the first house paid off (hopefully soon for me) and you see an extra 10k on your annual salary then the snowball can really pick up steam.
    My advice is to buy smart, never use a real estate agent (they eat into profits and for $600 you can hire a good real estate lawyer to handle things for you), and just buy good bones.
    After that the operational side is my least favorite but once you get a system down for finding and retaining good tenants then it gets better.
    I am looking at my 5th rental to possibly purchase later today. This one has a big enough garage that I could wall off the entire back half, add security and temperature control for a little money, and have enough storage to fit all my current overflow

I went down this road. While it can work. 4 times over 15 years the garage/basement was flooded by a tenant by mistake and made a mess.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you figure about a 30" x 30" footprint per folded game, that could maybe give you a maximum of 24 games. Maybe less depending on the exact sizes of the games, how much gap space you loose between games, and the exact size of the space (ie, there aren't any support poles or floor plates in the way along the walls).

Sounds good thanks for the ballpark!! I have 14 pins plus a few arcade games I need to move into one for a few months so sounds like it will work well. I have a TZ that's the only wide body. I also might sell a few. Just curious if they would fit in the that size space since the next size space up from that is a lot more money. I looked at the unit today wide open with a big door nothing in the way. I'm also getting a 15x10 gives me some width so it's not so deep.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I know this might sound like an idea that you don't like, but if you consider how many games that you really play and work properly, perhaps there are some that don't get played as much or don't work as well as you would like. Maybe you could sell some that you like less and make more room without moving anything or renting storage. Just a thought...

I would sell in a second if I had to do long term storage for sure. I would never want to do that to pins leave them in a storage unit folded up for years. I just need to relocate them for a few months and I'm going to sell maybe one or two just for some breathing room. Drives me nuts when people have pins and arcade games jammed in a storage unit long term due to hoarding. Really makes no sense and its sad.

1 week later
    #37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Befriend the owner/manager of the storage unit and talk them into putting you near an outlet and then bring an extension cord.
    I use my storage unit as a 3rd gameroom for the games that need a deep clean and that I don’t want near my nice games! It’s nice to be able to work on them and play them in genuine peace and quiet! Get a unit with doors on both sides, it makes is sooooo much easier to get to what you want. At worst you only have to ever move half the stuff to get to everything! No more moving everything to get to one thing in the back.

This storage place is brand new and not one outlet to be seen anywhere! I was shocked there is usually something in the hallway. The lights are led motion lights so no more unscrewing the light bulb and adding some outlets there. The nice part about this unit is it's 15 across by 10 so it's a big door and easy to maneuver the game around. Amazing how expensive climate controlled units have gotten. Hopefully they won't be in there too long. It is nice and quiet in there was hoping for an outlet within reach but I looked all over not one to be seen.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You can try asking, just say it’s to test some things before you put them away or pull them out? Some guys try to charge you but my guy hasn’t and he said “who cares this place makes tons of money as is. I don’t need to charge a fee for using the outlet for an hour” storage units are hell of a racket.
    They usually have outlets SOMEWHERE sometimes hidden up in the ceiling to vacuum/use power tools for maintenance work.
    Mine is the 15 across by 10 as well and it’s awesome. I have my shuffle bowler setup with 6 pins and a couch lol. I also got some hooks and strung up removable LEDs. My last step is to bring in a jukebox. Or a mini fridge

This place is brand new so I think they thought of every way to keep costs down. The ceiling is about 12 foot and I've looked around not an outlet in site. I actually walked around the entire place nothing. The storage units are 8 feet tall with heavy thick chicken wire between the 8 foot and 12 foot ceiling. I've rented in older places and they had outlets around and didn't mind if you plugged in but this place is just too new. LED motion lights in the units direct wired in. Other than pulling that out and adding a box with an outlet that's about it. They got smart! Either way at this point it's just for storage till I can buy a bigger house. Sucks this housing market is hot though.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’m paying about $800 a year for my climate-controlled 10x10. I can keep 2 big shelves of parts and 8 games in it. The vast majority of the pins I store are 80’s games that I’ve spent weeks or months restoring. The place didn’t raise my rate at all this year, which surprised me. You definitely have to be prepared to move every 2-3 years. One time I had my mom rent the unit next to mine, same size, for $100 less. I just moved my stuff with a hand truck, only took a few hours.

Ya'll got some cheap units! My climate controlled 10x15 is $200 a month!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyarcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/storage-unit-question?tu=phillyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.