88 days ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by fattdirk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 88 days ago

I'm out of room but am a hoarder when it comes to pins. I'm considering getting a storage unit to regain use of my garage and put some long term projects in. Just curious if other's have storage units, how big and what things I should consider while shopping for one.

#2 88 days ago

It needs to be climate controlled year round. Go for an indoor storage place. Otherwise you will be pulling out machines with rusted assemblies and planked playfields.

No matter what, If you store them a mile or ten miles away, you wont touch them. Once you get sick of the ever increasing storage fees, you will just bring them back home again after spending $1500 a year to store them.

#3 88 days ago

I have more games than my house can store. I lent out 5 working games that I rotate around. Hopefully, as I get some of the projects fixed and lent out for a while, I'll be comfortable about selling a reliable game.

#4 88 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

It needs to be climate controlled year round. Go for an indoor storage place. Otherwise you will be pulling out machines with rusted assemblies and planked playfields.
    No matter what, If you store them a mile or ten miles away, you wont touch them. Once you get sick of the ever increasing storage fees, you will just bring them back home again after spending $1500 a year to store them.

This is exactly what I worry about. We're going to be moving in the next 6 months hopefully if we find a house we like. I was considering just building a building since you can get a decent storage shed for 3k and it's yours but I don't want to do that now since we might be moving. Maybe I'll just fold up stuff in my gameroom for now and just have one machine to play at a time.

#5 88 days ago

I bought a sea container and dropped it on my property for my overflow. It's cheaper in the long run than storage units.

#6 88 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

It needs to be climate controlled year round.

Keep in mind that there are two kinds of climate controlled units. Units that are actually at a consistent set temperature, and units that have a large swing range from something like 50'F-80'F. Swing temperatures are not good for pins, especially during the weather transitions between seasons.

For any space, take advantage of as much vertical space as possible.

I found that these racks are a good fit for backboxes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-24-in-D-x-77-in-W-x-72-in-H-3-Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/3172913

#7 88 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Keep in mind that there are two kinds of climate controlled units. Units that are actually at a consistent set temperature, and units that have a large swing range from something like 50'F-80'F. Swing temperatures are not good for pins, especially during the weather transitions between seasons.
    For any space, take advantage of as much vertical space as possible.
    I found that these racks are a good fit for backboxes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-24-in-D-x-77-in-W-x-72-in-H-3-Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/3172913

That's why I mentioned to get an indoor storage place (Like the abandoned Mills slot machine factory on Fullerton in Chicago). They are maintained at 68° in the Winter and 75° in the Summer. At least in the Northern climate.

#8 88 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

That's why I mentioned to get an indoor storage place (Like the abandoned Mills slot machine factory on Fullerton in Chicago). They are maintained at 68° in the Winter and 75° in the Summer. At least in the Northern climate.

Around here, they play very loose with the "climate controlled" term, even with indoor units. You just really need to ask to what extent the unit is actually climate controlled.

#9 88 days ago

Just remember... "group" storage units are a unnecessary evil. They get you in... expect that you won't get out... and start wratching up the rent almost immediately. They are gambling you won't want to move your crap to another competitor.

The best thing I did was buy a
    Costco plastic "car" shed; build it off the ground one spring... and put my overflow there. The car shed paid for itself in like 8mths.

#10 88 days ago

Friends and families houses make great storage spaces as well. I currently have several games at family members houses to keep them indoors in climate control because I don't want to sell them. Just waiting for my kids to all be out and off at college so I can fill their bedrooms with games.....

#11 88 days ago

Above advise about getting a unit that is; indoors, climate controlled with few temperature swings is really good. Search https://www.sparefoot.com/Johns-Creek-GA-self-storage.html to find the best rates near you. Most storage companies give you a free first month. Zitt made a good point about them slowly raising your rates.

#12 88 days ago

Sell a few games that you could more easily get back at a later date.
    Or
    Find a friend that can store games for you

#13 87 days ago

Any friends with bars or barcades?
    Might make a little money in meantime.

#14 87 days ago

Once you are there more than a couple years they constantly raise the rates figuring you'll just keep paying. I have been trying to make more room at home so I can empty mine. My rate has almost tripled since I first got it. Without a doubt I would have I would have been better off either selling stuff or just not buying as much considering the thousands I have spent to store stuff.

#15 87 days ago

you'll find most neighbors or friends would love to babysit a pinball in their basement.

#16 86 days ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

you'll find most neighbors or friends would love to babysit a pinball in their basement.

family, friends, neighbors..in that order

#17 86 days ago

When I was contemplating a storage unit, I realized it was time to let stuff go. You can always get stuff back. Whatever you think you can't get back easily or for what you sold it for, keep. This will eliminate your lack of space issue.

#18 86 days ago

I have two pins (Time warp & who dunnit) in storage right now, and hate it every month when I pay the bill. They've been in there so long, I could have bought them again with the money I've paid for storage.

I moved everything from my basement to the storage unit to make room for pins. But we only use 3-4 boxes from the storage unit each year, which could easily be kept in a closet at the house.

We've been planning to get everything out of the unit for 2 years now, and just never really want to deal with it. Probably time for a yard sale, and to find a friend that wants to have a couple pins at their house.

#19 86 days ago

Sounds like I should buy some land and invest in a storage unit

#20 86 days ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

there was some dude on here who bought his storage unit, I looked in my area and found a similar place.
    No idea what it cost, but I'm sure it's not cheap.
    https://www.luxurywarehousestorage.com/

#21 86 days ago

Owns 36 pinball machines...

Scoffs at buying a Costco shed

#22 86 days ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

Have you ever thought of buying a second house in your neighborhood, using it as a rental, and keeping the rental house garage to use as your storage?
    I am serious.

Looking at your neighborhood it appears $120k will buy you a reasonable 3b/1ba ranch. Appears you could add a garage to most of the homes that dont have one. Also appears that you can get 1000-1300 in rent and your neighborhood looks to probably have a nice tenant base.

So basically, I would advise selling a few of your newer games to raise 20k in down payment capital (if you dont have it already on hand; guessing you likely do). Take that 20k, put in a little sweat equity over the winter and you have a positive cash flow investment already PLUS you get to use that rental garage as your overflow storage.

The numbers work out pretty easy on this one.

Why pay for storage, when you can get paid AND get free storage?

#23 86 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Have you ever thought of buying a second house in your neighborhood, using it as a rental, and keeping the rental house garage to use as your storage?
    I am serious.
    Looking at your neighborhood it appears $120k will buy you a reasonable 3b/1ba ranch. Appears you could add a garage to most of the homes that dont have one. Also appears that you can get 1000-1300 in rent and your neighborhood looks to probably have a nice tenant base.
    So basically, I would advise selling a few of your newer games to raise 20k in down payment capital (if you dont have it already on hand; guessing you likely do). Take that 20k, put in a little sweat equity over the winter and you have a positive cash flow investment already PLUS you get to use that rental garage as your overflow storage.

Neat Idea, I may have to think about that.

#24 86 days ago
    Quoted from jjoravec:

Neat Idea, I may have to think about that.

It works. There honestly is not much to it if you are even somewhat handy (i assume most on here are).

The biggest issue for most people seems to be finding the motivation to just do it! Once you get started, you will be surprised how easy it is.
    Once you get the snowball rolling you will ask yourself why you did not do it years ago.

Once you get the first house paid off (hopefully soon for me) and you see an extra 10k on your annual salary then the snowball can really pick up steam.

My advice is to buy smart, never use a real estate agent (they eat into profits and for $600 you can hire a good real estate lawyer to handle things for you), and just buy good bones.

After that the operational side is my least favorite but once you get a system down for finding and retaining good tenants then it gets better.

I am looking at my 5th rental to possibly purchase later today. This one has a big enough garage that I could wall off the entire back half, add security and temperature control for a little money, and have enough storage to fit all my current overflow

#25 85 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am serious.

No but that's a good idea. I'm just too lazy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside