(Topic ID: 172524)

Stop with the Video Screens arleady. This is pinball not cinema!

By Barakawins1

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fnosm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Had to post this already. Every manufacturer is concentrating on video screens to increase sales. This is pinball not cinema.
    Your eyes should be peeled on gameplay, ramps, targets and cool toys. There is no time to watch a video. The prices and technology
    to make video incorporated into pinball is killing the market. The long time collector lived without video all this time for the reason
    that video wasn't necessary. In early early years we just had scoring displays. DMD is enough video. Video modes were taken away
    from games, but now video screens are added? Makes no sense. Games need to me made with more player interaction through playing pinball.
    Excitement should be built by playfield layout and theme. I just think that there is too much technology wasted on video screens which
    could be sacrificed for lower priced games which should be affordable to the public. Just add a color dmd to the released title and everyone will be happy.

#2 7 years ago

Wrong. Stop. Have you actually OWNED a game with a screen yet? No? Stop.

#3 7 years ago

Dump all the electronic displays. Go back to REEL pinball.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : Remembering Beester here.

#4 7 years ago

Buy a TBL and you will change your opinion!

#5 7 years ago

Yes.. Had a WOZ and WOZ is now a was.

#6 7 years ago

Whether people know it or not, the display IS a part of pinball. It helps the player be drawn into the theme of the game. Whether it be with cool animations, rules integration, or seeing big jackpot values; the display is part of the play and experience. I say bring on the new era of displays.....just not at $1000 over cost per unit

Who knows what sterns new display will bring, but quick and easy status reports with JJPs large screen is more than welcome. If you don't know how to read a display or status report, best go figure it out - you may learn some new rules about your pin

#7 7 years ago

I somewhat agree with the OP. I don't OWN a pin with a LCD screen, but I've played The Hobbit and WOZ a fair share, and I must say, for most people it's pretty dam hard to watch a video screen that's split into 4 separate little screens while trying to play the game. Hard enough some times trying to follow the ball let alone watching TV. It does draw people in I understand, and I do like the idea. Wouldn't keep me from buying either one either. But it can be difficult to follow.. Just my .02

#8 7 years ago

I'm not sure if you've noticed but about 95% of the people here have been begging for years for LCD screens on their pinball machines.

I don't really care about them but I think it's losing battle here for you.

#9 7 years ago

Im with the OP. Its not how I remember pinball and I find it more of a distraction than anything else.

#10 7 years ago

I'm not with the OP, respectfully. It gives spectators a little more to watch. Plus, the red dots are just painfully obsolete in 2016.

On that note, bring back video modes!

#11 7 years ago

My friend that works in an elite military branch once said "stop all the downloading!"

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

On that note, bring back video modes!

I was with you. Until I wasn't.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Im with the OP. Its not how I remember pinball and I find it more of a distraction than anything else.

Simple solution: only buy old pinball you remember. There's lots of it out there.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I was with you. Until I wasn't.

Screens for some people, video modes for others?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Yes.. Had a WOZ and WOZ is now a was.

Ok admit it - THIS sentence is the reason you started this post! Lol

#16 7 years ago

The video screen is much more for the observer than player. If it makes more people want to play then I'm all for it.

#17 7 years ago

I think they've finally figured out how to do it with Dialed In. Stern's screen is just a slightly larger DMD.

Anyway, I disagree with your assertion.

#18 7 years ago

Screens all the way baby! They help new players understand the game, they provide something interesting from the other players to look at while waiting for their turn, they provided enhanced game information, etc. I think there is a lot of stuff that could be done with integration. I love the idea of cell phone integration. For example, I would love for a game to update my high scores to my phone automagically. Maybe even send me a video of my game to analyze later. As long as the focus is under the glass, screens will only make the game more engaging.

#19 7 years ago

“The bigger the better; in everything.”
    ― Freddie Mercury

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stop-with-the-video-screens-arleady-this-is-pinball-not-cinema and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.