(Topic ID: 122850)

STOP using paypal for pre-ordering! You are NOT protected.

By lowepg

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (2).jpg
    printable-coupon-dicks-no-expiration-20-percent-off-whole-store.jpg
    108309074_5c93022c76.jpg
    legolas2.jpg
    image.jpg
    preorder4.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

This issue came up in another thread, but since it's mired in thousands of posts, I think it warrants a clearer conversation.

Also, it doesn't JUST impact the folks stuck in the Predator fiasco, it impacts ANY companies trying to (mis)use Paypal for their preordering.

Simply put, Paypal does not allow for pre-ordering purchases. They require the product is SHIPPED within 20 days of payment. TWENTY DAYS!

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ1488&topicID=SECURITY_PROTECTIONS_US&m=TCI

As such, the standard policy for them to accept a claim against a purchase is limited to 45 days.

preorder4.jpgpreorder4.jpg

So folks, stop using paypal for ANY pinball machine pre-orders with ANY company! You will be operating outside their standard ToS.... and the sellers should know this!

Somebody cranking out mods on the side for $20, 50 - $100- sure use paypal.
    But if someone fancies themself a "pinball manufacturer" and intends to collect hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions?), then they can bloody well open a REAL credit card merchant account like other REAL businesses do.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Just do the smart thing and STOP PRE-ORDERING ALTOGETHER!

Well, DUH, yah...

But I'm trying to appeal to the kids that don't think "abstinence" works...

If you MUST participate in high risk behavior, at least use some PROTECTION.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

And here's a crazy thought. What if Kevin refunds everybody's money?

Then he'll go down as just a liar, not a liar AND a thief.

But there's already a thread for that.

So, my post wasn't to cast aspersions on ALL projects, but to simply state PAYPAL could very well offer little to no protection for pre-ordering per THEIR OWN terms of service.

So, regardless of whether you're buying from the crooks or the heros in this hobby, paypal is not the right tool if you're looking for risk protection.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

How is PayPal different than any other payment method?

Well, in some cases - it *IS* different - that's what I was trying to share.

Specifically when it comes to buyer protection, it extends for a much shorter time than many credit cards do themselves.

And, while some might be covered here because they fund their paypal with a credit card, many people do not. They fund paypal via bank drafts and/or use existing balances from trades/sales/etc.

In THOSE cases, using paypal is MUCH different than simply using a credit card.

Other than that, I don't think we're disagreeing.

#51 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Or just "Stop using Paypal" all together.
    download (2).jpg
    "Stop using Paypal!"

Na.

Paypal is just fine. People like to piss and moan, but they get the job done. Its only when people don't read the rules or otherwise have unreal expectations that they have issues.

I remember buying crap through the mail and having to send checks and money orders.... its a helluva lot better than those days!

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

But how can I get all that cash for my imaginary game if I stop responding?
    Back on topic though, paypal has its uses. I just wouldn't link it to any bank accounts. I had a pin friend pay me via paypal once. He covered the fees, but it was a pita to get the payment.

Agreed.

Paypal is HEAVILY (insanely?) slanted towards protecting BUYERS. Except for the folks that think they're pulling as "fast one" on paypal and pay using "paypal gift" - they are potentially screwing themselves- but I have little sympathy for them since they're already trying to scam the system...

Not so much sellers.

I don't hesitate to use if for small online purchases (with AMEX funding as backup).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stop-using-paypal-for-pre-ordering-you-are-not-protected?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.