STOP using paypal for pre-ordering! You are NOT protected.

(Topic ID: 122850)

STOP using paypal for pre-ordering! You are NOT protected.

By lowepg

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinballrockstar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download (2).jpg
    printable-coupon-dicks-no-expiration-20-percent-off-whole-store.jpg
    108309074_5c93022c76.jpg
    legolas2.jpg
    image.jpg
    preorder4.jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Or just "Stop using Paypal" all together.
    download (2).jpg
    "Stop using Paypal!"

Na.

Paypal is just fine. People like to piss and moan, but they get the job done. Its only when people don't read the rules or otherwise have unreal expectations that they have issues.

I remember buying crap through the mail and having to send checks and money orders.... its a helluva lot better than those days!

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I remember buying crap through the mail and having to send checks and money orders.... its a helluva lot better than those days!

The convenience is great, their customer service is some of the worst if you have an issue (at least in my past experience, haven't used them lately much other than for receiving payments).
    http://boingboing.net/2012/01/04/paypal-if-you-dont-like-the.html

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Not if you use Paypal with a major credit card.. If paypal won't refund you then you can go to your credit card and get them to refund you.

Are you sure about this? Most credit card companies you have 30 days after your statement to file a complaint. After that they aren't going to help you get your money back. For deposits that are paid months or years in advance I doubt they will or could do anything.

The reason is the credit card company doesn't pay you back, they take the money from the merchant and then send it to you. They aren't about to lose money on a transaction (they actually charge the merchant an extra fee for disputes). There's a finite time period for you to make a dispute and then your just out of luck because the transaction is completed/expired/settled whatever word you want to use.

Merchants can't even send a refund to a card 60 days after the purchase. The transaction is closed then so they can't just 'refund' the card, they would have to send you a check or some other form of refund.

I strongly agree that deposits are a risky proposition. Using a credit card or paypal is usually in violation of the merchants agreement. Almost all credit card processing requires the merchant to ship the product in a certain time period (paypal does most of the back end processing now that they have bought the largest processing businesses over the past few years).

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

And this is the part where you stop responding. We took a risk on a potential startup, wasn't obvious at the time regardless of YOUR wondrous view. Kevin was established in pinball circles @ the time and had heavy hitters vouching for him. Pin players, friends, all thought it was an exciting risk.
    Without risk there is no reward. This time we may have gotten burned. Don't need you throwing gas on a still burning ember.
    Long term I won't be preordering anything again. Hopefully future pin companies give up on putting risks on buyers and take most themselves, like it should be.
    Movin on.

But how can I get all that cash for my imaginary game if I stop responding?

Back on topic though, paypal has its uses. I just wouldn't link it to any bank accounts. I had a pin friend pay me via paypal once. He covered the fees, but it was a pita to get the payment.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

But how can I get all that cash for my imaginary game if I stop responding?
    Back on topic though, paypal has its uses. I just wouldn't link it to any bank accounts. I had a pin friend pay me via paypal once. He covered the fees, but it was a pita to get the payment.

Agreed.

Paypal is HEAVILY (insanely?) slanted towards protecting BUYERS. Except for the folks that think they're pulling as "fast one" on paypal and pay using "paypal gift" - they are potentially screwing themselves- but I have little sympathy for them since they're already trying to scam the system...

Not so much sellers.

I don't hesitate to use if for small online purchases (with AMEX funding as backup).

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballNut:

Are you sure about this? Most credit card companies you have 30 days after your statement to file a complaint. After that they aren't going to help you get your money back. For deposits that are paid months or years in advance I doubt they will or could do anything.
    The reason is the credit card company doesn't pay you back, they take the money from the merchant and then send it to you. They aren't about to lose money on a transaction (they actually charge the merchant an extra fee for disputes). There's a finite time period for you to make a dispute and then your just out of luck because the transaction is completed/expired/settled whatever word you want to use.
    Merchants can't even send a refund to a card 60 days after the purchase. The transaction is closed then so they can't just 'refund' the card, they would have to send you a check or some other form of refund.
    I strongly agree that deposits are a risky proposition. Using a credit card or paypal is usually in violation of the merchants agreement. Almost all credit card processing requires the merchant to ship the product in a certain time period (paypal does most of the back end processing now that they have bought the largest processing businesses over the past few years).

I have had to do it in the past and it worked. Now that has been 5-10 years ago and it wasn't for a pin. But I also know that some people did this when they wanted to get there TBL money back. They got their money back as well, from the credit card company.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

I have had to do it in the past and it worked. Now that has been 5-10 years ago and it wasn't for a pin. But I also know that some people did this when they wanted to get there TBL money back. They got their money back as well, from the credit card company.

60 days. Beyond that, they have no obligation and most credit cards will just say "too late". Depends on what mood the customer service rep is in that day.
    What the SilverballNut said is 100% correct - credit card loses NOTHING, they just take the money back from the original vendor along with a "gee, we're sorry we screwed you so let's screw you a little more" fee (even though the credit card company approved the purchase to begin with).

Now if the charge is an invalid charge due to some thief using your CC number - now that's a different story. I do not believe there is any time limit with that type of charge.

7 months later
    #58 2 years ago

PayPal is a real nice tool and for me,a dutch guy,it is very easy to pay a us citizen,in a second.
    To me it is a miracle.
    But with my AIW purchase,they could not help me,but International Creditcard Services did...because the youngest payment was within 180 days,i got all the older payments to JPOP refunded too.
    I was flabbergasted,i had my money back?
    I could not believe it..ICS saved my ass.
    Do you know how many guys will never hear the end of this from their wives?
    Glad i am off the hook...i will never do this again.
    I had one hero(no two...bob dylan also) and he turned out to be nuts? almost took 6 K from me?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 157.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 11.99
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 229.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside