Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jorro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Stop moving the clock”

• Yes 157 votes
      81%
    • No 37 votes
      19%

(194 votes)

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I don't know about you but I hate moving the clock anybody else out there feel like me jump in

#2 5 years ago

Yeah leave it. But you should add in your poll what people feel we should leave it at, Standard Time or Saving Time.

I live on the extreme west side of the Eastern Time Zone. In the summer it's light out until 11pm. But it is nice that it's light out later in the evenings in the summer.

#3 5 years ago

I don’t like moving it but I like that it is still light out when I get home from work!

#4 5 years ago

Leave it at what it is right now. I like extra daylight in the evening. In the winter it gets dark before 5pm, really sucks, it's all because they move the clock back in fall by an hour.

#5 5 years ago

I used to have the domain: IHateDaylightSavingsTime.com

So yeah, down with daylight savings!

#6 5 years ago

Yeah it seems like just about the time you get used to the change they want to change it again

#7 5 years ago

DST can go to hell!

#8 5 years ago

I hate the idea of year around daylight savings time because I work outside and start my day at 7am.

#9 5 years ago

"vote now" implied there would at least be a pointless online petition.

And I didn't even get that!

#10 5 years ago

"Stop playing with the clock!" Ha... reminded me of that...

I prefer later sunlight than earlier sunlight, especially up north, don't need it light that early.

I'd like to see what year-long DST would be like.

#11 5 years ago

I hate that Bush changed when the time change occurs. Killed Halloween for lots of kids.

And because my clock is hard coded to change time on the OLD date I get to manually set the time on my [automatic] clock four times a year.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"vote now" implied there would at least be a pointless online petition.
    And I didn't even get that!

Just trying to have a little fun sorry you don't see that

#13 5 years ago

Walking to school and bus stops safely is important for children, it is too dark in winter mornings if not for the time change in the fall

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Walking to school and bus stops safely is important for children, it is too dark in winter mornings if not for the time change in the fall

You mean they're still children out there that walk to school wow

#15 5 years ago

I’m fine with it the way it is. Having to change a clock 2 times a year isn’t a big deal.

#16 5 years ago

The only slightly redeeming quality of DST is a good nap on national nap day.

#17 5 years ago

To me the opposite of Daylight Savings Time should be called Daylight Wasting Time.

I just wish they’d settle on one time or the other. I’m presently working on a clock that gets it’s time from a GPS satellite. The problem is all satellites are on GMT / UTC. And they don’t recognize daylight savings time so you have to program in for the clock to check the day and date to see when daylight savings time begins and ends.

It would be much easier to just add or subtract a few hours to get your local time.

#18 5 years ago

I definitely prefer daylight saving time because I like more light in the afternoon and early evenings.
    A bill is presently in the process in the senate but this is not the first time and they usually fail to get anywhere.

#20 5 years ago

I really dislike it when it gets dark before my workday is over. I'd like to keep it like it is now, DST, and never change back.

#21 5 years ago

Hell Yes get rid of this shit... It's the worst. I see no benefit.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:You mean they're still children out there that walk to school wow

Absolutely. I don’t know why you act surprised

#23 5 years ago

I was under the impression that most kids are driven to school by their parents now a days....I stand corrected

#24 5 years ago

I say retire and you won't care what time it is!

#25 5 years ago

I live in Arizona and I really like not having to change my clocks twice a year. There is one downside. In the summer we are three hours behind East Coast time and in the winter we are two hours behind EST/EDT. This wreaks havoc twice a year when live programming is an hour earlier in the summer, compared to winter, and an hour later in the winter, compared to summer, when everyone else changes their clocks.

All in all, I like it exactly the way it is here in Arizona.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

I live in Arizona and I really like not having to change my clocks twice a year. There is one downside. In the summer we are three hours behind East Coast time and in the winter we are two hours behind EST/EDT. This wreaks havoc twice a year when live programming is an hour earlier in the summer, compared to winter, and an hour later in the winter, compared to summer, when everyone else changes their clocks.
    All in all, I like it exactly the way it is here in Arizona.

Yup!! Liking AZ clocks also. Don’t have to change shit haha.

#27 5 years ago

Who hates fall back though? An extra hour of sleep?! Heck yes!!! I say, fall back every year. But ditch the spring fwd. every year will be a little different and every 24 years we’ll come full circle.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Who hates fall back though? An extra hour of sleep?! Heck yes!!! I say, fall back every year. But ditch the spring fwd. every year will be a little different and every 24 years we’ll come full circle.

I don't like it when I'm working nightshift. Turns a 12 hour shift into a 13 hour shift

#29 5 years ago

Everyone dislikes the time change, don’t wanna do it. But most don’t realize that we don’t change the clock back in The winter to have more light at night. We change the clock forward for the summer so that the sunrise isn’t at 4am! This gives us more daylight In The evening.

Most people that want to stop the change would prefer us to stay on summer time (dst) not winter time like the rest of the world. But that would probably make it more complicated for the world.

I prefer summer time

#30 5 years ago

It would be easier just to leave the clocks alone. Makes no difference for me really.
    What bothers me is everyone calling it Daylight "Savings" time.
    NO!....its Daylight Saving Time
    No 's' on the end.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

It would be easier just to leave the clocks alone. Makes no difference for me really.
    What bothers me is everyone calling it Daylight "Savings" time.
    NO!....its Dayling Saving Time
    No 's' on the end.

Wow, not even daylight, just dayling. I never knew!

Seriously though, let's just do like the rest of the world, for once.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Seriously though, let's just do like the rest of the world, for once.

I agree with this for the most part, although the farther away from the equator that you are the more it matters. If we didn’t change the time here in the summer, then sunrise in June will be about 4:45am. Not the much more reasonable time of 5:45. Some provinces don’t change the clock, but the population is pretty small in those provinces.

The farther south you go, the less it make a difference

#33 5 years ago

"Falling back" is easy, we get the extra hour of sleep. So this really is all about the 1 time a year we have to move forward, which takes a few days to adjust.

In return we get to make sure our kids go to school with more sun in the winter, and we get later sunsets in the summer.

I suppose for southern states like AZ, they get a ton of sunshine as-is so it doesn't matter but that isn't the case for colder climates.

We all travel at times, I would guess? So we all have to adjust to clock changes at other times.

#34 5 years ago

Momentum is growing for the idea of implementing DST permanently in the U.S.

I am all for that idea, if only to stop facepalming myself whenever someone says Daylight "Savings" Time.

It's "Saving." There is no accumulation, or "savings."

We simply "save" an hour of daylight from the early morning and move it to the end of each day.

I guess it was too much work to say Daylight Redistribution Time?

#35 5 years ago

Here in Florida, Id like the Sun to Set, year round at 8 PM.
    I dont care what time the sun rises, just that when people come home in the winter, they have sunshine, and cool
    weather to enjoy, and the Summer is the same.

#36 5 years ago

I'm an air charter manager for the Big 3, among others, and we fly freight in and out of Mexico daily - THEIR daylight saving time doesn't start until April 7th. What a mess when trying to coordinate getting an aircraft positioned at the right time over multiple time zones, some of which are on DST and some that aren't. We usually communicate in Zulu (Greenwich Mean) time only.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I dont care what time the sun rises, just that when people come home in the winter, they have sunshine, and cool

So basically you want to be on Pacific Standard Time in the winter. Maybe even Alaska Time? I don't think that will work out for the commercial & retail business world in Florida.

#38 5 years ago

California has voted to ditch PST and stay with DST!! All you have to do is change school time up 1 hour!!! Is that so hard???

#39 5 years ago

I think many who want to move it fail to realize how useful the extra daylight is in the summer. IMO the adjustment is minor compared to the gain. If it gets changed, everyone will moan about how early its bright out and how they lose sleep because the light outside wakes them too early before they go to work.

I like my usable daylight later, so I can do more with it, vs wasted up front while I'm sleeping. Summers already have more light, extend that to AM for what? I'm not seeing how that is better.

If you need an example consider just one chore, mowing the lawn. If you get off at 6PM your not home in time to mow before dark without day light savings time. Instead your getting up early and starting your day getting that work done. While the grass is wet and some of your neighbors are sleeping?

#40 5 years ago

There are two states that I know of Arizona in Hawaii that do not change the clocks and their children seem to get to school just fine dark or not.

And if you think about it the Suns going to rise and set like it always has it doesn't really care what time of day it is. Time is just a man-made thing anyway

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Except for the "cool" part. Summer's are not cool in Florida!!

#42 5 years ago

I love DST and would love it if we made it permanent. I absolutely despise only seeing the sun on my ride to work then driving home in total darkness. The earlier sunset causes seasonal depression for countless Americans. I understand that it does not work for Arizona but let's be honest here... Arizona is only habitable because of modern developments like air conditioning and a sophisticated system of reservoirs and canals. Arizona's circumstances are not typical to the rest of the country and our national clock should not be determined by their decisions.

#43 5 years ago

One of the things I like about it getting dark earlier is i dont feel so guilty about plopping down in front of the tv at 6pm for the night. I mean, its dark out, what the hell else am I gonna do?

#44 5 years ago

I like it the other way. I frikkin' HATE waking up before dawn everyday.

#46 5 years ago

How about China, the WHOLE country, East to West, (3,123 miles wide), has only one time zone...

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheMickster:

How about China, the WHOLE country, East to West, (3,123 miles wide), has only one time zone...

Sounds like a great place to live.....

#48 5 years ago

Next year in the spring we should set it ahead 2 hours and just leave it like that. No more moving back or forward afterwards.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I hate that Bush changed when the time change occurs. Killed Halloween for lots of kids.
    And because my clock is hard coded to change time on the OLD date I get to manually set the time on my [automatic] clock four times a year.

Dude, how old is your clock?

#50 5 years ago

If it's not such a big deal then why do we have to do it twice a year

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stop-moving-the-clock?hl=davijc02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.