Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lulz.png
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

remember in school when the teacher told everyone that they were going to drop your lowest score and the whole class got excited? well that's because you were only competing against yourself to get the highest grade possible, your grade being an average of your scores over that grading period. we all know how averages are formulated therefore it requires no explanation as to why dropping the lowest score is beneficial in this situation.

jump to pinball league, where you're competing against others in a total points system. the dropping of scores is just a subtraction of your total points. pretty detrimental if your goal is to have the highest total points!!

its basically punishing people who show up every week and perform well while benefiting those who miss one or multiple weeks and don't perform as well. im watching a league right now in which the first place player won every night and as a result is facing a points deduction of over 50 points, while the second place player (a close second every night they played) is getting zero points deducted due to intentionally skipping the last two weeks of play. as a result, first and second place switched at the end of the regular season. that's right, someone who played less pinball and had lower scores throughout the season has a higher ranking than someone who played more pinball and outperformed everyone every night.

i wish i could say this situation was unique, but alas, the whole "dropping scores" has been an issue with EVERY SINGLE league i have ever been apart of or been a witness to. of course if your league scores award the highest points average you can ignore this rant, but if you play for total points GET WITH THE PROGRAM! if you miss a week, tough break. if you play poorly one week, tough break. that's all there is to it.

rant over.

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

that's right, someone who played less pinball and had lower scores throughout the season has a higher ranking than someone who played more pinball and outperformed everyone every night.

I play in a league where we drop the lowest score each season. If someone "outperformed everyone every night," he will win regardless of how many scores are dropped or kept. Can you show us the math? It's pretty difficult to win every night and finish second.

#3 9 years ago

remember in school when the teacher told everyone that they were going to drop your lowest score and the whole class got excited? well that's because you were only competing against yourself to get the highest grade possible, your grade being an average of your scores over that grading period. we all know how averages are formulated therefore it requires no explanation as to why dropping the lowest score is beneficial in this situation.
    jump to pinball league, where you're competing against others in a total points system. the dropping of scores is just a subtraction of your total points. pretty detrimental if your goal is to have the highest total points!!
    its basically punishing people who show up every week and perform well while benefiting those who miss one or multiple weeks and don't perform as well. im watching a league right now in which the first place player won every night and as a result is facing a points deduction of over 50 points, while the second place player (a close second every night they played) is getting zero points deducted due to intentionally skipping the last two weeks of play. as a result, first and second place switched at the end of the regular season. that's right, someone who played less pinball and had lower scores throughout the season has a higher ranking than someone who played more pinball and outperformed everyone every night.
    i wish i could say this situation was unique, but alas, the whole "dropping scores" has been an issue with EVERY SINGLE league i have ever been apart of or been a witness to. of course if your league scores award the highest points average you can ignore this rant, but if you play for total points GET WITH THE PROGRAM! if you miss a week, tough break. if you play poorly one week, tough break. that's all there is to it.
    rant over.

Wouldn't missing those 2 weeks give them 0 for each one or at best the last place score? that would seem to be a massive drop from anything he would have scored if they were in second every other time. If one guys gets 50 every week for 10 weeks with a forced 50 dropped, and another get gets 49 for 9 weeks and a dropped zero for week 10 guy one has 450 guy two has 441. if guy 2 misses 2x then hes all the way down to 392. I don't see the issue.

#4 9 years ago

Why would a league seed based on total points rather than average?

#5 9 years ago

not sure who OP is, but that league used to hand out points that scaled based on machine scores.

I remember JM was used once in that league with the scaling in place and one guy figured out the spinner millions exploit and nobody else knew anything about it, so he got 100 points with 16 billion and 2nd place got 3 points with like 300M.

#6 9 years ago

and stainedundies, if you are unsatisfied with watching a league, you can _play_ in the Bat City Pinball League which is starting up again in April and doesn't have the issues you are experiencing and then some.

#7 9 years ago

Agree, dropping your worst weeks points is a bad idea. We started our league that way, mainly due to that's how it worked in the SCCA autocrossing that I did for many years. We did away with that after only 1 or 2 seasons. In pinball it is almost always a bad idea to take away any points that a player earns. Of course you also get the old intentional no show near the end of the season because they know they will not lose anything. We use the FSPA model which allows for pre-plays, so you can score and compete even if you are not physically there. We allow up to 3 weeks to be pre-played in a 10 week season.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from bitCurrier:

and stainedundies, if you are unsatisfied with watching a league, you can play_ in the Bat City Pinball League which is starting up again in April and doesn't have the issues you are experiencing and then some.

sup brian, its ray. i play in every league i can and bite the bullet with whatever disagreements i have with the format (i know the hard way that you're absolutely never going to please everyone). however the league i am referring to is the current womens only league at pinballz. i had thought about puttin on some make up and doin the twin sister so i could play but decided against it. i know it goes without saying that everything about that place is beyond hope, thats why this is strictly a rant. i could go on until my blood boils about other things about their format that are just absolute nonsense.

#9 9 years ago

ok 65B.. ahh memories.
    lulz.pnglulz.png

#10 9 years ago

ha oh hey ray

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

If you "outperformed everyone every night," you will win regardless of how many scores are dropped or kept.

no, because you played better than everyone during the season does not guarantee you will win the playoffs or the finals.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

In pinball it is almost always a bad idea to take away any points that a player earns. Of course you also get the old intentional no show near the end of the season because they know they will not lose anything.

finally, someone gets it!

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Why would a league seed based on total points rather than average?

there is absolutely nothing correct about the way this league is being run.

#13 9 years ago

no, because you played better than everyone during the season does not guarantee you will win the playoffs or the finals.

I'm talking about the regular season. Are you saying the person who won the regular season didn't win finals? That happens almost every year in our league!

If the regular season winner is guaranteed to win the playoffs, why have playoffs?

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I'm talking about the regular season. Are you saying the person who won the regular season didn't win finals? That happens almost every year in our league!

If the regular season winner is guaranteed to win the playoffs, why have playoffs

i dont think you know whats going on, re read the original post and try again please.

#15 9 years ago

i dont think you know whats going on, re read the original post and try again please.

You said that someone won every night and finished second due to dropped scores. Show us the math.

You brought up playoffs, not me.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You said that someone who won every night finished second due to dropped scores. That's mathematically impossible. Show us the numbers.

Yeah, for that to be possible - wouldn't that mean the person with the most points actually had a lower average than the person in second?

#17 9 years ago

im watching a league right now in which the first place player won every night and as a result is facing a points deduction of over 50 points, while the second place player (a close second every night they played) is getting zero points deducted due to intentionally skipping the last two weeks of play. as a result, first and second place switched at the end of the regular season.

How? What moon math is this?

#18 9 years ago

This makes no sense. If both those players dropped their two lowest weeks, and player one won every night, then they would be in first still. Are you sure you understand the standings after the regular season?

#19 9 years ago

The drop week is also useful if someone can't make one week out of the season. Also good for one of "those" nights Overall has worked well in the league I am in.

#20 9 years ago

that's right, someone who played less pinball and had lower scores throughout the season has a higher ranking than someone who played more pinball and outperformed everyone every night.

Don't forget to check Pinballz's spreadsheet they're using for computing standings. They've been known to be occasionally (cough cough) in error.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This makes no sense. If both those players dropped their two lowest weeks, and player one won every night, then they would be in first still. Are you sure you understand the standings after the regular season?

Agreed. I don't see how the OP's situation is mathematically possible.
    Even in the flawed system of game score point scaling.

Quoted from leesparts:

The drop week is also useful if someone can't make one week out of the season. Also good for one of "those" nights Overall has worked well in the league I am in.

I agree on this, also. It's an attempt to increase league participation and acknowledging that there are sometimes planned or unplanned absences. The other solution to this is what Brian is doing for Bat City league (similar to FSPA) in allowing pre-plays with other league player/official present when you know you're going to be absent.

The benefit to Player 1 that showed up every league meeting vs Player 2 who missed X weeks (when you're allowed to drop X weeks) is that Player 1 has more chances to improve their position -- Player 2 is foregoing those opportunities. Typically, one player won't be in first place for each week played.

#22 9 years ago

1. playing pinball is good, people should be rewarded for playing it.
    2. player X shows up every week and scores 50 every single week.
    3. player Y scores 50 every week but decides to skip the last week.
    4. i understand the extreme unlikeliness of two players being identical in ability and scoring just
    picture it for the sake of this example.
    5. after seven weeks of play player X and Y are tied with 350 points each.
    6. player X scores 50 during week eight, while player Y stays home.
    7. lowest scores are dropped.
    8. player X gets 50 points removed player Y gets 0 removed.
    9. Both players have a total of 350 points. even though one of them showed up every week and
    performed consistently every week and one of them intentionally skipped playing.
    10. 50 points subtracted=bad, 0 points subtracted=good.
    11. i get the unlikeliness of this situation, but i dont have access to the scores of this league so i just
    made it up. yes the example results in a tie, but the point is still the same.
    12. if you dont understand why a person with 400 total points shouldnt end up tied with someone who
    had 350 total points please remind me to never play in your league.
    13. yes, there are a million reasons why someone would need to miss pinball league, but that is
    besides the point.
    14. playing pinball is good and people should be rewarded for doing it.
    15. end second rant.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Don't forget to check Pinballz's spreadsheet they're using for computing standings. They've been known to be occasionally (cough cough) in error.

theres been multiple corrections every week. thats another can of worms im not goin anywhere near.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

It's an attempt to increase league participation and acknowledging that there are sometimes planned or unplanned absences. The other solution to this is what Brian is doing for Bat City league (similar to FSPA) in allowing pre-plays with other league player/official present when you know you're going to be absent.

Don't care for pre-plays but whatever...sometimes it's gotta happen.
    One of my leagues We have a % deduction for weeks missed. First missed week 80% of your tournament night average. Second missed is 60% etc etc

EDIT:

9. Both players have a total of 350 points. even though one of them showed up every week and
    performed consistently every week and one of them intentionally skipped playing.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Get one week throw away...not the end of the world.

#25 9 years ago

You have to allow for at least one throw away for the people planning on making every league, but having to miss one or two due to other commitments. Most people in these leagues have families, day jobs, etc. Shit comes up, you shouldn't be penalized for it. If one player wants to just not play on purpose, that is their choice. They are missing out in my opinion, because skipping a week guarantees that your position will not improve. Showing up to league can only help you.

#26 9 years ago

4. i understand the extreme unlikeliness of two players being identical in ability and scoring just
    11. i get the unlikeliness of this situation, but i dont have access to the scores of this league so i just
    12. if you dont understand why a person with 400 total points shouldnt end up tied with someone who
    13. yes, there are a million reasons why someone would need to miss pinball league, but that is
    besides the point.
    15. end second rant.

in most any case the tiebreaker would be rounds played or best dropped score, so the guy who showed should still be the winner.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from leesparts:

This was the biggest feedback I got after the first year in Tucson. Many players said that they felt stressed towards the end because if they missed one event they were basically out of the running.

When I started things, the league I referenced gave a % of average score based on number of misses. This wasn't something I was ready to set up in my system. So last year was pretty intense.

In the off-season I took a poll and we are now dropping the lowest score. If that is a 0 because you missed, not a huge deal. The benefit is still there for making it to every event because in the end your lowest score will be dropped.

I've never done the math, but have observed in several league and monthly events that if you finish second in every machine, you have a very good change of winning that event. Scoring methods will affect this of course, but in a straight linear scoring event, if you finish second in everything and Keith Elwin is not there, you are going to win. The reasoning is that being consistent is one thing and being good is another. Being consistantly good through a 10-machine linear event is pretty tough.

#28 9 years ago

Ok so for our league in az we play 10 months out of the year and get to drop our lowest score of the year. We only play once a month and odds are that people will have to miss a week for vacation, injury or whatever.

Now should the whole year of the league be lost because u couldnt make it to one event a year? No it shouldnt.

If you miss two weeks your second missed score is like 80% of your average and gets lower and lower the more you miss.

Pre-plays are a bad idea all together. I know some of my machines play different from day to day. One day it is fine and the next day a switch is not working 100% and that could be a huge difference on the scores. Whereas if you are all playing at aprrox the same time u have a much more likely chance of having a even playing field between everyone.

#29 9 years ago

Ability to improve upon your 50-point average by attending all events = good. Player X took advantage of this. Unfortunately, their play didn't improve, so they're still at 50-point average.

Player Y choosing or having to miss a session and miss a chance to improve their 50-point average = bad. They got to play less pinball.

But having a league that is flexible to accommodate crap/life happening = good.
    (see dessertT1's comments as well)

#30 9 years ago

Cincy league doesn't drop the lowest score.. hell, we drop the TWO lowest scores. 8 sessions, six count. Much less stressfull for people when they don't have to worry about hitting every round. For the people who show up to all sessions, this gives them the luxury of dumping their two worst days. For those who can't make all sessions, they drop the resulting zeros but at least are still in the running.

I fail to see the strategy of staying home on the last session if you've played all prior sessions. At worst, you score is bad and gets dropped, just like the zero you'd take for staying home. At best, you have your best session and can dump an earlier session and improve ranking.

I am not familiar with the weighted scores but from what I see I do not like it. We use bonus points (4-2-1-0 with two bonus, or 3-2-0 with one bonus) to reward skunkings, but that's about it.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I fail to see the strategy of staying home on the last session if you've played all prior sessions.

There is a chance you can lose spots but not gain any...really only counts for seeding etc

Although you sound like a super fun person to be in a league with , You seem to dislike the way every league you are in is run. I would advise you to stop playing in them, learn to deal with it, or start you're own league.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Now should the whole year of the league be lost because u couldnt make it to one event a year? No it shouldnt.

gonna have to disagree. of course you bring up an interesting variable by having a league that is once a month all year rather than once a week for a month or so, but still.

Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Pre-plays are a bad idea all together.

agree 100%. that and make up plays. the most important variable in leagues is how you perform in front of others considering that their watching and waiting for their chance. take that away, and its just playin by yourself

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

start you're own league.

i was the host of one recently, and the amount of bitching about my format being "too strict" was just overwhelming. never again. week one i was the commissioner: a fun loving dude who wanted nothing more than for every one to be happy playing pinball. by week 8 i was the dictator: ready to bring down the hammer on anyone who questioned why we were playing gorgar. since everyone in the league was a good person and my attitude was souring, i decided hosting was not the route for me.

#34 9 years ago

i was the host of one recently, and the amount of bitching about my format being "too strict" was just overwhelming.

At some point you might have to accept the problem may be with you.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

At some point you might have to accept the problem may be with you.

did you read the whole post? i realized that i was the problem and therefore changed my stance on being a host.

#36 9 years ago

besides the point.
    15. end second rant.

In your example, you lost a spot by dropping a week to someone who did not drop. That means you were ahead *even when you had both played the same number of weeks*.

After 7 weeks -

You: 350 points
    Them: 349 points

Your final week: 10 points. You drop the 10 points and are still ahead.

You're complaining that the person in first is dropping to second. The only way that is mathematically possible is if the player in first has a *lower average* than the player in second. In which case, you had a lower average - the other player was better than you.

#37 9 years ago

If a player with a higher *average* nightly score, and a higher *total* score is losing a spot by dropping a night, then someone running your league has screwed up the math.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

If a player with a higher *average* nightly score, and a higher *total* score is losing a spot by dropping a night, then someone running your league has screwed up the math.

once again, this league is total points not average.

#39 9 years ago

Then it is not possible, in any scenario, for Player one to lose the number one spot

#42 9 years ago

I can assure you, I understand the exact scenario you've described. I can also assure you, it's mathematically impossible.

In the end, you're both being judged by the same number of total scores correct? 7 scores.

If the point total of their best 7 scores (out of 7) is higher than your point total from your best 7 scores (out of 9), then *by definition*, they have a better average than you. Which, personally, I would define as "having played better than you". If you include your 8th or 9th score, which are both lower, then your average will drop further.

Again: I understand your league is based on points.

If player 2 was not already ahead in total points at the point in the season in which they intentionally stopped coming, then there is no way for them to jump ahead.

#43 9 years ago

You're looking at it from the perspective of a top player. What about those poor shmoes who are mediocre players and always get bumped off quickly by the top players?

Once our league added a 2 score season drop, the average players were a lot happier come playoff time because winning wasn't a total impossibility.

That said, your rant still doesn't make any sense. *no one* ever has a perfect season, scoring max points at every league night. But for the sake of argument, let's say you have a 10-week season, and player 1 gets 16 points (I'm used to a 1-4 scoring) for every league night. Your argument is that player 2 could also get the same 16 points a night.

Every league I've seen, though, has group sorting so that the two 16-pointers would end up in the same group the next league night, so it would be *impossible* for both to get 16 points.

#44 9 years ago

The way the leagues are run that I am in..."worse" players *do* jump ahead of "better" players based on dropped nights. However, it's because their 8 best scores after dropping end up totaling higher than the 8 best of the player who didn't drop.

I agree - it's annoying.

The point is to incentivize attendance, which it does. The only way that system can dis-incentivize attendance is if someone is tallying incorrectly.

#45 9 years ago

It just depends on the kind of league you want to run.

Dropping the lowest score is a friendly mostly-competitive way to deal with IRL issues where pinball isn't the highest priority for most people. I honestly have no idea why someone would whine about that unless they were just one of the most hyper-competitive fighters I've ever met.

In the dropping-the-lowest score scenario, there is literally no reason to not show up unless you have a problem. It is not to your advantage, because you can beat your lowest score and improve your overall standings. If you don't beat your lowest score, no harm, no foul.

In a scenario like the league I'm in, if you miss, you get 80% of your average. This is a ridiculous idea that actively encourages non-participation in the last league of the season, and has pretty much every year it's been around.

So, why you're complaining about something slightly more flexible to non-robots, I'm not really sure.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

The way the leagues are run that I am in..."worse" players *do* jump ahead of "better" players based on dropped nights

so you admit that this system is beneficial to worse players and detrimental to better players and are arguing with me as to whether or not that system is fair?

nope, there is no logic to it... back to the wall

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

In a scenario like the league I'm in, if you miss, you get 80% of your average. This is a ridiculous idea that actively encourages non-participation in the last league of the season, and has pretty much every year it's been around.

Does your league group players by ability each night? If so, that's even crazier...if you end up seeded in a tough group - just skip and you'll end up with more points than you probably would have otherwise.

#48 9 years ago

so you admit that this system is beneficial to worse players and detrimental to better players and are arguing with me as to whether or not that system is fair?

Yes and no. The system gives a small boost for attendance - dropping your lowest score(s). You, however, are describing the mathematically impossible situation that is rewarding non-attendance.

im watching a league right now in which the first place player won every night and as a result is facing a points deduction of over 50 points, while the second place player (a close second every night they played) is getting zero points deducted due to intentionally skipping the last two weeks of play

Since it's been established (and agreed upon by others in this thread) that the situation above is mathematically impossible - it seems like you just made up this untrue example to prove your point.

I don't see how you're going to get sympathy from anyone here for your fabricated and impossible situation.

Which is a shame, because I've been in a league where I felt screwed by people getting to drop weeks when I didn't - and I felt it made the final standings less accurate. So, I probably would have agreed with you.

Maybe I'll start another thread based on facts.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Ok so for our league in az we play 10 months out of the year and get to drop our lowest score of the year. We only play once a month and odds are that people will have to miss a week for vacation, injury or whatever.
    If you miss two weeks your second missed score is like 80% of your average and gets lower and lower the more you miss.
    Pre-plays are a bad idea all together. I know some of my machines play different from day to day. One day it is fine and the next day a switch is not working 100% and that could be a huge difference on the scores. Whereas if you are all playing at aprrox the same time u have a much more likely chance of having a even playing field between everyone.

I was concerned about preplays for that reason. I've been test-driving the FSPA rules with some changes that I thought were needed but I'm going to throw out my changes.
    Only two players submitted preplays. 3 players should have submitted preplays but didn't and received zeroes.
    One player was not happy with their preplay scores and chose to play the next week instead and crushed it. Had her preplay scores been used she would not have done well.
    The other player's preplay scores were used as fodder for the other players in their group to target and he lost that group that week and moved down one ladder. The next week that they missed the scores were unattainable for those in that ladder grouping and his preplays won out and he went back to the top ladder.

Preplays seem like a non-stressful way to keep participation at 100% and there should be a limit on how many can be used.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

it seems like you just made up this untrue example to prove your point.

how many times in this thread have i said that i am not in this particular league and therefore dont have access to the scores, and therefore made up the math to prove my point? eight million? i even took the time to repost my point with the same hypothetical scoring as before.

maybe you should start a new thread based on reading all the way through posts, rather than burying your head in the sand when someone calls your format into question. you clearly agree that the dropping scores format is unfair to better performing players, so your desire to argue will be taken as just that: you want to argue, therefore your going to.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stop-dropping-scores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.