(Topic ID: 239440)

Stop calling it restored when it's not

By timab2000

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    100_5005 (resized).JPG
    Rainbow.gif
    B9D2E74A-24B8-4E3A-AD00-902B3B18BD6B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

I just restored my lunch in the bathroom.

It looks beat to crap....

#5 5 years ago

Sorry....couldn't resist for some reason today

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Well, the ten cent version of the story is as follows:
    I drove 6 hours to pick up the pin with my brother. As stated its my first pin. New to the hobby, but I did a lot of research, watched videos, and was browsing online for many months for what pin to buy. With all that being said I still knew nothing, and I slightly overpaid to boot. Especially since his pin was listed on both ebay and pinside and was cheaper on pinside, but i foolishly and accidentally paid the higher ebay cost. Oh, well. They have buyer protections, and more fees. So not really a big deal. Just a minor grump.
    While testing the machine(and this was a machine I knew the rules really well on) I had only one more shot to go on the captive ball shot to get an extra ball. Well I hit a different shot which was nowhere near the captive ball, and then I hear and see the EXTRA BALL animation. I commented about that being strange and not hitting the shot. But, perhaps there was another way for that shot to register.
    Turns out chip on the mpu board was already showing tell tale signs of not being able to work properly. An then over the next few(and I mean few) months of my ownership, it got worse and worse with the chip misreading and firing random switches and not the ones I actually triggered, until finally the whole thing just stopped working.
    If I would have done my research I would have known breakshot's and capcoms are rare machines. I did know the rare part, but I still thought, hey its technology, can't be hard to fix, because someone somewhere should be able to fix it. Turns out these chips for the MPU board are very rare, and very costly. So that puts a damper on me wanting to even get it fixed. Even though I love the game...
    Not a horribly interesting story. But, I did catch that fault. But, I wasn't smart enough to realize what had happened. A learning experience, but a costly one.
    The seller was a nice guy, and I don't think he knew what was going on. No ill will or malice to him. And today I still wish him the best. He even was the one who verified me for pinside.

Sounds like a paperweight. Throw it out before trash man wont even take it!

#64 5 years ago

May I ask what this unobtanium chip is that is causing a good condition machine to be for parts?

Maybe there is some specific super rare part I am unaware of?

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Trust me dude. There are only a handful of people who fix capcom boards. Spoke to the guy, he had like 2. And I know of one that got sent to him for repair. So yeah... It is a rare chip...
    I did have a guy from CGC tell me he might know of a guy who could fix it... Haven't heard back from the guy at CGC, and I doubt I will, and I don't want to bother him even though I have his number.

Well, if you spend all the money to buy a second machine, maybe you will decide to try selling the first one to another pinsider to repair or something instead of making there be one less of a game you said is already rare.

Best wishes on geting it repaired. Hope it works out.

Maybe try posting a thread on pinside asking for repair help/services.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I've done so. And that is the extent of the help that I got.
    I also hired a professional pinball tech to initially repair it, and he couldn't. Hence the pinside post.
    As I said. I probably will go the route of buying another breakshot. And then keep the best pieces of it.
    My only issue with selling my machine.
    I really don't want to rip any one off. And even being open and telling the person about the issue. I just still don't like the idea of selling a non working machine to someone. Especially since I think 700-1,100 is still a fair asking price for it. Cab is in good shape. Mechs are all working, and the translite is mint.
    My hope... Is that someday a replacement board will be easily available. And that is why I haven't tossed it, or sold it. And I'm not going to toss it. I'd store it in my basement before I would ever do that.
    Trust me. I like to preserve these games too. Which is a minor reason why I didn't sell. Because, I could sell it and recoup some of my money back. But, then the person who bought it from me, might just junk it. And i'd hate for that to happen.

With a fair price knowing it has some issues, and you being so upfront about problems...lots of people (myself included) love to buy projects to work on. As long as they know that it needs work, I think you would do fine selling it to the right person, no problem.

I think the open honesty of problems it may have vs what has been fixed/redone ties in to this thread a little; In the sense that if you were claiming it was "mostly restored" or something and not disclosing details, that could be a problem. But you aren't claiming that... you are being more concerned the other way around and not wanting to over state the condition of machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stop-calling-it-restored-when-it-s-not?tu=pacmanretro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.