(Topic ID: 14181)

Stoopidest Mauds

By EEE

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

399994_2837336211629_1205944889_324849.jpg
    stopliking.jpg
    HnM.jpg
    012.JPG
    MV5BMTg3NjU1MjM5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMD.jpg
    bop_and_mousin.jpg
    highscore.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!owE8VjBMEH+BPRstHUuCg~~60_57.jpg
    img_9303.jpg
    BDK_Topper.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 12 years ago

My vote, LEDs. Spending 100s of dollars to make it more difficult to follow the ball. Ummm...okay. If anything I would take that money and put it towards PDI or Invisiglass as they enhance playability not detract from it.

#52 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

TaylorVA said:Spending 100s of dollars to make it more difficult to follow the ball. Ummm...okay.
    Most people do not suffer from strobing like you and have no problems following the ball.
    Action figures are pretty weak sauce. But people own the game and can do whatever they want.

Let me just clarify that this is MY opinion. The strobing doesn't bother me, it is the look of LEDs and how bright they are. Between incandescents and LEDs I find it much easier to follow the ball with incandescents.

#75 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

TaylorVA said:TheLaw said:TaylorVA said:Spending 100s of dollars to make it more difficult to follow the ball. Ummm...okay.
    Most people do not suffer from strobing like you and have no problems following the ball.
    Action figures are pretty weak sauce. But people own the game and can do whatever they want.
    Let me just clarify that this is MY opinion. The strobing doesn't bother me, it is the look of LEDs and how bright they are. Between incandescents and LEDs I find it much easier to follow the ball with incandescents.

If you are not bothered by "strobing" with LEDs, then how can the ball being lit brighter make it more difficult for you to follow the ball? I would think it would be *easier*.

My experience has been that when the ball travels over an LEDed insert the brightness of the LED makes the ball harder to follow. I played an AFM LEDed and was near TA so obviously a lot of inserts were lit. The game was decently fast and it was painful to look at the playfield. There is a crispness to an incandescent that is simply better for pinball, IMO of course, and an LED wanes out the pin making it harder to watch the ball.

Look, this was a thread about peoples opinions about mods. I hate LEDs, you love them? Great. I was just expressing my opinion about how utterly horrible LEDs affect the playability of pins. People want to throw their money away with this crap more power to them.

#86 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

TaylorVA said:My experience has been that when the ball travels over an LEDed insert the brightness of the LED makes the ball harder to follow. I played an AFM LEDed and was near TA so obviously a lot of inserts were lit. The game was decently fast and it was painful to look at the playfield. There is a crispness to an incandescent that is simply better for pinball, IMO of course, and an LED wanes out the pin making it harder to watch the ball.
    Look, this was a thread about peoples opinions about mods. I hate LEDs, you love them? Great. I was just expressing my opinion about how utterly horrible LEDs affect the playability of pins. People want to throw their money away with this crap more power to them.
    Taylor, I have no problem at all with your opinion on this issue. Remember, I am one who does see strobe effect with certain LEDs if they are too bright, and I first experienced it in a bad way on the very pin that you give an example with too: AFM.
    But it was the strobe effect that drove me crazy, not the brightness itself. The ball looked like it was "pulsing" as it moved across the playfield. This was caused by the LEDs in the inserts, just as you mention. It wasn't the GI. So I wonder if it isn't more the strobe effect that you were experiencing rather than just the brightness of the bulbs?

My "opinion" rant wasn't directed at you just those that take others opinions personally.

I may have played games with the strobing and that was the issue but it seems by people's description that it was something else. I frankly try to avoid them as I tend to get a headache from them.

I am sure there are LEDs that simulate incandescents but then I get back to my point of them being a waste of money. As far as making colorful effects, not my thing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylorva.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stoopidest-mauds?tu=taylorva and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.