(Topic ID: 14181)

Stoopidest Mauds

By EEE

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

399994_2837336211629_1205944889_324849.jpg
    stopliking.jpg
    HnM.jpg
    012.JPG
    MV5BMTg3NjU1MjM5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMD.jpg
    bop_and_mousin.jpg
    highscore.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!owE8VjBMEH+BPRstHUuCg~~60_57.jpg
    img_9303.jpg
    BDK_Topper.JPG
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 12 years ago

My vote is for mirror blades.

They are expensive and once installed, they are sure to get scratched that is unless you never lift the playfield.

#2 12 years ago

I don't see why they would. I have seen various decals installed and as long as you install felt on the sides of the pf they don't get scratched.

I wanna say action figures/models as toppers. Seriously it looks like a toy, because it is a toy.

#3 12 years ago

To each there own, but i think lots of pinsiders seem to mod over board. Makes the games look like crap. Some mods are cool. But i think allot of new to the hobby people go overboard. Then expect when they sell it matters. Leds ad nothing to resale as do most other mods.

Like i said to each there own but it seems lots of guys turn there pins into pimptastic Hondas with stickers and people yelling Vtech YOOOOOOO!

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Like i said to each there own but it seems lots of guys turn there pins into pimptastic Hondas with stickers and people yelling Vtech YOOOOOOO!

And a b*tchin spoiler 4ft tall!!!!!!!!

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

AkumaZeto said:Like i said to each there own but it seems lots of guys turn there pins into pimptastic Hondas with stickers and people yelling Vtech YOOOOOOO!
    And a b*tchin spoiler 4ft tall!!!!!!!!

That's to keep that civic planted when vtech changes the cam profile.... FWD and HP =FAIL! TRQ Steer is a bitch.

#6 12 years ago

You mean you didn't you know? Toppers make the ball move faster

#7 12 years ago

I have them; they are much better than a decal... If you take the time to lift it centered it is no biggie. Felt can help if you can't be bothered to use caution. Even if there are micro scratches, they can be buffed out. For the small amount of negatives it's worth it for the expanded view.

#8 12 years ago

Im a big fan of mirror blades, throw them in most of my games and it really makes it pop. Personally not a big fan of the TV mods for the different games

#9 12 years ago

My vote, LEDs. Spending 100s of dollars to make it more difficult to follow the ball. Ummm...okay. If anything I would take that money and put it towards PDI or Invisiglass as they enhance playability not detract from it.

#10 12 years ago

BDK_Topper.JPGBDK_Topper.JPG

Enough said.

#11 12 years ago

The mod that I never understood or disliked the most are the decals that people put on the inside of the cabinet where mirror blades usually go, to me makes the whole game too busy and a big distraction, the decals for TOTAN are so bright they hurt my eyes. To me the mirror blades would be a better choice.

img_9303.jpgimg_9303.jpg

#12 12 years ago

Ha! I saw that BDK in person a few weeks back, and it isn't any better. So stupid.

#13 12 years ago

Ha! I saw that BDK in person a few weeks back, and it isn't any better. So stupid.

This one is just as bad.

$(KGrHqR,!owE8VjBMEH+BPRstHUuCg~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqR,!owE8VjBMEH+BPRstHUuCg~~60_57.jpg

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Enough said.

hahaha! He's Staring at me!!!!

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

the decals for TOTAN are so bright they hurt my eyes.

+1 I'd rather have gold decals for TOTAN.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

+1 I'd rather have gold decals for TOTAN.

I'd rather have Gold

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Enough said.

Attachments BDK_Topper.JPG (34.2 KB, 0 downloads) 32 minutes old

That's hilarious!

#18 12 years ago

I put the mirror blades on my TOTAN and it looks awesome!

#19 12 years ago

Anyone have mirror blades for a 92' Williams or Stern machine? I need dimensions so I may have my friend make them for me. I could probably make a template based off each machine. I like the felt idea along the pf edge. Thanks!

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Spending 100s of dollars to make it more difficult to follow the ball. Ummm...okay.

Most people do not suffer from strobing like you and have no problems following the ball.

Action figures are pretty weak sauce. But people own the game and can do whatever they want.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Enough said.

Attachments BDK_Topper.JPG (34.2 KB, 0 downloads) 58 minutes old

wtf, ridiculous!

#22 12 years ago

Mods..? What are those? I'm lucky to get my games to be Complete and Working more or less have extra features on them..Ha

#23 12 years ago

Not a mod fan personally. Don't think they enhance games. Unless, it's something that was removed in the production cycle to reduce costs.

Granted, I've seen a limited few I found cool, or must-have, but generally, I'm not a fan.

Same applies to LEDs for me.

However, I've mellowed in my old age, and if the mods/leds help someone enjoy their pins, I'm all for the mods!

And if they are reversible mods, I might consider buying that persons modded game, if it ever goes up for sale

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Granted, I've seen a limited few I found cool, or must-have, but generally, I'm not a fan.

Since I have a TZ I gotta stick my neck in and some are needed for it. Things like the piano are not over the top and very subtle, and improve the look of the game.

My other 3 games I have 0 mods and don't have any plans on getting any.

#25 12 years ago

I will never understand bashing someone else's mod preference. Your opinion is not necessary to my decision on what I put on my game. Don't like my mirror blades? Well! Lucky for you that it isn't your game! Carry on.

#26 12 years ago

TaylorVA said:

Spending 100s of dollars to make it more difficult to follow the ball. Ummm...okay.
    Most people do not suffer from strobing like you and have no problems following the ball.

I don't think I would agree with this. I don't know anyone personally who does either. The FT at the MGC was a perfect example of this. I saw tons of people *try* to play that game, everyone either commented that the game was unplayable or just simply walked away with balls left to play. Same goes for the NGG a friend just picked up. Had a superbrite kit in it. My buddy commented to the guy that he was taking those out and the guy said, "Why, they look so good?" They may "look good" and be really bright while in attract mode, but the game *plays* terrible with them in. If you just want to look at a game like many collector's with their museum pieces, then by all means knock yourself out, but I think that there are many more people out there who think the games with superbrites under every insert are basically unplayable.

Here is a pic of my Congo that has $.39 Ablaze 1s under the inserts and in the pop bumpers. They are the perfect match of insert popping color and playability, doesn't cost $100's and doesn't affect playability at all. Does anyone really want/need inserts any brighter than this?

highscore.jpghighscore.jpg

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I don't think I would agree with this. I don't know anyone personally who does either.

So what don't you, and "everyone you know" disagree with? That only certain people are effected by strobing?
    Yet you hear tons of people on this site who buy LEDs and have no problems...so are they lying? So My eyes are not affected negatively buy LEDs...and neither are the people I play with, but everyone you know has issues.

EDIT Or are you just disagreeing and changing the subject, per usual, that everyone should only be buying LEDs from pinball life?

#28 12 years ago

I hope you understand what you're getting yourself into with a comment like that

Quoted from TaylorVA:

My vote, LEDs.

My vote, besides the general over cluttering of crap inside the games are the powder coating of legs and rails all kinds of colors. Most of the time it takes a color that matches and just over does it. Sometimes the colors don't match at all. Either way, it makes great looking games look cheap and cheesy.

#29 12 years ago

The mod I personally dislike the most is the little hairy cousin IT mod in TAF.

IMHO mods in general are awesome (such as the spiral ramp for TZ). They allow home users to personalize their pins.

Also, I don't necessarily believe that Leds should be considered mods at all. I guess technically they are but I dunno...it just seems like changing out bulbs or speakers isn't really a mod.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bronzelion:

Also, I don't necessarily believe that Leds should be considered mods at all.

Yeah it can go either way. I think most people use LEDS, like myself, to replace bulbs with something that lasts longer, looks brighter, uses less energy. better on the games themselves. I wouldn;t even consider that a mod either.

Once you start changing the colors of whole areas of the playfield to blue or purple that is a big change.

#31 12 years ago

I have a FT LEDed with superbrights and I think it looks great and plays fine. Did the one at MGC have the fish insert LEDs color matched or were they white? I would agree that if you use white superbrights for those inserts it's painful to look at.

I don't understand paying hundreds of dollars for aftermarket toppers. Some are cool, but most don't even look that good. That's just my opinion though.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

But i think allot of new to the hobby people go overboard.

Im probably a victim here. I paid $200 for the LED kit for my TZ and think it looks awesome! I also ordered the red clock housing and miniature gumball machine. It already had the rocket ship and piano, and sadly theres a few hundred more in mods Id like to get. But I have no intention of ever selling, but I do think the robot mod is way to BIG.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #34 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I have a FT LEDed with superbrights and I think it looks great and plays fine. Did the one at MGC have the fish insert LEDs color matched or were they white? I would agree that if you use white superbrights for those inserts it's painful to look at.
    I don't understand paying hundreds of dollars for aftermarket toppers. Some are cool, but most don't even look that good. That's just my opinion though.

The put whites under those as even though the fish are colored, the inserts themselves for the colored fish are still white. It was painful to look at.

#35 12 years ago

I like LED's, PF mods and toppers. I guess I look at it like this, it is my game and I am the one who looks at it, plays it and owns it. I have sold games with $150 in LED's in it for the same price I bought the game. I've also sold games that have new plastics, or I have restored the PF with decals and clear coat with little profit. I guess I figure I get my money out of playing the games and sharing my love of the hobby with others.

#36 12 years ago

So the battle is between superbrights or LEDs period?

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

"Can" you play the game with super bright LEDs...sure. Is it the same and does it play like it should...no. Superbrite LEDs are a stupid mod, which once again, was the topic of this thread I contributed to.

Thanks for contributing. Usually when people make sweeping judgments about everyone who plays a game, well usually they don't actually. But enough of this, i have already talked to you plenty about this and know how this will go.

Quoted from sb80:

So the battle is between superbrights or LEDs period?

It's going to be hard to keep up with this. It will twist and turn and be very confusing.

#38 12 years ago

Hey Lawman, I personally think LEDs in a pin is common sense. Much cleaner light that lasts 50000-100000 hours so Ill never have to change them. If somebody wants to blind themselves then more power to ya, one thing Ive noticed about pinheads is they all have there own unique taste.

#39 12 years ago

definitely a defender of mirror blades. I believe they even have gold now, as well as silver and black.

#40 12 years ago

I submit for your group disapproval two of the best, and yet admittedly most ridiculous mods I've done to my machines together in one shot.

bop_and_mousin.jpgbop_and_mousin.jpg

#41 12 years ago

I dunno, I think the pinball sign looks good.

Quoted from TheKorn:

I submit for your group disapproval two of the best, and yet admittedly most ridiculous mods I've done to my machines together in one shot.

#42 12 years ago

whoa you win

#43 12 years ago

Bass to the balls...

#44 12 years ago

Having played these games I can confirm that they are like a shaker motor for your genitals.

Korn...you really gotta tell them about your other mods...

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

OMG! WTF lol!?

#46 12 years ago

leds are a plus if done properly, not hard on the machine's electronics, won't damage backglass and plastic playfield, pop bumpers from heat.
    i love mods, gives a little extra to the game, if people don't like it i'm ok with that, the game is in my house not yours.
    now... about those mirror blades, i'm not sure if i'll go with chrome or gold.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

now... about those mirror blades, i'm not sure if i'll go with chrome or gold.

The only reasonable solution is to put on one of each

#48 12 years ago

I am ALL for LEDs. I don't care too much about their brightness, what I care about is the reduced load (current) on the electrical system of the pin, the reduction of heat under the playfield and translite, and the protection that reduction of heat gives to the playfield and translite surfaces. I look more for benefits than aesthetics.

I will admit though, alot of blue LEDs will be going in my JM down the road. Maybe some white ones too.

As far as toppers and action figures - mmm - I guess it's based all on preferences. Like with my upcoming JP, I already got a raptor and triceratops just waiting to go on that playfield. While the TREX head and raptor kickback are awesome, adding the dino's - to me - will look really good.

Then again, some of you may hate where I put them, and that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions. They may not like it, but it is your machine - you do what YOU want to do.

#49 12 years ago

Love the subwoofer mods!!!

Would be great on a TAF with an additional Thing hand strategically placed to reach out and give a player a suprise when the real thing hand is grabbing a ball for a lock.

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Love the subwoofer mods!!!
    Would be great on a TAF with an additional Thing hand strategically placed to reach out and give a player a suprise when the real thing hand is grabbing a ball for a lock.

"Hey thing you're really on the ball!"

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stoopidest-mauds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.