(Topic ID: 266789)

My serial number posted to the IPSND.net website (by someone else)

By AaronZOOM

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AaronZOOM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Something strange going on...

I recently took a picture of the serial number sticker from my Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure, and had posted it along with a question on the PinSide forum.

Today, I discovered that somebody took my picture from that post, and submitted it to the Internet Pinball Serial Number Database website as their own submission (even though I had already submitted this serial number back in 2008). It was done by user by the name of "Fun House."

Why would they do this? What would they stand to gain? Imaginary submission "points?" Is that what they're after?

I noticed this user has submitted almost 3000 games to the database - certainly not their own. What's the deal?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

"Why would they do this? What would they stand to gain? Imaginary submission "points?" Is that what they're after?"
This a way of recording the serials of games that still exist. There is no malicious intent I am sure.
When registering a serial there is a part where you select whether you own the game or not.
I also register serial numbers of games, firstly to determine how many games there are in my small country of New Zealand, especially EM and SS. As you get into doing this you tend to record all serials you find including those on the internet from all countries.
I suppose people get competitive to see if they can record the most but each to their own.
I do see your point of why he added an existing serial number - seems pointless to me.
I have done this but only when it is a game that come to NZ so people know it is no longer in the original country.
Hope this helps you understand.

It wasn't so much the re-posting of the serial number that disturbed me - it was the fact that they took my photo from the forums and submitted that as their 'proof.'

I don't know this person. If they were able to find and take the photo from my post, they clearly could have contacted me to say, "Hey, mind if I submit this number to the database? Can I use your photo?"

In the end, whatever, it doesn't hurt me or really benefit them, but it's always nice to display a little courtesy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

12,500 (OBO)
$ 85.00
14,000 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AaronZOOM.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-serial-number-posted-to-the-ipsndnet-website?tu=AaronZOOM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.