(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjc02002.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#649 7 years ago

For what it's worth: it looks like your board has the signal enhancer bypassed according to the text on the board. so if you checked signal enhancer in the tool this might cause an issue.

#658 7 years ago

What if you just uncheck the signal enhancer in the tool and keep the jumper attached? I think you basically have bypassed the signal enhancer by what you did.

1 week later
#667 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I got informed that there is a layout problem with the shield design of Uncle Sash The wire bridge is the only way to get it working.
So the solution is very specific to that version of the shield.

Hey lucky I believe I have this same shield version from uncle sash. Do you know the exact version that is affected? Do you have any recommendations on a way to fix the issue so we could use the signal enhancer(like run some jumper wires and cut some traces or something? I know it's not your board design so I don't expect you to be thrilled about it, sorry about that... if you don't have any suggestions could you draw up the signal enhancer pinout so I could figure it out myself. Thank you very much for any help!

#678 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

They will work but might have very rare glitches on SAM and Spike games.

But is there an error in the board design? If so, I want to fix the error by running traces or cutting traces from the board so that the enhancer can work properly. Any help would be appreciated.

#681 7 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Sorry for the very basic question --- I did look set this thread but didn't read each message.
How does one
1) Acquire the HW for this?
2) Get a list of colorized games?
... Altan

To answer your questions: right now there are a few places to buy hardware. The cheapest way is to buy led panels off aliexpress, a shield from rappelbox or uncle sash(or get your own made). And an stm32 discovery board from say mouser(I also think rappelbox and uncle sash can sell you this stuff). Oh, you need to either make or buy a bracket too which those guys sell(I made mine). Also you need some way to supply 5v ~5amps or less of power. I did this with a $4 voltage regulator off eBay and hooked it up the same way colorDMD does it(snag 12v off open driver board connector). A more expensive yet also more elegant solution is buy the stuff from pinballsp. His boards integrate all of the hardware into one board including the bracket to mount in a real pinball.

As far as games that are "colorized": There are really only a few newer stern games done well. This project is an open source community based project and to be honest it's pretty young. It's up to users like you and me to spend time colorizing games and posting the files up for all to use. There is an editor program that has come a long way to accomplish the color data and you can also use pinball browser for newer stern games. It's much easier to color newer stern games because they already have more shades to work with before you have to start actually drawing in your own colors for each frame.

Needless to say if your even remotely interested in this go to the vpuniverse forums and there is a specific pin2dmd forum with all of this information and more. Also check out Pin2dmd.com for the basics.

Pin2dmd is a diy open source project and is very fun IMO. I built 2 of them so far and they cost me about $140 each(actually a little less). I needed a dmd anyway and figured I could get a used regular dmd for about the same as this. Hopefully someday people like you and me will upload decent color renderings of many titles for all to share

What's pretty promising about Pin2dmd is that it is geared toward virtual pinball and all the development applies to virtual or real pinball machines. This gives me hope that many VP users will work to color games in the future.

Hope this helps,

-Tom

4 months later
#717 6 years ago

Even if you replace frames with colorized ones I don't think you are technically storing any copyrighted info because the original info was a greyscale in 3 shades and your really only storing a fully colorized version of that, not the greyscale original version. Probably would have to talk to a lawyer if you really cared, personally I don't. I can buy the parts to build 3 pin2dmds for the price of 1 colordmd and if people start releasing more and more colorizations I will build more and more of them. The editor has improved so much over the past year and even the past month that I am excited to see some more colorizations using the editor. Great job on the project and keep up the good work!

#719 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Thank you for debunking Lucky1's previous post, and exposing the Pin2DMD project for what it is.

To be fair, the project was clearly started as a virtual pinball solution but upgraded to also work using real pinball signal input. I really like colordmd but I can't spend $400 on my $2000 pinball machine just to make the screen look cool(I realize I might be a minority on this forum). also just because colordmd costs too much that is not luckys fault.

#721 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

No, just because you cannot afford something [or do not want to spend that much] does not give you the right to steal it.

It is all conjecture my friend.

#730 6 years ago

I like the colors you used in T2 taxman. I will copy them exactly for my Pin2dmd.

3 months later
#750 6 years ago

Will the firmware be different? If so will you continue to make firmware updates for the old version as well? Please say yes.

Oh also, this looks great. Thank you for continuing the support for this and continuing to make improvements.

Thank you.

#757 6 years ago

There is also like 6 or so basic color palettes selectable on the device without adding any palettes. You can select them with the menu buttons on the Pin2dmd.

#758 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Also on the picture is the DC-DC converter breakout board for better installation with 12V power sources.

Can I recommend including this on the shield? Would be a little more streamline to have this included.

3 weeks later
#773 6 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

I am just now seeing this and wonder if this is still a 100 dollar solution. Also are files out for Sega X-files? thanks in advance

It is possible to build these for close to $100 if done very thrifty and with a lot of diy. You could easily do it for about $150 or less. If your building more than one it helps with shipping. I've been able to build them for about $100 recently maybe $110 but that's for multiple units splitting shipping.

1 year later
#917 4 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

I have several ColorDMDs in both LCD and LED. I understand this isn't that, nor is it close.
Trust me, I get all that. I'm looking for the specifics of how RGBDMD works, though. But it sounds like it might be as "easy" as what I asked...I really need to plug what I have into a game, plug Pinball-Browser into it, and then ask more specific questions as they pop up (well, and read the stuff Lucky1 posted above).
(Yes, I even understand I have to power the LED array separately...I followed enough of the discussion back in the day to know that as well. Have a 10A 5V supply sitting ready.) Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was asking for something plug and play.
I've got a feeling I'll end up with Pin2DMD. Any pointers to someone with stock?
--Donnie

This topic has gotten derailed. This post was supposed to be about PIN2DMD which is a very capable color display. DJB seems to have a different type of display "RGBDMD" which is much less capable from a colorization standpoint and it confuses this forum topic.

#919 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yep RGBDMD can be set to 1 color - 4 shades of colors for B/W games. I think Stern games support 16 colors. But Pin2DMD is a far superior solution for B/W games because you can create a package which dynamically switches the color palette - so 4 colors at a time, but switching those 4 on demand, so it really looks awesome.
RGBDMD doesn’t have the processor (it uses a Teensy Arduino) or software to do this. Wish I’d switched long ago!

Pin2DMD has full color replacement possible for most games. Please don't spread information that is misleading. There are full colorizations including hundreds of colors(up to 16 per frame, more actually possible I believe) for B/W games, data east games, stern games etc. The colorizations if done well can be on-par or sometimes superior(IMO) to what other more expensive companies sell. Plus if you don't like something you can change it to whatever you want. You could write your name in the background of an animation if you felt like it using the pin2dmd editor. Don't get me wrong, colorizing a game is very time consuming but there are already many games people have done and freely distribute the files (props to malenko and martin).

#920 4 years ago

here’s an example of an animation used in HS2 on a PIN2DMD.
E528FC1B-1FE9-4E79-8B26-E790ADD5C460 (resized).pngE528FC1B-1FE9-4E79-8B26-E790ADD5C460 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjc02002.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom?tu=tjc02002 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.