(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago

This looks like the board to have. Assuming it works, good work guys.

Does the in-house firmware support frame by frame colouring and pinball browser? If not, is it in the roadmap?

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Thanks, today I will receive my first PCB version about DMDST32, will assemble it, test and will put pictures about it.
Yes, my firmware will support frame by frame colouring with keyframe and multiple palettes, and I think I will may provide already it in first version of product. Also I will add config with two buttons in board and config menu in display to select bright level and start mode instead of use USB and pc software. Next will be add WIFI support for config and update firmware, with an App in cell phone.
Also I want to test new Raspberry 3, to see if may even apply colouring to pixel level by frame, instead of replace bright level by color. This is a powerful board, 10 times faster than first Raspberry pi, so do not need FPGA to apply replacement of full frame by new colorized pixel by pixel. I will consult with my lawyers to see if some legal problems about patent, but I think no problem.

I think the holy grail would be something like this with all these features, and a custom OLED display - which should be possible for a reasonable price in 2 or 3 years.

2 weeks later
#131 8 years ago

Wouldn't it benefit everyone if lucky1 and pinballsp were to work together on the software / firmware? many hands make light work, and I'm sure the two of you (or two teams) could come up with something superior to either in isolation ...

Also, great work. This looks like it's going to be the go-to solution.

Re: the gel film .. would probably be a good idea to offer it. It ought to improve perceived contrast quite a bit, depending on how effective it is at eating bleed and bloom.

#134 8 years ago

I can't speak for him, but he may change his mind or be persuaded to make it open or collaborate again. He's already changed it once.

The more people something like this has on board, the more adoption it will see and the faster things will develop.

My only advice would be to not make firmware etc specifically (or exclusively) for LED DMDs, at the expense of other display technologies ... eventually we will get VA LCDs and OLEDs at an affordable price. Any work people do on colouring or adding new graphics or animations ought to be transferable to future better hardware.

#136 8 years ago

Glad to hear there is some collaboration.

Whilst wifi setup via a mobile phone or tablet (or laptop) might seem gimmicky, I think it might broaden the appeal of the device. Some people want to install stuff and not have to touch it again. For them, wifi setup would be a big plus, I think. We're entering the wireless age.

#140 8 years ago

I'm sure someone will be willing to write apps for Apple / Android if you guys are willing to collaborate Ubuntu Touch would probably be even easier with their web based Scopes. That's the beauty of being open. A basic framework surely wouldn't be too difficult to set up.

#141 8 years ago

Speaking of mobile apps ... you know what'd be really awesome? Pinball broswer or an analogous program that allowed you to recolour (or add new) DMD dots ... in terms of interface it could probably be made to feel really intuitive on a tablet or large screened smartphone. On a train, plane, in a taxi, waiting for someone ... bored waiting for food at a restaurant ... go back to your childhood and do some colouring in

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Already assembled four prototypes for new DMD ST32 LED panel controller board. Two with WIFI and F427 microcontroller, one with F407 and not WIFI and one with F405 and not WIFI.
Tomorrow I will star to check firmware with these four boards, I want to see that F427 and F405 work fine, also this new version include two 74LS245 buffers to improve performance with real pinball, so I want check it too.
Current features of this controller board version of DMD ST32 are following:
1.- Ful compatible Discovery hardware based firmware.
2.- May install optional, WIFI module for wireless config, updates, palettes, new firmware versions, etc... This module may be controlled with AT commands or programmed in LUA language by serial port in board.
3.- Three Buttons for config in display with Menu.
4.- 2 Mega Flash Memory chip in board, to store config, palettes, keyframes, etc...
5.- Boot mode to load firmware by USB, with BOOT jumper in board
6.- St-link connector to program and DEBUG microcontroller with JTAG/SWD (may use ST-Link V2 programmer/debuger, its very cheap)
7.- Four leds, with print texts in board (ERR, DATA, Key1, Key2)
8.- Micro SD card socket.
9.- May install firve different STM32 microcontrollers; F405, F407, F427, F429, F745/6. F427, 429 and 745 are the powerful to support future updates for SEGA 192*64 big displays, Colorize by Keyframe, Random Multipalette by time, etc...
10.- RC filters resistors/capacitors to improve pinball real data input.
11.- All in one board, connect directly to led panel input data, do not need add any additional board or flat cable.
12.- USB Mini B port VERTICAL, for config and updates from PC computer.
13.- Keep MISO-MOSI jumper, but like a solder jumper, by default solder in position 1.
14.- Optional, add two 74LS245 buffers to improve output data to led panel.
15.- Board protected against polarity inversion.

Controladora_DMDST32_009_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_007_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_008_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_010_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_012_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_002_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_006_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_005_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_004_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_014_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_001_(resized).jpgControladora_DMDST32_015_(resized).jpg

Wouldn't it be a good idea to only offer the more powerful processors? Or THE most powerful one. I assume we're only talking a few Euros more, and who knows what future features you or others may want or need to add? Plus with one SKU support and problem solving and testing are easier, and there's no segmentation and complete feature and performance parity. Standardisation makes things much easier in getting this off the ground as a standard and offering a competitive product, and really removes potential confusion for buyers.

Quoted from toibs:

That looks great Luis And great to hear that Lucky is on board too! This could be THE go-to board for coloring your own DMD, with all the bells and whistles on board!

There's no reason for it not to become the go to solution full stop. It's far more elegant and featured than ColorDMD or SmartDMD ever were. The community just needs to get behind it, and it's great that despite initial enmity, lucky1 and Luis are now collaborating.

Not only would we then have a better solution than anything now available, but it'd also force the market leaders to move forward and hopefully innovate and lower prices rather than hiding behind assinine patents that will never cover most of the world and would be unlikely to retain validity if tested in the home market.

#161 8 years ago

How much more are the 745 or 746? Probably not that much more? I can't stress how much better it would be to have one standardised platform, and one which will be future proof for quite some time. If you can forsee a situation where the extra speed and resources could be useful, then it's best to go for it.

#164 8 years ago

€10 isn't going to make anyone less likely to buy it, and if the processor is more powerful and allows more ambitious features to be added to the firmware and supported software, then it's likely to help the project a lot. If availability isn't an issue, then going for the bigger, juicer, slightly more expensive one would be better (745/6); I'd certainly want it, even if there is no pressing need for it right now.

Good idea re: right-angle connector ... I really don't understand why they're not more widely used. Only cables that are commonly used with the 90 degree connector are SATA.

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

I have here one STM32F746 chip, I will assemble one Controller Board with it and will test.
Its a very powerful ST microcontroller, F7 compared with F4, double its performance, 462 DMIPS vs 225 DMIPS. This may be interesting to apply keyframes and colorize with real pinball.
ST32_007_(resized).jpg
stm32_sc1169_(resized).jpg

If it offers that option, it sounds like an easy decision to make

#171 8 years ago

Unless it's a huge amount of work to adapt the firmware(s), then I really do think it's unwise to start on one and later move to another, especially when the latter option is available now.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

We already have 250 pin2dmd devices out there in use which I want to keep compatible

That's a pretty small number. Especially if your firmware is going to be just one of several used on this hardware.

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Then it is even better that Luis is offering the hardware with different processor options. I won't drop the users who supported pin2dmd project from the first day. 427 it's strong enough for our needs. If someday not, I would directly go to fpga.

FPGA would be a LOT more expensive most probably ... also, how many people potentially interested in writing software or adding firmware features are familiar with what FPGAs would require as opposed to ARM these days?

#195 8 years ago

Raspberry Pi 3 ought to be more than powerful enough to do anything you wanted now, or in future. Also, as it's RP, its availability is ensured for ages and is likely to fall in cost more quickly than other options. If it has all the features needed, maybe it's the best option?

#201 8 years ago

I assume these LED panels should support 120Hz?

#238 8 years ago

I wouldn't drive yourself too mad or spend THAT much time on the bigger SEGA displays. Especially when the 2mm dot pitch boards are likely much more expensive than they will be in 18 months to 2 years time. Almost certainly 98% of orders will be for 128*32.

Have there been any more thoughts about pinball browser compatibility and full frame recolouring?

2 weeks later
#299 8 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Pin2DMD Firmware V2.0 firmware currently supports
- WPC
- Stern SAM (with smartDMD colorizing)
- Stern Whitestar
- DataEast
- WPC95
- WPC with PinLED board
Currently in development is
- Stern Spike real pinball input
- Gottlieb real pinball input
Need some testing on real machines to make that work properly.

Any updates on pinball browser and frame by frame full recolours, vis a vis the Pinballsp controller(s)?

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Good and bad news.
First bad news; I have tested F746 and unfortunately its not compatible with F4xx MCU, so can not install in my current controller board, pin19 to pin49 are different in F746 in relation to F427 (see picture attached).
And good news, a friend received today my DMD ST32, and he has test it with several pinball, mainly to know about two very important matter to me.
1.- To know if my DMD power supply may work with 100VAC, and YES work perfect, he has connect my DMD to 100VAC from video controller board in WPC and from power supply board in Data East and DMD work, no problem. This is very important to may do a PLug and Play.
2.- Check if DMD with power supply attached may install in most pinball, so if enough space between DMD and boards to avoid remote power supply, and YES may install compact DMD with power supply attached in most pinball, tested in several Bally/Williams, Data East, Stern. Tomorrow he will check in some Gottlieb.
And today I have receive several IDC quick splice terminals, to provide only ONE universal cable to conect DMD power suply in all pinball. With these kind of connectors, do not need solder or cut cables, simply put the two wires to connect in one splice terminal, pres it with a pliers and both cables are already connected, easy, fast and reversible.
Pictures attached, not compatibility F746 vs F4xx, tests that has do my friend with several pinballs and DMD ST32, and picture about splice terminals to do universal cable practically a plug and play for all pinball.
ScreenHunter_001_(resized).jpg
b9eb6b66-b347-426d-99cf-40713f3edfb6_(resized).jpg
12fab6d2-aa48-4311-98e7-5031e78d74ce_(resized).jpg
be051370-bb17-4032-a63b-737a01178172_(resized).jpg
55a4d1a7-f72c-4258-9565-0dfb8315e89b_(resized).jpg
pinzas_001_(resized).jpg
pinzas_002_(resized).jpg
pinzas_003_(resized).jpg

So what's the way forward with the F746?

Rest of the solution looks to be shaping up very nicely.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

I hope not, since colorising is exactly what i'm intending to do, and due to the fact the F746 isnt possible yet, have gone for the fastest currently offered (F427)....

He previously said it was necessary for advanced recolouring - presumably frame by frame and total recolouring, and anything else fancy they want to support. Now edited out though after the test results to say it would be for the future.

I'd rather wait, personally. The attraction lies for me in a full featured solution, and I'd rather not buy something which is essentially hamstrung or obsolete from the beginning. Also, the system really needs those features ... it would attract people to start colouring games, and make it a much more attractive alternative to ColorDMD.

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

and here with logo replaced by version with more colors
» YouTube video

That's a relief. I was typing a post and looking rather sad whilst doing it. IMO that would have been a disaster for the project

Will it allow full frame recolouring? I.E. the entire frame, not just the active pixels? Can it drive it at 120hz?

Also, that latter video looks like there's really good control of bleed and excellent contrast. Are you using a film?

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

First question is already answered if you think about it.
We already ran tests from 40hz to 200hz and worked fine.
No Film, but we reworked the output routine to reduce as much as possible.
Still have some ideas to make it even better.

Are there any issues with the high, or highest refresh rates? Overshoot etc?

Always difficult to tell from videos, but that looks dramatically better than the first lot of videos that did the rounds with the original DMDs that FAST sourced. Contrast looks better than the unit ColorDMD showed.

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

What was driving the FAST sourced RGB DMDs you are referring to?
Aaron
FAST Pinball

I THINK it was ecurz's board? But like I say, it's difficult to tell from videos. Unless the camera and lighting conditions are the same, can't say for sure if one was better. Just the way it looked in that video, it seemed to look like the best I've seen so far.

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Gotcha. Yeah, the video above is shot in the optimal lighting for contrast. In my experience, the panels are either good or bad. From there it is the power source and the driving method that makes up the quality and stability of the output.
Lots of development going on in the RGB DMD space. Looking forward to sharing more about our efforts soon.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Regardless of display itself, it'd be nice if there could be some kind of standard reached for driving it. Whether it be the pinballsp controller here, or someone else's. Unity on that fron would be extremely beneficial in gaining traction.

#332 7 years ago

Well if the M4s do work for frame by frame full colour (ColorDMD actually has a number of rules and limitations I think?), surely the question is what fancy stuff could be added with more power (M7)?

1 week later
#343 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Yes, problem is not only the software it is also the hardware.The SEGA size P2 panels have also a different pinout and signaling. P2.5 panels I used for proof of concept had at least the same pinout.

I'd suggest putting more work into Stern Spike than SEGA games ... it'd help get this whole project off the ground really quickly. Even if ColorDMD support Spike soon, the first Spike coloured titles are probably a long, long way off. People would buy this to avoid the red-mud of the new Spike DMDs, at less than half the cost of a ColorDMD.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

$45 for shipping, wow. Is that because of the box size?

They're not going to send an item of that value uninsured and untracked.

1 week later
#362 7 years ago

This mess really needs to be sorted out. It's in everyone's interests (except ColorDMD's) to have a strong singular standard for this project.

I'll probably buy at least 5 of these immediately, and potentially more, if and when a standard is chosen and stuck with.

#366 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Right ! The current status afaik of RGB.DMD and the published sourcecode version of PIN2DMD is single palette only
for all games. The only thing I asked for is that Luis mentions PIN2DMD if he describes features of it or shows it
on pictures or in videos in action.
The reason for this, is that people know that there is an advanced version of it and eventually make a donation for our charity
project to get the V2.X version. I don´t want to waste my time supporting users who are running a very old "proof of concept" version
an telling about problems that are fixed months ago. I want to have the users use the best version of pin2dmd but currently
they don´t even know about it because Luis removes every mark of it on his facebook page what ever the reason for that is.
Here is a video of the 2.x version with full color Avengers done by Sharkky using both SmartDMD and Keyframe technology to achieve.
» YouTube video

Honestly, I think it's in everyone's best interests if you release the whole thing, including most up to date version as freeware, but ask for donations to your chosen charity. People, including luis (and me), are very wary of closed source shareware (which is essentially what this is) with no source access even on a request basis. If you give it away and disclose the source, and just have a splash in the software to remind people about donating to your charity, these problems will go away, and you absolutely will raise more money for the charity. Also, if you open up your software, ecurtz and others can potentially join forces to further development.

You're both butting heads & being stubborn, and, again, the only people benefitting are ColorDMD. Everyone, including the wider community and your charity is a loser in this.

Don't let a great project fail. Both of you (luis & lucky1), work it out.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You need a activation key for each board you use. We ask for a donation of 10 Euro each.
@Rubberduck
If you achieve that colordmd and pindmd3 also release their sources we will for sure follow. So far all the guys talking about contribution and sharing had pure personal or financial interests. We started off with a voluntary donation system and collected 250 Euro in 4 month. Since we changed we were able to donate about 2000 Euros. We already cooperate with Eli, Oga and others and shared a lot of information. In fact Eli was one of the first who had access to our source before he released his code. I also offered to Luis to get access to the latest source if he adds a feature to the open source version which is worth adding to V2. But currently from all the features he was talking about and that he says is capable to add to the firmware, the only thing he did was exchanging the boot graphics which is obviously not a feature we want to add. Maybe Luis should say something about why he is not mentioning PIN2DMD or now RGB.DMD on his website when he is talking of the features of his products.

Some of what you say may be salient, but the point still stands that as a third party closed source source shareware software, both the community and luis relying on it is something of a leap of faith. Not necessarily because of any doubt in you or your collaborators personally, but because you're human and circumstances change.

If the pinballsp solution is ultimately to be commercial, as I think you are insinuating, perhaps a small % of sales could go to charity (or charities). Even if the cut is small, a single standard will sell and gain far more traction than otherwise, and therefore raise more money for good causes.

As was discussed at the beginning of this thread, a robust standard is so important ... and this project (or now projects) already seems close to being fatally Balkanised or fractured.

#371 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

One funny fact to add is that NONE of all the person asking for the code to be released donated ONE single dollar or contributed anything useful to the project while the others who did are totally happy with the situation.

Why would people donate who would prefer an open standard? You seem to take donations as reinforcement of the status quo.

You may feel that luis is being unreasonable, which he may be, but he also apparently feels that you are being unreasonable, which you may be. There ought to be a solution which can be agreed which is agreeable to both of you, and which would benefit the entire community.

This should not be an impasse which can't be resolved.

Have someone else mediate if you don't want to speak directly.

Have either of you ever picked up a phone or talked on skype? Might relieve some of the tension and lead to better understanding. If there's a language barrier, then have someone sit in on the call who speaks good spanish / german.

#375 7 years ago

Re: commercialisation, ColorDMD is not an issue. Can just sell the hardware without software to the US, and every other market with.

#377 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

This is news to me. I don't think I've ever seen any of your code other than glancing at which systems were supported in the version you posted to github.

At this point most of the undeveloped features are things I'm not comfortable contributing due to patent concerns where I live (USA). However pinballsp is completely correct, he can use the RGB.DMD software released under the MIT license and extend it in whatever way he'd like.

You can continue to contribute however you like, with no fear of reproach provided that a solution containing software which (allegedly) violates patents is not offered for sale in the US. If one is, in contempt of your wishes, it is not you who's liable.

#390 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

How far off are we from a hardware solution that allows users to colorize their own frames and share their colorized files for others to use?

using pin2dmd firmware, you already can. per the video here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/8#post-3147820 I assume pinballbrowser was used to colour it.

the problem is, unless luis and lucky stop butting heads, I don't think a combined solution (former's hardware & latter's firmware) has any future. it will have to be rgb.dmd rather than pin2dmd based. hopefully the currently missing features from rgb.dmd can be quickly added, then we'll have a combined and hopefully dominant solution (until someone produces better hardware).

there needs to be a strong competitor to ColorDMD, and two different hardware standards (incompatible) and two different firmwares, with more argument than agreement, cannot possibly be a strong competitor.

#393 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Hello Paul.
Sorry for do not reply, I was busy lately with personal matters. I received recently the mini STLINK programmer, so now all is ready to ship orders, tomorrow I will ship your order, sorry for delay.
And dont worry, DMDST32 is a good hardware, already solved problem with BOOT mode for F427, provide programmer to may upload firmware.
Kind Regards

If you're not going to be proceeding with any firmware for it, what is the point of selling the STM F427 boards, rather than the Freescale ones you're now working on .. or do you anticipate reaching a resolution with lucky? If no resolution is reached, it just harms the standard (meaning there isn't one).

#399 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Well, I think there is no problem, nothing is different about DMDST32. I continue manufacturing board and according with this post, Joerg say you may install pin2dmd last version in DMDST32, no problem about it.

Simply there is a new hardware+software project based on RGB.DMD, but this do not affect DMDST32. Different products, two options, DMDST32 + third party firmware or DMDMK64 + RGB.DMD firmware based.
I do not have stop DMDST32 manufacture and support, all is exactly like days ago before I advertise new controller board based on Kinetis MCU. And according with Lucky1 post, there is no problem, he support pin2dmd to install in DMDST32 board.

Quoted from lucky1:

Luis is absolutely right ! His board is and will be supported by pin2dmd since it is the same hardware 200+ users are already running. It is just a replacement for our STM32F4 discovery board / shield solution. Wifi support is already integrated in the latest version from the STM32 side but I haven´t finished the ESP code yet.Due to the fact that he uses RGB.DMD for his own development there is also no problem to sell the KINETIS board with preloaded firmware commercially as soon as he has it running.

But then there are two mutually incompatible products, with different hardware and firmware. It causes confusion and will almost certainly lead to lower market penetration. It's splintered, and probably won't attract enough people colouring games to present a viable alternative to ColorDMD. There's also a lot of duplicated work, and probably a huge amount of unnecessary support queries and issues.

Whether you think it or not now, one of these standards will likely fail, leaving only one. That may then cause additional problems for the legacy userbase. ~200 on the STM platform is nothing really ... but what if support ends when there are 1000? That's a lot more ill will and disappointment.

**Can you guarantee that the frame by frame colouring and / or new animation data will work unmodified on both firmware / hardware archetypes? If it doesn't, that's absolutely terrible ... surely this would have to be a baseline level of compatibility to support the two standards simultaneously?**

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

PIN2DMD uses currently 2 techniques to colorize . One is smartdmd, for which Luis needs the approval from Oga84 to implement and the other is based on frame checksums. Ecrutz and I already agreed on the same algorithm to be compatible. If Luis uses the same, the tools can easily be made compatible which was the intention for PIN2DMD and RGB.DMD in first place.

Then I seriously hope Luis does so. This is surely vital. Colour data not being compatible would kill work on a lot of colourisation.

Hopefully FAST too will agree on a standard for the data .... and any further entrants.

Is pinballbrowser support going to be added to both? Being able to check out new animations and colouring with the ability to quickly test them via wifi would be great, particularly.

#407 7 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

for me, to advance the colouration and there is a shared library, the editor would have to be free for everyone to collaborate.
I'm waiting for the dmd luis, and I have several sam machines, and have drawn animations, but I can not color because I have no license to pin2dmd editor.
not having the dmd I can not ask for the license.
regards

why can't you use pinballbrowser to colour the animations, whilst you wait for the dust to settle re: firmware (and then presumably choose which solution you want)?

#415 7 years ago

So is Stern Spike support already in for pin2dmd firmware and / or rgb.dmd?

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Looks great !! Please remember to share your result with others and upload the final project somewhere

Assuming agreement is reached between all relevant parties to conform to one standard for colouring / animation data - pin2dmd / rgbdmd (and any interpretation Luis uses) / FAST - a central repository for the data ought to be made where people can upload and share it.

#424 7 years ago

Aside from any files, each game should also have a list that people can add their name to which indicates that they're working on it, and contact details on pinside or email, to promote collaboration.

#448 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I didn't hear from you - - did it go out?

Read above?

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I did - he said on Sunday it should have went out on Monday - but didn't' hear anything.

Read above ....

#454 7 years ago

Hardware wise it looks miles better than anything else that has been produced, ColorDMD or other. Most look like scruffy hack jobs. The latter particularly.

#463 7 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

If lucky stops development the software is useless to any one who hasent already got it.
colorDMD comes fully working out the box. Its never in a bricked form. But this hardware (at the moment) relies on lucky giving out a key for it to be any use.
Im just asking what happens the day lucky does not give out a key?

I'd be more inclined to wait for Luis' own hardware design and his branch / newer version of ecurtz's software. He seems to think it won't take too long, and then there won't be a 3rd party with the ability to nix it.

@pinballsp ... when do you think it will be ready?

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Hello:
Im working with it, but I prefer provide details when product available.
Im working with a modular system, with options to ALL current hardware-firmware solutions, F405/F407/F427 for pin2dmd, F746 for pin2dmd, Teensy 3.2 for RGB.DMD, Kinetis MK64 for my own hardware-firmware based on RGB.DMD and even Raspberry Pi 3 (for Led panels, not for TFT).
A modular system allow share 99% of hardware with all systems, and only select small board with microcontroller that may change to test several solutions. So always will be a good product with future, if some firmware stop only need change the small board with microcontroller and keep rest of hardware, or simply may test several solutions with low cost.
There are more news, I will warn about it when ready, and will put pictures.

Sounds great in theory.

You appear to work very quickly, but that appears to be a MAJOR project. Far bigger than any that have gone before it, or ColorDMD in its entirety.

Realistically, how quickly are you likely to finish that? It took you days or weeks to prototype other things .. but won't this take many months?

If you could have it ready, and displayed (preferably ready to buy) at Expo in Chicago in October, that'd create a huge buzz, and certainly put a huge amount of pressure on ColorDMD to offer a more price-competitive product.

Have you also contacted FAST to see if they want to be a part of this, with whichever controller they're doing?

9 months later
#698 7 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

» YouTube video
Colorization for pin2dmd finished! All additional information will be announced tomorrow.

Good job.

7 months later
#789 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Do the frames in the dmd match what is going on in the game all the time?

In my case, yes. There's no noticeable difference in latency to the Stern DMD. My Met has pinballsp's DMDST32 pin2dmd compatible product. Can't comment on other solutions as I've not tried them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 12.95
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.