(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Yes but like you say a workaround is needed. Who wants a workararound if there is a solution which doesn´t need one ? The panels we use now don´t need any kind of workaround.
Does also make no sense from the technical side, to process 64 lines if you only need 32. Double the time to calculate. Double the memory. Lower refresh rate etc. And besides, I can´t see any gap between the two panels, if the panels are well aligned.

I found that perfect alignment of the two panels is quite easy and just takes loosening the screws on each SLIGHTLY, then aligning them by eye while looking at the dots very carefully and making sure they are exactly as they need to be (which is quite easy to do) and then tightening each of the two panel's screws very carefully to allow the alignment to stay. Once completed, there is no distinction between dots from either panel, or the continuous rows they create.

#1139 3 years ago

Just installed an EVO board in place of the original DMD display in a Stern (Whitestar) Ripley's BION machine. It fits perfect with a little creatively. While the physical stack of needed spacers and washers may appear daunting at first, I wanted to confirm that with the hardware supplied (and 4 new nylon spacers) the brackets and Stern display board can be re-mounted perfectly on top of the EVO board to allow it to attach exactly in the place of the original DMD. (I DID purchase qty:4 nylon #6 spacers, about 3/16 tall.) I can supplied pictures of the stacks of screws and spacers if anyone needs to see. PM me.

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from action76:

markharris2000
I'm confused. Is it a Stern game or Williams Whitewater? I am assuming a Stern because you mentioned the display board mounted on the DMD but the Whitewater threw me off. And, yes post a pic or two. I would like to see your configuration.

It's a Stern, (Whitestar) Ripley's Believe it or Not! Uses the separate DMD control board. I will take some pictures and post tomorrow.

#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from action76:

OK, I should have put two and two together on that one. I'll blame a long Monday at work after being shut down last week because of the ice storm. Thanks in advance for the pics.

I attached them here

1C2568B2-CEBC-4C81-B2A4-8F666E364067 (resized).jpeg1C2568B2-CEBC-4C81-B2A4-8F666E364067 (resized).jpeg48C04CC4-B3AC-4E90-B30C-AFAEAB96B6AE (resized).jpeg48C04CC4-B3AC-4E90-B30C-AFAEAB96B6AE (resized).jpeg72ABBFD7-AF91-4386-A035-A6C8BA8F8BE4 (resized).jpeg72ABBFD7-AF91-4386-A035-A6C8BA8F8BE4 (resized).jpeg7B1C2B43-3ECB-430E-A44E-9A165D8C2983 (resized).jpeg7B1C2B43-3ECB-430E-A44E-9A165D8C2983 (resized).jpeg8D0CDBC8-79C2-4C9B-B5D2-AAFB366347AF (resized).jpeg8D0CDBC8-79C2-4C9B-B5D2-AAFB366347AF (resized).jpeg
#1145 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

That's interesting Mark.
I've sold a lot of these and they've been installed in quite a few games and the only thing we've put any type of spacer in was Metallica pins that have the metal speaker panel. Not saying this is unnecessary because it seems that every Stern manufactured game has a different setup for the DMD. It's truly a pain in the butt.
My friend has a Ripley's and we were going to install one in his. I'll have to keep an eye out for this issue.
Thanks for the info!

The wires and connectors and other stuff the protrudes the back of the PIN2DMD board concerned me, and I didn't want to squish the STERN controller too tightly against that stuff. The net-net is the mounting holes in PIN2DMD are all in the right place, and a simple combination of spacers and the right sized screws make it easy. (I added a spacer to the front of the board simply because I didn't have any shorter screws on hand, and had the spacers just staring at me!) LOL

Now if I could just turn off the PIN2DMD splash screen at power-up or customize it to the game itself....

1 week later
#1146 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

That's interesting Mark.
I've sold a lot of these and they've been installed in quite a few games and the only thing we've put any type of spacer in was Metallica pins that have the metal speaker panel. Not saying this is unnecessary because it seems that every Stern manufactured game has a different setup for the DMD. It's truly a pain in the butt.
My friend has a Ripley's and we were going to install one in his. I'll have to keep an eye out for this issue.
Thanks for the info!

After having the PIN2DMD installed in my RBION for awhile, along with Vitaliy's colorization file, it adds new energy to the machine. There are a couple of display sequences that appear to have minor render issues, but overall it is a marked improvement from single-color DMD displays, and for $200 its a great option. (I also have one installed in RCT with the VPuniverse colorization file, and again it feels like a great investment.)

#1147 3 years ago

Is anyone seeing any artifacts between scenes and scores on PIN2DMD V4.06? I have as display in my Rollercoaster Tycoon, and 99% of the time everything seems to work fine. But every once in awhile, maybe 8-10 times per game, when a colorized scene ends then a score is displayed, the numbers in the score seem to retain the colors that were most recently part of the scene just played. Some of the pixels are set for the color that occupied that pixel in the prior scene. I will try to post some pictures if possible to grab them quickly.

Any seeing this?

#1149 3 years ago

Just updated to V4.08 and the artifacts are still there. I don't remember ever seeing this on the V3.20. Is there anything I can do to help debug what is happening?

#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I guess the triggers are too late. You can make a dump (https://pin2dmd.com/tool/#1.3) and provide it to the author of the colorization. I´m pretty sure they are also there in 3.20. If you want go back to that version and check.

Thanks. It's a project on VP site, so I will find the latest contributor and see if they can help or try to work on the project myself.

4 weeks later
#1165 2 years ago

I've got a left over EVO 128x32 board running v4.08 if anyone wants to buy it. PM me...

1 week later
#1173 2 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I have 64MB cards (yes, MB!) that I found on AliExpress. I was buying them in lots of 30 and they were about $1 CDN per card so I wasn't worried if a few of them were bad. I also found someone local who had who had 1000 knock-off Sandisk 2GB cards that he was selling to me for $1 each as well. I grabbed a bunch from him.
I've never had any issues with any of these.

Many knock-off cards from Aliexpress and Geek and Bangood are actually 8GB cards... which are silkscreened with higher numbers and name brand logos and then programmed to report 32GB, 64GB or 128GB or whatever they want. I got a few that reported 1TB but they were 8GB cards.

Try WRITING to the card and if the write fails at 8GB, then it is really just a 8GB card. I ONLY buy 16GB cards now SOLD and shipped by Amazon. (Amazon does a genuine sourcing on products, so look for SOLD by Amazon). Google this topic and you'll see how prevalent the fraud is...

#1178 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yup - I always do a FULL (not 'QUICK') format on SD cards when ordered, to make sure they go 100% through before using them. Luckily, have had very few issues, but it is good to be safe.

The QUICK FORMAT won't really expose the fake size issue, as it just writes the index with pointers to what it thinks are valid but are really non-existance memory locations. The only way to see how much is really available is to try WRITING a bunch of files to the card. At some point the PC will error out with an ODD error because it thinks the card still has space but the WRITE command fails. There are utiltiies that can test for FAKE SD cards.

But in any case, most fake cards (regardless of what they are labelled) really use a 8GB flash chip since those are the most common (cheapest) part these days. For smaller applications, like PIN2DMD, I usually just partition the 'cheapo' cards as 8GB (since they are usually ALWAYS using an 8GB flash chips), and then format it as an 8GB card.... regardless of what the label says.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markharris2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom?tu=markharris2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.