(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#386 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Colordmd e.g. has never before released so many titles in such a short time.

You can't really take credit for this. As the colordmd tools have matured, it's easier for them to expand the team so that there are more people working on projects at once -- and they can be completed quicker, again because the tools are improving all the time.

With or without SmartDMD/Pin2dmd that would have still happened.

#389 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

How far off are we from a hardware solution that allows users to colorize their own frames and share their colorized files for others to use?

Can already do this with SmartDMD with whatever capabilities it has -- as long as there's free room in the rom for the color data. Often there's not a lot of free space, so you hit a wall. Unless SmartDMD has some sort of external storage for the color data now that I've missed.

#430 7 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

My only idea to solve this is not whether it is feasible. the idea is to extract the animations of the new vault spiderman, based on the comic and put them in the firm of my spiderman.
problems
* Do not know if spiderman vault has been done with sam system or the new Spyke.
* There are no firm for download from the stern of spiderman page vault.
* Do not know if all animations will coincide, I have seen several videos and animations spiderman vault imitate the original based on the movie.
regarding wpt, before embarking on the great work of colouration, I want to experiment with a small animation, see that the process is correct, see animations correctly coloring etc.
It is not a job one day, but if puerbas are satisfactory and willingly perform the work compartire my work.
regards

New SMVE runs on SAM, not Spike, but you're right about the ROM not being available direct from Stern -- at least not so far.

Some of the animations would be ok in place of the video clips, but others wouldn't make sense. For the main villains they would generally be interchangeable. Especially Venom and Goblin - since their modes are pretty generic. The last doc oc on the vault edition is a scene with a bomb on a bridge that doesn't match up - but that doesn't really matter. Where you'd get into real problems is the modes. VE has "Electro" instead of "Bonesaw", "Tell MJ" instead of "Rescue MJ" and "Jack O'Lantern" instead of ... I'm not sure which one that replaces.

I also don't know if the animations are the same number of frames as the clips they replaced -- I'm guessing they're not always, if at all.

Edit: Another caveat: I haven't looked at the SMVE rom directly to check this, but most of the animations in the VE are sliding flat graphics. They *MIGHT* be procedurally generated - meaning that each of the sliding plates is in the rom - but not the generated animation of them moving. So you'd have to extract those assets, then make animations in something like flash to get the frames you need, and then convert the output of that into images you can load into pinball browser -- probably. Would have to check the rom in pinballbrowser to verify that.

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

It's because you can buy a product off the shelf - plug in a USB, and that's it. No mucking about.
If another product came out that could do the same for a fraction of the price, people would jump at that too. Simple.
Problem is - As soon as someone were to offer that, they would get wrapped up in Legal challenges. and because of colorDMD's success, they have much more money available for this... it would be no good for the smaller supplier.
David and Goliath unfortunately

You're mis-stating this badly.

There's not likely to be "another product" that could do the same for "a fraction of the price" unless that fraction is 9/10ths. Look at where the price point for MikeD's SmartDMD pre-built setup landed. It was almost as much as ColorDMD. Once you add in time for assembly and a buffer to cover support/replacement (unless you're stupid and leave that part out) -- you end up in the same ballpark on price. ColorDMD is a damn good deal at $400 for what you get, and the service and support that comes with it.

And they wouldn't get wrapped up in legal challenges -- *IF* they come up with their own method for doing the colorization of the display.

Lastly, it's pretty hilarious that you think ColorDMD is sitting on some mountain of cash from this venture that they'll use to wield attorneys at people.

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

I would be seriously surprised if the hardware came to more than $120 per unit to make. $40 per screen (they are standard laptop screens - i can buy them singly for less than this - identical ones to colordmd!), Custom board around the same price, maybe a little more (most of the cost in custom chip and connectors) - additional hardware, packaging etc... $150 tops.
So - x thousand displays all at minimum $250 profit each.... plenty there spare for support and cash in the bank... thats a pretty good return on investment.
For the record - i have had several of their displays - yes they are impressive - however they wont release how these are colourised, so you cant just "do your own" - i have a couple of machines i would be surprised if they ever got released.... Hows your precious colordmd board gonna help you there??

Don't forget that the board they drive the thing with is their own design/build - lord knows how much went into that for engineering/testing/software/etc.

I'm sure every game they can do, will eventually get done. No reason for them not to. Some are obviously lower priority, but they'll get around to all of them eventually.

1 year later
#737 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

It's a bit ironic that the original topic of this thread (still visible in the browser url) was "stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom". Lucky1 was the first to cry foul about another project misusing his IP, yet continues to defiantly justify his own behavior.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.