(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

I will admit, I'm a little curious... (Honestly confused.)

If everything was open source (was..), then what's the exact issue?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Open source does not automatically mean free for commercial use. It looks like the issue is that pinballsp may be selling it as a commercial product.

Okay, true.. However, I tried to read that pinballsp's page, and didn't see any reference to commercial use? (Granted, however, I used a translate service, since my Spanish is no bueno.)

#17 8 years ago

Thanks, but as far as I can tell, that does not answer my question about the "pinball" site.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You asked what the definition of commercial use was. And pinballsp is selling their products. Selling a product counts as commercial use.

Wait - how are they selling? I mean, I paid Sash1 for his shield, which came with Lucky's firmware on an ST board. How is that different?

And I didn't ask for the definition of 'commercial use'. I asked how PinballSp was considered commercial. Especially, re:, my above question, right above this paragraph.

No, I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm tryin' to understand.. I must have missed a key puzzle piece..

I game Sash (I think that was his handle) on VPF money, extra money, to give me his shield and lucky1's ST board and FW together. It looks (to me) the exact same thing this PinballSP is doing?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Difference is that UncleSash is a private person and not running a business. He organizes a group buy of shields and solders them as a private service for the community. Pinballsp is clearly a business as stated on top of their facebook page, which needs to make money of his products.
Steve and I also do the codeing just for fun and not for personal profit. The only thing I ask for is a small donation for our charity project I like to support. So if somebody thinks that the money he paid is adaquate to the private time we invest, he should really step back, think twice and have a look at the prices for other products which are commercially sold out there.

Okay, that's what I was trying to figure out. My translate never said anything about a business, just "we" (with no definition of who "we" was..)

#53 8 years ago

Question for you guys -
Is the large power supply ready necessary?

When I plug in my STM32 board via USB to my laptop, there's enough power there to light up the display, and not trip the 500ma watching on my USB port.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Looks great!! Is this a microcontroller based platform or is it ARM based running some form of Linux? For simplicity and startup times it would be nice if there is some form of programmable microcontroller option.

Same as Lucky's board -
It's a microprocesor - ST STM32 processor. There's no noticeable 'bootup' time - apply power, and the splash screen immediately comes up. If the FW was open source, you could modify the FW and hide the splash screen and go directly to displaying pinball input.

#78 8 years ago

Wonder if anyone would be curious..

I'm thinking about making a small power board. It's mount to oone (or two) of the display's mounting screws, and the high-power AC from the transformer (which would normally plug into the display driver board) would plug into it, and it's give up to 4A of +5v, which should be *plenty* for these LED displays. If noone's interested, I'll just make one for myself (since I hate having a large PC-style, or arcade-style power supply in the cabinet...), but thought I'd check here. The PC-board mount power supplies are expensive, though (like, in the $30 range), so that would likely write almost everyone out.

2 weeks later
#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

II take it his board is only used to power the panels, right?

i can answer this part, at least - I use it to power both the LED panels and the STM board and shield. (It powers everything for the display.)

I'd be curious how much more amperage this board would take with the stronger processor, wifi, etc. That may push the whole system over 4a.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

4A is enough to provide power supply to two leds panels ??. Currently I install a 5v 10A power supply, and seem everybody suggest minimal 6-7 Amperes. Chinese provider replied to me that each panel need about 3-4 Amperes, so two panels will need 6-8 Amperes.

In the test I ran - full brightness, white color, on TZ over two 30-min games, the amperage for EVERYTHING (both panels plus controller boards), there was never more than 2.3A drawn. (2.28a, I believe, but I rounded up.) This included LITZ mode on one game, and powerball on both. (Heavy animation, bright lit, etc.) This did not have any frame-keying done, no palette switching, etc. And, in case it matters, I'm also using the PinLED display driver board, which Lucky can attest, uses a different timing mode than normal WPCs. I doubt that a different timing mode, however, can over double the amps drawn.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Very interesting, I never thought that two led panels may require 10 Amperes, do not understand why all I have read suggest install a 10A power supply, when may work perfectly with a 5A power supply, that is cheaper.
I want test it, with ALL leds ON, probably this never happen with a real game, but in theory its possible all leds ON, and this will be the real maximum amperage that may require the led panels. I will modify firmware to run a test that put all LEDS ON to know about it.
At any rate, I have checked price difference between 5A and 10A commercial power supply and its only 2 Euros en Europe. And price from China for a 10A power supply is only 6 USD, so probably it is not important put 5A or 10A power supply because of price is very similar. I do not know how much is your cost, but if a full assembled power supply 5V 10A has a price of only 6USD, do not know if worth to manufacture and assemble by hand.

I did this not for cost, but because I have a strong diversion to having an arcade power supply sitting in the bottom of my cabinet, and having to either plug it in manually or cut into existing wiring. So, the board I made takes the transformer input, which normally plugs into display driver board (for WPC/-S machines), so no wire cutting, no manual plugging in power supplies, and it's all mounted to the back of the display, out of the way.

WPC machines have a display test, and the two screens before the Paging Tests are All On, and All Off. I can run a test tonight and measure.

Edit: Here you go. I even included a picture. This is pin2dmd's "white", at full brightness on v2.07.

White:
IMG_20160331_204905_(resized).jpgIMG_20160331_204905_(resized).jpg
Blue: Interestingly, blue took the least amount of amperage. And sorry for blurriness:
IMG_20160331_204923_(resized).jpgIMG_20160331_204923_(resized).jpg
And my custom deep orange color, which very very closely matches plasma displays:
IMG_20160331_205028_(resized).jpgIMG_20160331_205028_(resized).jpg

I did the other colors, if anyone wants a reading on a color, lemme know.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Blue LEDs are most efficient. How about red and green? Red should consume the most of the 3 and green should be somewhere in the middle.

Okay, I can't find my Red picture. I'll need to re-test that tomorrow. Green:
IMG_20160331_204932_(resized).jpgIMG_20160331_204932_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

What's the bleeding problem?

Some panels have green that bleeds out from the active columns into areas that are supposed to be 'off'.

Not all panels - mine, for example, is perfectly fine, but there are pics over at VPU that show the effect.

1 month later
#465 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

I don't know exactly why, but so far I only hear concerns from competitors, but not from customers?!?!
And it's always the same people...
Come one guys, it's an awesome piece of Software. Lucky1 and Steve45 keep the motor running and as far as I can tell, I don't see an end of support! If it happens one day I'm sure it will be given in good hands.
I have seen and supported the project from the very beginning, ordering the very first displays and so on and I'm very proud of helping the guys where I can and being (a small) part of a team of supporters!!! I was ordering a larger amount of hardware before it was even clear if they would sell or not. Even when it turned out that on the first run I was adding 5,- on each panel I continued! And guess why?
Because I believed in Jörgs and Stefans work! It has not been for the money, but for the development of a very cool idea.
How does it come that so far only 1 (I only know from this particular guy) device was sold from customer?!?! Because it's a rubbish piece of sh*t???
By the way, shouldn't I be really p*ssed off that Luis jumped on the train and is "stealing" customers?
The only thing that wasn't correct was the beginning with a modified firmware. Now that things have been clarified everything is fine!
Just my 2 cents,
Dom

Fine. I've kept my mouth shut, because I know nothing is going to change, but I'm a customer, and yes, I share those concerns. Mainly about the open-source issue, but the others worry me as well.

Happy?

2 months later
#590 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I formatted a new FAT32-card (2 GB) and put it into the memory card reader, started pin2dmd.exe, changed palette and display brightness, selected bally/williams as the machine and saved config. Still in the "virtual pinball" mode. I took the card from the memory reader and put it into my computer: no files present on the card. Apparently there are problems with the pin2dmd:s reader then. I'll contact pinballsp about this.

When you saved it, did you actually save it to the SD card? I don't think there's any code in the FW to actually *remove* files.

10 months later
#731 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I'm a ColorDMD user and supporter, but I'm really disappointed in how they handle their patent and have to try and threaten anybody who colorizes games. It seems like they think anybody who does this infringes on their patent which is just not true. I can understand why they do this from a business perspective I just do not like it. Reminds me of how PPS Rick spews BS sometimes (Capcom patent for example).

Didn't the PinDMD/Pin2DMD guys have the LED panels working before ColorDMD anyways? I thought ColorDMD didn't start releasing their LED panels until after Pin2DMD was out.

2 years later
#926 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Huh? I have a PIN2DMD and have colored games

Quoted from tjc02002:

Pin2DMD has full color replacement possible for most games.

Rdoyle1978 , I am a little confused about your rep;ly to him. You both seem to be saying the same thing?

1 week later
#963 4 years ago

With a lot of tweaking, I got a good set of RGB I used to emulate the plasma. Difficult because some of the dimmer values don't translate to the LED board, sadly. (At least with the FW, controller board, and panels I use.)

1 year later
#1177 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Try WRITING to the card and if the write fails at 8GB,

Yup - I always do a FULL (not 'QUICK') format on SD cards when ordered, to make sure they go 100% through before using them. Luckily, have had very few issues, but it is good to be safe.

#1179 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

The QUICK FORMAT won't really expose the fake size issue,

You are correct. I said <b>NOT</b> a quick format. If you do not run a QUICK format, it clears out all the locations on the drive. It takes forever, but it's complete.

2 months later
#1227 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

As a control you may also want to try one of the original ROM images vs a patched version to rule that out as a variable too.

9.4H should not be patched, and OEM/Original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 7.50
$ 9.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.