(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucky1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

278 posts in this topic match your search for posts by lucky1. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

With PIN2DMD Colorprism you get a pinball color dotmatrix display replacement solution using STM32F4 processor with the industry’s highest benchmark scores for Cortex-M-based micro controllers. It currently uses either the STM32F407 discovery board together with a shield PCB which forms a modular future upgradeable solution or a custom controller hardware (not modular).

Currently supported features are:

Real pinball machines:

- WPC/WPC95 real pinball input
- Stern real pinball input
- Whitestar real pinball input
- DataEast real pinball input
- Stern Spike real pinball input
- Gottlieb real pinball input
- Capcom real pinball input
- AlvinG real pinball input
- Spooky AMH
- DataEast 128x16
- Sega 192x64
- DotMation 192x64

Full colorization using
- Pinball Browser / SmartDMD color switching for full color Stern ROMS
- Frame colorization with PIN2DMD Editor by Steve for all pinball machines

Virtual pinball machines with support for
- Visual Pinball / PinMame USB input
- Future Pinball with DMD interceptor DLL
- Unit3d Pinball
- Ultra DMD (currently 16 shades)
- XDMD (full color)
- PinballX (full color with latest version)
- The PinballArcade
- PinballFX

- WCID Windows automated driver installation

The attached images are showing the two available options for hardware:
- EVO128x32, EVO128x16, EVO192x64, EVO256x64 custom board
- modular shield design using STM32F429 Nucleo-144 board
- modular shield design using STM32F407 Discovery board

All information how to build a pin2dmd can be found on pin2dmd.com and on https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

The shield designs can also be used with the go-dmd clock project from here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-godmd-clock-made-in-germany

You can download the latest version here
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/archive/master.zip

To upgrade or install follow the instructions from here
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/documentation/Pin2DMD%20installation%20-%20FW%20and%20Driver.pdf

When you start the device for the first time you get a unique ID displayed starting with #.
You have to request a activation key to make it work.
Members of the hall of fame and content contributors get the key for free by sending me a PM.
For the rest, we kindly request to send your UID and username with the donation link in my signature below.

You have to place the key file in your pin2dmd.exe directory or rename it to pin2dmd.key and copy it to your sd card.
evo128x32b (resized).jpgevo128x32b (resized).jpgevo128x32f (resized).jpgevo128x32f (resized).jpgevo128x16f (resized).jpgevo128x16f (resized).jpgevo128x16b (resized).jpegevo128x16b (resized).jpegevo128x16c (resized).jpegevo128x16c (resized).jpegevo192x64b (resized).jpgevo192x64b (resized).jpgevo192x64f (resized).jpgevo192x64f (resized).jpgimage1-1 (resized).jpgimage1-1 (resized).jpgimage2-1-768x576 (resized).jpgimage2-1-768x576 (resized).jpgpin2dmd_discoveryV3 (resized).JPGpin2dmd_discoveryV3 (resized).JPGpin2dmd_nucleoV4 (resized).jpgpin2dmd_nucleoV4 (resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

We often discussed a design like that which is not to hard to realize, but so far we don´t know which potential future changes make it necessary to add something to or change the hardware design. That´s why we decided to keep it modular until we run out of ideas or ports. That way you only have to swap the low cost shield to add new hardware features without throwing away the complete hardware.

#20 8 years ago

Difference is that UncleSash is a private person and not running a business. He organizes a group buy of shields and solders them as a private service for the community. Pinballsp is clearly a business as stated on top of their facebook page, which needs to make money of his products.
Steve and I also do the codeing just for fun and not for personal profit. The only thing I ask for is a small donation for our charity project I like to support. So if somebody thinks that the money he paid is adaquate to the private time we invest, he should really step back, think twice and have a look at the prices for other products which are commercially sold out there.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, that's what I was trying to figure out. My translate never said anything about a business, just "we" (with no definition of who "we" was..)

You are right. For the given price "we" could also have produced the shields by children in china and make big money.

#30 8 years ago

No problem ! Welcome !

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

As for the firmware, one of these days I will speak at length, because some "people" non-Spanish speaking, seems to confuse hardware with software. I have never said that DMD ST32 will go to market with some third party software pre-loaded, either Open Source or not

It seems that his first post on facebook together with the picture of a display with our logo on it gave a wrong impression. Now that he made things clear, that he is only making and selling the hardware without the pin2dmd firmware on it, there is absolutely no legal problem with this and obviously not a violation of our license. So any private person who is want´s to try this hardware with pin2dmd is free to do so and will get a key from us.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

I'm glad that everything has been a misunderstanding and this all cleared
pinballsp people as lucky and make greater our love of pinball

Thanks for helping

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Question for you guys -
Is the large power supply ready necessary?
When I plug in my STM32 board via USB to my laptop, there's enough power there to light up the display, and not trip the 500ma watching on my USB port.

You have to make sure that you don´t power the display with your usb port otherwise you may kill either your usb port or your controller.

#69 8 years ago

Sounds like a good plan as long as the software also stays non commercial, which is also a part of the license.
I love the idea of retiring and having time for something new if somebody with better skills takes over.
I have some motorcycles here which are waiting for a restoration.
When will the second version with wifi be available ? I think I have to play with that.
About the 192x64 displays, I already made a test run with 1/32 scan panels and the mpu is fast enough
but memory could become a problem. Was thinking to change to the 429 disco board for that.

#89 8 years ago

There is only one thing that is better than power - more power !
Did you change the code for different clocking otherwise you are running at 168mhz.
The transfer from the pinball or to the DMD is not the problem. These speeds are limited by hardware anyway (bus speed).
Recognition is hardware accelerated and may not be a problem either, but that depends on the amount of variants you want
to check. Realtime picture processing (colorization) is currently the most mpu and memory intensive but we are currently
working on an faster routine for that.

#116 8 years ago

Seems to be the same I was using for a timing test at 192x64. The timing was already for 3 of those in a row although I only have one.

IMG_5846_(resized).JPGIMG_5846_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#135 8 years ago

Luis from pinballsp and me already had a talk about that and we agreed that pin2dmd will support his new hardware including the wifi part. We also had a talk about the needs for pin2dmd and he modified the latest layout accordingly. We will add wifi as an alternative to usb to capture dmd output from real pins to be used with pin2dmd editor. OnScreen menu and setup through wifi from a mobile phone sound fancy but don´t make any sense to me. SD card is also a part of the concept of pin2dmd to make it easier to preload with pin specific data. The board will be a nice alternative to the current shield / evaluation board combo. Currently I´m waiting for Luis to finish the boards and hope he will send us 2 soon for further development. We will see where this gets.

#138 8 years ago

As I already said we see Wifi as a USB replacement and therefore it will cover all aspects of the current USB tools, like settings and upload of data from a laptop, but I don´t think we will have a Apple or Android App for this. What I can also think of is having a live stream of what is displayed on the DMD to a PC for tournaments.

#139 8 years ago

btw. just added import of .dmc files from setdmd tool for real pinball machines to the pin2dmd.exe tool. There already is a large database with color presets for different machines like this one here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d2x0he8q6beg2ak/7Y-J6BCxwv

#150 8 years ago

Great Luis ! Can´t wait to test the 427 with pin2dmd. Already found the "perfect" firmware for the Wifi.
Should be pretty easy to get this running.

#169 8 years ago

I would suggest to first start with the 427. It should be usable with current pin2dmd binary without modification. It will run at 168Mhz and use 192k RAM then, since neither the clock settings nor the linker script is modified to do any other. It should behave like the current pin2dmd hardware but leaves us the option to use more ram if necessary (192x64) with minimal modifications. If we change the clock settings we have to adjust several timings again. The F7 is nice but would behave different, i think. I will ask Steve (pin2dmd editor) to share his opinion here also.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Unless it's a huge amount of work to adapt the firmware(s), then I really do think it's unwise to start on one and later move to another, especially when the latter option is available now.

We already have 250 pin2dmd devices out there in use which I want to keep compatible

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That's a pretty small number. Especially if your firmware is going to be just one of several used on this hardware.

Then it is even better that Luis is offering the hardware with different processor options. I won't drop the users who supported pin2dmd project from the first day. 427 it's strong enough for our needs. If someday not, I would directly go to fpga.

#203 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm thinking if the PinballSP firmware reproduces the exact plane clock timing as the original plasma displays it shouldn't be a problem.

That would mean that you display every plane when it is received which on the other hand would mean you don´t have the information about the color value. You need to add 3 frames of WPC to get the value since it creates the 2 bit color depth by sending the second frame twice. You have that ghosting also on monochrome displays but it is not noticeable since it is a shade of the same color.

#205 8 years ago

Please check with the 2.08 binary from github also. I can send you a activation key if you send the ID Number on the boot screen.
Is the board with 405 working ?

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Just today I have receive LED panels, most 160*80mm to do standar 128*32 DMD, but also I have receive 3 panels 160*160mm 1/32 Scan to do SEGA 192*64 DMD.
I mut to check it yet, but surprise me that there are only 3 letters A, B, C to address rows, instead of four letters A, B, C, D, so understand that internally some lines are really split in 2 x 64 pixels but connected in same line for shift register. I must prepare some firmware test to see how this data bus scan rows-cols.

That part of the job is easy but there is the other part which is the data input from a real machine.
I asked one of our contributors who has access to such a Sega machine to do a recording with a logic analyzer and send it to me to see how data is sent.

I have done some research and found that only these machines use the 192x64 display
Roach Racers, Batman Forever, Merry Shelleys Frankenstein, Baywatch, Maverick, Apollo 13, Derby Daze

What I can offer is to try to make a special release of pin2dmd with one devicemode and which only uses a fixed palette and no advanced features like keyframe or Editor support. Since I only have one panel, Luis can do the testing with 3 panels in a row for the boot screen.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Apollo 13 doesn't use a large display.

Right ! I misread the article at ipdb.org

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

I wait now reply from provider about led panels P2.0, I think are available, and even small P1.9 or P1.85mm.

http://www.hongguitech.com/30-p2-small-pitch-led-displays.html

They are available but not with 64x64 pixel. Only 48x48

#226 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Yes, I may use it for test purposes, but not to install in pinball. Seem its hard locate a 2mm pitch led panel, most are larger than 64*64 pixel and very expensive.
So finally I think solution will be develop it with TFT and Raspberry or Beaglebone Black, I know very well Beaglebone so I think I will use it.

That´s already done by Dr.Pinball at a reasonable price using a raspi http://www.drpinball.co.uk/dmdextender.htm but with the same problems ColorDMD and SmartDMD TFT solutions have - the screen is too large.
If you find a cheap source I would rather go with 8 panels 48x48. You end up 384x192mm which is the closest you can get to 390x130mm and just don´t fill the upper and lower 16 rows with content.

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

So I just read through this thread and have been following a similar one over at VPuniverse. First off excellent work from everyone invloved. Finally an economical solution for the DIYer. I'm a bit confused when it come s to powering these setups. Is the external 5v supply really necessary? I feel like there is a ton of (now useless) power that could be taped into within the cabinet to drive this type of setup. Specifically for WPC, what about the 100v or 80v (J605) lines that normally run to the DMC? What about the 12v line (J606) that runs into the DMC? What about the power coming out of the DMC (J604) meant to run a plasma DMD? These panels can't use as much power as a traditional plasma display, right? Isn't there a converter that can take the higher voltages and filter them down to 5v? What about something like this
ebay.com link » Supernight New Dc Dc 12v 24v To 5v 5a Step Down Regulator Module 25w Converter

Coyote has already done a pcb to convert the 100V to 5V which can be used as an alternative. The used power supply is also capable to be sourced with 100V so it should also work when you connect it to J605 instead of mains, but I didn´t test that. Either way this should be a separate pcb since it depends on the machine you use the board with. e.g newer Stern already have 5V or Vpins have a PC power supply.

#241 8 years ago

M

Quoted from Crash:Having a harness to use the existing 100vAC would be great, like what Coyote did with his custom board. I didn't realize the 5v 10A PSU you are using would accept 100vAC. This will eliminate the need to run extra line voltage into the backbox.

Most switching power supply work from around 90VAC upwards

#259 8 years ago

Nice !
I started to implement wifi already. First test was good so far !
Need to make a version with wifi support of my tool now.
Think I´m ready to test when the boards arrive here.

#271 8 years ago

Great job Luis ! Will add wifi integration into pin2dmd firmware when the test boards arrive here.
I will not use the firmware with LUA and AT Commands for the ESP8266. Integration with an alternative
firmware will be much easier. Will have a webfrontend to config the wifi SSID, password, AP or client mode etc.
and a modified version of my tool to do the device communication.

1 week later
#297 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Yes, sorry, also work with all WPC95, no problem about it.
Now Im testing with a friend what pinball may need remote power supply. Current version with power supply attached to Led modules has a depth of 5.5cm, I want to be sure that may install without problems in most pinball.
I know that Safe Cracker need remote power supply, and may be some more models.

Pin2DMD Firmware V2.0 firmware currently supports

- WPC
- Stern SAM (with smartDMD colorizing)
- Stern Whitestar
- DataEast
- WPC95
- WPC with PinLED board

Currently in development is
- Stern Spike real pinball input
- Gottlieb real pinball input

Need some testing on real machines to make that work properly.

#306 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is it safe to assume Sega Whitestar is good too? I know Stern modified it at some point, but I imagine not the DMD hardware.

Every generation of Stern devices is different in terms of DMD. Whitestar uses 4 shades, SAM is 16 shades, Spike is also 16 shades but with totally different timing. I tested pin2dmd V2 with LOTR last weekend and could finish the new code with auto sync. V2 uses full speed framerate processing of data, while V1 had to skip several frames due to old slow color routine.

#310 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

You may have misread my question. I was only asking if >Sega< Whitestar is included when you said "Stern Whitestar" is supported. I guess it's unlikely Stern modified the DMD when they took over Whitestar.
Just to make it very clear, I mean this platform:
http://ipdb.org/search.pl?mpu=33&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced
versus this one:
http://ipdb.org/search.pl?mpu=41&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

Until someone tests it, I can´t approve, but I´m confident that it will work. So far pin2dmd has been tested with
LOTR and T3 to be working.

#319 7 years ago

I don´t know why Luis thinks SD card and STM32F4 is too slow. Frame replacement is already working with the current design and V2 firmware in full color. Look at the proof of concept we did with a Dr. Who machine. What has to be improved is the keyframe detection, but that has nothing to do with power.

#320 7 years ago

and here with logo replaced by version with more colors

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It's not a quote. Based on what has been found 99% of games will work, at least 99 out of 100. The only exception so far seems to be Safe Cracker. I'm also wondering about Cirqus Voltaire.

CV has already been tested with V2.0 of pin2dmd firmware

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That's a relief. I was typing a post and looking rather sad whilst doing it. IMO that would have been a disaster for the project
Will it allow full frame recolouring? I.E. the entire frame, not just the active pixels? Can it drive it at 120hz?
Also, that latter video looks like there's really good control of bleed and excellent contrast. Are you using a film?

First question is already answered if you think about it.
We already ran tests from 40hz to 200hz and worked fine.
No Film, but we reworked the output routine to reduce as much as possible.
Still have some ideas to make it even better.

#333 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Do you think its interesting manufacture controller board with F746 microcontroler ??, I may do it in one day, manufacture PCB, and full assembled board in one week. But this board only will may install F7xx Cortex M7 microcontrollers. Also I may add HUB75E support for P2 panels, to work with SEGA 192*64 displays and try to add holes to fix it to P2.5 and P2 led panels. Current F4xx binary is full compatible with F7xx.

So far CPU power is not the problem. If you want, you can test the F746 with the Sega boards. When I made the proof of concept with my
64x64 panel, timing was not the problem. Memory was more critical, since the big screen needs 3 times more than 128x32. For now I will continue to develop with the F4 until this one is exhausted, which is not even near from current perspective.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Is it true that the SEGA size panels won't work with the software?

Yes, problem is not only the software it is also the hardware.The SEGA size P2 panels have also a different pinout and signaling. P2.5 panels I used for proof of concept had at least the same pinout.

#338 7 years ago

Since the V1 opensource version is not stable and missing a lot of features it is not recommended and supported
to use it. It is just for educational purposes and not for daily use.

For your convenience I added a .DFU file of the latest PIN2DMD version 2.x to the github directory here,
so you can directly jump to point 5 of the instructions.

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/raw/master/firmware/latest/PIN2DMD.dfu

After a successful update you should see the PIN2DMD logo together with a number on the display.
Please send this number together with your forum member name and a donation to support our charity project
(orphans home) ( e.g. 10$ per device but we also accept more and send it to me using this link

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=QNNL5UDYRH4MA

You will receive a activation file for the full version of pin2dmd including the editor from Steve
You either have to rename the file to pin2dmd.key and copy it to your sd card or place it with the original name
in your pin2dmd.exe folder and start the tool without command line argument (gui mode).

1 week later
#352 7 years ago

He is using standard female header 2x4 pin soldered with about 1mm space between pcb and the header bottom.

#358 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Hhhm, now we have to choose between F427 vs KINETIS board? I thought everything was worked out for the firmware, but now you prefer a different platform and its firmware - KINETIS.
I thought this was all clear sailing, and the choice was easy, as it seemed this was the first integrated and complete solution with a reasonably powerful processor - F427. Now it looks like I got to jump back on the fence again.
I know there's a hundred page thread on the other solution, has anyone been keeping score and can point out the key differences? It sounds like the most significant is related to the firmware license? Anyone want to elaborate?

The problem is that Luis still refuses to respect our copyright and publishes videos and photos of his device in action without mentioning that it is running pin2dmd firmware. Instead he published a video with the pin2dmd logo removed and replaced by his own and the logo of a customer of his. You can see it here
https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp/videos/1031448373602065/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video
I only asked him to add a copyright link to pin2dmd.com or to simply mention pin2dmd in posts about features or videos or photos, but he prefers to refuse that and that way continues to pretend that it is completely his development. Still hope that he changes mind.

#361 7 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

So are we saying now that I have purchased a board (F427) which will NOT support Keyframes, and also will not be officially supported by Lucky1??? As opposed to what was previously stated above?

Absolutely NO ! The STM32 board you ordered from Luis will be supported by PIN2DMD. PIN2DMD already supports keyframes frame replacement, smartDMD colorization, virtual pinmame etc. What Luis is telling is that he is starting his own software project based on the source from Eli (ecrutz) which he then can sell commercially.

#364 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I guess recognition is the sticking point.

Right ! The current status afaik of RGB.DMD and the published sourcecode version of PIN2DMD is single palette only
for all games. The only thing I asked for is that Luis mentions PIN2DMD if he describes features of it or shows it
on pictures or in videos in action.
The reason for this, is that people know that there is an advanced version of it and eventually make a donation for our charity
project to get the V2.X version. I don´t want to waste my time supporting users who are running a very old "proof of concept" version
an telling about problems that are fixed months ago. I want to have the users use the best version of pin2dmd but currently
they don´t even know about it because Luis removes every mark of it on his facebook page what ever the reason for that is.

Here is a video of the 2.x version with full color Avengers done by Sharkky using both SmartDMD and Keyframe technology to achieve.

#367 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Cool stuff! I can't wait to start messing with it. What's the deal if I get multiple displays, do I need to buy a licence for each display?

You need a activation key for each board you use. We ask for a donation of 10 Euro each.

@Rubberduck
If you achieve that colordmd and pindmd3 also release their sources we will for sure follow. So far all the guys talking about contribution and sharing had pure personal or financial interests. We started off with a voluntary donation system and collected 250 Euro in 4 month. Since we changed we were able to donate about 2000 Euros. We already cooperate with Eli, Oga and others and shared a lot of information. In fact Eli was one of the first who had access to our source before he released his code. I also offered to Luis to get access to the latest source if he adds a feature to the open source version which is worth adding to V2. But currently from all the features he was talking about and that he says is capable to add to the firmware, the only thing he did was exchanging the boot graphics which is obviously not a feature we want to add. Maybe Luis should say something about why he is not mentioning PIN2DMD or now RGB.DMD on his website when he is talking of the features of his products.

#370 7 years ago

One funny fact to add is that NONE of all the person asking for the code to be released donated ONE single dollar or contributed anything useful to the project while the others who did are totally happy with the situation.

#374 7 years ago

No problem to talk to him ! No Problem with a splash screen. I can even make a version which detects DMD ST32 and then displays a special splash. Commercialize the software is not an option. Reason for this has been discussed here for hours. It´s time that Luis shares his opinion about this and maybe tell us why he doesn´t want to put credits like "to be used with PIN2DMD" or "designed for PIN2DMD" on his website.

#378 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

This is news to me. I don't think I've ever seen any of your code other than glancing at which systems were supported in the version you posted to github.

I sent you the link to the source on github on the 6th of october weeks before the link to the repository was made public.

Quoted from rubberducks:

You can continue to contribute however you like, with no fear of reproach provided that a solution containing software which (allegedly) violates patents is not offered for sale in the US. If one is, in contempt of your wishes, it is not you who's liable.

I´m not sure but I think that is not true for the US patent right. In the US you can even been sued for using something in private which is patented in the US.

#380 7 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Well im the crabby pinDMD3 guy lol. Im not crabby with pin2dmd just what happened before that was created!

I´m also crabby about the guy who wanted to make money of it. Made my account in vpforums useless.

#385 7 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Probaby the best move for pinballsp is to either write his own firmware or work on the open source rgb.dmd firmware. I could never sell a product that relies on some one elses firmware to work which could be turned off / unsupported at any second way too risky. You need to have full control or some sort of license contract to protect your self and your buyer's.

You are right !
For his own firmware and his intention to use it commercial it is best luis takes rgb.dmd as base . Since he continues to produce dmd st32 as an alternative to our stm32f4 discovery board shield customers still have the same choice as before. Rgb.dmd or pin2dmd. Competition is good for the users in the end.
Colordmd e.g. has never before released so many titles in such a short time.

#397 7 years ago

Luis is absolutely right ! His board is and will be supported by pin2dmd since it is the same hardware 200+ users are already running. It is just a replacement for our STM32F4 discovery board / shield solution. Wifi support is already integrated in the latest version from the STM32 side but I haven´t finished the ESP code yet.Due to the fact that he uses RGB.DMD for his own development there is also no problem to sell the KINETIS board with preloaded firmware commercially as soon as he has it running.

#403 7 years ago

PIN2DMD uses currently 2 techniques to colorize . One is smartdmd, for which Luis needs the approval from Oga84 to implement and the other is based on frame checksums. Ecrutz and I already agreed on the same algorithm to be compatible. If Luis uses the same, the tools can easily be made compatible which was the intention for PIN2DMD and RGB.DMD in first place.

#405 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is pinballbrowser support going to be added to both?

SmartDMD = PinballBrowser

#409 7 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

for me, to advance the colouration and there is a shared library, the editor would have to be free for everyone to collaborate.
I'm waiting for the dmd luis, and I have several sam machines, and have drawn animations, but I can not color because I have no license to pin2dmd editor.
not having the dmd I can not ask for the license.
regards

You don´t need a license to start your project in pin2dmd editor. The only functions which need a license are the ones to export data for the pin2dmd device. For SAM machines I recommend pinball browser to do the coloring and use pin2dmd editor only for scenes when pinball browser doesn´t work. Sharkky just finished Avengers that way. There was a bug with SAM recordings from vpinmame which is fixed in the latest version of the pin2dmd editor. You can now use it to trigger on sam animations correctly and replace the animations with your own ones using 16 colors using mark start - mark end - cut and assigning the scene to a keyframe. You are currently still limited to scenes without dynamic content like scores etc. Look at the tutorial at pin2dmd.com for more information.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

luky use the version vpinmame_SAM_2.29_pin2dmd_editor to draw animations, if I open it with pin2dmd editor v 1.0.12 animations show only 4 colors.

This version is too old !!

Quoted from the_barto:

if I open it with pin2dmd editor v 1.0.18 gives me the following error, java.lang.NumberFormatException: for input string: "w" and the editor is closed.

Please upload your dump file for analysis of the problem.

Quoted from the_barto:

I've looked at pin2dmd.com and can not find the manual on how to do with pinballbrowser.
use as a translator do not understand very well what you have spoken above.
with pin2dmd and pinballbrowser I can get:

Why should we write a manual for pinball browser ?? Pinball Browser is from Oga83.
You can find more information here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/43#post-3154217

Quoted from the_barto:

* I can color as colordmd?

I don´t understand ! You can´t use ColorDMD ROMs for PIN2DMD if that is what your asking.

Quoted from the_barto:

* I can color each animation with 16 different colors palettes?

Yes ! For Stern SAM & Spike preferably using pinball browser for all others using pin2dmd editor.
Both with their current limitations.

Quoted from the_barto:

* I can color the entire animation firm with a single palette of 16 colors?

Yes by creating a single palette with pin2dmd editor and load it on the sd card.

#414 7 years ago

Your gzip file seems to have a problem. I extracted it and compressed it again using 7zip with gzip as setting
and it worked instantly.

Quoted from the_barto:

what I mean whether you can color point by point, the style dmdcolor
thanks for your time and answers

Given that you want to color World Poker Tour which is a Stern SAM game and already uses 16 colors I advice you to go the pinballbrowser way. Maybe I add a short manual how to do that in the future, but the information in the thread is more comrehensive.
If you have a 4 colors game like WPC etc. you can replace complete 4 color scenes with 16 color scenes using mark start - mark end - cut , then edit with 16 colors and add a unique - non dynamic - keyframe as a startingpoint for the replacement.

#416 7 years ago

Currently testing

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

the idea is to color and wpt both spiderman sam stern, but always talk about real machines, not virtual machines

use pinball browser

#420 7 years ago

Take this sample config from here
http://pin2dmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/smartdmd.txt

You can change the colors of the palettes by holding CTRL key and klicking on it.

#422 7 years ago

Looks great !! Please remember to share your result with others and upload the final project somewhere
I just wrote a short tutorial here
http://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/

#425 7 years ago

Nice wishlist ! What about you taking the challenge ?

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Stuff like this rarley EVER works. First you need to get everyone to agree to a standard. Then you will have people wanting to be paid for there coloured files or people keeping them private. It just never works!

I think this is only true for projects which are commercial like yours or colordmd. If you get paid, I would also expect me getting paid, if I do the work for you or I would keep the work private. Thank god only a few are money hunters and that is the reason why already some great colorization has been done for pin2dmd like Avengers, Mustang, TWD etc. The reason for squabbling is always the money and people acting selfish and unethical.

#445 7 years ago

You have to remove the SMD resistor next to the wifi chip and solder two jumper pins instead, but if you have a ST-Link interface
it is the better way anyways.

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Not like it quits working if lucky stops development.

Sure ? That´s why I added wifi

#468 7 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

especially given that true open source stuff appears to be in the pipeline. Patience is worth it.
--Donnie

From my perspective this pipeline is loooong given that Luis has to do the device code modification and the editor code totally on his own, but we will see. Currently he is busy with something else

If you have patience why not wait for ColorDMD to release the source of the device and the editor to the public

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I'm genuinely amazed at the speed of progress and I'm impatient to order something just so I can start playing with it.

... and more to come.

We will have finished adding these features soon :

- multiple different detection masks instead of one mask for better detection of dynamic content (need to test speed of detection)
- add colors to 4 color frames instead of complete replacement. Working with dynamic frames
(already in editor but missing implementation on device. Maybe this evening)
- Stern Spike signal input with colorizing support using pinball browser (already working but needs some testing)

Here is a video of the last test. One pixel offset should be fixed now

#477 7 years ago

Very nice Luis. Even makes it easier for me as a developer to play with other systems or test other processors.
That is why we started the pin2dmd system as a modular system, to make it easy to add new hardware features
without having to throw the whole board in the trash. Given that with the next release of the controller board
all hardware / interface functions are fixed, we can start to swap processors

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

These things are hard to photograph..
Is there an up to date tutorial for doing key frame palette changes?

It is on pin2dmd.com in the editor section

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from the_barto:

good morning, I have a problem and do not know what I'm doing wrong. I try to explain what happens to me.
I have a wpt, I've put a dmd led rgb, I've created a palette file, smartdmd, will charge the firm and coloring each sequenced with the desired palette.
apart from selecting the palette well, I change the color fields of the sequence.
when I finish I keep firm, I put it in a flash drive and update my machine sam.
I also put my color palette in the dmd as indicated by the manufacturer.
While the result is not desired, the scenes do not have the color that I have given them even a scene out of different colors each time.
someone knows I'm doing wrong ?, I'm skipping some way?
not if you do something wrong with frames or modify after the firm must be compiled again before putting it in the machine.
hardware environment and software used:
dmd ST32 rgb led pinballsp
pin2dmd v2
pinballbrowser latest version.
do not know if this is the problem but if I open again in pinballbrowser firm and open an already modified sequence, selection palette appears none, not what I assigned, but if I see the color that apply
I feel my English but I'm using a translator
greetings and thanks

Please share your pinball browser smartdmd.txt and pbm file to have a look what is going wrong.

#495 7 years ago

From what I can see from the video it seems that the palette information in the upper left corner is overwritten by some dynamic content.
We can fix that with keyframe recognition. Give me some time to investigate it further. I´m currently deep into another problem I have with my ST Pro.

#497 7 years ago

pin2dmd.exe uses the onboard usb plug not ST-LINK.
ST-LINK is only for firmware programming and debugging.

Quoted from Nepi23:

I send a question to Luis, but though that perhaps I will get answer here sooner:
- I managed to activate my device by copying pin2dmd.key to SD-card on my computer
- I am using ST-link, have attached my laptop via ST-link to the LED-display and have the LED-display
powered from the pin
- I for some reason cannot use "Pin2DMD ColorPRISM v2.10" to program the SD-card located on the pinball LED-display
however: nothing happens when I try to adjust colors, try to change brightness etc.
Could I load the default color palette onto the SD-card by putting the SD-card via card
reader to my computer and e.g. by renaming the .dmc file to something else?
This is the ST-link programmer I am using:
https://images.pinside.com/d/d2/dd2d01b91b883972d9d75ef5f36e3b56d381f881/resized/large/dd2d01b91b883972d9d75ef5f36e3b56d381f881.jpg
I did not have to install drivers for it separately, the "STM32 ST-LINK Utility v3.9.0.exe" installed them
already.
Edit: could it be that the pinball machine should not be powered on, instead the ST-link programmer should
be used and perhaps another USB-cable from laptop to the LED-display to provide more power?
Thanks for any help!

#503 7 years ago

Yesterday evening finally had the time to finish Gottlieb/Premier integration into pin2dmd

#504 7 years ago

V2.20

!!! renamed palettes.dat to pin2dmd.pal !!!

- completely reworked sync routine. Now resync is lossless. No artifacts on resync
- working Stern Spike input for colorization with pinballbrowser
- working Gottlieb input

- New colorization feature : increase colordepth of 4 color animations 16 Colors) . Working with dynamic frames (score display etc. )

Use latest editor version

-> cut scene with "Mark Start" - "Mark End" - "Cut" and select scene

-> Check ColMask ->

-> edit scene with tools (only colors 4 to 15 available for drawing)

-> Select Keyframe where to start playback of additional colors (same as startingpoint of scene)

-> Assign Scene in FrameSeq Dropdown

-> Add ColorMask

-> export project and copy to device

- increased number of detection masks to 10

#506 7 years ago

Basically yes. It is described at pin2dmd.com in the editor section

#509 7 years ago

Could you share your project files including recording to investigate ?

#511 7 years ago

Background animations are mostly random. In STTNG it was possible to choose the keyframe which wasn´t affected by the random stars even without using a mask. You can see what is used for detection in the little preview window next to the keyframe checkboxes.

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is it possible to access the RNG that creates these animations so their checksums can be exhaustively colorized?

You want to modify the ROM file of a WPC machine to make a scene predictable ?

I had a look at the dump of a FT machine and unfortunatelly the bubbles are part of both checksums. However since the start from the
bottom it is easy to use a mask, like Kneissl already did, to hit the start of the animation.

In TZ e.g. I used one frame before the first TZ Logo with stars to trigger correctly. Sometimes you have tweak a bit to make it right.

#518 7 years ago

Just in time

#520 7 years ago

to be packed in the next package to germany

#524 7 years ago

Has been a pleasure to work together with Luis on this new version which supports all new and upcoming features of pin2dmd color prism firmware and new go-dmd clock version. A special "topper" version is planned which can be used as a large scale DMD display during game play and as a clock with animations when pinball machine is off. Here is a preview video of go-dmd from Steve

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is this one of the final versions of the DMDST32 kit?

Who knows, what ideas we come up with in the future. For now it covers the features we are currently
working on. As you might know pin2dmd was planned as a color RGB LED controller for virtual pinball
machines in the first place and now it does a little bit more and more and more and more ....

1 week later
1 week later
#542 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Some pictures I have here about DMD working with Attack from Mars and The Theatre of Magic. In one week I will receive P5 panels to prepare TOPPER KIT.
About Topper I want check a new option for hardware and firmware, currently seem only two options, one mirror DMD to Topper, second Animated clock with no connection to pinball. There is one more option I want develop with new hardware to connect to MATRIX SWITCH and/or LAMP SWITCH to run special animations (not mirror DMD) according with status of switches and lamps.

I don´t see any sense in using additional resources for switchmatrix capturing as you already have the "best" information about the gameplay by detecting dmd frames/scenes. We already have a serial port on the board we could use to control additional hardware (e.g. rgb stripe controllers) by a dmd event and we already discussed that option, but currently that implementation has very low priority. I don´t see any sense in adding new hardware features, when this hardware is not used due to a lack of software support in the near future.

#546 7 years ago

The license only covers the software and since pinballsp and rappelbox only sell hardware, there is obviously
no license problem. We already had this discussion when the pinballsp hardware came up.
The hardware is not only made for pin2dmd, but also for go-dmd clock and as a platform for other developments.
We still don´t give out pin2dmd activation keys to dealers. The private user still has to request the activation key
from us. It is just an alternative to DIY stm32f4 disco board solution. Nothing less and nothing more.
I don´t care which software they put on the device as long as it is not based on the old 1.x version since this
would clearly be a license violation.

#548 7 years ago

... just like anybody can sell STM32 discovery boards and create a shield for it to be used with pin2dmd.
Nothing new with that. However since there is no reference design for the custom boards it is the task / risk
of the designer to make them work 100% with pin2dmd , go-dmd and the other projects. I can not give any
support / help for hardware which I don´t know / own.

1 week later
#556 7 years ago
Quoted from JackBurton:

Got my licence and everything but when I connect it to colour prism I can edit the screen and it changes in realtime (colour/brightness) but when I save the config I dont think it saves, and it doesnt work on my STTNG then. Anyone have an idea of what else I can try? Thanks

Did you insert a SD card to save the configuration on ?

#572 7 years ago

New Version

V2.32
!! removed redundant device modes (PinLED,WPC95 => Bally/Williams, Classic Pinmame)
You may need to reconfigure your device using e.g. pin2dmd.exe
- added realpin Capcom support
- added realpin Gottlieb mode for early machines (1992)
- adjusted Gottlieb modes to latest vpinmame palettes
- added onscreen menu (hold config/blue button during boot) for basic config
- first release with wifi html interface (see flash.md) for basic config
- added reset function for wifi (hold menu and press option button)
- added support for serial port for control of additional sub devices and palette switching

#574 7 years ago

Together with Rappelbox (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/rappelbox) from germangamingsupplies.com we were able to develop a special PIN2DMD firmware for 192x64 displays in the last weeks. It will be usable for vitual pinmame and real pinball machines. There is still some testing on real pinball machines to be done before the hardware can be ordered. Unfortunatelly the current pinballsp hardware is not usable because the layout doesn´t fit on the P2 panels. For vpin builds it will also be possible to use the cheaper P2.5 64x64 1/32 scan panels. After having finished this proof of concept phase he will now design a new Kit which will, as a appreciation for his constant support, be exclusively available from him. Activation of the firmware and support of our charity projects will be as usual. testing and dev will still take a few weeks, so please be patient. For more information please contact him.

Here is a video running Sega Maverick on P2 panels

and here a video of a windowed 128x32 machine in vpinmame.
With the P2.5 panels the display size will be exactly the same as the original machines.
The display size will be 46x16cm in total.

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm not following this part, then again I haven't been reading every post either. I was under the impression we needed P2.0 panels in order to fit a Sega 192x64 game and the current P2.5 ones are being used for testing/toppers.

You are ripping this out of the context. The display size of the windowed vpinmame display like shown in the video will be like the size of the original pinball display which is 128x32 with P2.5 dotpitch. In 128x32 mode it uses only the center area of the 48x16cm display. These will only fit in a custom made vpin machine.

The panels shown in the video are P2.0 which will fit in the original Sega machines.

1 month later
#596 7 years ago

New version 2.33 with Spike and Gottlieb sync changes on github
Also improved upgrade procedure for wifi firmware.

#602 7 years ago
Quoted from Bdkorn:

What technology wise would it take for PIN2DMD to use an LCD (laptop type screen) instead of the LED array?

... a other controller It is not planned to support LCD because this is already covered by smartdmd or DMDextender as a DIY solution

#603 7 years ago

I just uploaded the new shield PCB design on github which can be used also with go-dmd clock project from here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-godmd-clock-made-in-germany#post-3263156

It has basically the same functionality as the black custom controller from Luis (which is also supported by go-dmd). It has the new features like Wifi, RealTimeClock, Temperature and Humidity Sensor, Serial RS232 connection for SubDevice control or side channel, signal enhancer etc. It can be mounted piggyback on the P2.5 LED panels. The shield is meant for the DIY community or as a cheap upgrade for older shields. Your existing STM32F407 discovery board can be reused. No need for a new key etc. except you plan to use it with goDMD.

Here is the github link https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware

I ordered my prototype PCBs here http://www.elecrow.com/services/pcb-prototyping/10pcs-2-layer-pcb.html

image2 (resized).JPGimage2 (resized).JPG

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

So the Pinout of this Pin2DMD setup is the same as on my Alvin G & Company Pistol Poker machine. Will this work on my pistol poker?

We won´t know unless you try it, because I don´t have one. Even when it is not working we can try to make it work if you are willing to put some time into it.

1 week later
#609 7 years ago

There are mainly two solutions. One is modular using a STM development board (V3 shield) and the other is a fixed configuration custom board (pinballsp). They both work the same way. The modular is upgradeable and the custom board is smaller (for very tight mounting situations)

3 weeks later
#618 7 years ago

Capcom is already implemented and tested on a Airborne. You can increase the color depth up to 16 colors per frame using pin2dmd editor, but you have to do the colorization yourself.

1 month later
#621 7 years ago
Quoted from dkeruza:

Is there any palette repository or place where people upload palettes for the games?
Thanks

vpuniverse.com is a good place to ask for.

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

i bought the DIY $99 kit from Fast Pinball. I have the revision 3 shield/Discovery solution from UncleSash. I don't see a way to plug the shield directly into the display because there is too much of a gap. I realize this board was not specifically designed for the Fast mounting bracket, more so for the custom board Aaron has in progress. Has anyone found a solution to this? I am assuming I will need to lift the board up and connect it via a ribbon cable using the input on the top of the board.

Can you post pictures to show what the problem is ? I have my shield mounted like this

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/gallery/image/918-side-view-of-the-pin2dmd-go-dmd-v3-shield-mounted-on-a-p25-panel/

#625 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I have it sandwiched the exact same way. My problem is, even with the FAST mounting bracket removed, the board's black RGB DMD female header on the bottom side is not plugging into the connector on the back of the display. It doesn't even feel like it's reaching far enough to plug in. It hits the little alignment nubs sticking out of the frame surrounding the display panel.

Can I get around this by lifting the shield assembly up enough to connect a short ribbon cable to the display panel and connect it to the output connector on the top of the board instead?

I think UncleSash has soldered the piggyback connector wrong. You need to use an elevated connector to make sure it connects correctly.
Please contact him about that or use a ribbon cable. You can see that there is a gap between the connector and the pcb here in my shield.
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/gallery/image/919-pin2dmd-go-dmd-v3-shield-bottom-connector/

2 weeks later
#628 7 years ago

You need to copy the complete folder from github not only the exe.

1 week later
#630 7 years ago

New Release on github V2.36
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/archive/master.zip

Instructions on http://www.pin2dmd.com

real pinball machine improvements

- support for AlvinG and Spooky real pinball machines
- support for signal enhancer on V3 shields (check setting for WPC, DataEast, Whitestar, Gottlieb and Spike real pinball machines)
- faster frame update routine on alle machines except Gottlieb and CapCom

Pin2DMD.exe tool improvements

- added advanced colorpicker to edit custom palettes.
- import palettes as .dmc or .pal file
- added offline mode for config. If no device is connected config files (pin2md.pal, pin2dmd.dat) are stored in directory
Works also with (pin2dmd XL for sega machines)
- added upload button to frontend
- improved real pinball dump routine in pin2dmd.exe tool

virtual pinball improvements

- added support for modular dmddevice.dll driver interface. Currently supported by VPinMame 2.8, PinballX and UltraDMD with modified XDMD.DLL and XDMDNative.DLL
- dmddevice.dll loads palette files from %pinmame dir%\altcolor\%machine name% directory
copy your pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq files to that directory
- support for SmartDMD sidechannel protocol (e.g SpiderMan VE or StarTrek from Sharkky)
- added support for pin2dmd colorization methods to DmdDevice.DLL from freezy.
Now every VpinMame user with DMD on 3rd LCD screen, pindmdV3 or pin2dmd can use 16color palette files and colorization made with Pin2DMD.Exe tool, Pin2DMD Editor from Steve or PinballBrowser from Oga83.

That opens up the frame by frame colorization possibilies of pin2dmd to the large userbase of vpin players and owners.
Their shared projects can then be used in real pinball machines by every pin2dmd owner with little modifications.
(e.g. upcoming release of Stern StarTrek and Spiderman VE from Pin2DMD Vpin owner Sharkky).

Tool 2.36 (resized).pngTool 2.36 (resized).png

#631 7 years ago

SpiderMan Vault Edition by Sharkky

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just came across this thread and have lots of questions. While I am happy to do my own research, I do have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to concisely answer and point me in the right direction.
1. Will this work with a Williams Getaway (WPC 1992)? If so, has anyone done one that can share pics & details?
2. Can I buy a kit somewhere that includes all the parts or even the full assembly? If so, where?
3. I'm assuming you colorize yourself? How do you get the DMD source code?
4. If compatible, how does this compare to ColorDMD and reasons to choose this over that?
I'm sure I will have more questions, but these should get me started in the right direction.

You will get an answer to most of your questions on www.pin2dmd.com

#634 7 years ago

I uploaded a collection with color palettes for 141 pinball tables here

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/4371-color-palettes-collection/

1 week later
#636 7 years ago

If you use a version 3 shield you may need V2.36 on the board and have to check the signal enhancer checkbox.
What is the status of the diodes between the 2 buttons ?

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I have a v3 shield, yes. Can't remember if I tried the signal enhancer option, will have to check. Which 2 buttons are you talking about, which board (Discovery or shield)? Am I looking for LEDs?

The 4 LEDs between the 2 buttons on the discovery board.
Since you have a V3 shield I recommend checking the signal enhancer checkbox
for Gottlieb, SAM, Spike, Whitestar and DataEast.

#641 7 years ago

Did you check the signal enhancer checkbox in pin2dmd.exe and save this setting on SD card ?

#644 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm having trouble saving my settings. When I turn the display on it has my palette and Data East settings on the screen. When I connect it to the computer and launch pin2dmd.exe the settings change on the LED screen to the default palette and virtual pinball setting, which reflects what is shown in the program. If I close the program and restart the Discovery board by powering it off and back on it's back to my customized settings I have on the micro SD card.
Clicking save settings after making changes, including checking the signal enhancer box, doesn't do anything. Then I close the program and reboot the Discovery board and open it again and see the settings are back to the default with no signal enhancer checked.

You are not getting USB data from the controller. Maybe your USB cable is broken. As a workaround. You can use the offline mode of pin2dmd.exe by starting without usb connection and copying the pin2dmd.dat and pin2dmd.pal from the pin2dmd.exe folder to your SD Card. You can also use the onscreen menu by holding the blue option button on the discovery board during start. You can navigate by using the other 2 buttons on the shield. You have to disconnect pinball signals first.

1 week later
#650 7 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

For what it's worth: it looks like your board has the signal enhancer bypassed according to the text on the board. so if you checked signal enhancer in the tool this might cause an issue.

The bypass jumper is specific to the board of uncle sash. I´m not sure it works at all that way.

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

IT WORKS!! Removing the LS123 and jumping the pins fixed it. Thanks for all the help!
» YouTube video

If the picture is correct with the LS123 removed you did not have the Enhancer checkbox set in the software configuration. Otherwise the picture would be 1 pixel shifted to the right.

#657 7 years ago

It is fine that way. The LS123 is mainly needed for SAM and Spike. At least we know that the enhancer bypass jumper is not working as expected on the shield of Uncle Sash. I will have a test with a data east machine to verify that it is not a software issue.

#659 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm sure I checked it, but it's fine now. No shift, no issues at all. Thanks again. Hopefully this will help others should they encounter this problem.
Starting palette for TFTC, I'm leaning towards orange/yellow/green.
» YouTube video

I got informed that there is a layout problem with the shield design of Uncle Sash The wire bridge is the only way to get it working.
So the solution is very specific to that version of the shield.

#661 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Any advice on running the Java PIN2DMD Editor on Linux Mint (Ubuntu)? I see the software relies on Apple's Cocoa API (I copied the .jar from the Apple .app file). Can you point me to the Ubutnu version you were running in those screenshots? I only see the Windows and Mac version listed on the downloads page.

We did´t use any Linux version for the screenshots.

1 week later
#671 7 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Hey lucky I believe I have this same shield version from uncle sash. Do you know the exact version that is affected? Do you have any recommendations on a way to fix the issue so we could use the signal enhancer(like run some jumper wires and cut some traces or something? I know it's not your board design so I don't expect you to be thrilled about it, sorry about that... if you don't have any suggestions could you draw up the signal enhancer pinout so I could figure it out myself. Thank you very much for any help!

I don´t have any further info. Please contact Uncle Sash. Since he already made a new version of the shield, he should know better what went wrong.

#672 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

When I create a keyframe, change the palette colors with the keyframe selected, and change to another keyframe (or press Esc to deselect/save the keyframe colors) the palettes for the keyframes don't save. The palette doesn't change from the previously chosen colors when selecting a different keyframe or when playing the dump past the selected scene. Anything I might be missing? I watched your video and followed what you were doing.

Sounds strange to me how you describe the process. First you need to create a palette and then you assign the palette to frame
as a starting point for the switch to that palette by hitting Add PalSwitch. If duration is 0 the palette stays until the next switch
or lasts for the number of milliseconds. Make sure the frame is unique and repeatable.

#676 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Ok, when playing with a keyframe selected I didn't realize it would not update the palette on the next keyframe. I created 5 keyframes, each one assigned to a palette. This works so far, but clicking mark start at the first keyframe and mark end at the fifth then clicking cut to create the scene still doesn't switch palettes when playing the scene. The program is certainly cool, I'm sure I must be doing it wrong.
» YouTube video

You are using mark start - mark end wrong. You don´t need a keyframe at start and end.
Simply move to your start point in the recording using the scrollbar - press mark start -
move to the end point - press mark end - and then press cut. You then can edit the scene
using 16 colors and replace the existing scene by adding a add frameseq keyframe at the starting point.
You have to select the scene in the dropdown of course.
For simple palette switching you don´t need mark start - end. If you want to hold the palette for a certain time move to the endpoint of the palette and press fetch duration after having assigned a keyframe.

Here is a short intro to the editor
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/tutorials/article/1-intro-to-pin2dmd-editor-for-rom-colorization/

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The solution has already been explained for Data East games. My understanding is if you remove the chip needed for Stern games, affected boards won't work for Sterns.

They will work but might have very rare glitches on SAM and Spike games.

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Sorry for the very basic question --- I did look set this thread but didn't read each message.
How does one
1) Acquire the HW for this?
2) Get a list of colorized games?
... Altan

Thanks for the summarization from Tom.

To answer the second question.

AFAIK currently fully colorized from community members are

- Stern ACDC from PinballMikeD
- Stern Metallica from PinballMikeD and J_M
- Stern Family Guy from MonsterBash
- Stern Spiderman Vault Edition from Sharkky
- Stern StarTrek from Sharkky
- Stern Avengers from Sharkky
- Stern WorldPokerTour from Sharkky
- Stern Mustang from Sharkky
- Stern Pirates of the Caribbean from Sironzelot
- Stern Shrek from Toon
- Stern BigBuckHunter from Sharkky

To get the colorization files please contact the authors or ask at the vpuniverse.com forum.
You need a registered version of pinball browser from oga to create these color patches.

This project is non commercial from Steve45s and my side which means that we personally don´t have any profit
from the pin2dmd software development we do (far more than 1000 hours so far).
However we kindly ask for a 10 Euro donation (or more if you want) for activation which we fully forward to charity projects like children with cancer or orphans home. You can also read about these projects over at vpuniverse.com.
To make it easier for end users, community members put together hardware kits which are sold commercial or as group buys from various sources mentioned above.

1 week later
#689 7 years ago

Please send me your project files for verification.

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Forgive the stupid question, if I wanted to get the software and play around to try to color my game, Rocky and Bullwinkle, what would I need. I'm not talking the color dmd and the parts to actually put it in the game, just what I would need to start working on it on my computer.

You can download the latest version here

https://dl.bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/

#695 7 years ago

Awesome work !!

I have created a new thread about colorization projects

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-led-color-dmd-user-colorization-projects#post-3614042

2 months later
#699 6 years ago

New version V2.39 is on github https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

general

- added support for pin2dmd editor V2.0 in firmware and dmddevice.dll
Editor from Steve can be found here https://bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor2#files

- automatically playback boot.fsq from SD on startup
(sample in pin2dmd.exe folder)

virtual pinball improvements

- added support for v-pin export (not usable on real pins)

real pinball machine improvements

- improved Gottlieb support
V1 for machines from '92
V2 for machine from '93-'95 (Shaq Attaq)
V3 for later machines
- set default mode of enhancer to ON
- enter menu mode if any user button is pressed during boot

1 month later
#702 6 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Hello,
I have a problem with my display.
It worked fine during two or three months but now when it is started:
I have a first screen with "pin2dmd colorprism v2.33"
A second one with "pin2dmd Bally/Williams"
This second screen is displayed until I turn on my pinball machine.
And when I turn on my pinball machine, the second screen dissapears and nothing else is displayed.
I recreated the SD card & I upgraded firmware to V2.39 but same result.
If I change the color in the config file, it is changed in the two first screens. Thus, the SD card seems OK.
I tested my display in two different pinball machines that work both with a standard DMD.
Any clues to solve my problem ?
Thank you.

There seems to be no data coming from the pinball machine. Check the pixel data signal. Contact the person you got your pin2dmd hardware from.

#705 6 years ago

What is the LED status on the controller board ? Any LEDs blinking fast ? If possible make a video of the LEDs

#716 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You must distribute the bitmap images (copyrighted content) if you want more than 4 colors. Because instead of telling PIN2DMD to use a color for each shade, you are instead telling it to replace the frame with another piece of content entirely. There are 4 shades built into the original display architecture. If you want to exceed 4 colors you must import colorized (modified) custom frames (copyrighted content).

That is not true. With colmask editing mode the pin2dmd editor from Steve is actually saving only the additional content generated with the pin2dmd editor and not the original content in the real pin exports. Only in replacement mode it is storing the complete picture information. So only if you take the original picture as a basis for your colorizations in replacement mode you are distributing copyrighted content in your real pin export. If you create your own (e.g. retheme) or use colmask you definitely don´t.
If you use pinball browser from Oga84 to colorize Stern games it is the same. It only stores the changes made to the picture in the generated pbm file.

Quoted from Darscot:

Oh right, I forgot you can patent anything in the US. Not that I blame ColorDMD for wanting to protect their work. But they should not be able to stop people from working and sharing stuff for free. The idea of patenting the detection of an image or frame is pretty silly, it's everywhere.

Detecting data pattern by the use of checksums is common knowledge and not patentable. I doubt that any part of the code in pin2dmd is covered by the colorDMD (US only) patent and as long as there is no court decision to the contrary any additional discussion about it is absolutely senseless.

PIN2DMD is not made to be a cheap DIY colorDMD alternative. It is meant for those that want to have unique colorizations, owners of machines that most likely never will be done or V-Pin owners.

#723 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The same group behind the Pin2DMD (Lucky1, Steve, and Rappelbox) has also worked to create knockoffs of PinDMD, the Run-DMD clock, and Pinsound.

It seems that bad mouthing and telling fairytales is the only way colorDMD can convince their customers to buy their product ? Very professional sales strategy !!

Here is the truth

- pinDMD (just like colorDMD) did not exist using the RGB LED panels the date pin2dmd was released. Furthermore pindmd3 and onscreen DMD would still not be enjoyable in full color without my contribution to pinMame and freezys dmddevice driver. So in fact I helped to make (and maybe sell) it better.

- runDMD clock AFAIK does not exist in full color until today. There also is no editor available to generate your own sequence of animations.

- DataEast Sound Pi is a project from smyp that Steve only uses in his JP. Steve, with the experience made with pin2dmd, convinced smyp to "NOT" release the code as open source to make sure it stays a DIY project and to avoid that some "clever businessmen" start to sell it.

#726 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

As Lucky1 has now supported with evidence in his previous post...
The same group behind the Pin2DMD (Lucky1, Steve, and Rappelbox) has also worked to create knockoffs of PinDMD, the Run-DMD clock, and Pinsound.
If you respect the time, investment, innovation, and contributions of these original projects, please support the businesses created to bring them to market and provide for future development. We really do appreciate it!

Wow what a conspiracy theory. Maybe you should wrap some kitchen foil around your head before we start reading your thoughts and take over the world

large_bor_170126_0305_c0b3cc41_pinky_und_der_brain (resized).jpglarge_bor_170126_0305_c0b3cc41_pinky_und_der_brain (resized).jpg

#738 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

It's a bit ironic that the original topic of this thread (still visible in the browser url) was "stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom". Lucky1 was the first to cry foul about another project misusing his IP, yet continues to defiantly justify his own behavior.

... and it has cleared up as a misunderstanding in the end. He was talking about hardware and we were thinking about software.
It can sometimes be confusing, especially when a spanish and a german guy a talking to each other in english

We asked colorDMD multiple times to show us exactly which lines of code infringe their patent exactly, but never got an answer to that.
All they repeat again and again is that it was their idea. I may remind you that although they may not believe it, but even in the US a principle or an idea alone cannot be patented. Given that the only thing we have technically in common is that we both bring color to dmd pinball machines. They admit that this can´t be covered by any patent saying that it is allowed to map 4 or 16 shades to 4 or 16 colors but also claim that pinball browser and smartDMD is infringing their patent !!!??? I think it is just their unprofessional way to deal with competition because they are not used to it and don´t know how to do better.

#742 6 years ago

And again nothing specific.

Who files a patent about a hobby invention anyways ?
For most members of the community, like me, it is enough to see that other members like it.

The only thing you use it for is to keep your monopoly and to threaten other inventors.
This worked well with pinballMikeD and smartDMD and other members of the pinball community because
the US is not only famous for insane patents but also for irrational court decisions.

So you are not only a inventor but also a innovation brake. Remember, we introduced pin2dmd long before
your LED version was announced. So if you are the real innovator of that technology, what took you so long ?
The advertising panels have been on the market, long before we started our project.

And yes we have stated in an e-mail that thank god we don´t have to care about such stupid questionable US patents like yours because we live in europe.

2 months later
#745 6 years ago

The instructions are on pin2dmd.com . Best place to ask for help is vpuniverse.com
GB should work with pinball browser from oga84 and in-frame coloring.
There is a thread about pinball-browser and its usage here on pinside.

2 weeks later
#746 6 years ago

Here are some pictures of the new V4.0 PIN2DMD Nucleo-144 shield. Due to the production change of the chinese advertising panels a redesign of the shield hardware was necessary. The new shield supports the piggy-back installation on all supported panel types (64x32 and 64x64). We took the chance to also change from the STM32F4 DISCO board to the more flexible Nucleo-144 board series.
We currently support the STM32F429 Nucleo-144 which more or less is the same as the discovery board but Nucleo-144 series offers a wide range of powerful processors (up to 400Mhz ARM7) for the future. Also on the picture is the DC-DC converter breakout board for better installation with 12V power sources.

- added support for panels with different RGB color sequence (GRB etc) (use onscreen menu to change)
- added support for 4bit high speed SD card access on Nucleo board
- store config also in eeprom
- PIN2DMD XL support on Nucleo-144 shield (public firmware Version 2.01)

All files can be found here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

IMG_9165 (resized).jpgIMG_9165 (resized).jpg
IMG_9162 (resized).jpgIMG_9162 (resized).jpg
IMG_9158 (resized).jpgIMG_9158 (resized).jpg

#748 6 years ago
Quoted from fly:

Will this work on the previous hardware version ??

The features of the software are the same. It actually uses the same source code just with different pin mappings for the nucleo board.
The difference is that the old shield was designed for the previous production type of the 32x64 chinese advertising panels. The new Nucleo based shield can be mounted piggy-back on all panels we currently know and support. That is p2.5 32x64 1/16 scan old and new (bleeding free) production type aas well as larger 32x64 panels. Also 64x64 1/32 scan P2 and larger panels are supported using PIN2DMD XL firmware.

1 week later
#749 6 years ago

To complete the support of DMD based pinball machine types we currently test Data East 128x16 with our new Nucleo-144 based shield. For a proof of concept we connected it to a original cherry 128x16 dmd board with a defective display panel we got as a gift from a pin2dmd user. First tests were successfull, but still some fine tuning to do.

IMG_9241 (resized).jpgIMG_9241 (resized).jpg

#753 6 years ago

There you have palettes for more than 141 machines. http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/category/86-pin2dmd-color-palettes/

#754 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Will the firmware be different? If so will you continue to make firmware updates for the old version as well? Please say yes.
Oh also, this looks great. Thank you for continuing the support for this and continuing to make improvements.
Thank you.

Of course we will continue to make updates / improvements to the old firmware.

#756 6 years ago

You can also use the pin2dmd.exe to create you personal palette.

#759 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Can I recommend including this on the shield? Would be a little more streamline to have this included.

The shield is designed to fit piggyback on all supported panel types. The different positions of the power and signal connector on the various panels make it impossible to find a layout for both power and signal together on one pcb.

#761 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Do any of these on that list feature full colorization? Or are they mostly single colors?

Those are only palettes, but you will also find all full colorized tables at vpuniverse.

#766 6 years ago

I guess it is working O.K. on a Data East Star Trek now

Checked it with the ST Display ROM on my Checkpoint.
That´s why some screens are not working or are garbled

#767 6 years ago

Data East Checkpoint is also working

Now we only need to finish the controller PCB and we have the first DIY 128x16 color DMD solution

1 week later
#769 6 years ago

If you are building it yourself it is still around 100$. For X-Files there currently is only a static palette I know of.

#772 6 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

You can do everytihing by yourself. All documentation, hardware and software avaliable. Or you can buy ready display. It will be around 200$

Needed files on https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD
Documentation here http://pin2dmd.com

1 week later
#776 6 years ago

I found this one from a pin2dmd user

#778 6 years ago

New version on github https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

V2.45

- fix bug with SD card reader
- fix reset crash in pin2dmd.exe tool
- updated dmddevice.dll with features from latest editor version
- new XL firmware 2.05 with support for newest bleeding free P2 panels

For DMDST32 use .dfu file in https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest/V3%20STM32F4%20DISCOVERY

#780 6 years ago

I think for vpin the new dmddevice.dll is enough (will support AFM colorization from vbobrusev)

1 week later
#786 6 years ago

PIN2DMD from my side is still a DIY project but there are some hardware suppliers that offer ready to use hardware kits like e.g. Rappelbox

#792 6 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

I'm almost done tweaking my MET Pro v1.70 colorization, but cannot find the "Combo Champion" graphic anywhere to adjust. See the attached photo - has anyone figured out how to properly color this graphic? Where is it in the code - I cannot find it.

Just saw that it is already answered in the pinball browser thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/51#post-4071773

#794 6 years ago

The only idea I have is that one of the characters uses a different palette. You have to make sure that all components of the picture use either no or the same palette. The pinball browser thread is the right place to ask for help.

#795 6 years ago

New firmware version v2.50 on github (v2.08 for pin2dmd XL). Finally found the time to add support for firmware upgrade from SD card.

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

One last update through USB and then for all future updates simply copy the pin2dmd.upd (pin2dmd_xl.upd for Sega panels) file to SD and reboot.

1 month later
#796 6 years ago

The DIY replacement solution for Data East 128x16 is now also complete. I just published the layout of the needed Dot Matrix Controller board on my Github account https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/128x16%20CONTROLLER
Thanks to Rappelbox and UncleSash for their support on the pcb design.

#797 6 years ago

Here is a picture of the controller board. I unsoldered almost all components from my defective controller board and reused them in this PCB, but the parts are widely available.

IMG_9742 (resized).jpgIMG_9742 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#799 6 years ago

PIN2DMD originally is a hobby DIY project, which means that you get all information to build it yourself from pin2dmd.com and https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD.

To use it with a 128x16 Data East machine you need as a hardware the a Nucleo-144 429ZI (25$), a pin2dmd V4 shield (piggy back pcb)(15$), the DataEast DMD controller above (15$), the display panels from china (50$) and either a DC-DC converter or a power supply.

Some guys of the community offer a soldering / hardware supply service which I don´t do. Best is to contact them over at the pin2dmd section in the vpuniverse forum http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/132-pin2dmd/

1 month later
#806 6 years ago
Quoted from stf_dnx:

Hi,
I'm quite new to this.
Is this possible to order a plug n play color DMD for a Super Mario Bros Pinball?
Thanx!

There are no commercial colorizations for PIN2DMD. PIN2DMD is a community project.
To enjoy your SMB in color you need the hardware which is available as a kit from various suppliers,
then you need a activation key for the PIN2DMD software and the colorization from
here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros

Read more on pin2dmd.com and on vpuniverse.com

#809 6 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

First off, thanks to all for the hard work on this project!
Like the poster above, I want to clarify/confirm how to order the kits. Is this the correct link to buy a kit in the US?
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2250-pin2dmd-order-thread-worldwide/
Then of course the actual panels need to be purchased separately, is this correct?
e.g.
ebay.com link » 1x P2 5 Rgb Pixel Panel Hd Video Display 64x32 Dots Pixels Module Dot Matrix Smd
Sorry, I am just confused as to which is the most current order method and want to confirm, and haven't made it through the threads on the vpforums.

From my side PIN2DMD is a DIY project and I only provide the technical details to build the hardware and take care about the software (www.pin2dmd.com).
Some members of the community offer help for those who don´t want or are not able to build the hardware themselves.
One of those is UncleSash from the link above who solders the pcbs in his spare time.
There are also others like Ozstick from Australia, Rappelbox from Germany, PinballSP from Spain (DMDST32), Pinballshop.nl from Netherlands, v-pin shop from germany just to name a few of them. Feel free to contact any of those.

1 month later
#818 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

I have one DIY PIN2DMD set for my pincab.
I wanted to put it in my Indiana jones Williams.
I've updated to last firmware and set to williams. But i had no sd card, not mandatory for pincab.
When i connect the pin2dmd to my pinball, it displays only pin2dmd bally/williams.
Can you confirm that i just need the sdcard, with key and palette ?
Everything is connected with dupont cables.

Since it is DIY please make some pictures. Maybe you forgot some necessary components or made a mistake with the riboon cable orientation. Should work without SD card with built in palettes

5 months later
#832 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

What could be the reason, is there a soldering guide to be sure about component orientation?
Thank you for your help !!

You are missing the enhancer (ENH) pinheader next to the LS123. You need to make a connection from pin 2 to 3 of the pinheader with a jumper or solder a wire bridge from 2 to 3.

#836 5 years ago

Did you buy the parts yourself ? Maybe the wrong resistor network ?
Please go into the onscreen menu by holding a button on the shield (not the controller)
during boot and test the input. Should say all pins open when no pinball connected.
You can test the pins by connecting pins 1,3,5,7,11 to GND one after the other
The enhancer setting on the shield needs to match the setting in the pin2dmd.exe tool.

#841 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I have had an issue develop that I hope someone can help me on. I have a older generation running on a Discovery board that I use in a test kit for repairing DE boards. It has run perfect for a couple of years. The other day it started not booting up with external power. On the Discovery board, the red led near the micro USB plug is not lit up and the blue led in the center is not lit up. If I plug the mini USB plug it boot up and works fine and the above lights illuminate. The weird thing is that once the system is up and running, I can unplug the mini USB and it continues to operate normally with the external power. It seems as the board is needing a "jolt" from the usb to boot and then it runs fine without it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

From https://pin2dmd.com/installation/

!! Note : Latest Discovery boards MB997D may need a ST-Link firmware update from here
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/development-tool-software/stsw-link007.html

#843 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

one additional question.
I've seen that for Stern, rom needs to be patched to work with colorization.
But will the rom still work well without a pin2DMD ? eg. i flash the patched-rom on Shrek, i play with pin2DMD, but if i want to switch back, shall i flash again the non-patched rom ?

The monochromatic shades might look different a little bit but it will work with the patched ROM

#845 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

If Inframe coloring is selected for sure the shades will look different. If sidechannel is used I suspect to that it will look the same. Does pin2dmd support inframe coloring?

Yes it supports inframe and serial side channel.

#849 5 years ago

Hi Henry,

sorry to hear that. This thread is about the DIY PIN2DMD project. Steve and I have no relationship to any of the suppliers offering hardware for our project. They all take the information from our website and github repository to put the pieces together just like all the private builders of PIN2DMDs. I hope that you receive your hardware soon. Maybe this thread from the shop owner is the better place to get his attention.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-sega-192x64-replacement

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

What firmware version do you have installed on the nucleo? It looks like the 128x16 support started at 2.43. Did you configure the device mode to be DE 128x16 in the config menu on the unit?
[quoted image]

You also need the 128x16 controller board. https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/128x16%20CONTROLLER

1 week later
#858 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

OK, I was planning to set 3 additional pin2dmd
I just received the 64x64 but sadly these ones are a single device, not twice 64x32
So I have to purchase again.
Any seller recommendations for europe/France shipment? AliExpress is still the best option?
And last but not least, what can I do with 3 panels 64x64??

I placed my last order here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-Direct-Wholesale-P2-5-indoor-led-display-module-P2-5-160-80-64-32-dots/1000001269484.html There is also a woman selling panels through facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007277389143 but I never tried it.

You can use the 3 panels for a Sega 192x64 topper with a nucleo based controller.

I also just recently published my order information for all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 manufactured at pcbway.com
It cost only 60 Euro each for a order of 10 boards including parts, soldering, shipping and tax. It is all in the zip file here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/EVO128x32
Technically these boards are based on the schematics of the latest Nucleo shield including a 5A DC/DC converter.
You only need the panels and solder panel power plugs to the pcb. Firmware installation is done through USB in DFU mode.
Here are some pictures.
IMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpg

#860 5 years ago

All spare are already gone.

#863 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Dear lucky
So I order 2 panels for eur 20 and 10 pcbs for eur 60, purchase a license and I am ready to go? No STM board or whatever is needed? The PCB looks like it is also a frame for the panels and can install direct in a Stern? Is also works with inframe coloring smartdmd?

It is 60 Euro for each PCB with a minimum order quantatity of 10 pcbs at pcbway.com.
It has the same features as the Nucleo shield solution (except Wifi) und supports 5V and 12V input power.

Quoted from Rensh:

And 1 other question, can the same setup also be used for a go-dmd clock?

Since go-dmd is not supported on the Nucleo shield, it is also not supported on the EVO board.

2 months later
#868 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Can it display multi-color animations (i.e., 16-color replacement frames that were custom-colorized by the Pin2DMD editor)?

Yes

#870 5 years ago

Did you try export for go-DMD under the recordings tab ?

#873 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

No I didn't before you asked,
but I just tried and no file was was created.
Actually there are a lot of options and I was hoping for some sort of guidance on how to export for foo.ini.
Here is a list of questions:
I expect that the first step is to load a project in the editor. for example I am working on colorization for Scared Stiff so I loaded this project.
When I export for DMD will it export all of the scenes that I have cut as part of my colorization work?
Otherwise, how would I choose what scenes will be exported?
How do I create a project with scenes from multiple games?
For the goDMD, there are some options - cycle, hold, fsk etc - what does each do?
When exporting for goDMD, there are some options - filename, I just entered foo.ani - is that OK.
RGB version - what is the difference between version 1 and version 2.
I am using editor version 2.5.05 32 bit.

I don´t thinks Steve is reading here, especially not about go-dmd. Please post your questions here
https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues

#874 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hello
Do you put a film or something in front of the pin2dmd to avoid seeing individual leds?
I'd like to reduce a bit this effect

As you can see here https://go-dmd.de/produkt/godmd-uhr-komplett/
use a non clear transparent acryl to reduce that effect.

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Has anyone had success getting color palettes to change in MET v1.80 code? I upgraded from 1.70 to 1.80 and I can't get any colors to load other than the "default" palette. All settings are the same - side channel, serial connection. Thanks.

roar uses the latest colorization in his metallica.

1 week later
1 week later
#882 5 years ago
Quoted from nworker:

1. I'm running W10 and would like to update the .pal file to have better brightness to color mapping. The pin2dmd menu system has changed from the documentation. Is there still a way to map brightness to color using the menu? If not, how does one do the basic mapping configuration.

Setting individual colors has never been part of the onscreen menu. You need to use the pin2dmd.exe tool from my github.

1 week later
#884 5 years ago

Which OS are you running ?

#886 5 years ago

Did you also install the 64 bit version of Java runtime ? This is needed for pin2dmd-editor-v2-64.exe to work.
You can get it here https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

pin2dmd.exe should work together with the DLLs you downloaded. To avoid broken downloads it is recommended to download the complete ZIP
which is available here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD as an option of the green button on the upper right.

3 weeks later
#893 5 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Hello! Has anyone else successfully made to order the all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 from pcbway? Even sharing lucky1's order information they don't seem to be able to supply them..
As an alternative, where can I buy the shields for the STM32F407 version?
Thanks!

Who not ? Normally they ask two or three questions and then everthing goes well. Just send them the zip file and ask for a quote.
I know at least 10 people who sucessfully ordered evo128x32 at pcbways.

2 weeks later
#895 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Built a goDMD using the VET6 controller. Thanks to SteveNZ for helping me through the whole process. Pretty nifty and it works well but lucky1 I can't say that it really works with 16-color animations the way it should. I find that it will not retain the palette assigned to the animation from the editor. It seems to want to use the same palette 0-pal0 (which is the default palette) for all the animations, so obviously all the colors are then incorrect. I could be doing something wrong but have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I have also tried to get a clue from Steve45, but no response to emails so far.[quoted image]

go-dmd is completely the project of Steve45 and although some things in common it has nothing to do with pin2dmd. I only tested it once and never created any animations for it myself So I´m not the best person to ask questions about it. Steve is currently pretty busy with his new project https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/
So maybe it helps to hitchhike his thread to get his attention instead of a pin2dmd thread or you just ask here
https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/dmd-uhr-made-in-germany-bestell-und-infothread.153282/

#897 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Built a goDMD using the VET6 controller. Thanks to SteveNZ for helping me through the whole process. Pretty nifty and it works well but lucky1 I can't say that it really works with 16-color animations the way it should. I find that it will not retain the palette assigned to the animation from the editor. It seems to want to use the same palette 0-pal0 (which is the default palette) for all the animations, so obviously all the colors are then incorrect. I could be doing something wrong but have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I have also tried to get a clue from Steve45, but no response to emails so far.[quoted image]

Thinking a little longer about it I think I remember that go-dmd can handle full color animations. Maybe you can try to export the colored animation as a gif (you always need to select the number of pixels to make it work properly) and reimport it as a scene again. That should convert it to full color and maybe work with go-dmd.

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

It can definitely handle full-color (16-color) animations, they are just not the correct 16 colors. I notice goDMD only has a "foo.ani" file on the microSD, unlike Pin2DMD which has a "pin2dmd.fsq" and a "pin2dmd.pal" file. It might be that goDMD needs a similar palette file to retain the specific palette assignment to each animation. In any case, all I was trying to do was get Steve45 to tell me whether my setup was the problem or the firmware was the problem, and he never really did (and still never has) answered, but I am beginning to surmise it must be the F/W. Anyway, I realize goDMD is not your project but you are always prompt to answer questions which I appreciate. I apologize for temporarily hijacking your thread. Keep up the good work on Pin2DMD.

Technically full color 24bit RGB and 16 shades mapped to a 16 color vga palette is something different. Like I said converting it to 24bit RGB with the above method may work. Please try.

3 months later
#902 4 years ago

Almost one year ago we presented the PIN2DMD EVO128x32 all-in-one controller board. The plug and play design received a lot of positive feedback and pinball ethusiasts from all over the world successfully built several hundred PIN2DMDs using the ordering information published on github. PIN2DMD firmware now supports Sega 192x64 display mode for almost 2 years now and is successfully running in more than 100 machines. One and a half year ago we successfully added support for DataEast 128x16 machines. To round things up I decided to also design a EVO board for my private DataEast 128x16 Checkpoint machine and my Sega 192x64 Batman FE pinball. To make sure that there are no errors in the pcb layout I ordered a test run (10 pieces) from the chinese pcb manufacturer called pcbway. They offer turnkey manufacturing service at a good price which means they not only manufacture the pcb but also source the parts and mount them on the pcb. All infomation can be found here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware. You receive a fully functional pcb and only need mount the RGB display panels and solder the power connector for the panels to the pcb to get a fully working pin2dmd hardware. The pcb uses the original power plugs like installed in the DE and SEGA machines as these connectors supply enough amps to drive the panels (not like WPC power DMD power plugs which would get overloaded) As always pcb design can be used free by everyone no matter if for personal use, to organize a group buy or sell them in a shop. I still don´t commercially sell any hardware. Here are some pictures of my testboards.

evo128x16b (resized).jpegevo128x16b (resized).jpegevo128x16c (resized).jpegevo128x16c (resized).jpegevo128x16f (resized).jpgevo128x16f (resized).jpgevo192x64b (resized).jpgevo192x64b (resized).jpgevo192x64f (resized).jpgevo192x64f (resized).jpg
#903 4 years ago

Video of PIN2DMD 128x16 in action

4 weeks later
#904 4 years ago

Firmware V3.04 is on github https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest

- add Inder / SPinball as devicemode and to autodetection ( = attached to a real pin in visual pinball / default mode)
- fix problems with some SD cards
- fix activation problem from SD
- fix display after boot.fsq playback
- fix switch of devicemodes from tool

All users who are currently on V3.03 should upgrade. Stable release is still V2.68

Btw There was almost nothing to do to make Inder / SPinball work because the signals are almost the same as WPC.
Only the clock is a little different which is why a new devicemode was added to autodetection.

Here is a short video from my test in a Bushido. Of course all pin2dmd features like frame to frame colouring are already supported for these machines. So if you want capture the frames using the USB interface, color them using the pin2dmd editor and enjoy your pinball in color.

#909 4 years ago

RGB.DMD from Eli only has basic coloring options which means mapping monochrome shades to a single fixed palette.
With PIN2DMD you can use Pinballbrowser from oga83 for Stern SAM games or PIN2DMD Editor from steve45 to colorize
all other machine types. The Metallica colorization from j_m_ e.g. is done using pinballbrowser and STTNG from slippifishi is one
of the colorizations done with PIN2DMD editor. I also just recently added Spooky color mode which supports the colorization of AMH
done by herg.

#911 4 years ago

How to use the pinball browser modified ROM files is documented here https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/
A good starting point for pinballbrowser itself is here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/38#post-2722290
PIN2DMD supports the same pinballbrowser colorization methods like SmartDMD (inframe and serial side-channel)

#927 4 years ago

I think they both refer to the posts from djb_rh.

#939 4 years ago

If only the palette is working there could be something wrong with the fsq file or the palette file not being for real pinball machine

#943 4 years ago

noitbe1 just managed to get his pin2dmd working with his P-ROC project

Communication is done through USB

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/page/8#post-5206509

#945 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s exciting! How do the animations get programmed? Is there some editor program for the P-ROC which can create DMD animations, or must he somehow create Pin2DMD masks and replacement frames for the entire game?

I don´t have any experience with P-ROC but before he used a normal LCD screen as display and now replaced it with a PIN2DMD.
Maybe you better ask in a P-ROC thread .

1 week later
#952 4 years ago

Thanks to the support of @noitbe1 PIN2DMD can now be integrated into P-ROC projects

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody/

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

... is there an easy way to set the palette to B/W orange? I don’t seem to see an option in the default palettes, which seems odd.

You can edit the colors of a palette with my pin2dmd.exe tool and save the pin2dmd.pal generated on the SD-card

#958 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Ok cool. So do I just drop that on an SD card and power it up? And then I can remove the SD card?

No that is a custom palette which is always read from the SD

#962 4 years ago

There is builtin orange palette but it is based on the RGB values of orange. A plasma is more brownish.
Even if I would add another preset palette there would be no guarantee that it looks like a plasma because there are
still some slight differences between the RGB panels depending on the LED driver chipset used by the manufacturer.
Consider the palette I uploaded only as a starting point for your own settings.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Is that more recent firmware? Mine are maybe a year or more old.

Latest version is 3.05 .

3 weeks later
#969 4 years ago

I had ro adjust the position of the pinheader for the ribbon cable a little to better fit into the cutout of the woodplate in my
DataEast Checkpoint. Now everything fits prefectly . Latest Gerber files can be found here

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/PIN2DMD_EVO128x16_RGB_LED_Dotmatrix_Pinball_Display_Controller.html

Instructions how to order are here

IMG_1803 (resized).JPGIMG_1803 (resized).JPGIMG_1804 (resized).JPGIMG_1804 (resized).JPGIMG_1806 (resized).JPGIMG_1806 (resized).JPG
#972 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Are you running my colorization for that game? :p

Not yet ...

1 month later
#974 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hey all-
Just installed my second Pin2DMD and am really impressed
I am running one in a Monster Bash which has a great custom colorized file. I have noticed that the colors sometimes don’t take effect immediately, and they right themselves after a moment. Is there anything I can do about this, like getting a faster SD card? I am powering the board directly from 12V. Would 5v give more reliable performance? Thanks so much!

I don´t think that this issue is performance related. It is more likely that the trigger for the scene is coming too late. Get in contact with the author to maybe let him fix this issue in his project file. Using 12V though a DC-DC converter (onboard on the EVOs) is the recommended way to power the display. It has no impact on the performance at all to change the voltage.

#987 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

I had a Pin2DMD in my TSPP, and that didn't have the same issues, but as i understand it, a different editor is used for those games?

TSPP is also a project done with the pin2dmd editor. In fact it was the first realized using this editor. Only Stern SAM and Spike system based games can be colorized using pinball browser.

The difference is technically based in how WPC machines create a DMD frame.

Speaking about transition effects. vbobrusev in TSPP e.g. blacked out the beer sliding transitions which means he simply colorized the content coming in with the beerglass all black making them invisible. That gives them no chance to disturb in any way. He told me that ColorDMD did it the same way.

So sometimes better looking means hiding the things that are not working. Coloring games is always a compromise.

1 week later
#990 4 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Currently I have a problem with my ST32 based screen running PIN2DMD firmware. In total I have had 5 or 6 PIN2DMD screens, 4 of which made by PinballSP. Two versions with the big power supply on the back (2016 black edition), and two versions with the small power supply (DUALW-version from 2017). The 2016 versions have all worked inside Bally/Williams machines and the 2017 versions inside Capcoms. Recently I sold one of the Capcoms and I wanted to use the 2017 display in my Scared Stiff (WPC-95). Unfortunately, I can't get it to work. 
When I switch on the pin and the display at the same time, no boot up logo appears and the screen stays black afterwards. A few bright dots might flash upon power cycle, but that's all. No DATA/ERR lights flashing. If I turn on the screen before the pin (or, switch on the pin with the signal cable detached), the PIN2DMD screen shows, indicating the fw version and BALLY/WILLIAMS. If I then connect the signal cable, it all works fine (DATA light flashes). So it seems the display doesn't boot when there is a DMD signal present (but only on WPC...).
Here's what I already tried:
1. Switch the 2017 displays between Capcom and Scared Stiff, the problem stays within the Scared Stiff machine (and the other display works fine in the Capcom)
2. Tried firmware versions from 2.36, 2.41, 2.68 and 3.05 (most recent), makes no difference
3. Tried to use the 2017 display in my Theatre of Magic (WPC-S), also does not work
4. Switch between external outlet (230V) and internal outlet (110V taken from J605)
5. Fiddle around with the Signal Enhancer settings
6. Added an extra ground lead from the braid of the pin to one of the GND connectors of the screen
7. Connected the pin to a grounded wall outlet
So far I can only conclude the 2017 versions do not work in WPC-S/WPC-95 machines, where the 2016 versions work ok.
Any ideas/suggestions what else I might try?

I must add that I´m already involved and came to the conclusion that this can´t be caused by the firmware because the bootscreen is not even showing which means the firmware is not started. It seems that this custom made board by pinballSP seems to be different at some point, because all the hardware designs I published on my github repo don´t show that problem. I assume that the board is stuck in the factory built in boot loader for whatever reason but I can´t tell for sure because I don´t have any of the DMDST32 boards for testing.

1 week later
#995 4 years ago

I received the pinballSP DMSST32 display from mgpasman and after a little testing I could solve the problem by removing a solder bridge and adding missing components on the pinballSP board. The components cost a few cents, I don´t know why he did not solder them onto his board. These components have been added to the official pin2dmd schematics long before 2017. Here are some pictures
image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpeg

#999 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Don’t let the word get out, he will be fixing a LOT of boards...

Definitely not. This is and will be the only board I fixed myself. Now that the info is there, everybody can fix it himself or let it be fixed by someone else. Thinking a little longer about it the reason why pinballSP did not solder the missing parts is most likely because he sold most of the boards with a hacked very early version of my firmware which did not support this chip (see picture attached) but had sync glitches instead. I will see if I can find a workaround in my firmware to make it work without the missing components but soldering the missing parts is the best way to keep compatibility.
f5fdb2b3e9125c88968ba04a38728e3eo (resized).jpgf5fdb2b3e9125c88968ba04a38728e3eo (resized).jpg

#1001 4 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

While this really is a shitty practice, in all fairness I should state that my DMDST32 was not sold with hacked firmware, but with unregistered PIN2DMD firmware (I bought 2 keys for them with @lucky1 back in 2017).

The majority of devices with this firmware were sold to the southern countries like spain, portugal, italy.

1 week later
#1002 4 years ago

Just added support for spanish Sleic pinball machines to the upcoming V3.06 PIN2DMD firmware. Here is a little test of the Bike Race attract mode. I did a quick colorization of the Bike Race, Sleic and Petaco logo to test full colorization features of PIN2DMD

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

get me some complete dumps

When I have finished my work on the firmware I will record a complete dump using my pin2dmd tool.

#1005 4 years ago

New version on https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

V3.05

- add usb raw transfer directly into displaybuffer for better speed with P-ROC and MPF
- show activation status in onscreen menu

V3.06

- add Sleic / Petaco to devicemode and autodetection
- add DE128x16 mode for TMNT and CP to autodetection
- change timing of autodetection

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Any relatively simple ways to turn this thing into a clock? I know there have been DMD clocks in the past, but never followed in much detail.
--Donnie

https://go-dmd.de/ can be used with the discovery shield based pin2dmd

#1011 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

V3.05 Was awesome. Is there any little improvements with V3.06 for P-ROC?

No !

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It looks like 3.05 made the display more responsive. Is this the case ?

For P-ROC and MPF yes !

3 months later
#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hi all -
I am having a recent problem with my Pin2DMD. When I play a few games on the machine (Williams MB), after a while the display goes black except for 2 lines, it’s like the Pin2DMD shuts off and the LED panel is just powered on.
Has anyone had this issue? Nothing I can do in the game will reset it - however I can power cycle the game and everything is fine again.

Which firmware version ? How do you power your display ? Does it also happen when no colorization is installed ?

#1022 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Recent firmware version - I will confirm exact number. Display is powered from the game (not external power). I will test without colorization
I have had this board working in the game for at least 6 to 9 months working great, no changes. This just started happening a few days ago

Where exactly did you get the power from ? 12V POWER, 12V DIGITAL, 5V DIGITAL ? What is also possible is a issue with the SD card.

#1024 3 years ago

J138 should be fine. Please update to the latest 3.12 version and try the following:
- rename yor pin2dmd.pal & pin2dmd.fsq to pin2dmd.pa_ and pin2dmd.fs_
- copy a fresh version of pin2dmd.pal and fsq to your SD card.
That way you make sure the new files use different sectors on the SD card and you don´t have corrupted files.

#1028 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

hello Joerg,
is 3.12 better than 3.11 as far as performance?
thanks in advance

No !

#1029 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

the issue starts whenever I begin the Creature from the Black Lagoon Mode.

Could be an error in the colorization then.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

SD cards becoming corrupted is not a new concept but I assumed the Pin2DMD does not write to the SD card much. Does this happen often?

It depends on your SD card. I have some USB sticks which I use for a couple of years now and others that died within 2 years. Pin2dmd does not write to SD during normal operation.

2 weeks later
#1041 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe the blue and black buttons marked "user" and "reset" are how you get into the menu; hold User and press Reset

No, the menu buttons are on the shield but you can also use the pin2dmd tool to generate a config file or configure through USB directly .

#1045 3 years ago
Quoted from APz:

Does anyone had any experience with Pin2DMD on early Sega WhiteStars? I'm trying to make an EVO work with Apollo 13 and all I get is the Pin2DMD splash screen. I've tried both Data-East/Sega and Stern WhiteStar-modes, both have the same outcome. The EVO in question works in WPC mode in WPC games and sort-of works in this A13 in that mode, but the timing is off, as expected. The game's original plasma display works fine and verifies the display controller works normally. No mods or aftermarket boards installed.

Could you make a picture of the backside of the board ? Does the red LED flicker ?

#1048 3 years ago
Quoted from APz:

I got it working, but I'm not perfectly sure why. I connected a computer to it and used the pin2dmd software to flip the settings. WPC and Capcom did show picture right away, except capcom was off by some pixels, but after I flipped the signal enhancer checkbox and saved, it Data-East/Sega mode started working. I was under the assumption that it did nothing on Evo boards.
Anyway, now it looks as expected!
[quoted image]

Did you enable or disable the enhancer ? On EVO it always need to be enabled (default setting) otherwise important parts are missing on the pcb and you might experience glitches. That is why I wanted to see the back of the pcb, to check that all necessary parts are there.

#1050 3 years ago
Quoted from APz:

I enabled it. I couldn't find that in the device's integrated menu, only from the pin2dmd tool.

There is a Enhancer setting in the onscreen menu.

1 week later
#1057 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi,
Which power a pin2dmd 192x64 needs to works properly? Is a 5v/8A is enough? Is Amp important? Thanks

Read about it here https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/ point 3
Some of the later batches of chinese P2 panels need the voltage to be set to 4.1V instead of 4.8V to work properly.

4 weeks later
#1059 3 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Looking into having the EVO pcb cut and populated. I got a quote from pcbway, and it was around $75 per board shipped if I did a run of 10. Looking around, it looks like jlcpcb.com could do it for a good bit cheaper, but I would be on my own for the through hole components (which is fine).
Has anyone done a successful run through them? Their site is pretty self service, and I have a handful of components that I'm having difficulty in matching from the BOM:
1) Can't find same sized buttons for reset, etc. (430152043826). They have the following, e.g., which is a bit too small: https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Tactile-Switches_XKB-Enterprise-TS-1187A-C-E-A_C318887.html/?href=jlc-SMT
2) Can't find exact match for the inductor SRP1265A-470M. They have the following in the stock which is similar in size, but it's only 2.5 amp instead of 6.5 amp: https://lcsc.com/product-detail/Power-Inductors_Sunlord-SWRB1207S-470MT_C169376.html/?href=jlc-SMT. Is the 6.5 amps needed?
3) Can't find a clock crystal in the same package as FC4SDCBMF8.0-T1. The have the following in stock which looks close-ish: https://lcsc.com/product-detail/SMD-Crystal-Resonators_Harmony-Elec-X5H008000FC1H-X_C136084.html/?href=jlc-SMT
4) Can't find a match for SK54BTR. Can I drop in an rectifier that matches the max reverse voltage and amps, or is the lower voltage drop of this component super important?
5) Can't find an SD card socket of any kind. Is there another search term I should be trying?
6) They're out of stock on the STM32F427VIT6. Is an STM32F427VGT6 an appropriate substitute? They are the same size package from what I can tell and the data sheet bunches STM32F427xxxx together.
For fun, I cloned the repo w/ the evo files and downloaded the free version of EAGLE, but it seems the free version doesn't allow for editing of boards this size. Is there an open source/free alternative to EAGLE?
I'm pretty inexperienced in this area so...Is the design flow w/ EAGLE that I load the schematic file make my modifications, and then use that to generate the board/layout? Was playing w/ this in case 1-3 requires modification of the board to support the components that jlcpcb has on hand. (When I last did this way back when in college, I used that type of a flow, modifying the final layout as necessary.)

2) Should have at least 4A
4) VGT has 2048 Flash VIT 1024. The flash is not only used for program storage.

#1061 3 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Thanks! Any constraints that I should be aware of on the rectifiers?

Rectifiers ? I don´t use AC Voltage

Quoted from joetechbob:

are there better free alternatives?

I don´t know

1 week later
#1066 3 years ago
Quoted from torpedo:

Hi,
I ordered some EVO boards from PcbWay and today I received this email:
"TS2940CP33 is out of stock, can we use AZ2940D-3.3TRE1 , brand DIODES instead? "
I don't understand much, can I confirm the change of component?

Best place to ask such questions is here
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4196-ordering-evo-pcbs-at-chinese-manufactures-questions-and-help

AZ2940D-3.3TRE1 should work

1 week later
#1068 3 years ago

Important !! End of activation for Discovery STM32F407 V3 Shield based hardware :

Three years after introducing the completely new Nucleo STM32F429zi V4 Shield design which allowed us to build 128x32, 128x16 and 192x64 displays with the same hardware and lead to the EVO design, it is time for us to say goodbye to the old V3 shield hardware design. As a consequence we will stop giving out new activation keys for Discovery based PIN2DMD devices and custom boards based on the V3 schematics by the end of this year 31.12.2020. Firmware support will of course be continued as long as possible. Replacement keys with proof of destruction of the defective STM32F407 discovery board (picture of board physically destroyed) excepted. Too many support issues, like cheap chinese discovery clones or wrong enhancer configuration, which could have been avoided with the V4 design made this decision necessary to save my valuable time. We will keep the V3 shield design on github for all those who want to upgrade their hardware by replacing their old V1 or V2 shield.

If you start a new pin2dmd DIY build here is a very good V4 Nucleo based writeup
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3831-pin2dmd-for-125-diy/

3 weeks later
#1079 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I am looking for files that will work on the pin2dmd that i have for any game that i own. The one I have has the STM module on it. I have had it for probably 4 years and it is just sitting unused. I would love to get it working in a game though.
DMD games I have ngg, wcs, addams, congo, and spiderman

Addams is done by NetzZwerg http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3746-the-addams-family-colorization/page/2/ and he is well know to do amazing colorization work. Just contact him about the real pin files.

4 months later
#1097 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Anyone up for completing rocky and bullwinkle?
Original artist/author seems to be awol: X3r2A6
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5599-adventures-of-rocky-and-bullwinkle-and-friends/
Unless if all the tools to colorize can be installed in linux mint, ill try to spend some time getting setup and knocking out some frames.... but i dont think its all available in a non windows environment ?

There is a version for OSX and there is/was a linux version on Steves last compile. I have no environment to compile on linux.

1 week later
#1099 3 years ago
Quoted from WpgPins:

I started a new thread but asking here too.
I just installed a display into my Iron Man. It looks and works great. I would like to play with the colorization but I can’t for the life of me find where the “create dump file” check box is. SD card installed on display and connected to my laptop USB. I can change settings on the fly and see changes so the connection is good. What am I missing??

The checkbox in the lower left corner of the pin2dmd tool
https://pin2dmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/pin2dmd_tool-197x300.png

#1101 3 years ago
Quoted from potf77:

I am trying to get a DIY PIN2DMD to work correctly in a DATAEAST Star Wars. I used a version 2.0 shield from back in 2016. The firmware is 2.86 and the ST STM discovery board had been registered back in 2016.
When the PIN2DMD is powered on it displays the a VGA color palette along with colorprism version 2.68 and then switches over to display DATA EAST. When the pin2dmd starts receiving data from the display driver board from the pinball machine the scenes are shown on the dmd display but they are using the, what I assume, default palette. The colors never change through the game. Always white/blue/brown. Ben Kenobi is blue at the end of the screen,
It seems as if the Discovery board is not reading the pin2dmd.fsq and pin2dmd.pal from the SDCARD. I am sure the Discovery board is reading the SDCARD because if I change the pin2dmd.dat to WILLIAMS instead of DATA EAST the display no longer syncs properly. I cange it back to DATA EAST and copy over the pin2dmd.dat from pc to SDCARD it syncs back up and displays the proper image, not colors.
I can hook up the pin2dmd display to the usb port on my pc and control the display with the pin2dmd editor. I can change the palettes to solid colors on the fly. Then I change the configuration of the pin2dmd display to vga palettes and DATA EAST and save it through the USB.
The SDCARD contains:
pin2dmd.key
pin2dmd.dat
pin2dmd.fsq (martdes colorization version from vpuniverse)
pin2dmd.pal (martdes colorization version from vpuniverse)
I am running game rom version 1.07 and display rom version A1.04 in the machine.
What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help? It is probably something very simple that I am overlooking but at this point I just keep banging my head..

Do you know wether your key supports colorization ? In 2016 there were users which did not want to pay 10 Euro and there was a basic key which did not support colorization. Send me a copy of the key and I can have look. What you can also check is set enhancer to off if your shield does not have a signal enhancer circuit (LS123)
#

1 week later
#1104 3 years ago
Quoted from gern:

I have a bit of an odd question. I have a pin2dmd that is 128 x 32 in a Lethal Weapon 3. Unfortunately it's not getting past the initial Sega/DataEast screen. I've had some problems with this machine in the past and am trying to track down the issues. I have a DataEast Batman. Would it be possible to load the microSD card up with the files for a DataEast Batman and test it in that machine? It looks like the only difference is the panel size.
I'm thinking the problem is in the LW3 dmd controller or the mpu. The mpu was tested last year by a well respected pinsider and tested good.

No ! Using pin2dmd (EVO or Nucleo based) in a 128x16 machine requiers either a external DataEast 128x16 controller or a EVO128x16 which has the controller onboard.

#1108 3 years ago
Quoted from gern:

I have a pin2dmd that I purchased a little over a year ago. I'm trying to narrow down if I have a dmd controller board issue or a pin2dmd issue.
I should note that the pin2dmd was working at one point. However it wasn't without issues. Sometimes I had to reboot the machine and sometimes it would boot okay. When playing a game sometimes it seemed like the animations were slow or played with a delay. Eventually it stopped working and would only display the pin2dmd splash screen then the Sega/DataEast screen. I've had the MPU tested by a reputable pinsider and it test out good. So either I have a pin2dmd issue or a DMD controller board issue.
The pin2dmd does show a red blinking light when I boot it up. I've seen reference to this being an issue but cannot find out what is wrong when that happens. I have 5 volts coming from the power supply as tested with a DMM.
I put up an ad looking for a DMD controller because I thought that had to be the cause of my issues. I had a pinsider reach out with one for sale that was in a DE Star Wars. He said he didn't need it as he had a pin2dmd. I thought you still had to use the DMD controller. Perhaps a new board came out since I got mine. I cannot find anything on that though.

For 128x32 DataEast, Sega and Stern machines you need the original DMD Controller which is a separate PCB normally installed piggyback to the DMD.
For 128x16 you either need a Nucleo PIN2DMD with my DataEast 128x16 Controller pcb or a EVO128x16 which has the 128x16 controller onboard.
There is no such thing as a EVO with 128x32 controller onboard.

When you say that you have a flashing red light is that with anything displayed (boot splash or pinball data) on the pin2dmd or a black screen ?

And if there were any new board from me you could read about that on pin2dmd.com

#1110 3 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Thank you for the clarification lucky1.
I do have the pin2dmd splash screen and the Sega/DataEast screen. I don't see the rom version and it stays on the Sega/DataEast screen.
Here is video showing the red blinking light.

I purchased the board from a pinsider. I didn't see anything on pin2dmd.com about the blinking light. I will check again though. I was probably looking in the wrong area.

Thats just a status LED of the debugging interface. Not of any interest.

2 weeks later
#1127 3 years ago
Quoted from gern:An update for all that have helped... I have an issue with the mpu. I swapped the Batman mpu in and everything is working.
I also put the LW3 mpu into Batman and had no display.
Thank you for all the help everyone! Looks like I need an mpu repaired. But at least I get some sanity back!

Should be a defective PIA 6821 IC on the MPU

#1132 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

lucky1. What do you think of these panels?
C$ 39.89 | P2.5 Flexible LED Display Module 320X160mm Size, Indoor High-Definition Full-Color Curved Screen Unit Board HUB75 Interface
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrMoryf
Could be a great breakthrough as only 1 panel needs to be purchase. If underscan, 128x32, the image will be centered and the top and bottom will be black bars.

Doesn´t make any sense, because the unused area would cover the mounting holes and therefore they would not fit into real pinball machines

#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Not sure I agree because colorDMD does the same with the LCD displays. They have a workaround with a mounting frame.

Yes but like you say a workaround is needed. Who wants a workaround if there is a solution which doesn´t need one ? The panels we use now don´t need any kind of workaround.

Does also make no sense from the technical side, to process 64 lines if you only need 32. Double the time to calculate. Double the memory. Lower refresh rate etc. And besides, I can´t see any gap between the two panels, if the panels are well aligned.

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

lucky1
Given I can color a scene of 30 frames between 16ms and 300ms duration per frame and it requires 8 colors.
I have two possibilities:
1. Create a dedicated palette and do color mask colorization, and each frame has a different detailed color mask of its own. This will end up in a lot of dedicated palettes if i have a lot of such scenes in a project.
2. I use a general palette with lots of colors and do a replacement scene. This will create less color palettes all in all. However replacements are less adaptable to the original frame.
What is easier / better / more reliable on pin2dmd evo 128x32, v4.07 if both approaches use the same triggers.

Absolutely zero preferences from the technical side.
Maybe better ask that question an experienced author of colorizations.
They are mostly on vpuniverse.

3 weeks later
#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Is anyone seeing any artifacts between scenes and scores on PIN2DMD V4.06? I have as display in my Rollercoaster Tycoon, and 99% of the time everything seems to work fine. But every once in awhile, maybe 8-10 times per game, when a colorized scene ends then a score is displayed, the numbers in the score seem to retain the colors that were most recently part of the scene just played. Some of the pixels are set for the color that occupied that pixel in the prior scene. I will try to post some pictures if possible to grab them quickly.
Any seeing this?

Please always upgrade to the latest version, which currently is 4.08 , to check if it is still there.

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Just updated to V4.08 and the artifacts are still there. I don't remember ever seeing this on the V3.20. Is there anything I can do to help debug what is happening?

I guess the triggers are too late. You can make a dump (https://pin2dmd.com/tool/#1.3) and provide it to the author of the colorization. I´m pretty sure they are also there in 3.20. If you want go back to that version and check.

#1158 3 years ago
Quoted from Ace8Track:

Dumb question. Sorry I've looked around and can't find the answer. For a DE DMD, the EVO is for 128x16. Do I still get the 2 64x32 panels for that, or should they be 64x16? Thanks

The 128x16 EVO uses the same panels as the 128x32 EVO. The picture is centered.

3 weeks later
#1161 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Building my first batch of evo 128x32 boards, but run into a snag. After putting the board into dfu mode and upgrading the firmware it says to put the board into run mode. I see nothing that explains what that is or how to do it.
I have nothing on the display. When putting it into dfu mode my computer does see it and after installing drivers I was able to run the software which states it was successful.

Did you use the UPGRADE function and not the UPLOAD function. If you chose UPLOAD you most likely corrupted your firmware file.
Download again and follow the steps here https://pin2dmd.com/installation/#1.2

1 week later
#1175 2 years ago

I use some old 128MB MicroSD from Nokia mobile phones . I also bought some chinese fraud cards reporting they were 2Gig but in fact are 128MB. After partitioning and formatting them to 128MB they work just fine.

1 month later
#1181 2 years ago

Just released my PIN2DMD HD 256x64. Read more about it here https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5348-pin2dmd-evo-hd-upgrade-to-256x64-resolution/

image1-1 (resized).jpgimage1-1 (resized).jpg

#1186 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

That looks cool ! Is the picture you show high res content or upscaled ?
When can we try it out ? =D =D =D

It is upscaled using Scale2x algo. I will upload the design to pcbway soon.

2 weeks later
#1188 2 years ago
Quoted from telmnstr:

In the meantime, I dropped the artwork for STTNG on the SD card (16GB from Microcenter) to test in the 3 minute demo period. The artwork is there but the colorizations I think are wrong. Text is all white, and the stars are red. Looking at pics of what it should look like -- a lot more blues.

Demo mode does not include colorization support.

#1202 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If the existing files are still out there can they just be pulled into the current editor as a starting point?

Yes

#1209 2 years ago

Is it working without SD card ?

#1211 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have the SDCard installed, but I will remove and restart.
I forgot to mention if I push the "reset" button on the Pin2DMD, it goes back to normal, but in a few minutes the problem returns, so that is why I think maybe it is not the Williams A/V board.

I guess it is a problem with the SD card then.

#1215 2 years ago
Quoted from pinengineer77:

I am experiencing something similar with the TZ beta on a real pin. This EVO has been working flawlessly in the game with no SDCard for 17 months but when I insert the colorizations on the SDCard, the display works for a short period of time (with the correct colorization) and then fizzles out and turns black. Pressing the reset button restores the display but then it dies again a few seconds later.

How do you power your DMD ? I just tested with the V.52 beta and could not reproduce the problem.

I am thinking this is a bug with the new 64 colorizations but it seems I am the only person seeing this. Thanks!!!

Unless it crashes e.g. at the same scene every time and it is reproduceable that way I currently don´t see how those crashes could be caused by a firmware issue.

#1221 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:5v - I have an external power supply I can try as well.

Powering a pin2dmd from the 5V circuit is absolutely NOT recommended !!! Please read here about the power options
https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/#3

#1224 2 years ago

lucky1 I am powering this with 12V so this is using the onboard 12V to 5V buck converter regulator. The crash is very consistent and repeatable. With TZ FW 9.21 it would crash every time I enter the power playfield. With TZ FW 9.4H the crash occurs during the attract screen "Twilight Zone" build. It feels like a FW timing issue when it looks up the colorization on the SD card it is somehow mis-sequencing and then the display goes blank. With no SD card, the display has been flawless for about 15 months in this game. I am also running 0.52.
The one thing that might be unique to my game is that it has the anti-ghosting update to the game firmware. I built that years ago when switching to LEDs. It was a program which was applied to the factory HEX file which updated the lamp matrix section to fix the ghosting issue.
Thanks again for the AWESOME support and sharing this design!

What would be interesting is a dump recording when the crash occurs to see if I can reproduce it that way.
https://pin2dmd.com/tool/
You need to connect the pin2dmd to a laptop using a USB cable .
The tool can be downloaded here
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/tools

#1229 2 years ago

It does not matter wether a ROM is patched or not. The only thing that should happen when using different ROMs is that certain scenes do not trigger or do not look right, but as far as I understand the display crashes. This is either a bug in the firmware, a bug in the colorization or a hardware fault.

#1230 2 years ago

I tried to reproduce the crash using the dumps provided and ran the scene where is crashes several times.
Unfortunatelly I could not find a bug in the firmware or in the project causing a crash. Maybe a defective RAM
section in the CPU ??

#1235 2 years ago

Did you try to reset the pin2dmd settings to default after the firmware upgrade ? Leave the SD card in the slot while you do this, otherwise it will restore the old settings from the SD.

#1239 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:Unfortunately this seems not to have fixed my issue. I'm going to try downgrading to a previous firmware; I know this worked flawlessly before, so hopefully this is not a hardware issue.

Any specific scene it crashes every time ? If yes this would be the next step

Quoted from lucky1:

What would be interesting is a dump recording when the crash occurs to see if I can reproduce it that way.
https://pin2dmd.com/tool/
You need to connect the pin2dmd to a laptop using a USB cable .
The tool can be downloaded here
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/tools

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 27.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 180.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
278 posts in this topic match your search for posts by lucky1. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucky1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom?tq=&tu=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.