(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 30.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

What's the bleeding problem?

Some panels have green that bleeds out from the active columns into areas that are supposed to be 'off'.

Not all panels - mine, for example, is perfectly fine, but there are pics over at VPU that show the effect.

#253 8 years ago

The severer bleed panels are defective and should be replaced by manufacture. But the minor pixel bleed most panels have (have to look very close) I think people can live with as its hardly noticeable.

#254 8 years ago

All led panels I have test have some kind of bleed. In the begining I thought it was a defect of my controller board.

Solution with resistors is cheap and easy, so I created this board to apply it, easier, faster and safer, only need put this board on the Led panel board, apply two solder points by Mosfet and GND and thats all. For people that need assemble frequently led panels, I think is the faster solution.

#255 8 years ago

There are several other electrical component contacts right? How are those made, spring tensioned tabs?

#256 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

There are several other electrical component contacts right? How are those made, spring tensioned tabs?

I do not understand exactly what do you mean.

Only two contact points by Mosfet, and one for GND. Those are simply tinned copper pads in PCB, there are no mechanical parts, only the board that install 8 x resistor arrays (4 resistors by array, total 32 resistors) connected between mosfet points and ground.

#257 8 years ago

could add little pogo pins

#258 8 years ago

Today I have receive new controller board PCB with USB connector error fixed. Tomorrow I will assemble and test it, and hope product ready. Also in this version I have add holes to may install it with led panels with and without frame.

placa_002_(resized).jpgplaca_002_(resized).jpg
placa_003_(resized).jpgplaca_003_(resized).jpg
placa_005_(resized).jpgplaca_005_(resized).jpg

#259 8 years ago

Nice !
I started to implement wifi already. First test was good so far !
Need to make a version with wifi support of my tool now.
Think I´m ready to test when the boards arrive here.

#260 8 years ago

I'm ready too!

#261 8 years ago

Fine, I wil assemble tomorrow and I will test this weekend, I think now all will be ok then ready to ship.

#262 8 years ago

My Medieval (Madness) Castle prototype clone is screaming for your rgb led kit.

I wil fit my collorfull lighted playfield at best i think.

DSC_0013_(resized).jpgDSC_0013_(resized).jpg

#263 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

My Medieval (Madness) Castle prototype clone is screaming for your rgb led kit.
I wil fit my collorfull lighted playfield at best i think.

Beauty playfield.

#264 8 years ago

How did the latest PCBs turn out?

#265 8 years ago

Four boards assembled, now testing. USB now work perfect, also tested BOOT with DFU USB to load firmware, at any rate I must to see how load it in an specific memory address or after load do not run. Program firmware by ST-LINK work perfect too.

Just a detail, board with WIFI need at least 210 mA when connect it, so because of USB port can not provide so high amperage must connect external power supply 5 volt to may load firmware. Without WIFI and without connect the led panels, may connect by DFU USB and load firmware with bootloader option (Jumper BOOT Off).

SD card tested, work fine.

dmdst32_(resized).jpgdmdst32_(resized).jpg

#266 8 years ago

USB3.0 which is on most PC's now will supply up to 900mA - unless you mean that the board needs more than 900mA @ 5v to enable the wifi and load firmware????

Great work - looking good

#267 8 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

USB3.0 which is on most PC's now will supply up to 900mA - unless you mean that the board needs more than 900mA @ 5v to enable the wifi and load firmware????
Great work - looking good

OK fine, thank you for your information, I did not know, then must work perfectly with WIFI, but not with led panels connected.

Tested board about Amperage:
Board without buffers, without WIFI ------------------ 80 mA
Board with buffers (2 x 74LS245), without WIFI --- 210 mA
Board with buffers (2 x 74LS245) + WIFI ---------- 260 mA

Well, all boards tested, all work fine:
Controller board with STM32F407 without buffers, OK
Controller board with STM32F407 with buffers, OK
Controller board with STM32F405 with buffers, OK
Controller board with STM32F427 with buffers, OK

Now only need check about BOOT jumper to load firmware by DFU USB, USB work and with jumper in BOOT option PC DFU software recognize it and allow upload firmware, but probably need config something in PC software because of though I may load firmware by DFU USB do not run it. At any rate may load firmware with ST-LINK programmer, and USB work fine to config board, so hardware is ok, none problem with it.

So, now I go to see about config DFU for BOOT option, and ALL ready, tomorrow I will start to assemble and ship controller boards and full DMD.

IMG_20160418_214015_(resized).jpgIMG_20160418_214015_(resized).jpg

#268 8 years ago

I have already config DFU USB to upload firmware by USB with BOOT jumper in board, work OK. So product is ready 100%.

Well, I must test WIFI, but to do it need add source code to config Serial Port and send some AT commands, but hardware design is ok, simple two wires, TX and RX to UART or USART pins, so must to work. Also must to test the SPI flash memory chip in board to store config data instead of use SD card when small files.

I will do also a User Manual with instructions to update firmware, and will provide DFU software to do it, its an ST free software.

ScreenHunter_005_(resized).jpgScreenHunter_005_(resized).jpg

#269 8 years ago

Will this software run on Mac or Linux? Or is it Windows only?

#271 8 years ago

Great job Luis ! Will add wifi integration into pin2dmd firmware when the test boards arrive here.
I will not use the firmware with LUA and AT Commands for the ESP8266. Integration with an alternative
firmware will be much easier. Will have a webfrontend to config the wifi SSID, password, AP or client mode etc.
and a modified version of my tool to do the device communication.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Great job Luis ! Will add wifi integration into pin2dmd firmware when the test boards arrive here.
I will not use the firmware with LUA and AT Commands for the ESP8266. Integration with an alternative
firmware will be much easier. Will have a webfrontend to config the wifi SSID, password, AP or client mode etc.
and a modified version of my tool to do the device communication.

Ok, thanks Jörg. Good your news about WIFI.

#273 8 years ago

Here pictures about my final DMD Led Color full assembled, tested and working 100% with real pinball and virtual pinball.

Versions with F405/407 or the faster F427 compatible with future updates to support SEGA 192*64 displays (I have locate already P2 panels 128*128mm with very good price). WIFI optional.

For real pinball, include one power supply cable to choose from three options (Bally/Williams, Stern, Data/Gottlieb). Bally/Williams and Stern are Plug and Play, do not need cut or solder wires, for Data East and Gottlieb need solder two wires to power supply board in pinball head.

DMD_color_003_(resized).jpgDMD_color_003_(resized).jpg
DMD_color_002_(resized).jpgDMD_color_002_(resized).jpg
DMD_color_005_(resized).jpgDMD_color_005_(resized).jpg
DMD_color_004_(resized).jpgDMD_color_004_(resized).jpg
DMD_color_001_(resized).jpgDMD_color_001_(resized).jpg
DMD_color_006_(resized).jpgDMD_color_006_(resized).jpg
DMD_color_007_(resized).jpgDMD_color_007_(resized).jpg

#274 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

May be I may offer an RGB DMD LED 192*64 with price between 350 and 400 Euros.

Are the cheaper 128mm x 128mm panels you found usable for 128x32 or 192x64?

#275 8 years ago

Looks good! Where can I order?

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Are the cheaper 128mm x 128mm panels you found usable for 128x32 or 192x64?

Three panels P2 pitch, 128*128mm, 64*64 pixels are ok to do one SEGA DMD 192*64. I have got a very good price, so final price for a full assembled DMD 192*64 pixel I think will be good.

I have order 3 panels to test it, so with new F427 microcontroller I think will work perfect, but even if need may install the powerful F746 in same controller board, this is the fastest and with more RAM memory.

#277 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Looks good! Where can I order?

Hello.
I'm calculating new prices because of I have get cheaper prices for led panels and microcontrollers. Probably price will be cheaper for USA than to Europe because of freight cost is also more expensive. In a few days I post prices.

May order by private message, email to [email protected], Facebook messenger of pinballsp, Whatsapp (+34693344445), and payment by Paypal or TT. Shipping by courier with tracking number. Freight cost table attached.

freight_cost_pinbnallsp_(resized).jpgfreight_cost_pinbnallsp_(resized).jpg

#278 8 years ago

Shipping to Australia? Cheers.

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Shipping to Australia? Cheers.

Yes, no problem, shipping to any country.
Though I must confirm freight cost to Australia, by Courier with tracking number for 2kg weight, may be between 39 and 43 Euros.

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Three panels P2 pitch, 128*128mm, 64*64 pixels are ok to do one SEGA DMD 192*64. I have got a very good price, so final price for a full assembled DMD 192*64 pixel I think will be good.
I have order 3 panels to test it, so with new F427 microcontroller I think will work perfect, but even if need may install the powerful F746 in same controller board, this is the fastest and with more RAM memory.

This is great! Put me down for a SEGA sized display for my Frankenstein!!!

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Hello.
I'm calculating new prices because of I have get cheaper prices for led panels and microcontrollers. Probably price will be cheaper for USA than to Europe because of freight cost is also more expensive. In a few days I post prices.
May order by private message, email to [email protected], Facebook messenger of pinballsp, Whatsapp (+34693344445), and payment by Paypal or TT. Shipping by courier with tracking number. Freight cost table attached.
freight_cost_pinbnallsp_(resized).jpg

Awesome job! Looks as clean and neat as it can.
I am ready to order as soon as I know the final price

#282 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Awesome job! Looks as clean and neat as it can.
I am ready to order as soon as I know the final price

Me too!

#283 8 years ago

Luis,

Might be useful to supply a remote PSU wiring option at a few extra $ (Longer cables between PSU and Panels - for example for machines like Safecracker the extra depth on the panel would make mounting impossible...). Can provide options on lengths if needed.

Will pm later to order

Cheers
Paul

#284 8 years ago

I am also very interested in a final shipped price to Australia.

And multiple discounts?

Cheers,
Matt.

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

Luis,
Might be useful to supply a remote PSU wiring option at a few extra $ (Longer cables between PSU and Panels - for example for machines like Safecracker the extra depth on the panel would make mounting impossible...). Can provide options on lengths if needed.
Will pm later to order
Cheers
Paul

Hello Paul.

Im preparing four harness cables to connect power supply.
1.- Bally/Williams WPC, WPC-s, Plug and play
2.- Bally/Williams WPC95, Plug and PLay
3.- Stern, Plug and play. (I think SEGA is same than Stern)
4.- Data East / Gottlieb, need solder two wires to power supply board in pinball head.

About lenght, a friend has check it, and suggest 30cm for all plug and play and 65cm for Data/Gottlieb. I will assemble all these 4 cables this weekend and will upload pictures about it.

About machines where must connect power supply remotely becase of not space, I will think about it. In DMD there are two boards to connect to power supply, controller board and two led panels. I think I may provide a 2 teminal block with screws (picture attached), so easy to connect all wires (4 by led panel, 2 by controller board) and a long two wires cable with two crimped fork terminals (picture attached), to connect to power supply. Also will need input cable to power supply, same than plug and play if WPC, but probably longest.

May you tell me what is cable length needed to connect remote power supply ??

I will provide all options about cables to install it easily.

regleta2_(resized).jpgregleta2_(resized).jpg
terminal_(resized).jpgterminal_(resized).jpg

#286 8 years ago

Well these are prices and freight cost for DMD Color STM32 (+WIFI, add 4 Euros):

DMD color full assembled (without WIFI), for Europe countries ------------- 164 Euros (one pcs)
DMD color full assembled (without WIFI), for USA, Canada and Australia -- 153 Euros (one pcs)

ONE cable to connect power supply included in price for DMD with power supply attached to led panels. If you want remote power supply then need two cables and one terminal block, then must add 2 Euros to total price. Both options include two splice terminal for fast and easy installation (do not need cut or solder cables).

USB cable and micro SD card NOT included in price.

Freight cost by Courier with tracking number:
USA, Canada and Australia ----- 39.5 Euros
UE (Germay, Italy, France, Austria, United Kingdom, etc ...) --- 26 Euros

About controller board alone, I will post prices and freight cost in a few days.
Yes, for USA, Canada and Australia, price of DMD is cheaper than to Europe, because of freight cost is more expensive, so to offer good total price I offer product cheaper for those countries.

WARNING: all DMD and controller boards are empty, no firmware preloaded. You may install pin2dmd V1 and STM32 based firmware compatible. Very easy to install with Boot jumper in board, I provide full intructions and PC software to install it.

IMPORTANT: Power supply provided may work with input voltage between 100V and 240V AC, 50/60Hz. Suggest connect it to 100V AC in pinball power supply board (Data East, Gottlieb) or pinball video board (Bally/Williams, Stern). I will provide instructions and pictures about where connect it to do a fast and easy installation.

Some question, before or after order, I provide full support by email, skype, whatsapp or Facebook messenger.

#287 8 years ago

25 Euro's more because i live in the EU

On the upside, I'll Take some accurate measurements of SC today to give a better idea of how long cables need to be to reach Will update later

#288 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Well these are prices and freight cost for DMD Color STM32 (+WIFI, add 4 Euros):
DMD color full assembled (without WIFI), for Europe countries ------------- 164 Euros (one pcs)
DMD color full assembled (without WIFI), for USA, Canada and Australia -- 153 Euros (one pcs)
ONE cable to connect power supply included in price for DMD with power supply attached to led panels. If you want remote power supply then need two cables and one terminal block, then must add 2 Euros to total price. Both options include two splice terminal for fast and easy installation (do not need cut or solder cables).
About controller board alone, I will post prices and freight cost in a few days.
Yes, for USA, Canada and Australia, price of DMD is cheaper than to Europe, because of freight cost is more expensive, so to offer good total price I offer product cheaper for those countries.
WARNING: all DMD and controller boards are empty, none firmware loaded. You may install pin2dmd V1 and STM32 based firmware compatible. Very easy to install with Boot jumper in board, I provide full intructions and PC software to install it.
Some question, before or after order, I provide full support by email, skype, whatsapp or Facebook messenger.

Just to be sure:
- Having it working 100% in my T2 with shipping to Denmark my total cost will be 190 Euro (+4 for Wifi)?
- I am a little in doubt about the Wifi 4 euro seems cheap but what are the advantages ? Remote uploading of color scheme etc?

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from toibs:

25 Euro's more because i live in the EU

With freight cost, total difference USA-Europe is only 2.5 Euros.

On the upside, I'll Take some accurate measurements of SC today to give a better idea of how long cables need to be to reach Will update later

Ok, fine, please inform about it.

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Just to be sure:
- Having it working 100% in my T2 with shipping to Denmark my total cost will be 190 Euro (+4 for Wifi)?
- I am a little in doubt about the Wifi 4 euro seems cheap but what are the advantages ? Remote uploading of color scheme etc?

Yes, work with all WPC, WPC-S, WPC89.
Right, 190 euros total cost product+freight cost, and add 4 Euros for WIFI.

Well, currently firmware do not support WIFI, so even though board install WIFI hardware module do not work yet until firmware add it. I think Jörg is working about it to add in next pin2dmd firmware.

About utility of WIFI, may be to config device, update new firmware, update palettes.

#291 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Well, currently firmware do not support WIFI, so even though board install WIFI hardware module do not work yet until firmware add it. I think Jörg is working about it to add in next pin2dmd firmware.
About utility of WIFI, may be to config device, update new firmware, update palettes.

Thank you.
Can you update the message with how you want to take orders? What information is needed and where do you want it? For smooth order and less mistakes. (would like to buy more than one )

#292 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

And with WPC95?

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

And with WPC95?

Yes, sorry, also work with all WPC95, no problem about it.

Now Im testing with a friend what pinball may need remote power supply. Current version with power supply attached to Led modules has a depth of 5.5cm, I want to be sure that may install without problems in most pinball.

I know that Safe Cracker need remote power supply, and may be some more models.

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Thank you.
Can you update the message with how you want to take orders? What information is needed and where do you want it? For smooth order and less mistakes. (would like to buy more than one )

Yes, I will put all details about orders and payment. Later update message or add new with full details. Thanks.

#295 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Ok, fine, please inform about it.

So - Safecracker is a little tight on space, however if the PSU is less than 30mm in height, or can be mounted on the end and is less than 11cm in length then it would still fit. If not, the closest most obvious place i can see is the lovely space in the backbox, however will need to be drilled/mounted through the metal (Will provide nice earthing though!)... See attached pics!

IMG_0827_(resized).JPGIMG_0827_(resized).JPG
IMG_0828_(resized).JPGIMG_0828_(resized).JPG
IMG_0826_(resized).PNGIMG_0826_(resized).PNG
IMG_0830_(resized).JPGIMG_0830_(resized).JPG

If mounted in the backbox, to allow the cables to be run properly, and not "slung across", Will need a length of around 80cm to the nearest end of the display....

I'll get an order in, and advise of exact lengths etc if that helps when i work out where it will fit

#296 8 years ago

Is it Christmas morning or am I dreaming?

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Yes, sorry, also work with all WPC95, no problem about it.
Now Im testing with a friend what pinball may need remote power supply. Current version with power supply attached to Led modules has a depth of 5.5cm, I want to be sure that may install without problems in most pinball.
I know that Safe Cracker need remote power supply, and may be some more models.

Pin2DMD Firmware V2.0 firmware currently supports

- WPC
- Stern SAM (with smartDMD colorizing)
- Stern Whitestar
- DataEast
- WPC95
- WPC with PinLED board

Currently in development is
- Stern Spike real pinball input
- Gottlieb real pinball input

Need some testing on real machines to make that work properly.

#298 8 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

- WPC
- Stern Whitestar
- DataEast
- WPC95
- WPC with PinLED board

Cool! Board ordered - Lucky1 - how do we go about getting the latest version of your firmware (that supports REAL machines)

Thx

#299 8 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

- WPC
- Stern Whitestar
- DataEast
- WPC95
- WPC with PinLED board

Any updates on pinball browser and frame by frame full recolours, vis a vis the Pinballsp controller(s)?

#300 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

WARNING: all DMD and controller boards are empty, no firmware preloaded. You may install pin2dmd V1 and STM32 based firmware compatible. Very easy to install with Boot jumper in board, I provide full intructions and PC software to install it.
IMPORTANT: Power supply provided may work with input voltage between 100V and 240V AC, 50/60Hz. Suggest connect it to 100V AC in pinball power supply board (Data East, Gottlieb) or pinball video board (Bally/Williams, Stern). I will provide instructions and pictures about where connect it to do a fast and easy installation.

Edit, sorry F746 not compatible with F4xx, so can not install in current controller board, may be in the future will design a controller board for F7xx MCU.

So, now only available F427 in all controller boards and full DMD assembled.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/6?hl=ieathands and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.