(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 30.
#1401 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

There seem to be different boards made (https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/) - maybe you could take a picture of yours?
I guess that would make it easier to help with troubleshooting.

Hi

This is my board.
Made some progress - it seems a bad connection at the power connector . If I press on it / wiggle it will power up.
I reflowed the header pins and no difference so will need to repin the connector - I don’t have a replacement to hand currently.

However still not getting past the logo screen ? Tried reset button . No difference. Tried swapping round ribbon cables to the machine. No difference.
Tried with MicroSD card in/out . No difference.
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpegA8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpegABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpegABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpegEA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpegEA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpegF43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpegF43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg

#1402 1 year ago
Quoted from Ive:

Hi
This is my board.
Made some progress - it seems a bad connection at the power connector . If I press on it / wiggle it will power up.
I reflowed the header pins and no difference so will need to repin the connector - I don’t have a replacement to hand currently.
However still not getting past the logo screen ? Tried reset button . No difference. Tried swapping round ribbon cables to the machine. No difference.
Tried with MicroSD card in/out . No difference.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you put in a new cable from DMD driver board in the backbox to the screen - or did you just turn it around?
The cable is the right way around - for example the red lead goes to pin #1 on the DMD driver board and to pin #1 on the Pin2Dmd screen?
Could be the DMD driver board itself, power to the DMD driver board or cables/connector to the DMD driver board.

It looks like the Pin2Dmd is reading the SD card and loads the palette from there.

1 week later
#1403 12 months ago

I recently had a problem where my pin2dmd on my TFTC wouldn't read the card. It would just stay on the start-up screen. I had to go into the config menu and change "device" to data east/sega. make sure you save the changes.

Here is what helped me from my distro:

The display doesn't seem to be initially sensing the game when it is turned on. This should happen automatically. What we can do is manually set the mode to "Data East / Sega" and see if that resolves the problem. There are instructions on my site (https://www.cdnpin2dmd.ca/) on how to access and navigate the menu for the display. Once you get into the config menu, the next option will be "Device Mode". You want to select that and toggle through the options using button 2 until you hit the "Data East / Sega" setting. Once you reach that, you will have to hit button 1 on the display until you find the "Save Config" option and then hit button 2 again. The display should then reboot itself. Turn the game off and back on and see what happens.

Hope this helps!

#1404 12 months ago

lucky1 Will the APM32F407VGT6 work for 192x64 displays?

#1405 11 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Did you put in a new cable from DMD driver board in the backbox to the screen - or did you just turn it around?
The cable is the right way around - for example the red lead goes to pin #1 on the DMD driver board and to pin #1 on the Pin2Dmd screen?
Could be the DMD driver board itself, power to the DMD driver board or cables/connector to the DMD driver board.
It looks like the Pin2Dmd is reading the SD card and loads the palette from there.

Thanks

Some resolution to this.

Turned out to be R32 on the Pin2DMD board was the cause of the power issue. Poor solder/pad connection. Reflowed and all good.

It's all working again now. I'm sure the occasional issues I get with the display freezing etc are due to my low 5v. I already have the Sega wiring mod in place but my game is only putting out about 4.8v from the power board which seems to be borderline at best to keep the display happy. I need to address that.

1 week later
#1406 11 months ago

If someone in the US has a 192x64 EVO display available, please shoot over a PM with your asking price

4 months later
#1407 6 months ago

lucky1 I am trying to get a Pin2Dmd on firmware 4.51 working on a #wcs
The color files are some years old but worked previously on different Pin2Dmds
I tried both Malenko and KOF versions.
This time the colourings don't work, the palette seems wrong (orange-ish instead of black) etc.
Juggling the rgb sequence didn't help.
Different SD cards made no difference.
Screen works fine in another pinball.
WCS pinball original screen works fine.
Is there any difference in the handling of unlocked pal/fsq files between firmware versions?

#1408 6 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

lucky1 I am trying to get a Pin2Dmd on firmware 4.51 working on a #wcs
The color files are some years old but worked previously on different Pin2Dmds
I tried both Malenko and KOF versions.
This time the colourings don't work, the palette seems wrong (orange-ish instead of black) etc.
Juggling the rgb sequence didn't help.
Different SD cards made no difference.
Screen works fine in another pinball.
WCS pinball original screen works fine.
Is there any difference in the handling of unlocked pal/fsq files between firmware versions?

I tried downgrading to version 3.20, 4.08 and 4.10 using the dfuse method in the hope older firmware versions would support the color files.
Apparently this doesn't work - the screen wouldn't reboot even though the flashing went well without errors.
Maybe this is because the screen was flashed with version 4.51 first?
Flashing with the 4.51 version again brought the screen back to life.

#1409 6 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I tried downgrading to version 3.20, 4.08 and 4.10 using the dfuse method in the hope older firmware versions would support the color files.
Apparently this doesn't work - the screen wouldn't reboot even though the flashing went well without errors.
Maybe this is because the screen was flashed with version 4.51 first?
Flashing with the 4.51 version again brought the screen back to life.

If you use DFUSE this must work. DUSE erases the flash and therefore any trace of the old firmware is erased.

#1410 6 months ago
Quoted from lucky1:

If you use DFUSE this must work. DUSE erases the flash and therefore any trace of the old firmware is erased.

I tried v. 3.20, 4.08, 4.10, 4.12 etc.
The first successful downgrade was 4.23 - then the screen would start up again.
The first firmware for this screen was 4.51.

1 month later
#1411 5 months ago

Is anyone making CNC speaker panels (with artwork a bonus) for pin2dmd XL panels? I’m aware of the plug and play option at Retro City, but would prefer to source the boards myself from pcbway. Just need the panels. Any pointers appreciated.

#1412 5 months ago

I've made up my own but stumblor in the UK does panels as well.

#1413 5 months ago
Quoted from KJS:

I've made up my own but stumblor in the UK does panels as well.

Thanks seems like full kits at stumbler like Retro. Is there a free CNC file available somewhere for a pin2dmd xl speaker panel?

#1414 5 months ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Thanks seems like full kits at stumbler like Retro. Is there a free CNC file available somewhere for a pin2dmd xl speaker panel?

Also looking for a CNC file for the panel. Does anyone have a build for the XL screens to send to PCBWAY?

1 month later
#1415 4 months ago

Recently my Creature display has been acting up and freezing during gameplay. It only happens when I’m in multiball and shoot the whirlpool ramp. As soon as the animation starts, it freezes and shows this screen until I power cycle the game. The game plays perfectly fine while the screen is frozen. Anybody ever had this issue before?

IMG_2849.jpegIMG_2849.jpeg
#1416 4 months ago

Jakers I would suspect that the color file got corrupted somehow. Specifically the data for the multiball sequence. I would try and format the sd card and copy the key file and color file back to it and see if that fixes the issue.

#1417 4 months ago
Quoted from roscoepinball:

Also looking for a CNC file for the panel. Does anyone have a build for the XL screens to send to PCBWAY?

Is this what you are looking for ? https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/PIN2DMD_EVO256x64_RGB_LED_Dotmatrix_Pinball_Display_Controller.html

#1418 4 months ago
Quoted from action76:

Jakers I would suspect that the color file got corrupted somehow. Specifically the data for the multiball sequence. I would try and format the sd card and copy the key file and color file back to it and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to this link (that you actually provided me last year) but the link is no longer valid. Where can I find the files I need to re-download to hopefully fix this issue?

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4053-creature-from-the-black-lagoon/

#1419 4 months ago

does anyone know if Dr WHO is in the works? or is colour dmd the only option

#1420 4 months ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to this link (that you actually provided me last year) but the link is no longer valid. Where can I find the files I need to re-download to hopefully fix this issue?
https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4053-creature-from-the-black-lagoon/

CFTBL is my project I can sort you out with the files by the weekend - PM me your display UID, even a photo will do!

#1421 4 months ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

CFTBL is my project I can sort you out with the files by the weekend - PM me your display UID, even a photo will do!

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Where is the display UID? Sorry, but I’m very new to Pin2Dmd. Haha

#1422 4 months ago

Go into menu. There is an option there to show device uid. I think snapping a photo of it is best bc it’s a long string of characters

#1423 4 months ago
Quoted from topkat:

Go into menu. There is an option there to show device uid. I think snapping a photo of it is best bc it’s a long string of characters

I see 4 buttons on the back of the display. 3 of them don’t do anything when pressed, the 4th seems to only reset the display. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get the UID?

#1424 4 months ago

With the help of slippifishi i was able to find it. Here’s a link for anyone else looking to know how to access the Pin2DMD menu settings.

#1425 4 months ago

I’ve got new files on the mini SD card and the animation doesn’t freeze the display anymore, but now the colors are all messed up. I’ve went through the display menu setting and tried all the RGB sequence options but none of them display the colors correctly. What am I missing here to get the colors back to normal?

#1426 4 months ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I’ve went through the display menu setting and tried all the RGB sequence options

did you save them after setting them? not sure if this was applicable to the display, but i "think" it was.

#1427 4 months ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

did you save them after setting them? not sure if this was applicable to the display, but i "think" it was.

Yeah. I saved after trying all the RGB sequences. It changes between red/white/blue colors and blue/yellow/white colors. I can't figure out how to display the normal colors. I've tried all the RGB sequence options and the device mode is on Bally/Williams.

#1428 4 months ago

Jakers What files are on the sd card now? Did you put the key file back on there? If not it may be operating in unregistered mode and it won't color correctly. Should have a pin2dmd.fsq, pin2dmd.pal and a .key file on there.

#1429 4 months ago
Quoted from action76:

Jakers What files are on the sd card now? Did you put the key file back on there? If not it may be operating in unregistered mode and it won't color correctly. Should have a pin2dmd.fsq, pin2dmd.pal and a .key file on there.

Here's the files structure as of right now. Animation works correctly but colors are incorrect:

CFTBL Current Files (resized).pngCFTBL Current Files (resized).png
#1430 4 months ago

Here's the original structure with the animation freezing issue, but the colors were correct:

CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).pngCFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
#1431 4 months ago

Here's what Slippifishi sent me. I deleted my original .fsq and .pal files and replaced them with the ones slippifishi sent me. I also tried renaming them to match the original files names but that didn't correct the issue either.

Slippifishi Files (resized).pngSlippifishi Files (resized).png
#1432 4 months ago

Rename those files to pin2dmd.
Pin2dmd.fsq
Pin2dmd.pal

#1433 4 months ago
Quoted from kba78:

Rename those files to pin2dmd.
Pin2dmd.fsq
Pin2dmd.pal

This 100%! They have to be named pin2dmd for the software to recognize them. Leave the .key file as it is though.

#1434 4 months ago
Quoted from action76:This 100%! They have to be named pin2dmd for the software to recognize them.

I swear I tried this already, but I'll try again tonight when I'm home.

#1435 4 months ago

Is there only 1 Pin2DMD colour file for Scared Stiff? The red/green isn't to my liking - wondering if there is more than 1 colour download.

Thanks

#1436 4 months ago
Quoted from action76:

This 100%! They have to be named pin2dmd for the software to recognize them. Leave the .key file as it is though.

In the latest firmwares I believe the file detection has been modified to also look for filenames matching the UID in addition to "pin2dmd".

Quoted from Jakers:

Animation works correctly but colors are incorrect

Try renaming the files to pin2dmd.fsq & pin2dmd.pal anyway, but this sounds to me like the files are being picked up if you can say that the animations are coloured (but incorrectly), and it's the RGB sequence at fault, or else some other setting I don't know about. The RGB setting you save should persist across boots of the display. I don't believe your firmware is to blame as my CFTBL project is older than your firmware version I think, but it's always recommended to run the latest, and you should perhaps consider that so there can be no doubts.

#1437 4 months ago

I tried renaming the files and also went through all the RGB sequences with the same incorrect results. Tried fresh SD card files and a card format but that didn't help either. Then I figured I would try changing just one file instead of both .fsq and .pal at the same time. When I copied only the .fsq file over and kept my original .pal file, the display is colored correctly and doesn't freeze anymore on that animation. CFTBL is back!

Thanks to all that helped me out!

#1438 4 months ago
Quoted from topkat:

does anyone know if Dr WHO is in the works? or is colour dmd the only option

Yes, I believe @beaster, is working on them. Not sure how far along he is...

#1439 4 months ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Yes, I believe Beaster, is working on them. Not sure how far along he is...

That would be great to see a complete Dr Who. Also if the Rocky and Bullwinkle is ever completed.

1 month later
#1440 87 days ago

Didn't have a filenamed correctly.

#1441 82 days ago

Was the existing scared stiff pin2dmd project pulled from the usual sites?

#1442 77 days ago

I have noticed that some VPIN users are starting to drop comments on Wob's videos of my PIN2DMD projects asking for the files for VPIN or complaining that the links are broken. I am also getting inundated with emails asking for the files, and having given it much thought and deliberation, and to try and spare Wob from any further requests or comments, I have decided to make my PIN2DMD projects available again for VPIN.

The VPIN files are PAC format, if you are a VPIN user and you don't like that format because you have some obtuse understanding of what that format actually means (don't believe the hype!), you will have to wait for the Serum guys to redo them, or source the original VNI files that were previously available (they really aren't that hard to find if you look hard enough). It looks like someone has started TNG in Serum so perhaps you won't have a long wait for that one. For those of you that don't care, have at them and enjoy. I have no intention of uploading these to VPUniverse again or taking part in the discussions there, I am under permanent moderation and anything I post must meet the approval of Dazz/the mods and I am essentially banned from speaking freely.

My current list of available projects is as follows:

- Demolition Man (beta)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Creature From The Black Lagoon
- The Flintstones
- Indianapolis 500
- South Park

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rEPU4ZrCBUf89YttzyPwvRh6vzBv4Mcc?usp=sharing

Real pin users - as always - are welcome to reach out to me with their PIN2DMD display UID and I will be happy to provide an export for you free of charge.

Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement I have received in the past both here and on VPU; this was and remains an enjoyable hobby for me, I am not out to make profit, and I look forward to releasing some updates for the above projects in the coming months.

#1443 77 days ago
Quoted from slippifishi:

I have decided to make my PIN2DMD projects available again for VPIN.

Thanks slippi! Many of us appreciate what you do for vpin and real pin owners. Glad to see that you have decided to share these files again.

Cheers!

#1444 76 days ago

I

Quoted from slippifishi:

I have noticed that some VPIN users are starting to drop comments on Wob's videos of my PIN2DMD projects asking for the files for VPIN or complaining that the links are broken. I am also getting inundated with emails asking for the files, and having given it much thought and deliberation, and to try and spare Wob from any further requests or comments, I have decided to make my PIN2DMD projects available again for VPIN.
The VPIN files are PAC format, if you are a VPIN user and you don't like that format because you have some obtuse understanding of what that format actually means (don't believe the hype!), you will have to wait for the Serum guys to redo them, or source the original VNI files that were previously available (they really aren't that hard to find if you look hard enough). It looks like someone has started TNG in Serum so perhaps you won't have a long wait for that one. For those of you that don't care, have at them and enjoy. I have no intention of uploading these to VPUniverse again or taking part in the discussions there, I am under permanent moderation and anything I post must meet the approval of Dazz/the mods and I am essentially banned from speaking freely.
My current list of available projects is as follows:
- Demolition Man (beta)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Creature From The Black Lagoon
- The Flintstones
- Indianapolis 500
- South Park
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rEPU4ZrCBUf89YttzyPwvRh6vzBv4Mcc?usp=sharing
Real pin users - as always - are welcome to reach out to me with their PIN2DMD display UID and I will be happy to provide an export for you free of charge.
Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement I have received in the past both here and on VPU; this was and remains an enjoyable hobby for me, I am not out to make profit, and I look forward to releasing some updates for the above projects in the coming months.

Big thank you as well. Love all your color projects!

#1445 76 days ago

Does anyone know if there is a project file for Twister or Playboy?

#1446 76 days ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Was the existing scared stiff pin2dmd project pulled from the usual sites?

Looks like the link on vpuniverse.com was pulled down. You may want to reach out to @hazurdous on VPU and see what he's doing with his files.

#1447 76 days ago
Quoted from kba78:

Does anyone know if there is a project file for Twister or Playboy?

I don't think anyone is working on either of those. I thought I read somewhere that someone was considering doing Twister, but I can find any mention of it now.

#1448 76 days ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I don't think anyone is working on either of those. I thought I read somewhere that someone was considering doing Twister, but I can find any mention of it now.

I don’t know if I ever said anything publicly; but, I almost picked up a Twister just to colorize it. I didn’t follow through I. It thought. My niece is getting ready to start trying to finish up an abandoned Star Wars Trilogy. She worked on it a bit before the holidays and then got distracted by some Xmas games.

#1449 76 days ago

It would be great to see projects like Rocky and Bullwinkle completely finished and also Dr Who which seems to be abandoned. I think the Rocky and Bullwinkle was close but still had some loose ends.

I contributed for ones like ID4 which is excellent. I would be glad to send over some $$ to someone that wraps up a title I can use.

#1450 74 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

...also Dr Who which seems to be abandoned...

I know a few people that are interested in this title. I believe Beaster is working on this but don't hold me to it. Or him for that matter!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Other
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 22.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Wilkes-barre, PA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.