(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 30.
#1301 1 year ago

I am also looking to purchase a Pin2DMD for my baywatch.

#1303 1 year ago

Just had a new Pin2dmd arrive for my TZ. The color is going from black to white/Grey. Anyone ever have this issue? Thanks

#1304 1 year ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Just had a new Pin2dmd arrive for my TZ. The color is going from black to white/Grey. Anyone ever have this issue? Thanks

Updated the code and working just fine.

#1305 1 year ago

I recently picked up a TZ with this DMD in it. It’s currently only showing a couple of colors.
Can I update the code to get full color?

40AE02D0-2D09-42E9-AF35-66C11D246BA3.jpeg40AE02D0-2D09-42E9-AF35-66C11D246BA3.jpegD99CFDB4-BE4A-46BE-8127-20D82E929197.jpegD99CFDB4-BE4A-46BE-8127-20D82E929197.jpeg
#1306 1 year ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

I recently picked up a TZ with this DMD in it. It’s currently only showing a couple of colors.
[quoted image][quoted image]

[email protected] is the guy who can provide the latest colourisation files for you. He asks for a small fee for them.
The PIN2DMD firmware is currently at V4.18 so you may need to update it.

#1307 1 year ago

Has anyone had a problem with their Pin2DMD flaking out after a few minutes? My Monster Bash will start up and have the full color files looking great, then after a couple minutes the Pin2DMD zaps out, and there remain only a few lit dots at the bottom of the screen.

This only occurs when I have the color file loaded on the SDCard. If I remove it and just use the stock color options, it stays working fine. I have tried several different cards, all the same result. Previously this Pin2DMD had been working flawlessly for several years. Same hardware, same game. Same SDCard, no changes.

Happens across multiple firmware versions too.

#1308 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone had a problem with their Pin2DMD flaking out after a few minutes? My Monster Bash will start up and have the full color files looking great, then after a couple minutes the Pin2DMD zaps out, and there remain only a few lit dots at the bottom of the screen.
This only occurs when I have the color file loaded on the SDCard. If I remove it and just use the stock color options, it stays working fine. I have tried several different cards, all the same result. Previously this Pin2DMD had been working flawlessly for several years. Same hardware, same game. Same SDCard, no changes.

Sounds more like an issue with the coloring file - if you have tried several SD-cards from different brands ?

#1309 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Sounds more like an issue with the coloring file - if you have tried several SD-cards from different brands ?

That was my initial thought - but the color file itself has been working for several years. I did try multiple SDCards from different brands. Maybe I will try to re-load the color file from my original download onto a new card

#1310 1 year ago

I finally decided to take the plunge and attempt to build some Pin2DMD HDs. I put the order into pcbway but TS2940CP33 is out of stock. I saw a recommendation for AZ2940D-3.3TRE1 as a substitute posted elsewhere on the forum, but that chip seems to now be obsolete. Would anyone here happen to know of a suitable substitute?

your help is much appreciated.

#1311 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

I finally decided to take the plunge and attempt to build some Pin2DMD HDs. I put the order into pcbway but TS2940CP33 is out of stock. I saw a recommendation for AZ2940D-3.3TRE1 as a substitute posted elsewhere on the forum, but that chip seems to now be obsolete. Would anyone here happen to know of a suitable substitute?
your help is much appreciated.

You could ask to see if they can use LD39150DT33, it has a lower maximum input voltage of 6.5v. However I'm not sure anybody has validated this part yet, so there is some risk.

#1312 1 year ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Locks like a custom Discovery based shield pcb but to make sure you need to look at the backside of the PCB.
Check https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/

#1313 1 year ago

Pcbway had AZ2940D-3.3TRE1 in stock even though it isn’t being produced anymore, so that’s what I went with

#1314 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Locks like a custom Discovery based shield pcb but to make sure you need to look at the backside of the PCB.
Check https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/

Here’s a pic of the pcbs.

66EB92CD-E748-4AB2-82FE-1BD85EE7C59E.jpeg66EB92CD-E748-4AB2-82FE-1BD85EE7C59E.jpegC6DDB15E-E815-4648-87C5-3DEA04E9E22E.jpegC6DDB15E-E815-4648-87C5-3DEA04E9E22E.jpeg
#1315 1 year ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Here’s a pic of the pcbs.

Lucky's had asked for backside of the PCB. You need to unmount the green one and flip it over.

#1316 1 year ago

I´m pretty sure it is a discovery based design. Look here for upgrade instructions

https://pin2dmd.com/installation/

#1317 1 year ago

Super-dumb question. I’ve got a 2003 LOTR coming in from my brother. I bought this new for him in 2004 as a wedding gift and its in great shape. Would like to upgrade to a color DMD, but I can’t find this in-stock anywhere. Is this still available? Install looks a bit tricky. I’m reasonably technically competent, but my limit ends when generating UNIX command line instructions, etc. Is this doable? If so, where can one order the hardware and get instructions for the software? Thanks, and sorry to thread-crap if this is out-of-order here.

#1318 1 year ago

I would like to assemble one myself but every time I look at all the links and instructions my head starts to spin. I wish there was clearer instructions on how to build one, maybe even a video. And I have an electronics engineering degree!
A pin2dmd video for dummies!

#1319 1 year ago
Quoted from marspinball:

I would like to assemble one myself but every time I look at all the links and instructions my head starts to spin. I wish there was clearer instructions on how to build one, maybe even a video. And I have an electronics engineering degree!
A pin2dmd video for dummies!

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3831-pin2dmd-for-125-diy/

#1320 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Super-dumb question. I’ve got a 2003 LOTR coming in from my brother. I bought this new for him in 2004 as a wedding gift and its in great shape. Would like to upgrade to a color DMD, but I can’t find this in-stock anywhere. Is this still available? Install looks a bit tricky. I’m reasonably technically competent, but my limit ends when generating UNIX command line instructions, etc. Is this doable? If so, where can one order the hardware and get instructions for the software? Thanks, and sorry to thread-crap if this is out-of-order here.

Maybe dzorbas can help you

#1321 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:Super-dumb question. I’ve got a 2003 LOTR coming in from my brother. I bought this new for him in 2004 as a wedding gift and its in great shape. Would like to upgrade to a color DMD, but I can’t find this in-stock anywhere. Is this still available? Install looks a bit tricky. I’m reasonably technically competent, but my limit ends when generating UNIX command line instructions, etc. Is this doable? If so, where can one order the hardware and get instructions for the software? Thanks, and sorry to thread-crap if this is out-of-order here.

Are you looking to buy or build? I do have some stock if you are looking to purchase pre-built. Just send me a direct message.

1 month later
#1322 1 year ago

Finished up my first Pin2DMD colorization - the Shadow (details here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/195#post-7043014).

Moving on to Hurricane next.

#1323 1 year ago

I recently bought a CFTBL and it has a Pin2DMD in it. I am not familiar at all with this system. The colors seem to be messed up on some animations and completely missing from others. How do I know if I have the most up to date firmware and colorization files? And how would I go about updating?

#1324 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakers:

How do I know if I have the most up to date firmware and colorization files? And how would I go about updating?

Go to pin2dmd.com and you should be able to find most of the info you need. I believe 4.4 is the latest firmware available. When you first turn on the machine, it should say what version you have on the dmd. This link to should help on the CFTBL color files - https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4053-creature-from-the-black-lagoon/

#1325 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I recently bought a CFTBL and it has a Pin2DMD in it. I am not familiar at all with this system. The colors seem to be messed up on some animations and completely missing from others. How do I know if I have the most up to date firmware and colorization files? And how would I go about updating?

Make sure color mode is set correctly. You should have red on left and yellow on right when you enter config menu. (IIRC to enter config menu: Hold in reset and either buttons 1 or 2. Release reset and then other button.)

#1326 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I had a similar issue last year and worked with the colorization author and PIN2DMD developers. Tried multiple SDCard vendors and sizes and none worked. The display worked perfectly without the colorization files but would lock up randomly during game play with them.

There is a configuration option to enable or disable memory mapping to Flash or RAM (I can't quite recall the setting name) but inverting that setting completely solved it on my game. Walk through he settings menu and look for a setting to change memory locations and try changing that setting. Hope this helps and solves it for your game!

#1327 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakers:

It sounds like you are using version 1.0 of my project which was a bit of a mess and had some uncoloured scenes and suffered from lots of ghosting. I really didn't get on well with CFTBL in those days, I was glad to see the back of that project! But I grew to love creech and version 2.0 is a massive improvement and far more appropriate for the legendary machine it is, if I say so myself. There is a posting on page 2 of the thread that was linked above that will take you to the latest files hosted on vpuniverse, or drop me a DM and I can send you a direct link later.

If you want to be REALLY sure which version it is just by looking at the display then the say no to drugs/credit screen shown during attract has a subtle difference that can be used to tell if its v1 or v2; under the word "PIN2DMD" at the top of the license plate, if there is a tiny sequence of colours going left to right (just like on the PIN2DMD logo!) then it is v2. Additionally in v2 the rom version screen shown on game bootup should have both some colour variation and a colour sequence that was not present in v1.

The 2.0 project files do need v4+ firmware on the PIN2DMD display, so make sure you get that sorted/confirmed first. For the colour sequence, visit pin2dmd.com, look at the image at the top of the page. When you switch on your display you will see the same logo on the display and the sequence of colours should match. If they don't you need to open the PIN2DMD menu and adjust the setting accordingly. Sort your firmware first as the colour sequence may get changed or reset during that upgrade.

#1328 1 year ago

Thanks, slippifishi

When I power on the game, it says Pin2DMD colorprism 4.3. I don't know if 4.3 is the most up to date firmware, but it looks like I do not have your most up to date color file when looking at the license plate in attract mode. I've downloaded your 2.0 from VPuniverse but am unsure of how to update. I'm assuming I take the SD card out and copy the downloaded files onto it. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to update? I'm using a MacBook (if that even makes a difference).

The downloaded file was zipped and named "cftbl_pin2dmd_2.0_real_128x32"

I unzipped it and now have a folder with "pin2dmd.pal" and "pin2dmd.fsq".

#1329 1 year ago

Well, that was easier than I thought. I just replaced the files on the SD card and it worked. The color update is amazing. It took care of all the color issues I was not liking and added to the great scenes that were already there.

Thanks again, slippifishi

#1331 1 year ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Finished up my first Pin2DMD colorization - the Shadow (details here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club/page/195#post-7043014).
Moving on to Hurricane next.

Excellent! Go Matt go!

#1332 1 year ago

lots of heavy hitters here, slippifishi NetzZwerg and @jedimastermatt, they all make really great work for this platform.
I will be in touch jedimastermatt because I need those Shadow files!

Does anybody know where Tales from Crypt and Star Wars (DE) are? the creators on VPINUniverse are not responding.

#1333 1 year ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Excellent! Go Matt go!

Thanks Dino. Your Pin2DMDs have all made a huge improvement to my games. For anyone that is looking for them, hit up dzorbas. Great service and superb packing and instructions.

As promised in the other thread, here's a link to the finished v1.0 video for the Shadow.

Hurricane is coming along. I do my testing on Vpin at the computer and then take the files out periodically and test on the real machine. I hadn't messed with the real machine for quite a few revisions. It's almost playable through an average game without dropping color. The game does have a bunch of dependant "half frames" that need to be accounted for. It's a bit different from Shadow in that regard where I could basically use only the "long" delay frames and color the whole thing.

1 week later
#1334 1 year ago

so on the github it says

Version 1.X is free for DIY private NON COMMERCIAL use and released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

but if I go to the the old source it just says

Due to excessive copyright violations by using the old source for commercial purposes the authors were forced to remove public access to the sources. The project was changed to allow access to the source code for contributors only with version 2.0. If you like to contribute please contact the authors at vpuniverse. Also a activation key which is bound to the hardware was introduced. More Information how to obtain a key is here http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/132-pin2dmd/

so is it open source or not?

#1335 1 year ago

Has anyone done one for TWD and if so, what about colorizing the output?

#1336 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

I don't know if it's done yet but here's some info. https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4647-the-walking-dead-wip/

#1337 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

It's a work in progress. NetzZwerg does an excellent job with all his projects. Just give it some time as he has been working on updating some other games.

1 week later
#1338 1 year ago

I'm thinking about doing one for Stern Star Trek since no one has really tackled that one.

Who was the guy selling assembled units? I might just take up the challenge.

#1339 1 year ago

Beaster Do you have files for Twister and T3?

If not, who has them?

Also looking for NBA Fast Break.

Thanks!

#1340 1 year ago

If someone could point me in the direction of coloring a SAM title I'd appreciate it! Where do I start?

#1341 1 year ago
Quoted from flecom:

so on the github it says
Version 1.X is free for DIY private NON COMMERCIAL use and released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
but if I go to the the old source it just says
Due to excessive copyright violations by using the old source for commercial purposes the authors were forced to remove public access to the sources. The project was changed to allow access to the source code for contributors only with version 2.0. If you like to contribute please contact the authors at vpuniverse. Also a activation key which is bound to the hardware was introduced. More Information how to obtain a key is here http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/132-pin2dmd/
so is it open source or not?

No it’s not open source, it’s a commercial project which creates revenue via paid licensing codes

#1342 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If someone could point me in the direction of coloring a SAM title I'd appreciate it! Where do I start?

and of course the written tutorial here https://pin2dmd.com/#5
The only difference between SAM and WPC or DataEast Colorizations is that the colorgroups are 16 instead of 4.

If you need further help here is the best place https://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/150-pin2dmd-forums/

#1343 1 year ago

Looking at some of the SAM posts, it looks like colors need to be modified via factory rom file unlike say Data East where you just drop the color files on the SD card correct?

54d0aed5359a62d3d7d408b62a137e112028ab8c (resized).jpg54d0aed5359a62d3d7d408b62a137e112028ab8c (resized).jpg8edf03fa3142b2f997557449e386bf6d064207b7 (resized).jpg8edf03fa3142b2f997557449e386bf6d064207b7 (resized).jpg
#1344 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The only difference between SAM and WPC or DataEast Colorizations is that the colorgroups are 16 instead of 4.
If you need further help here is the best place https://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/150-pin2dmd-forums/

Thank you; great videos!

#1345 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Looking at some of the SAM posts, it looks like colors need to be modified via factory rom file unlike say Data East where you just drop the color files on the SD card correct?

No with the latest version of the editor and firmware and the switch to 64 possible colors per scene you can colorize your machine without rom modification.
The ROM modification is only used by old PinballBrowser colorizations.

#1346 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

No with the latest version of the editor and firmware and the switch to 64 possible colors per scene you can colorize your machine without rom modification.
The ROM modification is only used by old PinballBrowser colorizations.

Ah now we're getting somewhere.

My device has the firmware 4.4, just use the newest pinball browser to open the stern file, extract the dmd scenes, colorize and then export them with the 2 files placed on the SD card?

#1347 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Ah now we're getting somewhere.
My device has the firmware 4.4, just use the newest pinball browser to open the stern file, extract the dmd scenes, colorize and then export them with the 2 files placed on the SD card?

Unfortunately the pinball browser exports are encrypted and can only be used to import them to pinball browser again and not to the pin2dmd editor.
What you can do to get the scenes is to make a dump of them on a real machine using the 64bit pin2dmd.exe tool.
Read here about it https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3666-creating-dmp-files-from-a-real-pin/

#1348 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Unfortunately the pinball browser exports are encrypted and can only be used to import them to pinball browser again and not to the pin2dmd editor.
What you can do to get the scenes is to make a dump of them on a real machine using the 64bit pin2dmd.exe tool.
Read here baout it https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3666-creating-dmp-files-from-a-real-pin/

Someone was kind enough to send me a txt dump of the Trek files.

1 week later
#1349 1 year ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Ok, I'll review these tonight.

I have a GZ dump of the files and started cutting a few and dabbled with coloring a few static ones for practice.

#1350 1 year ago

Bought a Junk Yard with Pin2dmd already installed but only used factory sets of colorization.
Downloaded a work-in-progress on full colorization for JY and it really lifts the game!
Although it’s not complete nor is it bug-free but that’s what it is when it’s a work in progress.
Easy to do, reading online it seemed like a headache but it was easy.
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 27.95
$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.