(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 30.
#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I guess the triggers are too late. You can make a dump (https://pin2dmd.com/tool/#1.3) and provide it to the author of the colorization. I´m pretty sure they are also there in 3.20. If you want go back to that version and check.

Thanks. It's a project on VP site, so I will find the latest contributor and see if they can help or try to work on the project myself.

#1152 3 years ago

Hi! New colorization is here I am finished another game - Family Guy. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know. Whats game to colorize next?
PS: Scene with car in video also was fixed. 

#1153 3 years ago

amazing work.. that family guy makes me want to find one now.

btw, is there any pin2dmd for NASCAR?

i don't think its been worked on..

#1154 3 years ago

Looks stunning!! Excellent work!

#1155 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hi! New colorization is here I am finished another game - Family Guy. Here is fully colorized game without firmware modifications. Works on pin2dmd v 4.05 or later. Here is preview of colorized game. Who interested in files for real pinball let me know. Whats game to colorize next?

Awesome. Congrats.
Here is the Totan 2.0 project by noitbe1 running the Evo 128 x 32, I think it’s running really good and animations looks well done as well. This screen is awesome.

#1156 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Please please do Iron Man next! Your work looks amazing! Would love to see what you can do with Iron Man!

#1157 3 years ago

Dumb question. Sorry I've looked around and can't find the answer. For a DE DMD, the EVO is for 128x16. Do I still get the 2 64x32 panels for that, or should they be 64x16? Thanks

#1158 3 years ago
Quoted from Ace8Track:

Dumb question. Sorry I've looked around and can't find the answer. For a DE DMD, the EVO is for 128x16. Do I still get the 2 64x32 panels for that, or should they be 64x16? Thanks

The 128x16 EVO uses the same panels as the 128x32 EVO. The picture is centered.

#1159 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The 128x16 EVO uses the same panels as the 128x32 EVO. The picture is centered.

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#1160 2 years ago

Building my first batch of evo 128x32 boards, but run into a snag. After putting the board into dfu mode and upgrading the firmware it says to put the board into run mode. I see nothing that explains what that is or how to do it.

I have nothing on the display. When putting it into dfu mode my computer does see it and after installing drivers I was able to run the software which states it was successful.

#1161 2 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Building my first batch of evo 128x32 boards, but run into a snag. After putting the board into dfu mode and upgrading the firmware it says to put the board into run mode. I see nothing that explains what that is or how to do it.
I have nothing on the display. When putting it into dfu mode my computer does see it and after installing drivers I was able to run the software which states it was successful.

Did you use the UPGRADE function and not the UPLOAD function. If you chose UPLOAD you most likely corrupted your firmware file.
Download again and follow the steps here https://pin2dmd.com/installation/#1.2

#1162 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Did you use the UPGRADE function and not the UPLOAD function. If you chose UPLOAD you most likely corrupted your firmware file.
Download again and follow the steps here https://pin2dmd.com/installation/#1.2

I used the upgrade function. I can try it again though and yes I was using those directions. They do not tell the user how to set run mode.

Ran through it again. Also had it verify afterwards. Same deal. I still don't know how to set the damn thing to run mode either.Not entirely sure if the sd card needs to be loaded first. Again, the directions are not clear. Tried connecting it and use the colorPrisim, but no display.

#1163 2 years ago

If you use the part circled in blue and choose the correct firmware, after clicking upgrade (and the task completing and verifying) just push the reset button and you will see the PIN2DMD logo on your displays. There is no need to put it into run mode, I don't know what this run mode is and I have built a lot of these. There is also no need for an SD card at this point, the PIN2DMD will work correctly as long as the correct firmware is loaded.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1164 2 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

If you use the part circled in blue and choose the correct firmware, after clicking upgrade (and the task completing and verifying) just push the reset button and you will see the PIN2DMD logo on your displays. There is no need to put it into run mode, I don't know what this run mode is and I have built a lot of these. There is also no need for an SD card at this point, the PIN2DMD will work correctly as long as the correct firmware is loaded.
[quoted image]

Yep, nada. No display.

#1165 2 years ago

I've got a left over EVO 128x32 board running v4.08 if anyone wants to buy it. PM me...

#1166 2 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Yep, nada. No display.

Any chance you are using the wrong firmware? the firmware file name is PIN2DMD.dfu which you should be getting from the \PIN2DMD\PIN2DMD-master\PIN2DMD-master\firmware\latest\EVO128x32_EVO128x16 - the beginning part of that folder will be different for you as it depends on where on your hard drive you unzipped the project. probably this part is the most important. \firmware\latest\EVO128x32_EVO128x16.

If you are using the correct firmware any chance you have faulty or the wrong type of displays?

Have you soldered in the power wiring and plugged the power cords into the displays?

One test you can do to test if the firmware is running but you have a display problem is insert an SD card, power the PIN2DMD on and off, take out the SD card and read it in your PC. Is there a file written to the card with a longish alphanumeric code? IF it does have this file this then your PIN2DMD is running but you have a displays issue.

#1167 2 years ago

I got the display to come on. I reflowed the connector from the board to the first display section. Got the splash screen and left it at that for now. Going to put the others together and then get them registered.

#1168 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a Pin2DMD board that i want to update to v4.10, but the display just says "Update failed" or something like that.

I have updated 6-7 other boards for my friends, without any problem. I am confident that i have an EVO board, and that i downloaded the correct .upd file. The file is placed in the root of the SD card. Just like every other board i updated.

Any tips to what could be wrong? My board is similar to this one:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1169 2 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hi everyone. I have a Pin2DMD board that i want to update to v4.10, but the display just says "Update failed" or something like that.
I have updated 6-7 other boards for my friends, without any problem. I am confident that i have an EVO board, and that i downloaded the correct .upd file. The file is placed in the root of the SD card. Just like every other board i updated.
Any tips to what could be wrong? My board is similar to this one:[quoted image]

Did you try a different SD card? If I remember correctly the SD card must be 10GB or less to work correctly.

#1170 2 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

I have updated hundreds of them like this after initially installing v3.xx on them using the DfuSe software and my laptop. I have yet to see an "Update failed" message. I would suggest a re-flash using DfuSe and then try running the update from the memory card again. There is a chance that the memory card went bad between the last successful update and this one or that the reader on your last board is bad.

#1171 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Did you try a different SD card? If I remember correctly the SD card must be 10GB or less to work correctly.

I have successfully used 16Gb cards, its hard to find anything smaller these days.

#1172 2 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

I have successfully used 16Gb cards, its hard to find anything smaller these days.

I have 64MB cards (yes, MB!) that I found on AliExpress. I was buying them in lots of 30 and they were about $1 CDN per card so I wasn't worried if a few of them were bad. I also found someone local who had who had 1000 knock-off Sandisk 2GB cards that he was selling to me for $1 each as well. I grabbed a bunch from him.

I've never had any issues with any of these.

#1173 2 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I have 64MB cards (yes, MB!) that I found on AliExpress. I was buying them in lots of 30 and they were about $1 CDN per card so I wasn't worried if a few of them were bad. I also found someone local who had who had 1000 knock-off Sandisk 2GB cards that he was selling to me for $1 each as well. I grabbed a bunch from him.
I've never had any issues with any of these.

Many knock-off cards from Aliexpress and Geek and Bangood are actually 8GB cards... which are silkscreened with higher numbers and name brand logos and then programmed to report 32GB, 64GB or 128GB or whatever they want. I got a few that reported 1TB but they were 8GB cards.

Try WRITING to the card and if the write fails at 8GB, then it is really just a 8GB card. I ONLY buy 16GB cards now SOLD and shipped by Amazon. (Amazon does a genuine sourcing on products, so look for SOLD by Amazon). Google this topic and you'll see how prevalent the fraud is...

#1174 2 years ago

I decided to grab a few more from the local seller that had 1000 of them. He actually had 1200 and offered me the rest of them for $300 CDN. I ended up grabbing 400 of them for $100. At 25 cents a piece I'm not worried about failure.

I know there's a lot of fraud with these cards but for the purpose of the pin2dmds and the size of the files that are put on them, size, in this case, really doesn't matter!

#1175 2 years ago

I use some old 128MB MicroSD from Nokia mobile phones . I also bought some chinese fraud cards reporting they were 2Gig but in fact are 128MB. After partitioning and formatting them to 128MB they work just fine.

#1176 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Nope, haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Quoted from dzorbas:

I have updated hundreds of them like this after initially installing v3.xx on them using the DfuSe software and my laptop. I have yet to see an "Update failed" message. I would suggest a re-flash using DfuSe and then try running the update from the memory card again. There is a chance that the memory card went bad between the last successful update and this one or that the reader on your last board is bad.

I'll try a re-flash. If the reader was bad, i would think that reading the color files would also be an issue? But it is definitely worth trying a re-flash or another SD card.

Thanks for your input!

#1177 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Try WRITING to the card and if the write fails at 8GB,

Yup - I always do a FULL (not 'QUICK') format on SD cards when ordered, to make sure they go 100% through before using them. Luckily, have had very few issues, but it is good to be safe.

#1178 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yup - I always do a FULL (not 'QUICK') format on SD cards when ordered, to make sure they go 100% through before using them. Luckily, have had very few issues, but it is good to be safe.

The QUICK FORMAT won't really expose the fake size issue, as it just writes the index with pointers to what it thinks are valid but are really non-existance memory locations. The only way to see how much is really available is to try WRITING a bunch of files to the card. At some point the PC will error out with an ODD error because it thinks the card still has space but the WRITE command fails. There are utiltiies that can test for FAKE SD cards.

But in any case, most fake cards (regardless of what they are labelled) really use a 8GB flash chip since those are the most common (cheapest) part these days. For smaller applications, like PIN2DMD, I usually just partition the 'cheapo' cards as 8GB (since they are usually ALWAYS using an 8GB flash chips), and then format it as an 8GB card.... regardless of what the label says.

#1179 2 years ago

The QUICK FORMAT won't really expose the fake size issue,

You are correct. I said <b>NOT</b> a quick format. If you do not run a QUICK format, it clears out all the locations on the drive. It takes forever, but it's complete.

#1180 2 years ago

since they are usually ALWAYS using an 8GB flash chips

This made me laugh! Is it usually Mark? Or is it ALWAYS?

Seriously just thought it was funny, not trying to be an ass.

1 month later
#1181 2 years ago

Just released my PIN2DMD HD 256x64. Read more about it here https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5348-pin2dmd-evo-hd-upgrade-to-256x64-resolution/

image1-1 (resized).jpgimage1-1 (resized).jpg

#1182 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Just released my PIN2DMD HD 256x64. Read more about it here https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5348-pin2dmd-evo-hd-upgrade-to-256x64-resolution/
[quoted image]

That looks cool ! Is the picture you show high res content or upscaled ?

When can we try it out ? =D =D =D

#1183 2 years ago

I have a PIN2DMD display that was setup for Data East (Rocky and Bullwinkle) but I want to use it in a SEGA Independence Day instead. Do I need to get a new license file for it in order to use it in the SEGA game?

#1184 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I have a PIN2DMD display that was setup for Data East (Rocky and Bullwinkle) but I want to use it in a SEGA Independence Day instead. Do I need to get a new license file for it in order to use it in the SEGA game?

No. No new license needed. License is coupled to the display, not to the pinball.

#1185 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

No. No new license needed. License is coupled to the display, not to the pinball.

Thank You! The Independence Day that I recently picked up has a bad DMD (lines out) so I want to install the PIN2DMD in that game instead. Finally going to get this installed!

#1186 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

That looks cool ! Is the picture you show high res content or upscaled ?
When can we try it out ? =D =D =D

It is upscaled using Scale2x algo. I will upload the design to pcbway soon.

2 weeks later
#1187 2 years ago

Brand new pin2dmd user. Total newbie. Bought 10 of them, going to register them soon. Need to transfer all my serial # notes from phone to spreadsheet.

In the meantime, I dropped the artwork for STTNG on the SD card (16GB from Microcenter) to test in the 3 minute demo period. The artwork is there but the colorizations I think are wrong. Text is all white, and the stars are red. Looking at pics of what it should look like -- a lot more blues.

Looking at the initial Colorprism splash screen without game hooked up and comparing to images on the internet I think the color squares at the top are in the right sequence so that should rule out a RGB / RBG / BRG type ordering issue. Plus white text is all 3 LEDs not just one.

Software version 4.12. Had no issues uploading the firmware into them. This is the first real machine I've tried. Could the artwork file be old from an earlier version? Is this an issue or no?

Any pointers appreciated.

Just paid for AFM, going to buy ToM next. Need TZ and DocWho as well. I downloaded the editor and might poke at continuing the coloring of DocWho frames.

#1188 2 years ago
Quoted from telmnstr:

In the meantime, I dropped the artwork for STTNG on the SD card (16GB from Microcenter) to test in the 3 minute demo period. The artwork is there but the colorizations I think are wrong. Text is all white, and the stars are red. Looking at pics of what it should look like -- a lot more blues.

Demo mode does not include colorization support.

#1189 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Demo mode does not include colorization support.

Ah okay. So once I license it with ya then it will kick in all the way?

Will try to get the serials together tomorrow when I can get back to it.

#1190 2 years ago

Is anyone currently selling completely assembled pin2dmds around these parts? I'd love to try one out in my BSD.

#1191 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Is anyone currently selling completely assembled pin2dmds around these parts? I'd love to try one out in my BSD.

I’m out of town until Monday, but shoot me a PM next week and I have one I’ll sell you for what I have in it that I haven’t ever used.

—Donnie

#1192 2 years ago

HI All

I have a Pin2dmd ST32 which came with an attack from mars i recently purchased,

It looks as though the attack from mars file it came with is only in 4 colour so looks pretty poor

Did anyone have any luck getting better quality/more colours from their ST32 or is this normal??

Vbobrusev wasnt sure if his file would work on the ST32 so suggested to check if anyone knew here?

Thanks.

#1193 2 years ago
Quoted from paulg100:I have a Pin2dmd ST32 which came with an attack from mars i recently purchased

If you have the correct colour file and the display is activated, you should be getting much more than 4 colours. Have a look here:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5667-medieval-madness/

#1194 2 years ago

OK great thanks, that medieval madness image looks a heck of allot better than my ATM at the minute.!!

Something definitely dosent seem right.

#1195 2 years ago

I am also looking for a pin2dmd if anyone has one laying around.

#1196 2 years ago

Hello friends -

My Pin2DMD which has worked flawlessly in the past is starting to occasionally exhibit an issue where the DMD will no longer update and I just see a couple of horizontal lines. Is this a known issue, or is there a connection or setting I should take a look at ?

#1197 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hello friends -
My Pin2DMD which has worked flawlessly in the past is starting to occasionally exhibit an issue where the DMD will no longer update and I just see a couple of horizontal lines. Is this a known issue, or is there a connection or setting I should take a look at ?

Have you reseated all the ribbon cables? If you’re not running the latest firmware it would be worth updating that as well.

#1198 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Have you reseated all the ribbon cables? If you’re not running the latest firmware it would be worth updating that as well.

I haven’t done anything yet; I’ll do that first. The game has been packed up for a year so it’s not a bad idea. Not sure if I have the latest firmware I’ll check that too, but I know this wasn’t happening before. Probably just a connection issue - it goes away when I reset the game.

#1199 2 years ago

Are there any recent colorization projects completed for Dr Who?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 180.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/24?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.