(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 30.
#1001 4 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

While this really is a shitty practice, in all fairness I should state that my DMDST32 was not sold with hacked firmware, but with unregistered PIN2DMD firmware (I bought 2 keys for them with @lucky1 back in 2017).

The majority of devices with this firmware were sold to the southern countries like spain, portugal, italy.

1 week later
#1002 4 years ago

Just added support for spanish Sleic pinball machines to the upcoming V3.06 PIN2DMD firmware. Here is a little test of the Bike Race attract mode. I did a quick colorization of the Bike Race, Sleic and Petaco logo to test full colorization features of PIN2DMD

#1003 4 years ago

get me some complete dumps

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

get me some complete dumps

When I have finished my work on the firmware I will record a complete dump using my pin2dmd tool.

#1005 4 years ago

New version on https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

V3.05

- add usb raw transfer directly into displaybuffer for better speed with P-ROC and MPF
- show activation status in onscreen menu

V3.06

- add Sleic / Petaco to devicemode and autodetection
- add DE128x16 mode for TMNT and CP to autodetection
- change timing of autodetection

#1006 4 years ago

Any relatively simple ways to turn this thing into a clock? I know there have been DMD clocks in the past, but never followed in much detail.

--Donnie

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Any relatively simple ways to turn this thing into a clock? I know there have been DMD clocks in the past, but never followed in much detail.
--Donnie

https://go-dmd.de/ can be used with the discovery shield based pin2dmd

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

https://go-dmd.de/ can be used with the discovery shield based pin2dmd

V3.05 Was awesome. Is there any little improvements with V3.06 for P-ROC?

#1009 4 years ago

Another led-panel based clock project : RPI2DMD

#1010 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

It looks like 3.05 made the display more responsive. Is this the case ?

#1011 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

No !

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It looks like 3.05 made the display more responsive. Is this the case ?

For P-ROC and MPF yes !

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

No !

For P-ROC and MPF yes !

Cool!

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

No !

For P-ROC and MPF yes !

That’s even greater!

2 months later
#1014 4 years ago

Before I place a pcbway order, does anyone in the states have a spare Evo board (or two)?

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Before I place a pcbway order, does anyone in the states have a spare Evo board (or two)?

You are probably 45-60 days from delivery. I'm waiting on 50 that I ordered about two weeks ago. They are telling me they will be done closer to the end of April. If all you want are the boards without components that process seems to be much better, maybe a couple weeks. The SMT parts purchase and assembly is what is taking time.

#1016 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I have some extra.

2 weeks later
#1017 3 years ago

I have a few extra assembled 128x32 EVOs available if anybody is interested. Unregistered with a Sony 16GB microSD. Let me know if you need one.

#1018 3 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I have a few extra assembled 128x32 EVOs available if anybody is interested. Unregistered with a Sony 16GB microSD. Let me know if you need one.

Anyone has ever done any test running an EVO 128/32 with Ubuntu through a USB transfer ? I had great result with windows 10 but unfortunately really slow with Ubuntu.

Test Ubuntu

Test windows 10

1 week later
#1019 3 years ago

Hi all -

I am having a recent problem with my Pin2DMD. When I play a few games on the machine (Williams MB), after a while the display goes black except for 2 lines, it’s like the Pin2DMD shuts off and the LED panel is just powered on.

Has anyone had this issue? Nothing I can do in the game will reset it - however I can power cycle the game and everything is fine again.

#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hi all -
I am having a recent problem with my Pin2DMD. When I play a few games on the machine (Williams MB), after a while the display goes black except for 2 lines, it’s like the Pin2DMD shuts off and the LED panel is just powered on.
Has anyone had this issue? Nothing I can do in the game will reset it - however I can power cycle the game and everything is fine again.

Which firmware version ? How do you power your display ? Does it also happen when no colorization is installed ?

#1021 3 years ago

Which firmware version ? How do you power your display ? Does it also happen when no colorization is installed ?

Recent firmware version - I will confirm exact number. Display is powered from the game (not external power). I will test without colorization

I have had this board working in the game for at least 6 to 9 months working great, no changes. This just started happening a few days ago

#1022 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Recent firmware version - I will confirm exact number. Display is powered from the game (not external power). I will test without colorization
I have had this board working in the game for at least 6 to 9 months working great, no changes. This just started happening a few days ago

Where exactly did you get the power from ? 12V POWER, 12V DIGITAL, 5V DIGITAL ? What is also possible is a issue with the SD card.

#1023 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Where exactly did you get the power from ? 12V POWER, 12V DIGITAL, 5V DIGITAL ? What is also possible is a issue with the SD card.

Thanks for responding so quickly! It is powered from 12V, connected to J138

Firmware is 3.03

#1024 3 years ago

J138 should be fine. Please update to the latest 3.12 version and try the following:
- rename yor pin2dmd.pal & pin2dmd.fsq to pin2dmd.pa_ and pin2dmd.fs_
- copy a fresh version of pin2dmd.pal and fsq to your SD card.
That way you make sure the new files use different sectors on the SD card and you don´t have corrupted files.

#1025 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

J138 should be fine. Please update to the latest 3.12 version and try the following:
- rename yor pin2dmd.pal & pin2dmd.fsq to pin2dmd.pa_ and pin2dmd.fs_
- copy a fresh version of pin2dmd.pal and fsq to your SD card.
That way you make sure the new files use different sectors on the SD card and you don´t have corrupted files.

Thanks for the advice! I will do that
I also did a test today and confirmed something: the issue starts whenever I begin the Creature from the Black Lagoon Mode. This appears to happen every time - I wonder if it is indeed a corrupt Sd card.

Is this something I will need to plan for in the future? SD cards becoming corrupted is not a new concept but I assumed the Pin2DMD does not write to the SD card much. Does this happen often?

#1026 3 years ago

Updated to 3.12, re-loaded files as you suggested. I will have to wait to play a few games but here’s to hoping!

#1027 3 years ago

hello Joerg,
is 3.12 better than 3.11 as far as performance?

thanks in advance

#1028 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

hello Joerg,
is 3.12 better than 3.11 as far as performance?
thanks in advance

No !

#1029 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

the issue starts whenever I begin the Creature from the Black Lagoon Mode.

Could be an error in the colorization then.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

SD cards becoming corrupted is not a new concept but I assumed the Pin2DMD does not write to the SD card much. Does this happen often?

It depends on your SD card. I have some USB sticks which I use for a couple of years now and others that died within 2 years. Pin2dmd does not write to SD during normal operation.

#1030 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Could be an error in the colorization then.

It depends on your SD card. I have some USB sticks which I use for a couple of years now and others that died within 2 years. Pin2dmd does not write to SD during normal operation.

I dont' think it is the colorization. I have used this for half a year or more, and have never had the Pin2DMD lock like this. I bet it is the card.

Thanks for the clarification re: the SDCard writes. Thank you! I'll post more when I can play a few games.

#1031 3 years ago

Thanks! Always curious and glad for new updates.

1 week later
#1032 3 years ago

I would normally post this at VPuniverse but that website seems to be having trouble these days.
I have competed 3 PIN2DMDs using the V4-Nucleo shield. I have built a few before and I can't remember having the same issue.

The issue is the SD card reader does not seem to work. Is there a way to fault find this problem? I have checked continuity for all of the pins and all are good except SD-CD, but I believe this is not used in any case. The actual SD reader is a waveshare that I have used on the other working PIN2DMD.

I believe that the SD card reader is not working because:
- the firmware update did not work.
- I have put the key onto the card and the DMD is still not activated
_ put fsq and pal files on the card and they are not used

The SD card itself is good, I tried it in a fully working PIN2DMD.

#1033 3 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

I would normally post this at VPuniverse but that website seems to be having trouble these days.

I have been having all sorts of connection issues with VPuniverse too. Thought it was just me as the rare time I can get on, there are days worth of messages.

#1034 3 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

I have been having all sorts of connection issues with VPuniverse too. Thought it was just me as the rare time I can get on, there are days worth of messages.

They had some huge problem a few weeks back and the site is still getting back online slowly. There’s only one or two people who work on it so it may take a while

#1035 3 years ago

I had the same sort of problem a while ago with the key not working from the SD card on a new build. I ended up activating it via a usb cord with the pin2dmd.exe utility. From the top menu of the tool, clicked 'device', then 'activate' and found the key file on my computer. Haven't tested extensively but it did work a few times after that on the bench.

#1036 3 years ago

Turned out my problem with the SD card reader wad 2 faulty SD Card devices. I had 6 all together, I got around to testing all of them and only 4 would work.
So now I need to buy just 2 x SD Card readers.

#1037 3 years ago

Help - I purchased a pin2dmd off the group in 2016. I am finally getting ready to use it, I activated it with the sd-card that worked perfect. The display now says Virtual Display on the bottom. The problem I have is it has a UncleSash rev 2.0b board with a stm32f4-discovery board attached, the shield board does not have menu button to go in and adjust the display settings. If I need to purchase an updated board I would be glad to point me the way. Thanks Arnie

2IY%2FRDRu+ilmTbwjpHxQ (resized).jpg2IY%2FRDRu+ilmTbwjpHxQ (resized).jpgBniRTxBsTFuflUExZd140A (resized).jpgBniRTxBsTFuflUExZd140A (resized).jpgalPY8+%DShig1onx3nGt+w (resized).jpgalPY8+%DShig1onx3nGt+w (resized).jpgnOieT8hNTpSgR5Q+C08iHA (resized).jpgnOieT8hNTpSgR5Q+C08iHA (resized).jpgqVPh6RP7SO+9Hqts2IEv%w (resized).jpgqVPh6RP7SO+9Hqts2IEv%w (resized).jpg
#1038 3 years ago
Quoted from ArnieC:

Help - I purchased a pin2dmd off the group in 2016. I am finally getting ready to use it, I activated it with the sd-card that worked perfect. The display now says Virtual Display on the bottom. The problem I have is it has a UncleSash rev 2.0b board with a stm32f4-discovery board attached, the shield board does not have menu button to go in and adjust the display settings. If I need to purchase an updated board I would be glad to point me the way. Thanks Arnie
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I built my own board and it also doesn't have the menu buttons. I was able to use the config tool to make the necessary changes: https://pin2dmd.com/tool/

#1039 3 years ago
Quoted from ArnieC:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I believe the blue and black buttons marked "user" and "reset" are how you get into the menu; hold User and press Reset

#1040 3 years ago

Hi All I just bought a PIN2DMD and was hoping someone has already created a file for Waterworld they could share.
Thanks, Jeff

#1041 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe the blue and black buttons marked "user" and "reset" are how you get into the menu; hold User and press Reset

No, the menu buttons are on the shield but you can also use the pin2dmd tool to generate a config file or configure through USB directly .

#1042 3 years ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

Hi All I just bought a PIN2DMD and was hoping someone has already created a file for Waterworld they could share.
Thanks, Jeff

Check on VPuniverse

#1043 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Check on VPuniverse

Nothing there for Waterworld, they only have 14 files

#1044 3 years ago

Does anyone had any experience with Pin2DMD on early Sega WhiteStars? I'm trying to make an EVO work with Apollo 13 and all I get is the Pin2DMD splash screen. I've tried both Data-East/Sega and Stern WhiteStar-modes, both have the same outcome. The EVO in question works in WPC mode in WPC games and sort-of works in this A13 in that mode, but the timing is off, as expected. The game's original plasma display works fine and verifies the display controller works normally. No mods or aftermarket boards installed.

IMG_9084 (resized).jpegIMG_9084 (resized).jpegIMG_9083 (resized).jpegIMG_9083 (resized).jpeg
#1045 3 years ago
Quoted from APz:

Does anyone had any experience with Pin2DMD on early Sega WhiteStars? I'm trying to make an EVO work with Apollo 13 and all I get is the Pin2DMD splash screen. I've tried both Data-East/Sega and Stern WhiteStar-modes, both have the same outcome. The EVO in question works in WPC mode in WPC games and sort-of works in this A13 in that mode, but the timing is off, as expected. The game's original plasma display works fine and verifies the display controller works normally. No mods or aftermarket boards installed.

Could you make a picture of the backside of the board ? Does the red LED flicker ?

#1046 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Could you make a picture of the backside of the board ? Does the red LED flicker ?

I can take one tomorrow if needed, but it does and in WPC mode it produces a picture, but naturally with wrong timing. The red LED flickers also in Data-East/Sega mode but the display stays in the splash screen.

#1047 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I got it working, but I'm not perfectly sure why. I connected a computer to it and used the pin2dmd software to flip the settings. WPC and Capcom did show picture right away, except capcom was off by some pixels, but after I flipped the signal enhancer checkbox and saved, it Data-East/Sega mode started working. I was under the assumption that it did nothing on Evo boards.

Anyway, now it looks as expected!

IMG_9093 (resized).jpegIMG_9093 (resized).jpeg
#1048 3 years ago
Quoted from APz:

I got it working, but I'm not perfectly sure why. I connected a computer to it and used the pin2dmd software to flip the settings. WPC and Capcom did show picture right away, except capcom was off by some pixels, but after I flipped the signal enhancer checkbox and saved, it Data-East/Sega mode started working. I was under the assumption that it did nothing on Evo boards.
Anyway, now it looks as expected!
[quoted image]

Did you enable or disable the enhancer ? On EVO it always need to be enabled (default setting) otherwise important parts are missing on the pcb and you might experience glitches. That is why I wanted to see the back of the pcb, to check that all necessary parts are there.

#1049 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Did you enable or disable the enhancer ? On EVO it always need to be enabled (default setting) otherwise important parts are missing on the pcb and you might experience glitches. That is why I wanted to see the back of the pcb, to check that all necessary parts are there.

I enabled it. I couldn't find that in the device's integrated menu, only from the pin2dmd tool.

#1050 3 years ago
Quoted from APz:

I enabled it. I couldn't find that in the device's integrated menu, only from the pin2dmd tool.

There is a Enhancer setting in the onscreen menu.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/21?hl=tinyblackdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.